Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaches on the hot seat

Quote:I am not worried about any "all start" assistant coaches getting other jobs before they have been together for a full season.

BTW did you ever think having great assistants is part of being a good head coach? One reason I like Gus Bradley is he hired Greg Olson.

You should be very worried that Marrone and Hackett will be gone next year and that Sullivan will retire. I like Olsen, but he's not the sole reason this offense is better. You should be more worried that the defensive staff isn't going to get better since the Head Coach is the driver of this defense. This isn't Babich's defense and the philosophy won't change if he leaves, it'll just continue under the new guy with similar results. The Seattle defense has been figured out and unless you have the great personnel that the Seahags do then it doesn't work. This team isn't going to have that kind of talent any time soon.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

IMHO, the prospect of Jerry Sullivan retiring should be one of our biggest fears.

Quote:IMHO, the prospect of Jerry Sullivan retiring should be one of our biggest fears.

I'd hope he's having enough fun and success with our young guys that he'd want to stay, but you never know when the desire to finish the bucket list starts.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:IMHO, the prospect of Jerry Sullivan retiring should be one of our biggest fears.

Why should anyone be afraid of that happening when our offense is just beginning to explode? He obviously is having fun in Jacksonville.

We should save this topic for another thread because it has nothing to do with coaches at high risk of getting fired next month.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 07:16 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Here is something interesting Ron Rivera said about coaching being on the hot seat:

Quote:"This is the fortunes of the game. He's got a young football team, he's had to endure a lot of injuries, and a lot of the things that the Giants are going through mirrored us last year," Rivera said of the Giants and coach Tom Coughlin. "It's the same thing with theColts. What the Colts are going through mirrored us last year with the injuries, with the quarterback injuries. I think people have to really take a step back and take a deep breath. This is a cycle, it goes up and down. Shoot, about every three or four years, Coach Coughlin wins a Super Bowl. Well, that's pretty good. The hot seat thing kind of bothers me because it's unfair because some people don't look at the whole picture, or look at everything that coaches go through. If I had gotten let go last year in the middle of the year because I was on the hot seat, we may have never gotten where we are today. I just think sometimes people have to take a deep breath, think about the big picture, and then make decisions."

He has some good points, but you can't deny sometimes a change at HC is necessary. That was certainly the case in Miami this season.

Quote:Why should anyone be afraid of that happening when our offense is just beginning to explode? He obviously is having fun in Jacksonville.

We should save this topic for another thread because it has nothing to do with coaches at high risk of getting fired next month.

Because he's old.

Quote:Here is something interesting Ron Rivera said about coaching being on the hot seat:

He has some good points, but you can't deny sometimes a change at HC is necessary. That was certainly the case in Miami this season.

It's the case in Jacksonville too.

Quote:Because he's old.

What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:What does that have to do with anything?

Old people tend to retire from their jobs, especially when they've already come out of retirement once. Jerry Sullivan has been coaching for 5 decades now and he's 71 years old, no one should be surprised if he leaves for good.

Quote:Old people tend to retire from their jobs, especially when they've already come out of retirement once. Jerry Sullivan has been coaching for 5 decades now and he's 71 years old, no one should be surprised if he leaves for good.

Old COACHES tend to NOT retire from their jobs.

Also, this thread is only about coaches at risk of getting fired. You are getting completely off the subject here.

Quote:Why should anyone be afraid of that happening when our offense is just beginning to explode? He obviously is having fun in Jacksonville.

He's a big reason our offense is exploding. You do understand the significant contribution he makes to our receiver corp don't you?

Quote:He's a big reason our offense is exploding. You do understand the significant contribution he makes to our receiver corps don't you?

I just took FSG to Iggy Land. He obviously just likes to argue with me. Any Jaguars fan with a brain knows this about Jerry Sullivan.

Now about those coaches on the hot seat . . .

Quote:I just took FSG to Iggy Land. He obviously just likes to argue with me. Any Jaguars fan with a brain knows this about Jerry Sullivan.

Now about those coaches on the hot seat . . .

What in the blue hell is Iggy Land?

What do you think of this idea:

Miami interviews a black coach to comply with the Rooney Rule, then decides to keep Dan Campbell because he has done a great job fixing the team culture and environment Players are responding well to him and publicly showing respect. Whatever Campbell is doing, it seems to be working. So I have been thinking there is a good chance the Dolphins will remove "interim" from his job title after interviewing with a minority candidate and one other white coach. However nobody has suggested this could happen in Miami, so I probably don't have a popular opinion here.

I wish the league wouldget rid of the Rooney Rule and that's all I have to say about that.

Quote:Old COACHES tend to NOT retire from their jobs.

Really. How many 80 year old nfl coaches have there been?

Quote:The headquarters building's front door.
The entire team goes through the front door after cleaning out their lockers for the offseason. Coaches go in and out of the door every day. You'll have to be more specific.

He's 70+. He's been coaching for decades. At some point, the desire to kick back in a rocking chair and watch the sunset will kick in.

Quote:Old COACHES tend to NOT retire from their jobs.
So they just, what, coach until they collapse on the practice field?

Quote:I wish the league would get rid of the Rooney Rule and that's all I have to say about that.

I wish they did not even talk about it at the owners meetings.

Quote:I wish they did not even talk about it at the owners meetings.

It's a "rule" I don't think is necessary in this day and age.  I don't agree with it ever being a rule.  As an NFL owner you should be able to hire whoever the hell you want and you should be able to interview whoever the hell you want.