Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags post sharpest drop in NFL attendance

(01-04-2020, 06:31 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: Lmao....you guys are so funny...so what did I say that wasn't fact and a lie. I guess I just imagined tarped seats...blacked out games. Or playoff game that didn't sell out...Which happened in 2007 btw...so what out of that is not true

The stadium size was/is a compromise for Florida Georgia annual game. For a small market the capacity was excessive.  Do some research is all. The situation isnt perfect but the tarp stuff is overblown. I sat in limited view seating back in 1997 playoffs and it sucked. The game atmosphere made it awesome but the view was crud.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-04-2020, 12:55 PM)TheBigDawg Wrote: Average seating capacity of NFL stadiums....69,444
Average attendance of Jags past 10 years....62,000

So, according to basic math.... We have kept the average NFL stadium at 90% capacity for the last ten years.

You're right, definite problem with the fan base supporting the team. ?

Nice try....it goes by how much the stadium holds and how many tickets they sell... Not other stadiums and not averages...and I'm guessing you missed the part where I said it has gotten better and I don't want to see it go down hill like it did between 2000-2010

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 06:46 PM by MoJagFan.)

(01-04-2020, 06:38 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 12:55 PM)TheBigDawg Wrote: Average seating capacity of NFL stadiums....69,444
Average attendance of Jags past 10 years....62,000

So, according to basic math.... We have kept the average NFL stadium at 90% capacity for the last ten years.

You're right, definite problem with the fan base supporting the team. ?

Nice try....it goes by how much the stadium holds and how many tickets they sell... Not other stadiums and not averages...and I'm guessing you missed the part where I said it has gotten better and I don't want to see it go down hill like it did between 2000-2010

His point is better than a nice try.  Soldier field is 61,500 for a monster traditional market. Jax averaged above Soldier field, I guess propped up a bit by London Games but the point remains.  Don't call out the city or fans.

Edit

There is a reason why Tampa dropped over 9k seats when they built a new one.
The Khan Years

Jacksonville without the London game averaged 59,987 per game. That should be higher but considering we've had one playoff season last decade and were one of the worst overall teams during that period it's probably higher than most cities could manage.

(01-04-2020, 06:50 PM)DragonFury Wrote: Jacksonville without the London game averaged 59,987 per game. That should be higher but considering we've had one playoff season last decade and were one of the worst overall teams during that period it's probably higher than most cities could manage.

Ha okay that will teach me to not zoom in more on the original charts. Thanks for clarifying.  I will stand behind the fans still.
The Khan Years

(01-04-2020, 03:18 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 12:32 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: You don't see a problem at all? Okay cool... Or you could just be a really dumb person... You like getting insulted for your opinion? You obviously like insulting and calling people names because they don't have the same opinions as you.... You must be a blast at parties... I have a feeling you don't have many friends...

Yo, your period key is malfunctioning.

FTFY

(01-04-2020, 04:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: He seems to be on his period just fine.

"like"

When they start acting like an NFL team again instead of an XFL team, I'll reopen my wallet..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(01-04-2020, 06:31 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: Lmao....you guys are so funny...so what did I say that wasn't fact and a lie. I guess I just imagined tarped seats...blacked out games. Or playoff game that didn't sell out...Which happened in 2007 btw...so what out of that is not true

Older guys like me remember when the Pats where struggling to get 50K in attendance back in the 80s. Winning (even when cheating) has a direct impact on attendance. All playoff games in Jacksonville sold out by the way, the team didn't have a home playoff game in 2007. LOL
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-04-2020, 07:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Older guys like me remember when the Pats where struggling to get 50K in attendance back in the 80s. Winning (even when cheating) has a direct impact on attendance. All playoff games in Jacksonville sold out by the way, the team didn't have a home playoff game in 2007. LOL

Boston is a mediocre football town and will go back to being one just as soon as the winning stops.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2020, 11:05 PM by nejagsfan.)

(01-04-2020, 09:22 PM)DragonFury Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 07:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Older guys like me remember when the Pats where struggling to get 50K in attendance back in the 80s. Winning (even when cheating) has a direct impact on attendance. All playoff games in Jacksonville sold out by the way, the team didn't have a home playoff game in 2007. LOL

Boston is a mediocre football town and will go back to being one just as soon as the winning stops.

Probably...they definitely have the most fair weather fans going....it's ridiculous up here... You have 10 year old girls decked out in Pat's gear... The fact that a whole generation has been born on Patriots winning they know nothing else

The product on the field is Rotten. Should be expected after Khans empty promises.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

It goes to show that winning fixes ticket issues....... And losing causes them. Not every fan base will come watch mediocrity week after week. Once the season was essentially over, the drop in attendance was quite noticable.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I used to be one of the guys that would make fun of the "fair-weather fans".  As I've gotten older/wiser, and especially after I moved to Texas, I realized that being a fan is a partnership.  The team has to give the fans something to be excited about if they want those entertainment dollars.  

Winning, of course, is the ultimate cure for attendance woes, but heck - if the team is at least competitive and somewhat exciting, that at least adds to the entertainment value.  

The outside of 2017, the Jags just have not been an exciting team to watch.  They're out of the playoff hunt early in the season, poorly coached, and simply boring.  

Watching the Texans game yesterday, you knew that Watson was going to keep the Texans in the game all the way to the end even though they were down 16-0.  He's an exciting player.  Minshew displayed some of that same "magic" early on and that helped, but after he was benched for Foles, you could just see the air let out of the team.  Foles is not a dynamic player.  Can't scramble, can't extend plays.  Foles might be an ok game manager that will win you a SuperBowl if you surround him with top-notch talent, but that is never going to happen as long as you keep DM/DC running things.  

The only real hope that things don't go further south next year is Minshew.  Can the Jags finally fix the O-line and give Minshew another weapon besides Chark?  Can the Jags finally start using multiple RB's instead of just giving the ball to Fournette and allowing him to get worn down and less explosive? 

It's just hard to get excited for 2020 when you've got the same bozos running the show that have been here for years and proven that it's far more likely to get a 10 loss season than it is to get a 10 win one.

(01-04-2020, 08:29 AM)I wonder if there will be Caldrac Wrote: 28th in fan attendance - 2019
17th in fan attendance - 2018
21st in fan attendance - 2017
26th in fan attendance - 2016

Winning pretty much cures all in a small market city. We're no worse than the rest of the basement dwellers of the NFL in attendance.

We're maybe one of the bottom 6 - 8 teams in market size. So if you factor that into the equation.

This city's fans have done a decent job consistently showing up for one of the NFL's most extremely inconsistent products for awhile now.

This isn't the early 2000's where tickets were being handed out at Winn Dixie. I personally can't wait for the NFL to fail in Los Angeles again and Las Vegas in due time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I wonder if in the club seat area of the new Las Vegas Raider's stadium there will be slots and gaming tables? No doubt there will be slots at the concession areas for the hoi polloi. Unfair revenue advantage?

(01-05-2020, 09:54 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: I used to be one of the guys that would make fun of the "fair-weather fans".  As I've gotten older/wiser, and especially after I moved to Texas, I realized that being a fan is a partnership.  The team has to give the fans something to be excited about if they want those entertainment dollars.  

Winning, of course, is the ultimate cure for attendance woes, but heck - if the team is at least competitive and somewhat exciting, that at least adds to the entertainment value.  

The outside of 2017, the Jags just have not been an exciting team to watch.  They're out of the playoff hunt early in the season, poorly coached, and simply boring.  

Watching the Texans game yesterday, you knew that Watson was going to keep the Texans in the game all the way to the end even though they were down 16-0.  He's an exciting player.  Minshew displayed some of that same "magic" early on and that helped, but after he was benched for Foles, you could just see the air let out of the team.  Foles is not a dynamic player.  Can't scramble, can't extend plays.  Foles might be an ok game manager that will win you a SuperBowl if you surround him with top-notch talent, but that is never going to happen as long as you keep DM/DC running things.  

The only real hope that things don't go further south next year is Minshew.  Can the Jags finally fix the O-line and give Minshew another weapon besides Chark?  Can the Jags finally start using multiple RB's instead of just giving the ball to Fournette and allowing him to get worn down and less explosive? 

It's just hard to get excited for 2020 when you've got the same bozos running the show that have been here for years and proven that it's far more likely to get a 10 loss season than it is to get a 10 win one.

The first 9 games this year fit your requirements. Then our Star in the Making got benched.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-04-2020, 09:03 AM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 08:54 AM)copycat Wrote: But of course the attendance dropped.  A bad day of fishing is much, much better than attending that [BLEEP] show they put on display this year.

This kind of attitude is exactly my point... And fan after fan after fan says this....why don't you guys just tell the team to leave you obviously don't respect it enough to keep it in your city....

Go get bent.  My butt has been parked in the north endzone for 25 years.  Don't talk to me about loyalty.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(01-03-2020, 09:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This will feed the Major League conspiracy theorists. 

Fifteen NFL teams saw drops in attendance this season, with the Jaguars posting the steepest in the league, according to a report by Sports Business Daily.
Jacksonville’s home game attendance at TIAA Bank Field dropped 8.7% from 2018, according to the report. The Jaguars finished 6-10 and last place in the AFC South and suffered through a five-game losing streak — losses by 17 points or more — that was the worst in the NFL since the Buccaneers in 1986.

The Raiders (7.6%) and Bengals (7%) posted the next sharpest drops in home game attendance...

I'd say nowhere to go but up, but I really am not so sure about that rn.

Winning cures everything, but firing Coughlin is at least a heckuva placebo.

(01-04-2020, 07:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

(That's just his opinion, man.)

(01-04-2020, 06:36 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:

The stadium size was/is a compromise for Florida Georgia annual game. For a small market the capacity was excessive.  Do some research is all. The situation isnt perfect but the tarp stuff is overblown. I sat in limited view seating back in 1997 playoffs and it sucked. The game atmosphere made it awesome but the view was crud.

Playoff games in Jacksonville:

1998 victory over Pats at Alltell:  71,139
1999 - 75,173 (vs phins in a blowout win)  75,206 (loss to titans)
2017 - 67,442 (win over bills) 

There was no home game in the 2007 playoffs.

And ALL of these playoff games in JAX were indeed sellouts - in fact - the 90's games were all well BEYOND the stadiums official capacity of 67,000 as seats were added to hold more fans.

(01-06-2020, 12:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 06:36 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: The stadium size was/is a compromise for Florida Georgia annual game. For a small market the capacity was excessive.  Do some research is all. The situation isnt perfect but the tarp stuff is overblown. I sat in limited view seating back in 1997 playoffs and it sucked. The game atmosphere made it awesome but the view was crud.

Playoff games in Jacksonville:

1998 victory over Pats at Alltell:  71,139
1999 - 75,173 (vs phins in a blowout win)  75,206 (loss to titans)
2017 - 67,442 (win over bills) 

There was no home game in the 2007 playoffs.

And ALL of these playoff games in JAX were indeed sellouts - in fact - the 90's games were all well BEYOND the stadiums official capacity of 67,000 as seats were added to hold more fans.

Official capacity in the nineties was 73,000.