Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should Caldwell stay put at least another season?
yes
blank #2
no
[Show Results]

How is Caldwell not let go at the end of the season?

I don't see how anyone sees this roster as talented. Most teams have at least one guy talented enough to be a probowler regardless of the team surrounding them. AR seemed like that guy last year but now that we're struggling he seems to struggle too. I just refuse to drink any more koolaid until results start showing on the field. I would not lose sleep over losing Caldwell because as of right now, his highest picks don't appear to be panning out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote: 

All Caldwell can do is get the players, he's not the one who is supposed to groom them and teach them...Caldwell's drafts have been graded very high by Kiper and all those guys...even other GMs have commented on how well he has drafted

<div style="font-sizeConfusedmall;font-family:arial, sans-serif;">
<div>Jaguars draft scores well nationally - Jacksonville Jaguars
<div style="color:rgb(84,84,84);">
<div style="color:rgb(128,128,128);">www.jaguars.com/news/article...<b>draft</b>...<b>well</b>.../b178591c-0a53-4f3b-9940-d8adbb0aef...
<div style="margin:0px 3px;">
<div style="font-size:13px;">
</div>
</div>
Apr 30, 2013 - Jacksonville Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell's first draft scores well with analysts ... JACKSONVILLE – The grades are in, the consensus is clear. ... The Jaguars selected the former Michigan quarterback with the idea of using him ...</div>
</div>
</div>

<div>2016 NFL Draft: As, As, and more As - Jacksonville Jaguars
<div style="color:rgb(128,128,128);">www.jaguars.com/news/article...<b>Draft</b>.../4df74743-514a-4768-880c-8d48b406664e
</div>
</div>
May 2, 2016 - Grading the draft: NFL Analysts, pontificators and pundits agree … after ... over the Jaguars and General Manager David Caldwell after a draft that ... but they've drafted well recently and just haven't shown the growth on the ...</div>
</div>
</div>

<div>2014 NFL Draft grades: Jaguars get high marks from most - Big Cat ...
<div style="color:rgb(128,128,128);">www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/5/11/5707162/nfl-<b>draft</b>-<b>grades</b>-2014-results-jaguars
</div>
</div>
May 11, 2014 - Nobody cares about NFL Draft grades but at the same time everyone cares! ... with nine new drafted players after entering the draft will 11 total picks. ... a very good draft with 1-2 questionable picks, but Dave Caldwell clearly ...</div>
</div>
</div>

</div>

You're resorting to draft grades? Come on man, I agree that this roster is more talented today, than it was when David took over a few years ago, but it should be more talented. David Caldwell has had 4 top 5 picks to work with, along with boat loads of cap space, but has somehow construct a 2-7 football team 4 years into this rebuild. Now if you want to blame it on coaching, that fine, just remember that David Caldwell hired Gus Bradley. At the end of the day, when you're in a position of power, whether in the NFL as a GM, or in corporate as an executive, crap runs uphill. Ultimately, the failure of this franchise to produce a competent on-field product falls on one man and one man only, and his name is David Caldwell.

It is very hard to continue making arguments for keeping Caldwell.

He had an incredible amount of cap space and very high draft picks.

We are 2-7 in year 4 of his rebuild. I hope Dave and Gus are gone as early as the never next day following our week 17 loss.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 02:29 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:   Though we probably will never know the answer to this question,  I wonder how much better would T.J. Yeldon be if he was with Arizona, in place of David Johnson?  

I'm sure he'd be fine, as Arizona has a really good offensive line, but DJ is bigger, faster, and simply more talented than Yeldon. I actually don't mind TJ, he's elusive and has some Leveon Bell qualities in his game, I do believe the issues with the Jags run game starts up front with the o-line. Parnell, Cann, Linder, Joeckel, Beachum etc.... are all guys David Caldwell has either drafted, or signed in free agency, these are his guys, and for whatever reason they can't move guys off the ball in the run game.

Quote:It is very hard to continue making arguments for keeping Caldwell.

He had an incredible amount of cap space and very high draft picks.

We are 2-7 in year 4 of his rebuild. I hope Dave and Gus are gone as early as the never next day following our week 17 loss.

He selected a QB (3rd overall) who admittedly isn't a "natural thrower of the football", he selected a "jack of all trades linebacker" in Dante Fowler who isn't a natural pass rusher, at 3 overall. Caldwell has gambled and lost

Quote:I'm sure he'd be fine, as Arizona has a really good offensive line, but DJ is bigger, faster, and simply more talented than Yeldon. I actually don't mind TJ, he's elusive and has some Leveon Bell qualities in his game, I do believe the issues with the Jags run game starts up front with the o-line. Parnell, Cann, Linder, Joeckel, Beachum etc.... are all guys David Caldwell has either drafted, or signed in free agency, these are his guys, and for whatever reason they can't move guys off the ball in the run game.

If you had the choice,  which current Jaguars Offensive Lineman would you want as starters beyond this season?    Of course your opinion can change after seeing what transpires in the games ahead this season.

Quote:You're resorting to draft grades? Come on man, I agree that this roster is more talented today, than it was when David took over a few years ago, but it should be more talented. David Caldwell has had 4 top 5 picks to work with, along with boat loads of cap space, but has somehow construct a 2-7 football team 4 years into this rebuild. Now if you want to blame it on coaching, that fine, just remember that David Caldwell hired Gus Bradley. At the end of the day, when you're in a position of power, whether in the NFL as a GM, or in corporate as an executive, crap runs uphill. Ultimately, the failure of this franchise to produce a competent on-field product falls on one man and one man only, and his name is David Caldwell.
yeah caldwell hired him...at that time Gus was a hot name...He took a shot it didnt work out...he's not the first or last gm that will do that

Quote: If you had the choice, which current Jaguars Offensive Lineman would you want as starters beyond this season? Of course your opinion can change after seeing what transpires in the games ahead this season.

Linder is the only no-brainer
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:yeah caldwell hired him...at that time Gus was a hot name...He took a shot it didnt work out...he's not the first or last gm that will do that

And he won't be the first or last gm who loses his job for hiring the wrong coach and drafting the wrong players.

Quote:   If you had the choice,  which current Jaguars Offensive Lineman would you want as starters beyond this season?    Of course your opinion can change after seeing what transpires in the games ahead this season.

Linder, he's one of the better young o-linemen in the leauge

Quote:And he won't be the first or last gm who loses his job for hiring the wrong coach and drafting the wrong players.

Haha, it's funny/sad/true at the same time. 

Quote:You're resorting to draft grades? Come on man, I agree that this roster is more talented today, than it was when David took over a few years ago, but it should be more talented. David Caldwell has had 4 top 5 picks to work with, along with boat loads of cap space, but has somehow construct a 2-7 football team 4 years into this rebuild. Now if you want to blame it on coaching, that fine, just remember that David Caldwell hired Gus Bradley. At the end of the day, when you're in a position of power, whether in the NFL as a GM, or in corporate as an executive, crap runs uphill. Ultimately, the failure of this franchise to produce a competent on-field product falls on one man and one man only, and his name is David Caldwell.
I resorted to drafts grads as illustration what other NFL analysts say about the job he is doing. I value the opinion of people in the business more than the opinion of people who post on message boards and have never even set foot in an NFL office 

Quote:Linder, he's one of the better young o-linemen in the leauge

I'm impressed at how well he made the position switch to Center on the NFL level.

Quote:I resorted to drafts grads as illustration what other NFL analysts say about the job he is doing. I value the opinion of people in the business more than the opinion of people who post on message boards and have never even set foot in an NFL office 

How about paying attention to the on field product, that's the ultimate judge, guys like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay were praising Seattle for taking Aaron Curry 4th overall back in 2009.

Quote:  I'm impressed at how well he made the position switch to Center on the NFL level.

Yea he's a talented guy, we need to find a couple more "Linders". Kelvin Beachum has played well too, doesn't do much in the run game but is a pretty good blind-side protector.

Quote:Linder is the only no-brainer

That probably sums up the major work ahead for Dave Caldwell or the next Jags GM and the expected new coaches primarily responsible for the Offensive Line. 

Quote:How about paying attention to the on field product, that's the ultimate judge, guys like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay were praising Seattle for taking Aaron Curry 4th overall back in 2009.
Until Caldwell becomes coach, I will look at who he picked and what the NFL people say about them before I just agre with random message board posters...When the experts in the field say Caldwell drafted well, I will believe them...The product on the field is Gus's fault

Quote:Yea he's a talented guy, we need to find a couple more "Linders". Kelvin Beachum has played well too, doesn't do much in the run game but is a pretty good blind-side protector.

That was also my impression of Kelvin Beachum when he was with the Steelers.   Considering how important it is to protect the blind side of the QB,  a case can certainly be made that he's worth keeping as a starter moving forward after this season.

Quote:Until Caldwell becomes coach, I will look at who he picked and what the NFL people say about them before I just agre with random message board posters...When the experts in the field say Caldwell drafted well, I will believe them...The product on the field is Gus's fault

How is Blake's struggles Gus's fault? How is the o-lines inability to move guys off the ball in the run game Gus's fault? Gus is not a very good head coach, we all know that, but I think he's getting somewhat of a raw deal. Gus is handicapped by a QB that is so fundamentally flawed, he can't make the most routine of throws, let alone sustain drives. 

Quote:  That was also my impression of Kelvin Beachum when he was with the Steelers.   Considering how important it is to protect the blind side of the QB,  a case can certainly be made that he's worth keeping as a starter moving forward after this season.

The only members of this line that should be guaranteed starting jobs next year is Linder and Beachum. Parnell/Cann/Joeckel etc... are all replaceable