Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Article: Conservative agenda aims to kill science in United States

Quote:Computer science.

I solve problems. In my line of work I have to cut through the [BAD WORD REMOVED] and get to the facts to find solutions.

It's not hard if you don't allow yourself to be mislead by false witness.

And I'm an accountant. I still know nothing about climate despite solving problems in the work place completely unrelated to climate science.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2016, 09:58 PM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:Not in the way it has over the past 100 years or so.

Yes, because we should base our political decisions on an incorrect cartoon.

Up until 1979, there were no temperature records that were truly global. The measurements since then vary from month to month more than the supposed warming. Basing a massive government control and expenditure plan on a very short term history is the height of insanity.

Secondly, the cartoon doesn't show the Medieval warm period, or the little ice age, both of which were known from historical records. Nor does it show the drop in temperature between 1940 and the 1970s which was significant enough that scientists were speculating on the next glaciation. I doubt there would be such talk of such if the temperature drop was less than 1/2 degree, but that's not in the cartoon.

Thirdly, the cartoon tacks on pure speculation onto the end. Hopefully you understand that future predictions from proven failures of computer models are not reality.

More importantly, the ice core records, which are the only records available from before 1800 are averaged over 50 to 200 years, so any short term changes are averaged out. You can't say that the temperature hasn't changed as fast in the past, because there are no short term records. The ice core records are very good, and using O18 as a temperature proxy agrees with what we know from other sources, but they are not detailed.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Another expert. Let me guess from internet research?

Quote:Yes, because we should base our political decisions on an incorrect cartoon.

Up until 1979, there were no temperature records that were truly global. The measurements since then vary from month to month more than the supposed warming. Basing a massive government control and expenditure plan on a very short term history is the height of insanity.

Secondly, the cartoon doesn't show the Medieval warm period, or the little ice age, both of which were known from historical records. Nor does it show the drop in temperature between 1940 and the 1970s which was significant enough that scientists were speculating on the next glaciation. I doubt there would be such talk of such if the temperature drop was less than 1/2 degree, but that's not in the cartoon.

Thirdly, the cartoon tacks on pure speculation onto the end. Hopefully you understand that future predictions from proven failures of computer models are not reality.

More importantly, the ice core records, which are the only records available from before 1800 are averaged over 50 to 200 years, so any short term changes are averaged out. You can't say that the temperature hasn't changed as fast in the past, because there are no short term records. The ice core records are very good, and using O18 as a temperature proxy agrees with what we know from other sources, but they are not detailed.

Quoted for cause!!!!

Quote:Another expert. Let me guess from internet research?

The 3% is REAL!

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Another expert. Let me guess from internet research?

If you want to disagree with anything I wrote, then cite the text and explain why I'm wrong.

Otherwise, you're just babbling.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:If you want to disagree with anything I wrote, then cite the text and explain why I'm wrong.

Otherwise, you're just babbling.

I prefer to leave it to scientist. Unless conspiracy theorists are now considered scientists

Quote:I prefer to leave it to scientist. Unless conspiracy theorists are now considered scientists

Then why are you even discussing it on here at all then? If you're leaving it to the scientists, what's to discuss?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:Then why are you even discussing it on here at all then? If you're leaving it to the scientists, what's to discuss?

I'm not discussing it, I'm making fun of all the experts around here.

Plus me posting gets you annoyed so that's a bonus.

Quote:I'm not discussing it, I'm making fun of all the experts around here.

Plus me posting gets you annoyed so that's a bonus.

I'm guessing annoying people is a common theme in your life.

Quote:I'm guessing annoying people is a common theme in your life.

Oooh burn!

No most around here would agree with my takes on healthcare/guns/wages etc.

Seems you guys are alone in wanting to vote to make people's lives worse.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2016, 09:21 AM by JackCity.)

In 50 years time the climate will be the last thing to be worried about. We'll be too busy trying to outflank our oppressive governments and fighting back against the artificially intelligent cyborgs that police our streets.

Quote:In 50 years time the climate will be the last thing to be worried about. We'll be too busy trying to outflank our oppressive governments and fighting back against the artificial intelligence powered cyborgs that police our streets.

Truth, even if your half joking.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Truth, even if your half joking.

Its certainly trending that way. Before its even a real thing I'd like to announce myself as being a member of the Anti-artificial intelligence movement. Only bad things can come from it. We've all seen the movies.

Quote:Oooh burn!

They can agree with you and still find you annoying, one has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:Oooh burn!

I don't want voting to be what does or doesn't make people's lives better or worse. I'm an adult and I don't like paternalism.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2016, 05:25 PM by lastonealive.)

Quote:They can agree with you and still find you annoying, one has nothing to do with the other.
I appreciate you following me around. Good to have the female attention

Looks like school yard flirting "you are sooooo annoying" sure...

Quote:I appreciate you following me around. Good to have the female attention

Looks like school yard flirting "you are sooooo annoying" sure...
Excuse me, I just threw up in my mouth...more than a little. Sick

Quote:I prefer to leave it to scientist. Unless conspiracy theorists are now considered scientists

The scientists agree with me. Point out where they disagree with anything I said.

Quote:The scientists agree with me. Point out where they disagree with anything I said.

I haven't even read what you have put. It will be some old nonsense from a blog.

And again like you I have zero knowledge in the area.