Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do we let Bryan Walters walk?

Quote:Spotrac and OverTheCap have him listed as signed through 2016.

His original 2015 FA contract was for 2 years, which Spotrac also lists as a previous contract, so I'd assume they would try to get him for roughly the same contract when they re-signed him in-season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-...n-walters/

Cool. That's what I thought until recently.  

Glad he'll be in camp to compete. Could be an interesting battle for that fifth spot. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hmmm...

It appears he is signed. I wish they would report extensions when they occur.

'02

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2016, 05:11 AM by Ordar.)

I'm glad he's back, I really like him. He's on the whole very reliable, and a good target for Blake especially on third down. We do have a crowded WR room though. There will be a battle for that 5th receiver spot. (A-Rob, Hurns, Lee, Greene are set)

The comparisons with Welker are pretty spot on, you could easily see him going to NE and Brady loving him. Nothing flashy, just tough and reliable.

Quote:I'm glad he's back, I really like him. He's on the whole very reliable, and a good target for Blake especially on third down. We do have a crowded WR room though. There will be a battle for that 5th receiver spot. (A-Rob, Hurns, Lee, Greene are set)

The comparisons with Welker are pretty spot on, you could easily see him going to NE and Brady loving him. Nothing flashy, just tough and reliable.
Welker does a lot more after the catch and is quite a bit more fluid in and out of breaks, IMO.

It's good to know he is on board for one more season. He is a proven commodity for his role. That role may be reduced next year, and the possibility may exist for Caldwell to trade him and get a decent draft pick in return.

Either way, it's a win for the Jags.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Since he's under contract through the 2016 season, I think we should use him as trade bait.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I'm glad he's back, I really like him. He's on the whole very reliable, and a good target for Blake especially on third down. We do have a crowded WR room though. There will be a battle for that 5th receiver spot. (A-Rob, Hurns, Lee, Greene are set)

You bet I'm good with keeping him.

The longer this WR corps plays together the better they will become.

You can count on somebody getting hurt next season....the room may be crowded now.....but it will seem thin with one or two hurt.

Besides.... he can catch Baby.  :thumbsup:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

He catches almost everything thrown his way, is astute at getting open for the QB, doesn't stop trying to get open.... Prototypical slot receiver.   

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Quote:Since he's under contract through the 2016 season, I think we should use him as trade bait.

We might be able to garner a 6th round pick for him.

'02

Quote:Since he's under contract through the 2016 season, I think we should use him as trade bait.

Good point. I think Lee and Greene will be trade bait down the line. With the merge nice of Robinson and Hurns, we have this type of flexibility.

I'm not saying let's go trade away all of our WRs but if Greene keeps making big plays and Lee comes on strong then those guys could bring us more picks.

Walters is a solid possession receiver and an ok returner

He will compete for the 5th wr spot but I think he ends up a late camp cut for someone younger with more potential

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016, 10:19 AM by Predator.)

Quote:As a free agent why should he sign here just for a shot to prove himself for a roster spot when he could likely go somewhere else with a guaranteed slot receiver role?
LOL! A guy who has 41 catches for 452 yards in 4 seasons isn't guaranteed a roster spot somewhere much less a slot receiver role.

So how many pages did it take in this thread for the obligatory Wes Welker reference? Two? Three maybe?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:So how many pages did it take in this thread for the obligatory Wes Welker reference? Two? Three maybe?

Wes was hinted at about halfway down page two.

'02

Quote:He catches almost everything thrown his way, is astute at getting open for the QB, doesn't stop trying to get open.... Prototypical slot receiver.   

I'll give you this, but I still like Greene even more for the slot role as he's got some game after the catch as well.

Since it appears he's sticking around, I'll have to re-do my WR ranking...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">#1 WR (x) - Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee, Arrelious Benn

<p style="margin-left:40px;">#2 WR (z) - Allen Hurns, Rashad Greene, Neal Sterling

<p style="margin-left:40px;">slot (and PR): Rashad Greene, Bryan Walters

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Others: Tony Washington, Rashad Lawrence, Shaq Evans, Damian Copeland and Rasheed Bailey

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

I doubt they keep seven WRs, but chances are somebody ends up on IR before the season starts.

'02

I forgot we even had Arrelious Benn.. wasn't he the best WR in training camp (next to ARob).... until his injury? 

Northwest Jaguars fan from 95 til' !

Quote:I forgot we even had Arrelious Benn.. wasn't he the best WR in training camp (next to ARob).... until his injury? 
Don't know about "best besides A-Rob" but he had a very good camp before injury.

Quote:I forgot we even had Arrelious Benn.. wasn't he the best WR in training camp (next to ARob).... until his injury? 

He was perhaps the most exciting with his deep speed, concentration and hands. 

Interestingly, Caldwell talked about ARob, Hurns and Marqise being on the field at the same time with Hurns playing the slot. Now Marqise I'm thinking is more of a natural split-end with his own on-the-field speed and might better fit at the x. I mention this because you'd think ARob would remain the split end with Marqise simply taking over for Hurns, but I suspect that ARob might move to flanker in these situations so Marqise can play out wide.

The same would hold true, and even more so, with Benn where we might see...

split-end: Benn

flanker: ARob

slot: Hurns

'02