Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Qb brandon allen?

Quote:Why waste a pick on a camp arm when you need a solid back-up

I don't think he was drafted to be a camp arm. He's a developmental guy who should be able to step into the Henne role probably next year.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Dude is 6'1". You have to be great to overcome that height at the QB position. Henne's job isn't in jeopardy. Clearly a camp arm.

You don't use a draft pick for a camp arm.  You can get that undrafted.

Quote:<div>
I don't think he was drafted to be a camp arm. He's a developmental guy who should be able to step into the Henne role probably next year.

</div>

Yes, there is really no other way to read that.  He may not develop into that, but the Jags obviously think he can / will.

A project. It is a luxury when team has franchise QB. The problem is if he turned out to be good, the Jags will have to use a roster spot for him. It is a good problem to have though.

Quote:I'm an Arkansas fan. BA went through a lot in his college career. He wasn't very good in 2013, got better in 2014, then was one of the better QBs in college football last year. Early in his career he had his truck burned by fans and went through 4 different OCs in 5 years. I think he's better than some of the QBs taken ahead of him, played in a pro-style offense in the SEC, but his size and tiny hands hurt him. Daniel Jeremiah really likes him though, gave him a 3rd round grade. Overall I think he can develop into a solid backup that can fill in for an injured starter and for a 6th round pick that isn't bad. He has above average arm strength but it won't blow you away. Can make plays with his feet and is pretty accurate in the short passing game. Also you don't have to worry about him having a drug problem :whistling:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbFfXifWWXI

As a long time member of this Forum,  one thing that stands out is the popularity comparison of Matt Jones vs. Brandon Allen by Arkansas fans.  When Matt Jones was drafted by the Jaguars,  multitudes of Razorback Fans came to the Jaguars Forum and followed Matt Jones'  NFL career with the Jaguars with a fine tooth comb.  This is an understatement !

On the other hand,  a large number of Arkansas fans couldn't stand Brandon Allen as a QB.   To the point that some burned his truck as you described.   The good news for the Jaguars is Allen went in the 6th Round,  not the 1st Round and will be playing the position he played in college.   Expectations for Allen are going to be much more realistic,  which can only help him.   Especially,  after what he went through in college in his home state. 

Quote: On the other hand, a large number of Arkansas fans couldn't stand Brandon Allen as a QB. To the point that some burned his truck as you described. The good news for the Jaguars is Allen went in the 6th Round, not the 1st Round and will be playing the position he played in college. Expectations for Allen are going to be much more realistic, which can only help him. Especially, after what he went through in college in his home state.

A lot of that stems from his first year when he played with a separated shoulder all year and was pretty terrible. There wasn't much talent on the roster and it was a transition with the new coach coming in. His first ever start was on the road against #1 Alabama and he took a beating. But he got better in 2014 and last year with more talent around him he was great. Pretty much the anti-Hackenberg.

The problem was as good as our offense was in a lot of games the secondary was just as bad and so he got blamed for losing games 53-52 for not being "clutch" even after throwing for 400 yards. It is what it is. Our fanbase can be brutal but Matt Jones was known for being clutch and a 6'6 guy that can run a 4.3 will always be a fan favorite lol

If you read between the lines, he is Henne's replacement.  Things Caldwell said:  They are open to keeping 3 qbs this year.  Allen has a high football iq.  He can learn the offense without getting a lot of reps.  Has the tools to be competitive.

Quote:QB, Arkansas

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/b...id=2555365

A three-year starter for the Razorbacks, Allen really came on in the second half of his senior year to open the eyes of scouts. In fact, the Fayetteville native, son of the school's director of high school and NFL relations, and one-time Arkansas High School Player of the Year improved each year. He completed less than 50 percent of his passes for 1,552 yards and 13 touchdowns as a sophomore, hit 56 percent of his passes for 2,285 yards and 20 scores in 2014, and then connected on 66 percent of throws in 2015 for 3,340 yards and 30 touchdowns (against just eight interceptions). This improvement isn't lost on the eyes of NFL teams.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Showed substantial growth as field leader and play­maker. Comfortable under center and is effective on bootlegs and rollouts. Completion percentage jumped from 56 percent in 2014 to 66 percent this year. Outstanding 64 percent rate on intermediate throws. Good catch­-and­-run ball placement on crossing routes. Sneaky arm talent. Able to pump fake, re­set and throw with accuracy. Swift setup in the pocket with a prompt release. Gets ball out in rhythm in rollouts. Rotates hips through throws for quality velocity. Arm to make NFL throws and has drive velocity and accuracy to challenge tight windows in middle of the field. Able to extend plays outside the pocket and find a throw or scramble for first downs. Doubled completions of 20-plus yards from 24 (2014) to 48 this year.

WEAKNESSES Smallish frame takes hard hits when he runs. Benefited from play-­action based passing attack. Just over 40 percent of his dropbacks were out of play­-action. Rarely looks to take deep shots down the sideline against man coverage. Not asked to get through very many progressions and brings safeties to his throws by staring down his targets. Could make life easier by moving safeties around with his eyes. When pocket heats up, he will drop eyes and look to bolt.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 5

NFL COMPARISON Case Keenum

BOTTOM LINE Allen was an afterthought headed into this season but garnered draft attention with high­-end production and a substantial spike in his play. On one hand, he is smaller than teams usually like and operated out of a play-­action offense that didnt ask him to get through many progressions. On the other hand, Allen has a quick release, an NFL arm, solid accuracy and good mobility. Allen needs to find the right home and eliminate his tendency to stare down targets, but he has enough talent to become an NFL backup.
soooooooooooo pig, soooooooyyyyyy....oh wait. uh I don't know what to yell for the Jags!?

Quote:soooooooooooo pig, soooooooyyyyyy....oh wait. uh I don't know what to yell for the Jags!?
oh whatever.... just don't be like that other razorback quarterback we once had and stay away from drugs!

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 02:52 PM by JagFanFirst.)

He played well against tough SEC competition. I am rooting for this guy. He probably should have been taken higher than he was.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 02:59 PM by Inziladun.)

You guys are tough on Henne. He's a great backup, supportive to the starter, good friends with the starter and a mentor who has lots of experience. He's great for Bortles right now, and I wouldn't expect to see him gone until Bortles starts really taking off and at that point he may even retire if there's some young buck who seems a promising prospect(Who might be Allen). I'd keep him around another two years probably. Then cut him when you start getting short on cap space.

Quote:I'm sure he will go to the PS and eventually compete for a back-up role. We really are at the point where we are getting a head start on undrafted free agency.

This has nothing to do with UFA.  Caldwell has the roster where he's building for the future versus just trying to plug holes.  They will develop this guy into Henne's replacement for 2017.

Quote:You said I had a juvenile mind. Was there any reason for that? I was simply expressing my opinion.

You showed alot more maturity with your "juvenile mind" than Grampa Simpson did in his personal attack on you.  That poster has become the one of the curmudgeons of the jungle lately.  Hopefully he get's his daily dose of bran in the coming weeks.  When he's regular, he's usually a pretty decent fellow.   

He sets his feet a lot like Bortles did in his first year here.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2016, 07:31 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Why do people think Caldwell wasted a sixth round pick on a "camp arm" knowing he has a big hole on the offensive line? I doubt he went into the draft thinking Chad Henne should compete with a rookie for his job.

Quote:Not a camp arm, he's the future backup QB. Henne is 31 soon and Dave wants a young roster.
I agree he looked pretty good in the cutup games I watched of him. I think he was picked to be backup after Henne leaves.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Quote:I agree he looked pretty good in the cutup games I watched of him. I think he was picked to be backup after Henne leaves.

That is pretty obvious. He needs time to learn on the job before Gus names him Blake's primary backup.

Quote:Interesting pick

Grandpa Chad Henne isn't getting any younger, and Gus likes taking chances on guys that he coached during Senior Bowl that proved something to him.

I figure at worst he's a practice squad guy to at best being Blake Bortles backup or trade bait (if he really looks great in Preseason two years in a row).

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2016, 01:56 AM by jayy.)

i question the jets and pats for picking qbs early, but the jags not so much.  Even the raiders drafted a QB in the 4th round and we are in similar situation.

Quote:i question the Jets and Pats for picking QBs early, but the Jags not so much.  

The Jets needed a QB. Geno Smith sucks. New England does not have many holes and drafts a QB every year.

The Jaguars meanwhile had bigger needs to take care of and knew they could wait until Round 6 to get a backup QB.

Quote:i question the jets and pats for picking qbs early, but the jags not so much.  Even the raiders drafted a QB in the 4th round and we are in similar situation.

A lot of NFL team have 3 qbs on the roster, One is usually a proven veteran stop gap backup QB, and the third is always a potential talented QB that simply needs time learning things...

I am not really shocked by the choice a few teams had liked him, and the Jaguars got to coach him in the Senior Bowl.