Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hundreds of businesses will give employees paid time off to vote

Quote:People who voted for decades were not having their votes counted despite going to the correct polling places. They were absolutely entitled to vote.

That's not what I asked you.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Back to the topic. I hope thousands of voters take advantage of this opportunity.

There really is no problem with requiring ID to vote. It really does make sense. As long as it is easy and cheap/free to obtain one it only makes sense. Everything else you do regarding the government requires one. It only becomes a problem for people when tertiary decision are made that make it more difficult to obtain an ID once voter ID laws are passed. Now you can pretend this has not been done in way to target typical democratic voters intentionally, as with other tactics mentioned in this thread but people are not opposed to requiring ID en mass. 

Quote:There really is no problem with requiring ID to vote. It really does make sense. As long as it is easy and cheap/free to obtain one it only makes sense. Everything else you do regarding the government requires one. It only becomes a problem for people when tertiary decision are made that make it more difficult to obtain an ID once voter ID laws are passed. Now you can pretend this has not been done in way to target typical democratic voters intentionally, as with other tactics mentioned in this thread but people are not opposed to requiring ID en mass. 

I said several time it is a proven fact that Ohio's voter ID law deterred voting. That is only disputed by people who know nothing about what happened when the law passed. I can't prove it to people on a computer, so nobody will believe me.

The bottom line for me is this.  If you need an ID to receive my tax dollars for any "benefits", then you also need an ID to vote.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I said several time it is a proven fact that Ohio's voter ID law deterred voting. That is only disputed by people who know nothing about what happened when the law passed. I can't prove it to people on a computer, so nobody will believe me.

Sounds to me like it cleaned up fraud, and you're mad fraudulent votes weren't able to be cast, because you believe they were Democrat votes.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I said several time it is a proven fact that Ohio's voter ID law deterred voting. That is only disputed by people who know nothing about what happened when the law passed. I can't prove it to people on a computer, so nobody will believe me.

And you don't think it's possible that less people voted because not everyone who had been voting previously were legally allowed to vote?

Quote:Sounds to me like it cleaned up fraud, and you're mad fraudulent votes weren't able to be cast, because you believe they were Democrat votes.

Cleaned up what fraud? There was no voter fraud to speak of. Republicans pretended there was a problem that did not exist.

Quote:And you don't think it's possible that less people voted because not everyone who had been voting previously were legally allowed to vote?

Less people who were legally allowed to vote since they were 18 are voting now.

Quote:Less people who were legally allowed to vote since they were 18 are voting now.

Why would showing ID stop anyone that was allowed to vote from voting? No matter what some might say, very few people can exist in society without having some form of identification.

Quote:Less people who were legally allowed to vote since they were 18 are voting now.

Who is being supposedly "suppressed?"

Quote:Why would showing ID stop anyone that was allowed to vote from voting? No matter what some might say, very few people can exist in society without having some form of identification.

I read it is hard for college students because they don't live in the precinct that matches their ID addresses.

Quote:I read it is hard for college students because they don't live in the precinct that matches their ID addresses.

That's what absentee ballots are for.

Looks like there's more fake "suppression" than "fake" fraud.

Quote:Still bummed that they don't bring back the poll tax?

Not restrictive enough. Landowners only, one vote per household is more my thing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:That's what absentee ballots are for.

It sucks that more people either don't think about voting absentee or only want to vote in person. I think a big problem with that is lack of awareness because people say they will vote "if I can get there" or complain they could not vote due to the new location of their polling place. That is the worst deterrent of all - reduction of polling places. However, in the case of college students, they want to vote locally, not long distance, because 3/4 of the year they don't live in their precinct.

Quote:Aol.com, LMBO

Honest to God I didn't know AOL was still a thing.

Quote:Honest to God I didn't know AOL was still a thing.

The CDs don't exist anymore, but you can still download AOL software on your computer. For me it is one of those "it sucks, but not as much as not having it" things.

Quote:It sucks that more people either don't think about voting absentee or only want to vote in person. I think a big problem with that is lack of awareness because people say they will vote "if I can get there" or complain they could not vote due to the new location of their polling place. That is the worst deterrent of all - reduction of polling places. However, in the case of college students, they want to vote locally, not long distance, because 3/4 of the year they don't live in their precinct.

Then those voters should change their addresses to their school so they can be able to vote there, because if they had been voting in a precinct where they weren't registered, they were voting illegally.

And how do you know that no voter fraud was going on? If you didn't have to prove who you are to vote, how would there be any way to prove voter fraud. A reduction in the number of people voting after a voter ID law was inacted could also be attributed to the fact that people were now not allowed to vote in multiple precincts.

Quote:Then those voters should change their addresses to their school so they can be able to vote there, because if they had been voting in a precinct where they weren't registered, they were voting illegally.

And how do you know that no voter fraud was going on? If you didn't have to prove who you are to vote, how would there be any way to prove voter fraud. A reduction in the number of people voting after a voter ID law was inacted could also be attributed to the fact that people were now not allowed to vote in multiple precincts.

How do we know if there was fraud? The voter ID law was reportedly passed as a preventive measure. We will never know if fraud affected election results in Ohio. Lawmakers made it an issue without conclusive evidence.