Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
U.S. Sent Cash to Iran as Americans Were Freed

Quote:For some reason youtube links are not showing up. search this

Fox News interviews one of the Iranian hostages about the night the hostages were released

It is Fox News so I'll take it with a grain of salt, but I'll try to find it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:There ya go, cuz they said so... Geez.

But the question is why? Wouldn't a wire transfer be more secure? Why money on a secret mission? I understand why it may be a secret upfront (don't exactly want the world to know you're flying in $400 million) , but why not tell the American people once the deal is done? Why was it a secret? Did you get any of those answers that were fed by the white house?

As stated numerous times,  US LAW PREVENTS THE GOVERNMENT FROM GIVING IRAN US DOLLARS, SO THE SETTLEMENT LEGALLY HAD TO BE PAID IN NON-US CURRENCY

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016, 06:25 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:As stated numerous times, US LAW PREVENTS THE GOVERNMENT FROM GIVING IRAN US DOLLARS, SO THE SETTLEMENT LEGALLY HAD TO BE PAID IN NON-US CURRENCY
THANK YOU FOR CAPITALIZING. AND YELLING.

I do see via online that there doesn't seem to be exceptions. Seems odd though we pay something we owe them, but can't pay with our own money so we just use a loop hole and pay with our own money. Anyways, I digress.

Felonoius Monk, can you tell me why they didn't wire the funds which would have been more secure instead of dropping $400 million and planning an operation which I'm sure was pretty expensive? That's a serious question because maybe they have a great explanation for that, the secret mission they didn't want anyone knowing about, why they didn't want anyone knowing about it and how the other 1.3 billion was paid.

I figured you had all the answers, but I do prefer the answers all capitalized so I actually understand what you are saying.

So I found the video. An analyst said she talked to one of the hostages (no name mentioned), but it is only found on YouTube and no mention on Fox News. It should be pretty big news. Either it's complete BS or something else is going on.

http://youtu.be/zLR0Vt2sXWQ

Quote:THANK YOU FOR CAPITALIZING. AND YELLING.

I do see via online that there doesn't seem to be exceptions. Seems odd though we pay something we owe them, but can't pay with our own money so we just use a loop hole and pay with our own money. Anyways, I digress.

Felonoius Monk, can you tell me why they didn't wire the funds which would have been more secure instead of dropping $400 million and planning an operation which I'm sure was pretty expensive? That's a serious question because maybe they have a great explanation for that, the secret mission they didn't want anyone knowing about, why they didn't want anyone knowing about it and how the other 1.3 billion was paid.

I figured you had all the answers, but I do prefer the answers all capitalized so I actually understand what you are saying.

So I found the video. An analyst said she talked to one of the hostages (no name mentioned), but it is only found on YouTube and no mention on Fox News. It should be pretty big news. Either it's complete [BAD WORD REMOVED] or something else is going on.

It looks like the wiring of funds to or from Iran is also against the O.F.A.C. regulations.

Effective November 10, 2008, the authorization for “U-turn” transfers involving

Iran was revoked. As of that date, U.S. depository institutions are no longer

authorized to process transfers involving Iran that originate and end with

non-Iranian foreign banks. Details concerning the revocation of the U-turn

authorization and a description of currently permissible funds transfers can be

found in the Financial Dealings with Iran section of this document.

It could also be a matter that Iran demanded the hard currency.  Due to the fact that they have been a pariah state under major global sanctions for years their banks were not able to use SWIFT, the worldwide transaction network that most of the developed world uses.

Quote:It is not very difficult to find the answers to most of these.  You just have to use your eyes and brains instead of your "smell test"

<div>"The settlement was announced the same day in January as Iran received its first round of sanctions relief from the Iran deal.

So yes, this "settlement" was announced.  Why in CASH and why the secrecy of the "down payment" or "first installment"?

The $400 million payment, delivered in foreign cash because US law prevents the government from giving Iran dollars, was the first installment toward the $1.7 billion total. Getting together large amounts of foreign cash is hard, apparently — hence the installment plan.

Why is that?  Because Iran happens to be on the list of States that Spenser Terrorism?

So there you have it. The payment, which sounds really shady out of context, was actually the end of a boring, decades-old international legal case totally unrelated to the hot-button nuclear and prisoner issues."

</div>

You are one of the ones that just buries your head in the sand and doesn't open your eyes and see what exactly is going on in front of us.  Go back to your pokemon game or whatever it is that distracts low information voters these days.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:You are one of the ones that just buries your head in the sand and doesn't open your eyes and see what exactly is going on in front of us.  Go back to your pokemon game or whatever it is that distracts low information voters these days.

Wow!  Is Mr. Smell Test calling me a low information voter?  Oh, the irony...

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016, 07:41 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:It looks like the wiring of funds to or from Iran is also against the O.F.A.C. regulations.

Effective November 10, 2008, the authorization for “U-turn” transfers involving

Iran was revoked. As of that date, U.S. depository institutions are no longer

authorized to process transfers involving Iran that originate and end with

non-Iranian foreign banks. Details concerning the revocation of the U-turn

authorization and a description of currently permissible funds transfers can be

found in the Financial Dealings with Iran section of this document.

It could also be a matter that Iran demanded the hard currency. Due to the fact that they have been a pariah state under major global sanctions for years their banks were not able to use SWIFT, the worldwide transaction network that most of the developed world uses.

What happened to caps lock?

This also begs another question then. Why on earth are we sending them money? We can't wire them funds, but we can pay them in cash? Does that not sound stupid? Again, serious question and nothing to do with conspiracy.

I'm always curious what peoples backgrounds are who defend actions like this. Government employees maybe? What gives?

Quote:What happened to caps lock?

This also begs another question then. Why on earth are we sending them money? We can't wire them funds, but we can pay them in cash? Does that not sound stupid? Again, serious question and nothing to do with conspiracy.

I generally only go to caps lock when repeating something for the third time.  Figured it best to change it up when it wasn't noticed the first two times.

Why are we sending them money?  Well it goes back to an unreturned payment that Iran made to us in 1979 that was just recently settled in the Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal in Den Hague.

The fact it was paid in foreign currency was indeed a loophole around the US Currency to Iran prohibitions.  The fact it was paid in hard currency is because the US does not have any banking relationship with Iran.  Iran is not on the global banking network.  It was literally impossible to do a direct wire transfer to them.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2016, 08:11 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

[Image: 200_s.gif]

For a security guard, he had an awful

lot of information, don't you think?

Obama spent 7 minutes explaining why it wasn't a ransom payment.  Meanwhile a raft of ducks waddled, quacked, and splatted in front of the podium.

Quote:I have a question and am not even close to being well versed in terrorist governments, past debt, etc...

My question is, can US pay money to Iranian Government with wire transfer? Is there any other safer means? Also, irregardless if Iran didn't want US dollars (like to see the evidence on that) hypothetically, could we have paid Iran from Government wire directly to them if it is for money owed even if they are a terrorist Government? And isn't anyone else interested to know how they paid the other 1.3 billion? Even you Dems? That could tell us a lot about the $400 million. Why won't they tell us the answer? Doesn't that at the very least make you question what went down? Do the American people really not have a right to know where and how are money is being spent?

You should listen to your President speak about this.  He'd educate you on it.

Sorry guys, there's nothing here.  But go ahead and make it another bengazi... 

Quote:You are one of the ones that just buries your head in the sand and doesn't open your eyes and see what exactly is going on in front of us.  Go back to your pokemon game or whatever it is that distracts low information voters these days.

So childish.  The guy is owning you on facts so you come with personal attacks.  

It was completely coincidental that the hostage plane and the ransom plane were on the same tarmac at the same time.  The hostages just wanted to talk to the pallet movers about golf and grandchildren, is all.  It's amazing how people jump to conclusions and see conspiracies everywhere.

Quote:You should listen to your President speak about this. He'd educate you on it.

Sorry guys, there's nothing here. But go ahead and make it another bengazi...

I believe it has been pretty rational discussion. I know dems take their playbook straight from hillary, but there are questions unanswered. Wanting answers to questions when 1.7 Billion is sent over to Iran (out tax dollars) that just happens to coincide with released hostages and a flight that was never disclosed is not absurd. The Obama administration decided to keep this a secret. That's on them. But please, we need more Donald Trump looked at someone strange posts so feel free to add to the board.

Quote:I believe it has been pretty rational discussion. I know dems take their playbook straight from hillary, but there are questions unanswered. Wanting answers to questions when 1.7 Billion is sent over to Iran (out tax dollars) that just happens to coincide with released hostages and a flight that was never disclosed is not absurd. The Obama administration decided to keep this a secret. That's on them. But please, we need more Donald Trump looked at someone strange posts so feel free to add to the board.

What?  What does what you just wrote have to do with what I said about our President's response to the "concerns"?  Unless, you really don't have any concerns and have already made up your mind.  Do you now concede that you understand why cash was used and not a wire transfer?  Because by quoting me and then not responding to it, that is what I now assume.

First, the timing of it cannot be helped.  The USA and Iran are not BFFs.  So yes, this looks bad.  But it's not a ransom demand that was met.  It was their money that we have been holding since 1979.  Yes, I know, it looks bad.  But sometimes in situations like this when an opening in negotiations begins a whole bunch of stuff gets done in a short period of time.

Was the pay off a sweetener for all the other parts of the other deals?  Possibly.  But it was not a ransom that we caved to in order to get hostages freed.  

I mean, dude, you realize there have been other US citizens during the Obama administration that have been taken hostage...    Also, where are you getting this 1.7 Billion, it's been reported to be 400 Million.  Which could have been 10 Billion if we lost the tribunal, which because the money was Iran's, very well could have happened.  

Quote:I believe it has been pretty rational discussion. I know dems take their playbook straight from hillary, but there are questions unanswered. Wanting answers to questions when 1.7 Billion is sent over to Iran (out tax dollars) that just happens to coincide with released hostages and a flight that was never disclosed is not absurd. The Obama administration decided to keep this a secret. That's on them. But please, we need more Donald Trump looked at someone strange posts so feel free to add to the board.

Seems to me from reports the money isn't the taxpayers. Was in banks on freeze. Wonder what the banks did with that free money for 30 + years?

Quote:What? What does what you just wrote have to do with what I said about our President's response to the "concerns"? Unless, you really don't have any concerns and have already made up your mind. Do you now concede that you understand why cash was used and not a wire transfer? Because by quoting me and then not responding to it, that is what I now assume.

First, the timing of it cannot be helped. The USA and Iran are not BFFs. So yes, this looks bad. But it's not a ransom demand that was met. It was their money that we have been holding since 1979. Yes, I know, it looks bad. But sometimes in situations like this when an opening in negotiations begins a whole bunch of stuff gets done in a short period of time.

Was the pay off a sweetener for all the other parts of the other deals? Possibly. But it was not a ransom that we caved to in order to get hostages freed.

I mean, dude, you realize there have been other US citizens during the Obama administration that have been taken hostage... Also, where are you getting this 1.7 Billion, it's been reported to be 400 Million. Which could have been 10 Billion if we lost the tribunal, which because the money was Iran's, very well could have happened.

Conceded? Yes, if you read what I wrote that would be clear. That still leaves questions unanswered.

You state it as fact when we don't have answers. It doesn't just look bad, it smells funny. Very rarely are things just a coincidence. I think you would concede that. We still don't know why they kept it a secret. You typically keep things a secret for a reason and no reasons have been given.

1.3 Billion is interest. Have we not sent the 1.3 Billion in interest or is that coming later? Honestly I don't know which is why I'm asking. If 1.3 Billion has already been sent, we don't know how it was done. Based on what I've read they have refused to disclose how any of it was paid. We know how the $400 million was paid now, but that is only after journalist investigation was done.

Question for you. Do we have the right to know those answers? If there is nothing to hide and nothing fishy then why did they not disclose how Iran was paid or the secret mission? I think those are legitimate questions.

Quote:Seems to me from reports the money isn't the taxpayers. Was in banks on freeze. Wonder what the banks did with that free money for 30 + years?

So where did the $400 million come from? I don't know the whole 79' deal.

1.3 Billion in interest is surely our money and tax payer dollars.