Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do we need a new QB?

Andrew Luck CAREER completion % = 58.2%

Blake Bortles CAREER completion % = 59.0%

Luck is 27. Bortles is 24 and has a 61% completion % this year.

Yes, let's draft a new QB like Byron Leftwich or David Garrard please!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Clearly you don't understand statistics. He's been better than Big Ben the past 2 seasons in INT%. When you lead the NFL in passing attempts two years straight, you will throw INTs clown

Big Ben also had a much better Y/A and passer rating.  His good has outweighed his bad, not to mention his career 94 passer rating and having 3 years over 100.  Can someone explain why he is 0-17 when he throws for 300+ yards?  I don't care how bad a team is, if a guy is top ten he should have at least won one game when he threw for high yards.   I'm not bashing the guy saying he can't become that guy, but he isn't right now, he needs to improve especially when he plays on the road.

Quote:Big Ben also had a much better Y/A and passer rating.  His good has outweighed his bad, not to mention his career 94 passer rating and having 3 years over 100.  Can someone explain why he is 0-17 when he throws for 300+ yards?  I don't care how bad a team is, if a guy is top ten he should have at least won one game when he threw for high yards.   I'm not bashing the guy saying he can't become that guy, but he isn't right now, he needs to improve especially when he plays on the road.
he is 0-9 not 0-17 but still. Prob cuz we cant run the ball or stop the opposing team from scoring so we are in attack mode.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 06:01 PM by spacecoastjag.)

Quote:Big Ben also had a much better Y/A and passer rating. His good has outweighed his bad, not to mention his career 94 passer rating and having 3 years over 100. Can someone explain why he is 0-17 when he throws for 300+ yards? I don't care how bad a team is, if a guy is top ten he should have at least won one game when he threw for high yards. I'm not bashing the guy saying he can't become that guy, but he isn't right now, he needs to improve especially when he plays on the road.
Easily. He's 0-9 when he throws for 300 yards because the Jags have the 29th ranked scoring defense AFTER having the 31st ranked scoring defense in 2015.

It's not neurosurgery. Bortles has to score 40 points every game to win.

Meanwhile, Teddy Bridgewater can score 15 points and win 11 out of 16.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM by jradMITEX.)

Quote:Andrew Luck CAREER completion % = 58.2%

Blake Bortles CAREER completion % = 59.0%

Luck is 27. Bortles is 24 and has a 61% completion % this year.

Yes, let's draft a new QB like Byron Leftwich or David Garrard please!

When BB can have the year Luck had in 2014, or the team can approach 8 wins we can start to compare them.  So basically the conclusion is that the Colts roster/ coaching is the difference in their vastly different winning percentage as starting QB's?  That's a huge stretch, because it looks like Jax has better recievers and comparably bad running games and o-lines and defenses.   Luck's best year healthy 28.6 ppg 11-5, not to mention an AFC championship appearance.  BB 23.5 ppg, 5-11.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 06:13 PM by spacecoastjag.)

Quote:When BB can have the year Luck had in 2014, or the team can approach 8 wins we can start to compare them. So basically the conclusion is that the Colts roster/ coaching is the difference in their vastly different winning percentage as starting QB's? That's a huge stretch, because it looks like Jax has better recievers and comparably bad running games and o-lines and defenses. Luck's best year healthy 28.6 ppg 11-5, not to mention an AFC championship appearance. BB 23.5 ppg, 5-11.
Well to educate you, in 2014 Indy had the 11th best scoring defense in the NFL.

Bortles has the 31st best scoring defense.

I wouldn't expect you to understand how wins and losses work.

Quote:When BB can have the year Luck had in 2014, or the team can approach 8 wins we can start to compare them.  So basically the conclusion is that the Colts roster/ coaching is the difference in their vastly different winning percentage as starting QB's?  That's a huge stretch, because it looks like Jax has better recievers and comparably bad running games and o-lines and defenses.   Luck's best year healthy 28.6 ppg 11-5, not to mention an AFC championship appearance.  BB 23.5 ppg, 5-11.
Luck's 2014 wasn't all that. He played below average against the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, Eagles, and Broncos in the regular season, but of course feasted on the historically bad AFC South and other bottom feeders and padded his stats accordingly. Played ok against the Bengals in the playoffs, but mediocre against the Broncos and miserably against the Patriots. So I wouldn't get all too hyped up on Luck's "breakout year" there.  

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016, 06:16 PM by spacecoastjag.)

Quote:Luck's 2014 wasn't all that. He played below average against the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, Eagles, and Broncos in the regular season, but of course feasted on the historically bad AFC South and other bottom feeders and padded his stats accordingly. Played ok against the Bengals in the playoffs, but mediocre against the Broncos and miserably against the Patriots. So I wouldn't get all too hyped up on Luck's "breakout year" there.

Lol Luck had the #11 defense in the NFL that year. Bortles has the #31 and #29 defenses every year. If Bortles isn't leading the #1 offense in the NFL every year, the Jags defense ain't sniffing the playoffs

Does Tampa Bay need a new QB?  Jameis was worst than Blake yesterday.

So easy to fix, MORE BUBBLE SCREENS... just because it does not work 95% of the time does not mean we need to stop doing it, JUST DO IT MORE!!

BUBBLE SCREEN TEAM, BUBBLE SCREEN TEAM... THE JAGWADS ARE THE BUBBLE SCREEN TEAM!!

Sing it baby...

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Quote:It's not neurosurgery. Bortles has to score 40 points every game to win.

Cmon space,, that's not true (although I get your meaning).

2015 the Jags won games scoring:

23 vs Dolphins

22 vs Ravens

19 vs Titans

and in some of the games the Jags lost, the opponents only scored:

20 Carolina (included a pick 6)

16 Colts

23 Atlanta (almost a pick 6 when Blake tackled the defender very deep in scoring tereitory)

Jags also held the Colts to 16 the day they beat them.

That's 7 games last year where the opponents scoring was VERY reasonable,, and Blake did not have to score 40 points to win.

A very big part to holding opponents to a reasonable score is the offenses ability to possess the ball for sustained drives and scoring points. The Jags offense was okay vs Green Bay. They moved and possessed the ball.

Yesterday?

Whew,, ugly on all three phases of the team.

Quote:Cmon space,, that's not true (although I get your meaning).

2015 the Jags won games scoring:

23 vs Dolphins

22 vs Ravens

19 vs Titans

and in some of the games the Jags lost, the opponents only scored:

20 Carolina (included a pick 6)

16 Colts

23 Atlanta (almost a pick 6 when Blake tackled the defender very deep in scoring tereitory)

Jags also held the Colts to 16 the day they beat them.

That's 7 games last year where the opponents scoring was VERY reasonable,, and Blake did not have to score 40 points to win.

A very big part to holding opponents to a reasonable score is the offenses ability to possess the ball for sustained drives and scoring points. The Jags offense was okay vs Green Bay. They moved and possessed the ball.

Yesterday?

Whew,, ugly on all three phases of the team.

Again you're missing the point. The Jags #14 scoring offense is irrelevant when you're defense is #31. You can forget about playoffs forever until you have a competent defense.

If a #14 offense and #31 defense nets a (5-11) record, then even a #1 offense and a #31 defense nets an (8-8) record.

The opponents scoring output last year was held low in at least 7 games. The Jags still failed to win some of those. That was not on the defense.

The defense was not the entire problem in every game. The offense (and special teams) heavily contributed to those losses too. 9 points against the Panthers?

13 points against the Colts? Meyers sicker in that one.

All I'm saying, and what most people see, is that the offense's play during some games contributes to the losses when they fail to move the ball and score.

Just answer me this:

In yesterday's game,, did Blake's play in the first 3 qtrs have a negative impact on the game?

Simple yes or no, plz.

[Image: 14317333_10153970350637993_8058154055755...e=583B7FBD]

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

At this point, I am in the "I don't know" camp.

I'm definitely not giving up on Bortles yet.  But I also am definitely not convinced he's some great future franchise QB like some of you.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I'm not bashing Blake but lets get real he is what he is. A int machine ask yourself this question..(A) How man games has this guy cost us in the last three years. ( B) Name me one big game he's won against mediocre competition? All I'm saying is I'd pump the breaks on him being a franchise QB. Remember at one time another UCF QB name Dante Culpepper threw for 42 TD. If they're is a QB in the top of the draft next year it shouldn't be out of the question that we look at him. 

In a word, no.  I was a little frustrated by how inaccurate he was at times yesterday but overall he's a good talent who works his tail off and has a will to win.  Some better protection on the OL would help a lot as would a better OC, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

No, he is a good QB and I think he will continue to be good. I will say he should run early in a game to open up the A-team. Lee needs to learn how to hold on to a catch. Can we stop turning over the ball on the 1st drive, that kills us. We are to predictable. If the other team crowds the line we throw a quick screen pass to the outside. Waste of down. Why haven't we replaced Luke on the line and who will cover Beachum. How did we sign a guy that couldn't even protect is X-QB (BEN). Did we spend to much money on defense when we should have split it for offense. What's up with Ivory? Is he gonna be a Thomas for the first year. So many questions with no answers and will still be asking the same ones later in the season.  

Quote:He cost us the game? Chargers scored 38 points, ran it down our throats, and Rivers had 4 td passes, was he good yesterday, No but it wasnt all on him.

Also he's in his 3rd freaking year, will you people stop expecting a HOF QB out of the dude, every QB has bad games, he has a avg OL, and the running game has been terrible this year, everything is on this kids shoulder.

Good QB's dont grow on trees

Here's a related question to what you expressed.

Has Blake Bortles ever been the Jaguars starting QB in a game in which the team led by 14 or more points?   I can't recall a game that fits that description.  

I'm very interested to see what Blake Bortles does when the Jaguars Defense is at the level that the team builds double digit leads with some regularity and has a relatively healthy pounder like Chris Ivory to further help compliment the team's passing game. 

Quote:So first time Bortles got to throw the ball he was facing 2nd and 16 from the 13 and down a touchdown.

After that 3 and out he got the ball back on the 13 and they ran 2 straight run plays, the interception then came on the 3rd down. He then didn't get the ball again until 14-0 down.

Got to play better around him and give him a chance to get the offence moving early.

Unfortunately, MOST Gus Bradley games start this way for the past 4 years. Then a bunch of Jags fans bring up "garbage time" stats because our defense is ALWAYS in garbage time

No. This post is ridiculous