Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Position after Tenn Loss

If we lose next Sunday, what's the worst possible draft position we can have?

4th?

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM by archer56.)

Quote:And where does this "understanding" come from?
I would also like to know. I've heard rumors of teams that would like to draft a mobile QB but everyone said that was likely Manziel and the mocks have us taking him so..

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Giants just lost...the worst we can do is #8 now if we win next week.

60% of the Time...It works everytime...

Quote:If we lose next Sunday, what's the worst possible draft position we can have?

4th?

By my estimate if we lose we will be the 3rd pick...#2 if Washington wins.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Quote:Giants just lost...the worst we can do is #8 now if we win next week.
You might want to check that score again. Giants won 23-20 in OT

You must be thinking of the Seahawks, Raiders, Packers, Redskins, Lions or Ravens, they all joined us in the loss column.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:By my estimate if we lose we will be the 3rd pick...#2 if Washington wins.
They should win, they have a franchise QB, oh wait........................

Well go Redskins anyway, Capt. Kirk for the win.

glad that the ravens lost. They've been getting lucky the past couple of weeks and ruining or draft picks.

Quote:You might want to check that score again. Giants won 23-20 in OT

You must be thinking of the Seahawks, Raiders, Packers, Redskins, Lions or Ravens, they all joined us in the loss column.

My Bad, that's what I meant to say...Giants won, which helps the Jags.

Quote:My Bad, that's what I meant to say...Giants won, which helps the Jags.
Good. As a Jags fan, I will take all the help from any team wanting to help the Jags out, even their most hated rivals.

I will also NEVER root for them to lose, it's just not in my nature and it shouldn't be in any true Jags fan.

Quote: 

I will also NEVER root for them to lose, it's just not in my nature and it shouldn't be in any true Jags fan.

Its unorthodox, we just have different viewpoints on how to get to the same result.  In the end we both want what is best for the Jags in the long run.  Personally, I don't see the benefit in beating Indy next week.  I'm a diehard to the bone but don't want to see us win next week.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 02:15 AM by Jinjo.)

Quote:Its unorthodox, we just have different viewpoints on how to get to the same result.  In the end we both want what is best for the Jags in the long run.  Personally, I don't see the benefit in beating Indy next week.  I'm a diehard to the bone but don't want to see us win next week.

The "you arent a true fan if you root for us to lose" argument is complete garbage. A smart fan IMO wants whats best for the franchise going forward.

There is no such thing as "installing a winning culture" despite what people may say. Either you have the talent to be good or you dont. Thats what the NFL is about. Can you win 1 on 1 match ups. Or do you have a QB that can carry you to victory. To improve in either of those departments it is beneficial for the team to lose at the moment.

Quote:We gave the Texans QB of their choice. Let's hope he fails

We did not give the Texans anything except two losses and arguably coaching vacancy.They earned the #1 pick by losing every game except the first two. We also have no idea what they want to do with that pick and are only assuming the most logical way to use it is draft the best available quarterback.

Quote:Assuming we lose, the third pick will be ours.

We could have the second pick if the Redskins win

If we lose and the Redskins win, we get the #2 pick. If both teams lose, which is what I expect, or somehow both teams win, we stay at #3.

Quote:One thing I have learned is you cannot predict the draft 3 or more months in advance. At one point last year Geno Smith was picked by some experts at going #1 overall.

We still have the rookie minicamps and combine. Tons can change before the draft. My point is it's too early to worry about it

You can't even predict the draft three weeks in advance. Remember when everybody said the Texans will pick Reggie Bush like they had already made up their minds? It  did not happen because at the last minute, the Texans realized he wanted too much money in his rookie contract. That will never happen again because of the new wage scale for rookies, so I am just pointing out the draft is never really predictable.

I am worrying about two things: beating the Colts and clinching the #3 spot anyway. For that to happen, all other 4-11 teams have to win next week.

Quote:The "you arent a true fan if you root for us to lose" argument is complete garbage. A smart fan IMO wants whats best for the franchise going forward.

There is no such thing as "installing a winning culture" despite what people may say. Either you have the talent to be good or you don't. Thats what the NFL is about. Can you win 1 on 1 matchups? Or do you have a QB that can carry you to victory? To improve in either of those departments it is beneficial for the team to lose at the moment.

So you must learn a few things that every fan needs to know.

1. A smart fan knows no team ever tanks for higher draft picks. Every team says you play to win the game no matter what their record is.

2. Installling a winning culture is a crucial part of the rebuilding process. That means making players want to work hard every day.

3. It is never beneficial for a team to lose its last game for better draft position. If the Redskins lose, we clinch #3 no matter what we do.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 03:43 AM by archer56.)

Quote: 

3. It is never beneficial for a team to lose its last game for better draft position. If the Redskins lose, we clinch #3 no matter what we do.
I was under the impression that if we win this next game and no other 4 win teams do we would actually pick 8th, which is much different than 3.

Also while I disagree with tanking, insulting someone on their philosophies of how a team gets better is on the same level of politics and religion really, just because you think a certain way is right, it doesn't mean that all the rest are wrong, so you should come down from your high armchair of GMness that your mommy purchased for you so you could tell yourself that you're important, and try to have a civil conversation. I mean let's be honest, we're all awesome on the internet and message boards so there's no reason for you to take out your troll stick and start insulting people over an opinion just because you happen to think it's wrong.

Quote:I was under the impression that if we win this next game and no other 4 win teams do we would actually pick 8th, which is much different than 3.

Look at the Week 17 schedule. The NFL has a rule now that all Week 17 games be divisional matchups to make more playoff spots up for grabs. How many of the other 4-11 teams (the Vikings do not count) have a great chance of winning their last game? I don't see it happening.

So are you agreeing with my post then? Because you're saying if we win, there is really no other chance the other 4 win teams will win, thus moving us to the 8th pick

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 04:52 AM by Bullseye.)

Even if we lose Sunday and end up picking 2nd or 3rd overall, it would benefit us greatly if the other 4 win teams won.

In the event two or more teams end up with the same record, order in the 1st round is determined by strength of schedule. However, the order rotates round by round such that in that group of teams with the same record, the team that picks first in that group in the first round moves to the bottom of that group in the 2nd, while the rest of the group moves up one.

As it now stands there are some five teams with 4-11 records. If we all finish with 4-12 records, the Jaguars might pick 3rd overall in round 1, but maybe 8th overall in round 2.

If Jacksonville decided to go Clowney or Barr at 3, we'd likely need to trade up quite a bit to ensure a QB ahead of those that did not get one at the top of round one, so it benefits us if that group of four win teams is small.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Predominately takes snaps out of shotgun, loves his flats and bubble screens? Ok yeah different player
Look - I get it.  Watching Gabbert suck for three years scares me away from QBs that play shotgun, 1 or 2 read systems too.  (Carr)  But I would challenge you to watch three of Bortles cut-ups and three of Gabberts from college.  Yeah, Bortles isn't under center - but when the ball hits his hands - he's very different than BG.  The footwork, the composure, the speed of the read (even if it's pre determined) all look better.  When he does get pressure - he  usually keeps looking downfield.  Gabbert NEVER did that.  

I can see him adapting to an NFL offense much more smoothly than BG's attempt - despite UCF's non-pro scheme.  He's probably not a first year starter - and I've never promoted him as  my favorite pick. I just think the Gabbert comparison is superficial. 

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2013, 05:20 AM by FreeAgent01.)

Quote:Look - I get it. Watching Gabbert suck for three years scares me away from QBs that play shotgun, 1 or 2 read systems too. (Carr) But I would challenge you to watch three of Bortles cut-ups and three of Gabberts from college. Yeah, Bortles isn't under center - but when the ball hits his hands - he's very different than BG. The footwork, the composure, the speed of the read (even if it's pre determined) all look better. When he does get pressure - he usually keeps looking downfield. Gabbert NEVER did that.

I can see him adapting to an NFL offense much more smoothly than BG's attempt - despite UCF's non-pro scheme. He's probably not a first year starter - and I've never promoted him as my favorite pick. I just think the Gabbert comparison is superficial.
I partially agree.

All shotgun offenses aren't alike. UCF isn't air raid, one read garbage like Fresno State. The only gimmick in UCF's offense is a lot of read/option, which is becoming popular in the NFL. Bortles goes through progressions and his short passes are dump offs, not 0's and screens.

Quote:Look - I get it. Watching Gabbert suck for three years scares me away from QBs that play shotgun, 1 or 2 read systems too. (Carr) But I would challenge you to watch three of Bortles cut-ups and three of Gabberts from college. Yeah, Bortles isn't under center - but when the ball hits his hands - he's very different than BG. The footwork, the composure, the speed of the read (even if it's pre determined) all look better. When he does get pressure - he usually keeps looking downfield. Gabbert NEVER did that.

I can see him adapting to an NFL offense much more smoothly than BG's attempt - despite UCF's non-pro scheme. He's probably not a first year starter - and I've never promoted him as my favorite pick. I just think the Gabbert comparison is superficial.

Haha I think you might be right, the problem is I see comparisons in some places which just makes me think déjàvu..I'm just scared!

Both predominately play shotgun, both shot up the draft because other quarterbacks decided to go back to school (luck and mariota)..

You are probably right I'm just paranoid!