Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Should Blake Bortles be benched?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Bench Bortles?

Quote:I have given up on Blake and it wouldn't surprise me if most of the team feels the same way. As bad as Gabbert and Leftwich looked at times, Blake is even worse and he has quality receivers. His stats last year were mis-leading due to garbage time. I really think they need to see what Allen can do as they thought enough of him to draft him and have spoken highly of him. It is literally painful to watch Blake at this point. If he can somehow get it together in the off-season, give him a shot to compete for the position. A decent q.b. would have this team with 2-3 more wins this season.

Blake isn't worse than Gabbert, probably a tie.

Leftwich was 10x the QB Blake is.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Blake isn't worse than Gabbert, probably a tie.

At this point in the season you have to ask yourself - what have you got to lose?

You aren't winning with Blake Bortles.  His throwing motion is regressing.  Benching him is actually the best thing for HIS future, AND the future of the franchise.  Give him 6 months to correct his footwork, his throwing motion, take the pressure off him and let him rest his arm and get ready for 2017.  

Chad Henne is gone after this year.  You can put him out there and let him have at it.  Who cares???  He's toast anyway.  

Or you start the rookie Allen and see what you've got.  What's the worst that can happen?  We lose a few games we would have lost anyways?  Maybe he shows some potential?  

The answer is obvious - bench Bortles and start Allen.  It's a win-win situation for everyone.  

I thought he looked decent today, and has improved since that ghastly Oakland/titans week.  The windup is legendary, sure, but he still balled.  It's not his fault the run D has regressed beyond recognition. That's why we lost today and will lose many more this season.  If you can't stop the run, everybody is going to run on you. Special Teams were special of course.  We gifted our usual 14+ points to the opponent, not going to win in the league like that.

I am not saying he's good, but he is improving, to me.  I fear though, that as has been rumored, he doesn't appear liked by his teammates.  The body language between them is eerie.  Julius Thomas glared at him in the huddle more than once, and the Allen bros don't even look at him it seems.  

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:For those of you saying Allen is not the answer, how do you know? The kid hasn't even been given a chance. We have no idea if he's good or bad, because we haven't seen him in a real game situation. Just because he wasn't drafted in the first two rounds does not mean he won't be a decent NFL QB. We need to see what he can do before we make that determination.
Plenty of decent QBs  aren't first or second rounders.

In fact....we should trade our next two firsts and gather up a lot of picks, we're going to need them.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:Plenty of decent QBs  aren't first or second rounders.

In fact....we should trade our next two firsts and gather up a lot of picks, we're going to need them.

And use them to trade for Sean Payton and Drew Brees...

Quote:I thought he looked decent today, and has improved since that ghastly Oakland/titans week. The windup is legendary, sure, but he still balled. It's not his fault the run D has regressed beyond recognition. That's why we lost today and will lose many more this season. If you can't stop the run, everybody is going to run on you. Special Teams were special of course. We gifted our usual 14+ points to the opponent, not going to win in the league like that.

I am not saying he's good, but he is improving, to me. I fear though, that as has been rumored, he doesn't appear liked by his teammates. The body language between them is eerie. Julius Thomas glared at him in the huddle more than once, and the Allen bros don't even look at him it seems.

He had his moments today, converted some nice 3rd downs. But the 2 missed deep TDs and the pick sixes cost us the game.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:He had his moments today, converted some nice 3rd downs. But the 2 missed deep TDs and the pick sixes cost us the game.

I still hope for the best and while the improvements are there, they're incremental and not significant enough. I think it's apparent at this point, as others have stated, he needs an offseason worth of work to hopefully bring his game to a higher notch. And as someone else said, I don't want to go into QB purgatory again. That's why I say give him until training camp next year, and bring in competition

Quote:Serious question...

What would Blake be worth on the market? Please no ham sandwich jokes. Real talk. 3rd?
Half a ham sammich and a bag of potato chips?

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Blake isn't worse than Gabbert, probably a tie.

No

No (okay maybe part of '05 before he got injured he was better)

People are going crazy on here. Another off season and a better coach is what Blake needs. Until you see how he does with those changes you don't let him go unless someone is offering you a first IMO.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote: 

People are going crazy here. Another off season and a better coach is what Blake needs. Until you see how he does with those changes you don't let him go

I agree and still want to believe BB is our guy.  The turnovers are beyond crippling, the misses are glaring, sure, but there is something there

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Yes. We're 2 - 7. Bradley is all but fired. At some point he's going to pull the trigger on Henne or Allen. And I know a lot of fans keep saying "For who? Why?". Listen, we have to try something else. His mechanics are broken this year. He's simply lost his edge. He's staring down receivers and telegraphing interceptions. He's not properly going through his reads and progressions like he should be by now in year three. His long windmill wind up throwing motion from the hip is reminding me of Leftwich. And he's missing wide open receivers down the field which could be the difference in these losses so far this year. He was getting bailed out a lot by circus catches last year. And now that he needs to be more accurate for his receivers he simply cannot get it done. This offense needs a shot in the arm. Because right now. Blake isn't the man. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

If you want another QB, let him play out the rest of the season.. he's digging his own grave.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:No

No (okay maybe part of '05 before he got injured he was better)

People are going crazy on here. Another off season and a better coach is what Blake needs. Until you see how he does with those changes you don't let him go unless someone is offering you a first IMO.
Yep, coaching matters. Further, why would anyone endorse putting Allen in at this point? We dont need 2 qbs ob the roster who've been congussed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Yep, coaching matters. Further, why would anyone endorse putting Allen in at this point? We dont need 2 qbs ob the roster who've been congussed.

Keeping him on the roster is fine. But given his TOTALLY missing requisite throwing skills to be even a decent NFL qb (yes including the 2015 stats fools gold aberration) there's a 95+% chance we need someone else so we had better get someone(s) else in too. Can't waste anymore time.

I would agree that we maybe still have "something there" with Blake if his problems were just mental and related to decision-making, etc......but, that's not the case.  He doesn't know how to throw a football.  I mean, let that sink in for a second.........we used a top 5 draft pick to draft a QB that we had to teach how to throw.  I guess I'm still sort of amazed by that and, honestly, it's starting to stick in my craw a little on the "Dave" subject, especially as DFJ appears to be another first-round miss, not to change subjects.

Anyway, he's a third-year veteran that is hands-down the worst starting QB in the NFL and he can't throw a football properly.  Also, we're pretty much a shoe-in to lose the remainder of our games no matter who we start at QB, so yeah, I don't see a whole lot of downside to playing the kid that we thought enough of to draft last spring.

Bortles had been so bad for the couple games prior to the Thursday night Tennessee game, that the announcer at halftime asked Gus "are we going to see a switch at QB?"

It was already bad enough at that point to be legitimately asking that question. Now, here we sit 2 1/2 games after that question was asked, and it's still the same crap.

Think about that.

Give Bortles 3-5 more games to allow due diligence in evaluating him (even though he stinks and that's unlikely to change).  Then, give Brandon Allen the last 2-4 games to see what the kid can do.  It gives him some live regular season action and some game film for evaluation.  That would give us more answers moving forward into the off-season.

Just my 2 cents.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 02:04 PM by David4499.)

"What we have here is a time for learning, and growth; a time to be tested and a time to determine who the real players are going to be. But what we really need from these dedicated Jegs fans is their support this last half of the season. Numerically we are not out of the playoff hunt. I have no idea what I'm doing on the side lines, but what I do know, and what I do expect from every guy on that field is... icecreamparty

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I say sit him for two weeks so he can collect his thoughts and relax his arm. He just might come back from that totally refreshed and ready to rumble.

'02