Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Teddy Bridgewater has contemplated staying in school.

Quote:Why do you care how many years he's been in school?  If he redshirted or not is pretty important.

Because when people say things like Johnny Manziel was the first freshman to win the Heisman, I get totally confused after reading he will be eligible for the next draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013, 04:20 PM by CSTblank.)

Quote:Because when people say things like Johnny Manziel was the first freshman to win the Heisman, I get totally confused after reading he will be eligible for the next draft.
He was a red shirt freshman, so technically that is correct. Not a true freshman. Usually you will hear the distinction between the two when being talked about. Either you are a true freshman, or a red shirt freshman. 

No true freshman has ever won the Heisman.

Edit: further reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

Quote:He was a red shirt freshman, so technically that is correct. Not a true freshman. Usually you will hear the distinction between the two when being talked about. Either you are a true freshman, or a red shirt freshman. 

No true freshman has ever won the Heisman.

It sure would have been nice if they made that distinction when he won the Heisman. All I ever read was "first freshman," not "first redshirt freshman."

The same thing happened with Michael Vick. All I read was sophomore, not redshirt sophomore, so I could not understand how he could be eligible for the 2001 draft.

Quote:Everyone is saying he will be the #1 pick that year, so does it really matter? That means we have no shot at him.

But if we were guaranteed to get the top pick and had to choose between Bridgewater and Winston, who would you pick?
Winston; he's just something else as a prospect.  Even if he can come out right now as a redshirt freshman with only 1 year of Div I experience, he'll still be the 1st overall pick ahead of Clowney, Bart, or whoever.

Quote:It sure would have been nice if they made that distinction when he won the Heisman. All I ever read was "first freshman," not "first redshirt freshman."

The same thing happened with Michael Vick. All I read was sophomore, not redshirt sophomore, so I could not understand how he could be eligible for the 2001 draft.
After this thread you should get it now!

Quote:It sure would have been nice if they made that distinction when he won the Heisman. All I ever read was "first freshman," not "first redshirt freshman."

They were correct when they say "first freshman" because Manziel was the first player to win the Heisman, regardless of "true" or "redshirt".

The NFL made it a policy that stated a prospect has to be at least 3 years removed from high school to be eligible to enter the NFL draft.  Now, I don't know if that policy was implemented before or after 2001.  Anyone remember Maurice Clarrett?  He and another student tried to challenge the system so that htey can enter the 2003 NFL draft, but the court ruled in favor of the NFL so they couldn't declare until a year later. 

As far as Vick was concerned, yes he was a redshirt sophomore.  To avoid any confusion, just remember this: a college prospect has to be at least 3 years removed from high school in order to be eligible for the NFL draft, which means, at the earliest, he is either a true junior or a redshirt sophomore.

Quote:What it is may be fairly straightfoward, but why it is that way definitely is not. That is what I don't understand. Why do that instead of just call him what he is, a sophomore, so everyone knows it is his second year since he graduated from high school? I don't care if he redshirted. I only care about how many years he has been in school.

You have to use the term redshirt because how else would you describe a guy who's been in college 5 years? Would he be a 2nd year senior etc?

Now I think we've grasped this the next step is looking at how someone can go from a true freshman to a redshirt sophomore due to medical grounds..anyone want to explain?

Quote:You have to use the term redshirt because how else would you describe a guy who's been in college 5 years? Would he be a 2nd year senior etc?

Now I think we've grasped this the next step is looking at how someone can go from a true freshman to a redshirt sophomore due to medical grounds..anyone want to explain?

I have heard "fifth year senior."

A "Fifth year senior" is a redshirt senior.  The term "redshirt" is needed to differentiate the number of year eligibility the student athlete has left to play NCAA sport versus how many years they attended the university.  Another example is if the student athlete has an injury or medical problem that prohibited him from participating in the following year, then the NCAA might grant him an additional year of eligibility to make up for the year he was prohibited because of medical reason.

I'm pretty sure this thread has two to three pages left in it before it gets completely redundant.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Lol this is great

Quote:I'm pretty sure this thread has two to three pages left in it before it gets completely redundant.
I've got more

Quote:Everyone is saying he will be the #1 pick that year, so does it really matter? That means we have no shot at him.

But if we were guaranteed to get the top pick and had to choose between Bridgewater and Winston, who would you pick?

I can't answer that because I haven't watched enough Winston. From what I hear, he sounds like a fantastic prospect, but I'll have to make up my mind when I watch him.

On Wisconsin.

Quote:I think Vangrant bolted when our tanking stopped
not surprising

Posted yesterday on twitter by Teddy:

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/teddyb_h2o'>Teddy Bridgewater ‏@teddyb_h2o</a><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/teddyb_h2o/status/412788119596187648' title="10:35 PM - 16 Dec 13">9h</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">As of December 16, 2013 10:34 PM, I can officially say I'm done with school..!! Now it's time to walk across that stage Thursday

Quote:Posted yesterday on twitter by Teddy:

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/teddyb_h2o'>Teddy Bridgewater<span style="color:rgb(187,187,187);">@
teddyb_h2o
</a><a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/teddyb_h2o/status/412788119596187648'>9h</a></span>

As of December 16, 2013 10:34 PM, I can officially say I'm done with school..!! Now it's time to walk across that stage Thursday

That's a fake account afaik teddy doesn't have a proper one

Quote:That's a fake account afaik teddy doesn't have a proper one
It is absolutely his real account. 

Quote:That's a fake account afaik teddy doesn't have a proper one

lol it's his real account.  

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013, 10:14 AM by knarnn.)

This was the article he retweeted right before that tweet above.

Quote:Louisville junior quarterback Teddy Bridgewater said he is "undecided" whether to return for his senior year and will make the decision following the Cardinals' bowl game.

"I've been hearing all these stories that I've made a decision -- I haven't made a decision," Bridgewater said Monday. "I will talk to my mom and the coaches before making my decision. I'm not leaning either way.

Bridgewater said he's not leaning either way, but admitted he's been paying close attention to the other quarterbacks that have decided to remain in school or declare early.

He will decide on his future "hopefully three-to-four days after" Louisville's Russell Athletic Bowl against Miami on Dec. 28 in Orlando, Fla., when he is "comfortable" with his decision. He is not going to set a specific deadline.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10149266&src=desktop'>http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10149266&src=desktop</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

The thought of Teddy in teal and black made me giddy a couple months ago. Not so much anymore.

If this guy is really dumb enough to consider the option of staying in school during a weak QB year in the draft and essentially a guaranteed top 2 pick, we don't need someone with that mental ineptitude on our roster.