Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles job is on the line next Sunday

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018, 01:01 PM by Scarecrow.)

(01-01-2018, 02:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 01:58 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I may be in a small minority of thinking this but I think Bortles goes off this weekend.  I think he thrives under the pressure and ultra competitive nature of the playoffs and we see Blake at his best.

I think this year's "good Blake" is significantly closer to the real Blake than the one the past 2 weeks or years under Gus. Would not surprise me one bit for him to go off in the playoffs. Or the rest of the team for that matter.

I tend to agree.  I'm optimistic that the whole team will rebound this week.  I don't think the Jaguars team we've seen the last two weeks is what we get in the playoffs.  This team had little to play for these last two weeks and has been dealing with some significant injuries.  

(01-01-2018, 02:14 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 01:58 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: I may be in a small minority of thinking this but I think Bortles goes off this weekend.  I think he thrives under the pressure and ultra competitive nature of the playoffs and we see Blake at his best.

There is a little merit to this, but you also have examples of him completely folding under pressure. And you have a lot more  "folding" than you do "going off".  He is a average-ish QB who can play well for a handful of games. Cole catches that TD throw, that EASY touchdown, we probably win yesterday... But he still threw 2 picks and went what, 1-8 in the 4th? We need a QB.

I find it hard to compare his first two years to this one.  It's an entirely different atmosphere and team.  The Gus years almost need to be thrown out because the entire team struggled under Gus consistently. I would argue that this year we have seen more good than bad from Blake by a good margin.  

I am not disagreeing that we need a QB but he's playing with no TE, an OL that still has a few holes and last week was without Robinson and he's been playing without a number 1 or 2 WR for a lot of the year.  Blake may not be the answer in the future but we sure as hell could do worse than him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-02-2018, 01:01 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 02:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I think this year's "good Blake" is significantly closer to the real Blake than the one the past 2 weeks or years under Gus. Would not surprise me one bit for him to go off in the playoffs. Or the rest of the team for that matter.

I tend to agree.  I'm optimistic that the whole team will rebound this week.  I don't think the Jaguars team we've seen the last two weeks is what we get in the playoffs.  This team had little to play for these last two weeks and has been dealing with some significant injuries.  

(01-01-2018, 02:14 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: There is a little merit to this, but you also have examples of him completely folding under pressure. And you have a lot more  "folding" than you do "going off".  He is a average-ish QB who can play well for a handful of games. Cole catches that TD throw, that EASY touchdown, we probably win yesterday... But he still threw 2 picks and went what, 1-8 in the 4th? We need a QB.

I find it hard to compare his first two years to this one.  It's an entirely different atmosphere and team.  The Gus years almost need to be thrown out because the entire team struggled under Gus consistently. I would argue that this year we have seen more good than bad from Blake by a good margin.  

I am not disagreeing that we need a QB but he's playing with no TE, an OL that still has a few holes and last week was without Robinson and he's been playing without a number 1 or 2 WR for a lot of the year.  Blake may not be the answer in the future but we sure as hell could do worse than him.
Jags biggest game of the year (Seattle IMO) and the defense came out on fire. That is what I expect to see. Yannick and Campbell meeting Taylor in the backfield. LBs flying around the field and the secondary blannketing everyone else. As long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over and special teams doesn't make bonehead plays, this game will be a win.

(01-02-2018, 01:01 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 02:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I think this year's "good Blake" is significantly closer to the real Blake than the one the past 2 weeks or years under Gus. Would not surprise me one bit for him to go off in the playoffs. Or the rest of the team for that matter.

(01-01-2018, 02:14 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: There is a little merit to this, but you also have examples of him completely folding under pressure. And you have a lot more  "folding" than you do "going off".  He is a average-ish QB who can play well for a handful of games. Cole catches that TD throw, that EASY touchdown, we probably win yesterday... But he still threw 2 picks and went what, 1-8 in the 4th? We need a QB.

I think BB5 has done exactly what was asked of him this year, and that matters to people like Marrone and Coughlin.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-01-2018, 03:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

I agree with you about Blake. He may not "go off," but he will do enough and look more like the Blake of early December. Having Robinson and Lee back will also help him significantly. I look for Fournette to go over 100 yards which will also open up the passing game and the Jags will win convincingly.

Will next week's game determine Blake's fate? If he totally implodes, this may be the case. However, if he has a mediocre game and the team loses, I really don't think he will be gone. Even his harshest critics (I was in this club last season and early on this season) would have to admit he has improved significantly in his 2nd full season with the same coordinator. Why start all over with a rookie, who would be probably the 4th or 5th quarterback taken in the draft? As far as free agents, do we want a guy who threw 3 interceptions against the lowly Giants in his final audition for free agency? Who else is available? How about trading for Brett Hundley who has looked terrible in relief of Rodgers or Teddy Bridgewater, who will play 3 games before getting injured? Now, if we could get Derek Carr, who after last year was proclaimed the guy who would take the Raiders to the Super Bowl. Oops, he just helped get his coach fired so he's not the guy. Great quarterbacks don't grow on trees, so I think the Jags will stick with Blake who was good enough to help get them to the playoffs with back-up receivers.

I don't think he will be gone either.  He is good enough to get this team to the playoffs with the defense we have.  Once you get in, anything can happen from there.  You can't make a change for the sake of change.  If a better option presents itself you take it but I'm not confident in any of the rookie QBs that won't be taken at the top end of the 1st.   We are on the same page and I think Blake has earned the opportunity to be the QB next year.  I'm all in favor of bringing in whatever competition they deem necessary and I trust Tom and Dave to make the right call.

(01-01-2018, 03:57 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I think TE and RG are the biggest needs. Bortles would benefit greatly from a reliable TE

100% and both of these have to be addressed this offseason.  Regardless of who the QB is those need to be added.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2018, 01:29 PM by FredTheGreatest.)

I think it would be a great year to collect OL/TE through Free agency and the draft. Jimmy Graham will be available. These next two offseason are crucial to the Jaguars being good for the next 10 years! Restock O-line this year D-line next year. Pick up a TE and make a choice on the QB. This is exciting to look at a draft without the pressure of hoping the next savior comes to Duval.

I've noticed a number of posts about Graham.
He's a decent red zone receiving threat - but that's about it.
Not worth the price he'll command.

Draft a TE to add to Rivera, Koyack etc
Don't waste FA money on That spot again.
Just my 2 cents on TE

I DO want to see one added for Bortles (or the next QBs) sake though.

(01-02-2018, 01:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: VI've noticed a number of posts about Graham.

Just my 2 cents on TE

I DO want to see one added for Bortles (or the n txt QBs) sake though.

I'm against wasting FA money on that spot too. I don't want them going after Graham.  He's not what he once was and he's 31 years old.  There should be someone in the draft we can add to go along with Rivera and Koyack.  No more high TE FA contracts please.

(01-02-2018, 01:47 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 01:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: VI've noticed a number of posts about Graham.

Just my 2 cents on TE

I DO want to see one added for Bortles (or the n txt QBs) sake though.

I'm against wasting FA money on that spot too. I don't want them going after Graham.  He's not what he once was and he's 31 years old.  There should be someone in the draft we can add to go along with Rivera and Koyack.  No more high TE FA contracts please.
Give me Andrews or Goedert in the 1st and then FA RG.

Yes, inconsistent, especially when under pressure and when we REALLY NEED HIM! BB (Bortles) will have no trouble finding another NFL job. Another scenario would be to have a quality back up. A charismatic, accurate, smart, back up will cause BB to perform better. The REAL question is ; What does Tom Coughlin want to do with BB?

My guess is that regardless of what happens in the playoff, the organization has probably concluded that BB is worth at least exercising that fifth year and paying him the $18mm in 2018, which I would tend to agree with. I just don't see anyone else out there as a significant enough of an upgrade to cut bait. Now, I do think they'll draft a QB in April, maybe even with the first-round pick, as a developmental QB and maybe someone to turn to in 2019 should BB not take more positive steps in 2018 with his fifth year.

(01-01-2018, 02:32 PM)jagherd Wrote: I think Bortles will have a good game against the Bills. I like the matchup. I don't think the Bills' D line will manhandle the Jags front, giving Blake clean pockets and time (I think and hope anyway).

IIRC, Bortles wasn't even freaking touched by a defender for almost the entire Seattle game (same with the Cincy/Colts matchups where he was barely touched).

He was very good in those games, especially on 3rd down. I think we'll see a repeat of those good performances.
He'll look really good (efficient, at least) against Buffalo as the Jags practically dominate their way to a WC victory.

The game I'm more interested to see which Bortles shows up is in a Rd 2 matchup @PITT.  He did not look that good vs Pittsburgh earlier this year (that game was very close until the Jags D  took over and LF's big run).

The Pitt game is what concerns me about BB, not vs the Bills

Somebody paid attention to the time in the pocket stat correlating to the better BB5 stats.  Congrats to you sir.  

Someone watches the actual games.

(01-02-2018, 01:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've noticed a number of posts about Graham.

Just my 2 cents on TE

Actually, considering that I don't think we'll be going after any big money FA this year (hopefully Cousins notwithstanding), Trey Burton or ASJ would be near the tops of my realistic FA wish list this year.

Blake is getting ready to become a legend

(01-02-2018, 05:17 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 01:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've noticed a number of posts about Graham.

Just my 2 cents on TE

Actually, considering that I don't think we'll be going after any big money FA this year (hopefully Cousins notwithstanding), Trey Burton or ASJ would be near the tops of my realistic FA wish list this year.

Either of those guys would be a fraction of the price of Graham.  I could stomach that, but I'd much rather attempt to mine a guy from the mid rounds of the draft  -  a George Kittle-type.

Information 

Blake is a roller coaster, with our defense a game manager would be an improvement. Of course a franchise type star is the ultimate hope, but 1 for 8 in the 4th and 3 points is never going to be franchise. 

Maybe the coaches can help him be a game manager by improving the calls. As they have regressed the last two games so has Blake. He passes when the stadium knows he has to pass. The rare times they alter that formula Blake is overthrowing a deep ball prayer. Which again seems to reinforce the conservative calls. A vicious cycle.  I think the team can handle the bills, but will play way too cautiously the next round. Blake being a game manager does not equal run run pass. It doesn't have to be that way. In any event he requires too much of a spectacular perfect defense and Special teams to win consistently. He has to go ASA a replacement can be groomed.

I think Marrone and Coughlin have more realistic standards than the majority of fans. They see a durable, coachable, tough guy who improved over the course of the season despite playing with a depleted cast offensively. I think they also see more flaws in guys like Cousins and Alex Smith or Keenan than we do and question if they are really significant upgrades. I'm sure they get frustrated at Bortles' flat spots and limitations, but they probably don't picture Cousins throwing for 4500 yards and 40 TDs to Cole and Westbrook and Mickens under the same circumstances.

My hunch is they will stay with BB5 unless he has a legendary meltdown Sunday and will try and improve his supporting cast.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21945...ke-bortles

Jurrell Casey is an [BLEEP].

(01-02-2018, 07:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Either of those guys would be a fraction of the price of Graham.  I could stomach that, but I'd much rather attempt to mine a guy from the mid rounds of the draft  -  a George Kittle-type.

I think Burton is going to get a healthy chunk of change, I do agree ASJ should be relatively cheap because of his checkered history. I would make sure I get one of them and draft a TE high too. Especially with how dead set this regime is with stacking the box 12 and 22 personnel.

I was Kittle's biggest fan and am still pained that we didn't draft him, yes over Westbrook even with hindsight. Unfortunately I am not under the delusion that getting another one next year will be possible. It was a historically freak TE class, and he was physically the most freak of all of them.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018, 01:14 AM by JackCity.)

(01-02-2018, 10:55 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21945...ke-bortles

Jurrell Casey is an [BLEEP].

Yeah he's mostly correct but still an [BLEEP].

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2018, 01:33 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

Just my 2 cents on TE

At 31 years old and coming off a down year, I am not so sure Jimmy Graham will be that expensive. I am also unsure he will really help us. With Brees he looked awesome, and with Wilson he looks alright. With Bortles he might not even look good.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.