Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Comet ISON

Quote: 

<div>Ha, so you succumb to my torture that space never ends. Smile

You use shapes to discuss a finite space. Space can not have a shape. Considering space in any shape means there is an outer space, space. Tongue

It can't end. I consider the end of space to be impossible. You can travel one direction and come back to the starting location, which puts you on a sphere ... a sphere is a shape, space cannot have a shape. :blink:

</div>

No, I just don't wish to speak as an expert in a field that I am anything but an expert in. Tongue

Quote:I think Deacon's Stephen King argument is a much more "well-rounded" approach to this question. The farthest that Humans have ever traveled is the Moon. And even our deep space probes like Voyager 1 have only recently, just left the Solar System. And keep in mind that, that thing is travelling at a top speed of 38,610 MPH. And it's still not anywhere near as fast as some celestial objects out there. Heck, our entire Solar System is said to travel at a speed of almost 515,000 MPH.  And it still would take us millions, if not billions of years to travel across our own Galaxy. 

And to think that our Galaxy is one of only an "infinite" amount of Galaxies out there. We're still not entirely sure how big our Universe really is. That's why Astronomers only call our part of the Universe the "Observable Universe". I.E. only the parts of the Universe that we can see from Earth. We're not entirely certain if our Universe is the only Universe out there.

Basically the point is, is that the Universe is so big, that "Big" really isn't the best word to describe it. The Human mind simply cannot comprehend it.

Ah, but it's still fun to try! At one point, the human mind was considered incapable of comprehending anything beyond this planet. If we had given up for such a reason in the past we'd be relegated to only looking to explain what is on Earth.

A futile attempt at pushing the boundary of our knowledge is better than no attempt at all.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, I just don't wish to speak as an expert in a field that I am anything but an expert in. Tongue

That pretty much limits your conversations to undoing a raval. Huh  At least you got that going for you.

Scout Master Bob ... "Ah crap, the tents are raveled, might as well call the camp out for tonight off, I will go tell the kids"

Poof: Have no fear, Unravel Man is here. Tongue

Quote:Ah, but it's still fun to try! At one point, the human mind was considered incapable of comprehending anything beyond this planet. If we had given up for such a reason in the past we'd be relegated to only looking to explain what is on Earth.

A futile attempt at pushing the boundary of our knowledge is better than no attempt at all.
Agreed. But, ancient Humans were well aware of other Planets out there like Venus, Mars, and Jupiter. Even before telescopes. Most civilizations mainly tracked them for agricultural, as well as Religious purposes.

Quote:Agreed. But, ancient Humans were well aware of other Planets out there like Venus, Mars, and Jupiter. Even before telescopes. Most civilizations mainly tracked them for agricultural, as well as Religious purposes.

Yes, but tracking isn't exactly comprehending.

Quote:Yes, but tracking isn't exactly comprehending.

They (we) had to start somewhere.

500 years from now, people are going to think we were pretty unintelligent about space. We are limited by means available to us, as was our ancestors. Tracking was a pretty nifty trick that I doubt any of us could do with the tools at their disposal. ... They even started fire with sticks. Smile  impressive. :thumbsup:

I'm just going to post this here. But does any ones forum look weird right now?

Edit: never mind, apparently I hit some button that made the site look stupid.

Quote:I'm just going to post this here. But does any ones forum look weird right now?

Edit: never mind, apparently I hit some button that made the site look stupid.

Was it the Rico button?
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013, 01:08 PM by Unravel.)

Quote:They (we) had to start somewhere.

500 years from now, people are going to think we were pretty unintelligent about space. We are limited by means available to us, as was our ancestors. Tracking was a pretty nifty trick that I doubt any of us could do with the tools at their disposal. ... They even started fire with sticks. Smile  impressive. :thumbsup:
That's exactly my point. If we accept this notion that we aren't capable of ever understanding something simply because we don't currently understand it we will never progress. If we (I am speaking in terms of the species here) had accepted that there was no possible way for us to truly comprehend anything beyond the Earth we'd still be considering tracking a planet to be much more than a nifty trick. Instead we're able to predict the position of each planet at any given time with practically absolute certainty, place people on the moon, place robots on Mars, track comets only a few miles wide, and detect the existence of planets based on extremely tiny differences in the light that reaches Earth from stars.

Quote:That's exactly my point. If we accept this notion that we aren't capable of ever understanding something simply because we don't currently understand it we will never progress. If we (I am speaking in terms of the species here) had accepted that there was no possible way for us to truly comprehend anything beyond the Earth we'd still be considering tracking a planet to be much more than a nifty trick. Instead we're able to predict the position of each planet at any given time with practically absolute certainty, place people on the moon, place robots on Mars, track comets only a few miles wide, and detect the existence of planets based on extremely tiny differences in the light that reaches Earth from stars.
Ancient civilizations actually were able to predict the positions of any given Planet. The Sumerians even had the first detailed map of the Solar System. http://etb-cosmology.blogspot.com/2012/0...t-our.html

Quote:Ancient civilizations actually were able to predict the positions of any given Planet. The Sumerians even had the first detailed map of the Solar System. http://etb-cosmology.blogspot.com/2012/0...t-our.html

Their knowledge and capabilities were extremely limited compared to ours. We know of over 780 different planets, 8 of which are within our solar system. They knew of 5 and didn't even consider Earth to be one. What they did was impressive for their time but is still extremely limited in comparison to what we can do now because we didn't settle for what we already knew.

Quote:That's exactly my point. If we accept this notion that we aren't capable of ever understanding something simply because we don't currently understand it we will never progress. If we (I am speaking in terms of the species here) had accepted that there was no possible way for us to truly comprehend anything beyond the Earth we'd still be considering tracking a planet to be much more than a nifty trick. Instead we're able to predict the position of each planet at any given time with practically absolute certainty, place people on the moon, place robots on Mars, track comets only a few miles wide, and detect the existence of planets based on extremely tiny differences in the light that reaches Earth from stars.

You are just giving me a headache by going all brainiack ... I'm just sticking with the opinion that space can not end. The end of space is impossible, totally impossible. :yes:  or is it :no: ?

Space can't end ... No way, no how can it end. Sphere, Square, Triangle, Blob, Hole ... They are all a shape, and to have a shape, you have to have exteriors to the shape.

Space goes on forever, and ever. Smile

Quote:Was it the Rico button?

I'm going to test your theory of the Rico button .... Here goes

<Press>

duh, duh which way did he go, George, which way did he go?

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2013, 07:38 PM by Unravel.)

Quote: 

<div>
You are just giving me a headache by going all brainiack ... I'm just sticking with the opinion that space can not end. The end of space is impossible, totally impossible. :yes:  or is it :no: ?

Space can't end ... No way, no how can it end. Sphere, Square, Triangle, Blob, Hole ... They are all a shape, and to have a shape, you have to have exteriors to the shape.

Space goes on forever, and ever. Smile

</div>
What about the whole "Asteroids" idea? It's a bit odd and goes against "common sense" but space has surprised us before. Then you could theoretically have any "shape" while having the exterior of that shape being the opposite point of that shape.

An infinite space is definitely a possibility, it just isn't the only possibility. Tongue

Quote:What about the whole "Asteroids" idea? It's a bit odd and goes against "common sense" but space has surprised us before. Then you could theoretically have any "shape" while having the exterior of that shape being the opposite point of that shape.

An infinite space is definitely a possibility, it just isn't the only possibility. Tongue

The asteroid is a ship on the earths oceans ... goes round, and round. It is a blip in a space that is forever.

Space can't end. It is impossible for it to end. Tongue

Quote:The asteroid is a ship on the earths oceans ... goes round, and round. It is a blip in a space that is forever.

Space can't end. It is impossible for it to end. Tongue

I'm glad that I'm not living on that Earth. That's far too many asteroid impacts for my liking.

If you say so, I have to disagree Smile

Quote:I'm going to test your theory of the Rico button .... Here goes

<Press>

duh, duh which way did he go, George, which way did he go?

I think you got it.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I think you got it.
Hah!!

You guyz are both dum. I use velcro.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2013, 08:55 PM by homebiscuit.)

I'm looking at Jupiter through my telescope right now.

Yes, it IS exciting...

Aw, hush. :angry: