Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I got a job, but I'm worried...

I apologize for making a bit of fun of your situation, Jags02.

I do however believe it would benefit you to be upfront with your supervisor about your concerns. If they aren't in critical need of you putting in twelve hour shifts immediately, maybe they will let you build up to the longer hours gradually.  Another possible way to increase stamina, and lose some of the weight you gained while being unemployed is to do workouts in a pool. It should be less stressful on your back, and hopefully allow you to exercise for longer periods of time.

Quote:Look what the cat dragged in!!

Just stopped by to see you. Smile

I wonder where that phrase originated. A previous neighbor of mine had a cat that left it's kill at my front door. Headless most of the time. Was it showing off, or warning me? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I apologize for making a bit of fun of your situation, Jags02.

I do however believe it would benefit you to be upfront with your supervisor about your concerns. If they aren't in critical need of you putting in twelve hour shifts immediately, maybe they will let you build up to the longer hours gradually.  Another possible way to increase stamina, and lose some of the weight you gained while being unemployed is to do workouts in a pool. It should be less stressful on your back, and hopefully allow you to exercise for longer periods of time.

Just stopped by to see you. Smile

I wonder where that phrase originated. A previous neighbor of mine had a cat that left it's kill at my front door. Headless most of the time. Was it showing off, or warning me?

Great advice for 02.

About the cat...I guess it depends on how you treated it! Lol
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:About the cat...I guess it depends on how you treated it! Lol

I ate it.

Quote:I ate it.

Taste like chicken?

I just completed a six-hour orientation and training, and now I'm set to start the 12 hour shifts Friday night.

Now my concerns are multiplied.... For one, while I have started doing 15 minute sessions on the treadmill along with some DDP Yoga to help stretch my back, I'm suddenly going to have to be on my feet for 12 hours aside from 10 minute breaks every couple hours. To top it off, I have to consider how what I'm going to do in regards to the Playoffs this weekend.

The hours are weird because they switch off what days I'm working each week. I'll actually be fine for the Championship games and Super Bowl, but this weekend I work from 7pm to 7am PST on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The games this Sunday are from 1:30pm to 8:30pm, so after I get home Friday night I'll have to get to bed ASAP in order to wake up and catch the first game (Chiefs at Patriots). During the 2nd game (Packers at Cards) I'll have to spend some time getting ready and then will have to leave before it's over.  On Sunday it's even tougher as the games are on from 10:00am to 5pm. I might have to miiss most of the first game (Seahawks at Panthers), and then can catch the 2nd (Steelers at Broncos).

'02

Quote:I just completed a six-hour orientation and training, and now I'm set to start the 12 hour shifts Friday night.

Now my concerns are multiplied.... For one, while I have started doing 15 minute sessions on the treadmill along with some DDP Yoga to help stretch my back, I'm suddenly going to have to be on my feet for 12 hours aside from 10 minute breaks every couple hours. To top it off, I have to consider how what I'm going to do in regards to the Playoffs this weekend.

The hours are weird because they switch off what days I'm working each week. I'll actually be fine for the Championship games and Super Bowl, but this weekend I work from 7pm to 7am PST on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The games this Sunday are from 1:30pm to 8:30pm, so after I get home Friday night I'll have to get to bed ASAP in order to wake up and catch the first game (Chiefs at Patriots). During the 2nd game (Packers at Cards) I'll have to spend some time getting ready and then will have to leave before it's over.  On Sunday it's even tougher as the games are on from 10:00am to 5pm. I might have to miiss most of the first game (Seahawks at Panthers), and then can catch the 2nd (Steelers at Broncos).

Having a job >>>>>>>>>>>>>watching some football. Just sayin.

Quote:Having a job >>>>>>>>>>>>>watching some football. Just sayin.

But it's the Playoffs.

'02

Quote:But it's the Playoffs.

Kids these days. Wink

Quote:But it's the Playoffs.

Brah, you were in the Service. I don't know for certain here, but I'm betting that there isn't a holiday, personal or popular, that you didn't work. I know because I've checked all of them off of my list. It's a sacrifice you make in order to provide for your family; you know, "adulting". It's gonna suck at first, but train your mind to find something about it that you love. Maybe the fact that you now have a paycheck, or that you aren't bored, or that you are finally getting out of the house.

You'll make it.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Brah, you were in the Service. I don't know for certain here, but I'm betting that there isn't a holiday, personal or popular, that you didn't work. I know because I've checked all of them off of my list. It's a sacrifice you make in order to provide for your family; you know, "adulting". It's gonna suck at first, but train your mind to find something about it that you love. Maybe the fact that you now have a paycheck, or that you aren't bored, or that you are finally getting out of the house.

You'll make it.

This sounds like no fun at all.

So, I get a call today from a rather large company. The job I'm about to start for pays me like $15 as a production operator on my feet all day, but this new job possibility is for a machinist position, which is what I've done for the last 20 years, and is doing a bit of programming, which is what I love doing, and I'd get to sit at least a little while taking home $22 an hour. I'm set to start Friday slicing up or flat grinding silicon wafers, but I should I entertain this new offer? It is a bit further (50 min instead of 30 min commute) and would let me out in bad traffic trying to get home, but there would be no traffic going to work.

'02

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016, 10:50 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:So, I get a call today from a rather large company. The job I'm about to start for pays me like $15 as a production operator on my feet all day, but this new job possibility is for a machinist position, which is what I've done for the last 20 years, and is doing a bit of programming, which is what I love doing, and I'd get to sit at least a little while taking home $22 an hour. I'm set to start Friday slicing up or flat grinding silicon wafers, but I should I entertain this new offer? It is a bit further (50 min instead of 30 min commute) and would let me out in bad traffic trying to get home, but there would be no traffic going to work.
$15 vs $22. Hmmmm... that's a difference of 12k more a year.

Not a hard decision my friend, especially since its something you've done before and you don't have to stand all the time.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

You're screwed.

Quote:So, I get a call today from a rather large company. The job I'm about to start for pays me like $15 as a production operator on my feet all day, but this new job possibility is for a machinist position, which is what I've done for the last 20 years, and is doing a bit of programming, which is what I love doing, and I'd get to sit at least a little while taking home $22 an hour. I'm set to start Friday slicing up or flat grinding silicon wafers, but I should I entertain this new offer? It is a bit further (50 min instead of 30 min commute) and would let me out in bad traffic trying to get home, but there would be no traffic going to work.

Take the job you just got called for, its a no brainer

Choose the one that will make you happier, regardless of the pay.

Sounds like the latter.

But don't quit working out/exercising no matter what.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Is this an actual job offer, or a kinda, maybe...something might open up, sorta kind of "job offer"? Because if it's not a real job offer, you might be screwing yourself out of a job that you know you already have.

It's sounds like you're looking for someone or something to talk you out of your new job.

Quote:Is this an actual job offer, or a kinda, maybe...something might open up, sorta kind of "job offer"? Because if it's not a real job offer, you might be screwing yourself out of a job that you know you already have.

The offer is not official yet, and I'm certainly not about to stop working until it is. But at some point they may make it official, and then I'll have a read decision to make. My unemployment has run out, so I can't risk a situation where I have neither job. That part I got.

'02

I think you've gotten a bit used to not working......Take whatever you can get for now, your body will adjust. If the other job comes along, take it. It's what your skilled in and pays better. It's slightly farther, but not major, so that's a wash. 

I would recommend taking the job you've already accepted. You gave your word to that man who hired you and spent time training you, honor it. It's the only thing in life which can't be taken from you, your integrity.

If, down the road, the job is not for you then tell the boss that you appreciate his commitment to you and you honored it despite the offer of a higher paying position. To show your appreciation you will stay on until he can find your replacement but you will be seeking another position.

Regards.................the Chiefjag