Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Truth about rebuilds

(01-16-2018, 06:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-16-2018, 06:00 PM)FBT Wrote: Good idea.  Not sure I could compose something on the fly when that happens.

The stream of consciousness rants coming from me in the euphoria filled aftermath of such happenings would be frightening and epic at the same time.

I would read that Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-16-2018, 12:34 PM)FBT Wrote: This season should show clearly the rebuild wasn’t the problem. Coaching was.

This x100000

Last year I was ready to write off Caldwell figured it was a mixture of talent and coaching. Amazing was a difference the right coach makes blows me away.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(01-16-2018, 06:08 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-16-2018, 06:00 PM)FBT Wrote: Good idea.  Not sure I could compose something on the fly when that happens.

The stream of consciousness rants coming from me in the euphoria filled aftermath of such happenings would be frightening and epic at the same time.

I think you should go with the on the fly, at the moment reaction.  That's always a lot more interesting to me than some calm, collected regurgitation of what happened.  

For example, I love history, and I really love to read contemporaneous new articles about great events.  I want to know how people felt at the time.  I can read all I want about the Battle of Midway, but what I really love is to read an article from that time, "REVENGE!  Huge Naval Battle in Pacific!  Japanese Fleet Heavily Damaged!" 

So, my request is, write it when it happens.    Don't pre-write it.

(01-17-2018, 10:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 08:59 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...-was-hired

I mean, if he was here last year, I dont think we would be in the AFC championship, but I guarantee you we would have won 7 or 8 games, that's without this year's FA haul

you guys can continue to defend your crazy views from years past where you were A OK with perpetual ineptitude at the coaching position and GM position before that, but it doesn't change the facts around the NFL.... only perennial losers continue to "rebuild" and continue to lose... teams with good leaders can turn things around in a single off season or 2 and the examples are plentiful and way more abundant than they are supporting the rest of your views where its OK to suck for 4 years

this isn't the NBA, where tanking ACTUALLY IS the ONLY way to improve because its a star driven league with very few of them, and now they only go to super teams already having stars.  The NFL has the most parity of any league in the world for a reason.  Coaching/scheme, etc matters so much more in football

So you are telling us that you'd rather have a 7-8 win season and not reach the AFC Championship (or more) the next year as opposed to a 3 win season and reaching the AFC championship game (or more) the next year?

Who is settling for mediocrity again?

We're not in the AFC Championship game this year without our 2017 draft class as well which we wouldn't have been able to draft with 7 or 8 wins last year.  Sure, we can hope and pray we would have had the foresight to get a guy like Kamara (if he would even have success in this type of offense) or something in the 2nd, but that's pure speculation.  Winning 7 or 8 last year assures us we don't get Fournette or Robinson unless we trade a ton of current and future draft capital to trade up to get those guys which is still speculating that it would have been possible to do so.

But it's a 1 year rebuild now and the exception is now the rule apparently for some.  Classic over reaction to and misinterpretation of a set of facts by Krayz.

The truth?  You can get somewhat competitive in a shorter period of time than what the Jags did by reloading instead of rebuilding.  Caldwell didn't have to jettison so many vets when he came in, but I don't feel like we'd be in an AFC Championship game this week had he not done that.  What the Jags did was a true rebuild that should result in years of regular playoff appearances for Jacksonville based on the age of the core of this team.  True rebuilds can't be accomplished in 1 or 2 years unless you have lottery winner type luck.  You don't hold lottery winners up as an example of how to get rich.  What Krayz is advocating is building for flash in the pan success, not sustained success.  What this team did this past 12 months (aside from getting very fortunate with one of the best free agency hauls in league history) is amazing, but it was built on the back of what really started 3 years prior.  What the Jags have done is a blueprint in process and patience, but just like anything in the NFL there's still always an element of luck involved.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018, 11:30 AM by Krayz_Jville_D.)

(01-17-2018, 10:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 08:59 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...-was-hired

I mean, if he was here last year, I dont think we would be in the AFC championship, but I guarantee you we would have won 7 or 8 games, that's without this year's FA haul

you guys can continue to defend your crazy views from years past where you were A OK with perpetual ineptitude at the coaching position and GM position before that, but it doesn't change the facts around the NFL.... only perennial losers continue to "rebuild" and continue to lose... teams with good leaders can turn things around in a single off season or 2 and the examples are plentiful and way more abundant than they are supporting the rest of your views where its OK to suck for 4 years

this isn't the NBA, where tanking ACTUALLY IS the ONLY way to improve because its a star driven league with very few of them, and now they only go to super teams already having stars.  The NFL has the most parity of any league in the world for a reason.  Coaching/scheme, etc matters so much more in football

So you are telling us that you'd rather have a 7-8 win season and not reach the AFC Championship (or more) the next year as opposed to a 3 win season and reaching the AFC championship game (or more) the next year?

what?? where in the world did I even imply such a thing???

(01-17-2018, 11:18 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 10:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote: So you are telling us that you'd rather have a 7-8 win season and not reach the AFC Championship (or more) the next year as opposed to a 3 win season and reaching the AFC championship game (or more) the next year?

We're not in the AFC Championship game this year without our 2017 draft class as well which we wouldn't have been able to draft with 7 or 8 wins last year.  Sure, we can hope and pray we would have had the foresight to get a guy like Kamara (if he would even have success in this type of offense) or something in the 2nd, but that's pure speculation.  Winning 7 or 8 last year assures us we don't get Fournette or Robinson unless we trade a ton of current and future draft capital to trade up to get those guys which is still speculating that it would have been possible to do so.

But it's a 1 year rebuild now and the exception is now the rule apparently for some.  Classic over reaction to and misinterpretation of a set of facts by Krayz.

The truth?  You can get somewhat competitive in a shorter period of time than what the Jags did by reloading instead of rebuilding.  Caldwell didn't have to jettison so many vets when he came in, but I don't feel like we'd be in an AFC Championship game this week had he not done that.  What the Jags did was a true rebuild that should result in years of regular playoff appearances for Jacksonville based on the age of the core of this team.  True rebuilds can't be accomplished in 1 or 2 years unless you have lottery winner type luck.  You don't hold lottery winners up as an example of how to get rich.  What Krayz is advocating is building for flash in the pan success, not sustained success.  What this team did this past 12 months (aside from getting very fortunate with one of the best free agency hauls in league history) is amazing, but it was built on the back of what really started 3 years prior.  What the Jags have done is a blueprint in process and patience, but just like anything in the NFL there's still always an element of luck involved.

the jags can have this same roster, and without coughlin and with gus at coach we would not have made the playoffs, that is the truth

(01-17-2018, 11:29 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 10:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote: So you are telling us that you'd rather have a 7-8 win season and not reach the AFC Championship (or more) the next year as opposed to a 3 win season and reaching the AFC championship game (or more) the next year?

(01-17-2018, 11:18 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: We're not in the AFC Championship game this year without our 2017 draft class as well which we wouldn't have been able to draft with 7 or 8 wins last year.  Sure, we can hope and pray we would have had the foresight to get a guy like Kamara (if he would even have success in this type of offense) or something in the 2nd, but that's pure speculation.  Winning 7 or 8 last year assures us we don't get Fournette or Robinson unless we trade a ton of current and future draft capital to trade up to get those guys which is still speculating that it would have been possible to do so.

the jags can have this same roster, and without coughlin and with gus at coach we would not have made the playoffs, that is the truth

That has absolutely nothing to do with what you posted.

Do YOU think the Jaguars would have had this roster without the REBUILD.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-17-2018, 09:08 AM)Rico Wrote:

How about giving me a single example of where a team dismantled an entire roster and 'turned it around in a year or two'.

once again talking about something totally irrelevant to what I am saying.

I can give multiple examples of rosters that were perceived to lack talent at the time, and then turned around instantly with a new coach... the rams is a perfect example, to anyone outside of jacksonville, we lacked talent last year, now look at the perception.. just listen to talk show guys gush about the amazing talent we now have

for many years in the nfc south, the team with the worst record would win it the very next year.  The bills have had one of the longest playoff droughts ever and were even giving away players this year and coaching still helped them get to the playoffs

no one is saying high draft picks and losing didnt help for a bit, but we have been doing that for 10 years and many picks never developed under awful coaching, then went on to have good careers elsewhere

It's so funny how some of you refuse to just admit you were wrong back then.  I still laugh to myself reading some of you make fun of Gene Smith when back when Gene was here, you defended him INTO HIS 4TH YEAR even.  Now you jump on the bandwagon of making fun of how bad he was.  Same thing for Gus.  Many of you defended him in year 3 when it was clear the guy was a bum at that point, now you laugh and make jokes as if you knew all along

Whatever makes you guys feel better, All I know is I am glad we finally got a REAL winner here again in Coughlin, who also took an expansion team to the playoffs with little talent at the time

winners know how to win, dont stick with losers for too long like we have done in the past

(01-17-2018, 11:35 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 09:08 AM)Rico Wrote: How about giving me a single example of where a team dismantled an entire roster and 'turned it around in a year or two'.

once again talking about something totally irrelevant to what I am saying.

I can give multiple examples of rosters that were perceived to lack talent at the time, and then turned around instantly with a new coach... the rams is a perfect example, to anyone outside of jacksonville, we lacked talent last year, now look at the perception.. just listen to talk show guys gush about the amazing talent we now have

for many years in the nfc south, the team with the worst record would win it the very next year.  The bills have had one of the longest playoff droughts ever and were even giving away players this year and coaching still helped them get to the playoffs

no one is saying high draft picks and losing didnt help for a bit, but we have been doing that for 10 years and many picks never developed under awful coaching, then went on to have good careers elsewhere

It's so funny how some of you refuse to just admit you were wrong back then.  I still laugh to myself reading some of you make fun of Gene Smith when back when Gene was here, you defended him INTO HIS 4TH YEAR even.  Now you jump on the bandwagon of making fun of how bad he was.  Same thing for Gus.  Many of you defended him in year 3 when it was clear the guy was a bum at that point, now you laugh and make jokes as if you knew all along

Whatever makes you guys feel better, All I know is I am glad we finally got a REAL winner here again in Coughlin, who also took an expansion team to the playoffs with little talent at the time

winners know how to win, dont stick with losers for too long like we have done in the past

Sorry, you are really flailing in the wind here.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2018, 11:39 AM by Krayz_Jville_D.)

(01-17-2018, 11:35 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:29 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: what?? where in the world did I even imply such a thing???

That has absolutely nothing to do with what you posted.

that has EVERYTHING to do with what I posted.  I never said a rebuild wasn't necessary to gather talent.  WHAT I SAID WAS you should not allow a coach to have 4 years of 3 wins in a row and hide behind the rebuild moniker.

You can win quickly after rebuilding supplementing through free agency and making the right draft choices and having good coaching.  Good coaching is crucial

you guys are the ones arguing something different from the post.  Having Coughlin here last year and not Gus and us winning 5 more games than last year is EVERYTHING that I am posting about.

Rebuilding is eventually needed for everyone, unless you constantly are supplementing eventual replacements like the patriots.  Stop arguing something irrelevant.

Those of you who defended Gene for 4 years and Gus as well look ridiculous, and you can try to act like you dont all you want, doesn't change the facts

(01-17-2018, 11:37 AM)Rico Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:35 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: once again talking about something totally irrelevant to what I am saying.

Sorry, you are really flailing in the wind here.

if putting me down makes you feel better about blindly following anyone who is coach at the time or GM at the time no matter how bad the results, then so be it, that's on you.

Get the right people in here running a football team, and things turn around much quicker

(01-17-2018, 11:38 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:35 AM)Rico Wrote: That has absolutely nothing to do with what you posted.

that has EVERYTHING to do with what I posted.  I never said a rebuild wasn't necessary to gather talent.  WHAT I SAID WAS you should not allow a coach to have 4 years of 3 wins in a row and hide behind the rebuild moniker.

You can win quickly after rebuilding supplementing through free agency and making the right draft choices and having good coaching.  Good coaching is crucial

you guys are the ones arguing something different from the post.  Having Coughlin here last year and not Gus and us winning 5 more games than last year is EVERYTHING that I am posting about.

Rebuilding is eventually needed for everyone, unless you constantly are supplementing eventual replacements like the patriots.  Stop arguing something irrelevant.

Those of you who defended Gene for 4 years and Gus as well look ridiculous, and you can try to act like you dont all you want, doesn't change the facts

(01-17-2018, 11:37 AM)Rico Wrote: Sorry, you are really flailing in the wind here.

if putting me down makes you feel better about blindly following anyone who is coach at the time or GM at the time no matter how bad the results, then so be it, that's on you.

Get the right people in here running a football team, and things turn around much quicker

Good grief.  You're the one that seems to need to 'feel better' seeing as you're the only one with this notion.  You must need a hug.

(01-17-2018, 11:38 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:35 AM)Rico Wrote: That has absolutely nothing to do with what you posted.

(01-17-2018, 11:37 AM)Rico Wrote: Sorry, you are really flailing in the wind here.

Okay...I still want to see where you advocated hiring Marrone before the hire, or lauded the choice immediately after it was made.

You are saying "I told you so" based solely on the fact we may have kept Bradley too long.

Anyone can say a coach should be fired.

But in your closing line here, you say "get the right people in here running a football team."

We can only assume that Marrone was the right person for this team.

If this is true, where was your advocacy for Marrone before or immediately after the hire?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-17-2018, 11:18 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: We're not in the AFC Championship game this year without our 2017 draft class as well which we wouldn't have been able to draft with 7 or 8 wins last year.  Sure, we can hope and pray we would have had the foresight to get a guy like Kamara (if he would even have success in this type of offense) or something in the 2nd, but that's pure speculation.  Winning 7 or 8 last year assures us we don't get Fournette or Robinson unless we trade a ton of current and future draft capital to trade up to get those guys which is still speculating that it would have been possible to do so.

That's a silly statement that you can't actually know to be "truth"
Sure we can all assume as much and even believe it to be true. 
But you just don't know.
And that simple line you stated proves that the rebuild didn't happen in one year a change of philosophy and coaching can net better results from one year to the next... But you don't go from being complete trash to really good in one year.
Your line about TC and coaching preaches to the fact that the talent and rebuild wasn't the problem, just the direction.
And it isn't over... they aren't done adding and subtracting from this roster either.

A coaching change often coincides with rebuilding, but that's not what happened here.  Everything stayed the same, they didn't jettison players this past offseason or rebuild anything.  They doubled down on their process.  You used the phrase "truth about rebuilds" as your title and now you're talking specifically about a coaching change being the driving factor once you were challenged on your point.  At best, that's moving the goal posts.

When you said this:

Quote:I mean, if he was here last year, I dont think we would be in the AFC championship, but I guarantee you we would have won 7 or 8 games, that's without this year's FA haul

You have been saying Bradley should have been fired sooner.

When you said Marrone (the right coach) would have had the 2016 team at about 7-8 wins.

Does this team advance to the AFC Championship this year without Fournette, Cam Robinson, or Dede Westbrook?

Short answer:  no.

If we won 7-8 games in 2016, are we in a position to draft any of those guys this year?  Fournette?  Definitely not.  Robinson?  Probably not.

(01-17-2018, 12:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 11:29 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: what?? where in the world did I even imply such a thing???

When you said this:

Quote:I mean, if he was here last year, I dont think we would be in the AFC championship, but I guarantee you we would have won 7 or 8 games, that's without this year's FA haul

When you said Marrone (the right coach) would have had the 2016 team at about 7-8 wins.

Does this team advance to the AFC Championship this year without Fournette, Cam Robinson, or Dede Westbrook?

If we won 7-8 games in 2016, are we in a position to draft any of those guys this year?  Fournette?  Definitely not.  Robinson?  Probably not.

Robinson probably would have been our 1st round selection in the late teens or whatever we drafted.
I mean.. I'm guessing.

(01-17-2018, 12:57 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 12:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote: When you said this:

Robinson probably would have been our 1st round selection in the late teens or whatever we drafted.
I mean.. I'm guessing.
I was thinking that too...but there's no telling how the draft would have turned without us there at 4.

(01-17-2018, 01:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 12:57 PM)Kane Wrote: Robinson probably would have been our 1st round selection in the late teens or whatever we drafted.
I mean.. I'm guessing.
I was thinking that too...but there's no telling how the draft would have turned without us there at 4.

True... but I would have gladly taken those 7 or 8 wins last season... it was a rough ride in 2016.

(01-17-2018, 01:15 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 01:14 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I was thinking that too...but there's no telling how the draft would have turned without us there at 4.

True... but I would have gladly taken those 7 or 8 wins last season... it was a rough ride in 2016.

It was brutal under Bradley.

I've repeatedly acknowledged there was an argument to be made for firing Bradley after 2015, even though I advocated keeping him around that extra year until that Raiders game.

I certainly would have felt better about the team at the time, but it brings me back to where we are now.

(01-17-2018, 01:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 01:15 PM)Kane Wrote: True... but I would have gladly taken those 7 or 8 wins last season... it was a rough ride in 2016.

It was brutal under Bradley.

I've repeatedly acknowledged there was an argument to be made for firing Bradley after 2015, even though I advocated keeping him around that extra year until that Raiders game.

I certainly would have felt better about the team at the time, but it brings me back to where we are now.

I've had a bad habit of being the guy that wants to hold onto a player, coach, etc for 1 year too long.

This year I vowed not to be that guy, which is why I've clamored for an eventual replacement for Bortles (or at the very least real young competition)
And of course, as soon as I jumped off his bandwagon he started playing better.... lol

(01-17-2018, 01:45 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 01:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote: It was brutal under Bradley.

I've had a bad habit of being the guy that wants to hold onto a player, coach, etc for 1 year too long.

This year I vowed not to be that guy, which is why I've clamored for an eventual replacement for Bortles (or at the very least real young competition)
And of course, as soon as I jumped off his bandwagon he started playing better.... lol
Bortles presents an interesting situation for us.

Suppose we win it all with him?  Extend him or go the Ravens to Elvis Grbac route?  Do we sign a FA QB and risk losing FAs down the road?

If we go to the SB and lose...what then?
If he performs well Sunday but lose, then what?