Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
"To be honest with you, we tried everything"

Quote:There you have it Jags fans.  Bradley has finally cracked, and now he does not know what to do.  If I were Khan, I could not have my coach not know what to do about his team.  He should be removed immediately because if Gus feels this way, so do the players.  It will turn into a cancer.  I thought it was bad, but that quote makes it quite obvious we need a new coach next year.
But I like Mrs. Bradleys cooking show during the preseason pre games.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Taking a deep breath, putting aside my immediate frustration and trying to be analytical, we are not really that far away from having a winning record this year.   If we had a decent kicker, and if we could get some pressure on the passer, we could easily be winning the division.  

I think the defense can be fixed in one offseason if we are lucky.   What we need is for Fowler to pan out, for Marks to get healthy and stay healthy, and for us to draft a great defensive player.   I would love to get that defensive tackle from Ole Miss.  

Yeah no, we're still far away. This year we have been so fortunate with our schedule. This is easily the easiest schedule I have ever seen the Jags face as far as opponent.

The defense *can* be fixed in one offseason, but like you said we need to be lucky. Fowler needs to come back healthy. Marks too.

Here's another thing that people forget, unless your defensive line guy (either end or DT) is really special...they usually struggle their rookie years. Even the best like Watt and JPP didn't have dominant rookie years. To expect what is essentially a rookie Fowler and whoever we draft in the top 10 to suddenly change this team in their 1st year?

That's a tough thing to ask.

By their 2nd year? Probably. 

Quote:This is an ignorant statement...

I genuinely don't understand the Gus defenders.

He is a historically bad coach. Every single person here will admit he's a nice guy. But he is a terrible NFL HC.

What facts do you offer to back up your suport for Gus?
I'm not defending Gus.

If you watched the game, you'd have seen that we used multiple coverages and rush schemes that all feel flat.

If you wanna blame the coach, go ahead.

I choose to assign responsibility to performers, that's all...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 10:12 AM by GreeceMonkE.)

Quote:So you're argument is that Gus was the best we could get...so stay with him?

Look who's making the ignorant statement now...

That's not what I said at all. You brought up Belichick, a coach we never and will never have access to for the foreseeable future...

So no I don't want to stick with him just for the sake of keeping him. I saw this team winning a least 5-6 games this year. So if that happens I would like to see him stick around for another year mainly because of how our offense is doing and the team still plays hard for him. They do their best to compete, we just don't have the talent on defense to be consistent. One thing that stands out to me on defense is that our guys a lot of time seem to be in position to make plays, they just don't have the ability to do so consistently.

If ownership fires him after this season, you wouldn't hear any qualms from me. I trust the direction the team is in, whether or not that includes Gus is up to them.

Its a tough one.

I'm not Gus's biggest fan but the facts are we would be a playoff team with an average defense.

Personally there are a good few things to like about Gus as head coach.

1) Player development.

People forget this is still the second youngest team in the NFL. I think the progress from most of the young players is a very positive sign of Gus's influence.

2) The Offense.

Strange that we're in a situation where we have probably the best young WR group with an already established #1 and #2 receivers who are under the age of 24 along with Greene, Lee, Walters. Bortles is balling.

Yeldon getting better by the week. Gus deserves credit for the offense.

As I said I hate the defensive scheme but I think if Babich is fired,a few more pieces are drafted/signed in free agency then we have a chance at having an average defense. Couple that with our weak division I can see why Gus will be retained for next year.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 10:38 AM by badger.)

We had to rely on Cyprien to cover Walker.... obviously it was a huge mismatch

Keep in mind we drafted this guy in the 2nd round.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 10:53 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:We had to rely on Cyprien to cover Walker.... obviously it was a huge mismatch

Keep in mind we drafted this guy in the 2nd round.

Or Poz covering Walker.   That was a huge mismatch, too.   There was one play where we were lined up in a defensive formation that made it very obvious the only guy who could possibly cover the TE was Poz, and he was lined up at MLB.    So the TE took about 5 steps upfield, turned to the outside, and there was no way Poz could get there in time.  Basically, the TE was wide open when they lined up pre-snap!   And this is the Titans, not the Patriots.   It seems like such a simple thing, we weren't even lined up in a defense that could offer any coverage on the TE at all.  

Another thing that kills me is when we play zone, we basically go to our zones and stand there, seemingly with no regard for where the receivers are settling.   The replay shows everyone just standing there, DBs, receivers, everyone.   You'd think the DBs would just edge a little towards where the receivers are standing, because if even if the QB throws a wounded duck, there's no way the DB can get over there in time.   The receivers just settle into an open zone, turn around, signal the QB "throw it here" and wait for the ball.  What kind of coverage is that?  

Quote:It is possible, and it has been done. By the Jaguars in fact...

Hardy...Brackens....Beasley.

Get another draft like that and this defense evolves from bad to average
Outstanding point.

One difference is that the Jaguars were picking 2nd in the draft order out of 30 teams.  This squad will likely pick below that one, with two more teams to contend with.

But adding one player to each level of the defense is possible.  But I think doing it the way I am thinking, we'll need more, unless these three additions are HOF type players.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 10:53 AM by MalabarJag.)

Quote:LOL. So I call you out on your "Hate" and you bring up Belichick. I don't agree 100% but let's say for arguments sake that you are right and Belichick probably would have this team at 7-5 or 8-4. But guess what you talking about a once in a generation coach...

AND THERE IS NO WAY HE IS COMING TO OUR TEAM.

So again, how would any coach we would have had access to done much better than we are doing now?

This year it looks to be Payton and Pagano. There are also former winning coaches like Cowher and Gruden still out there. Every year since 2012 there have been coaches with winning NFL records available. Such coache
ss who would have been a major improvement over Bradley include Arians Fox and Harbaugh

Belichick is not available. Jon Gruden would be my top choice. I'd think someone like Gruden would jump at the chance to coach a team with Bortles and ARob, especially if the Jags threw a lot of money his way. Considering top CBs are getting upwards of $10M per year and the coaching salaries do not affect the cap, there's no reason not to toss a lot of money for a top-line coach. [BAD WORD REMOVED] Vermeil proved that a good coach can still succeed after being out of coaching for a long time, and Chucky has kept up with the NFL in his job with ESPN.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:This year it looks to be Payton and Pagano. There are also former winning coaches like Cowher and Gruden still out there. Every year since 2012 there have been coaches with winning NFL records available. Such coache
ss who would have been a major improvement over Bradley include 

Belichick is not available. Jon Gruden would be my top choice. I'd think someone like Gruden would jump at the chance to coach a team with Bortles and ARob, especially if the Jags threw a lot of money his way. Considering top CBs are getting upwards of $10M per year and the coaching salaries do not affect the cap, there's no reason not to toss a lot of money for a top-line coach. [BAD WORD REMOVED] Vermeil proved that a good coach can still succeed after being out of coaching for a long time, and Chucky has kept up with the NFL in his job with ESPN.
My favorites would be:

1.  Payton

2.  Marrone

Gruden would be, at best, my third choice.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think DC is very smart for starting with the offense.

1. NFL Rules favor offense

2. Offense gets fans excited

3. Offense can keep pressure off your defense by jumping on the other team - parity in the NFL means most of your opponents can't keep up with a good offense.  (see Patriots for years)

Sure it is time to put some attention to defense but I'm not sure that will be enough to prop up the head coach.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2015, 10:58 AM by badger.)

Quote:I think DC is very smart for starting with the offense.

1. NFL Rules favor offense

2. Offense gets fans excited

3. Offense can keep pressure off your defense by jumping on the other team - parity in the NFL means most of your opponents can't keep up with a good offense.  (see Patriots for years)

Sure it is time to put some attention to defense but I'm not sure that will be enough to prop up the head coach.

We drafted Cyprien in the 2nd round. He's not a good pick there. We now have to fill that need again.  So we have paid attention to the defense, just not well.

Dwayne Gratz, 3rd rounder... not the best draft pick there either.

Quote:The bigger picture is....

They knew Fowler was going on the IR and they had some talent issues on defense. And the adjustments to scheme are what exactly? The coaches tried everything in their bad scheme that doesn't work and has never worked in Jacksonville. I'm so sick of reading and hearing the stupid Seattle South stuff. That defense isn't going to work here because we are years behind on quality drafts to even think about running it.

Good coaching recognizes in training camp into the preseason and makes scheme adjustments because once you are three quarters through the season you can't change your play book or make any overhaul. Does anyone actually think the lose of one rookie pass rusher and a very good defensive tackle is all we needed to run this scheme with success?

Ugh Simple Gus indeed. Nice guy but not a long term winning head coach. Basically his process is to wait until he is handed enough talent that there is no way his poor decision making and inability to adjust is counterbalanced by a can't lose talented team. Yeah in the salary cap era of modern football that is what year four with him will mean. Yuck!!!!!

They blitzed. Mariota ran for a 85 yard TD. Go figure.

Quote:They blitzed. Mariota ran for a 85 yard TD. Go figure.

One missed tackle on that play as well.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:What do you want we don't have the talent on defense to compete right now. I think people have to accept regardless of who the coach is we are outmatched defensively right now. The corners can't be trusted to cover in man, we don't have anyone on the line that can create pressure, our safeties suck, its not matchups its a serious lack of talent.

It was the Titans, not Patriots
Blakes Life Matters

Manning beat this team down for 10+ years.... I don't want 10+ years of Mariota and Luck beating us down too.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

It seems some people here don't want to put any blame on Gus.

Some want to blame him for everything.

If it's just the players, then what job does a coach actually have? Oh that's right, game plan and put his players in the best place to succeed. Olsen basically takes care of the offense and look at that, killing it.

Gus and Babich take care of the defense and look at that, getting killed.

Some on here really want to give Gus another year? Based on what? He literally has done nothing as a coach. 11 wins... What an absolute joke. 11 wins in 3 years is the absolute best record we could have with the talent on this team. No way that's true.

Gus seems like a good guy and the players are playing hard but let's be honest, it's not just about playing hard. You have to actually get the most out of your guys and I don't think he's doing that.

When you've got Andre Branch and Chris Clemons as your pass rush guys, you're in trouble. 

There were plays yesterday where all you'd see was Branch trailing plays by a good 5 yards.  Clemons would manage to get close enough to be in the camera shot on some plays.  Neither guy was a factor.  They're basically on the roster to help the Jags burn some of that cap space they have to unload.  They're pathetic.  

While coaching certainly deserves some of the blame here, it's still up to the players to make plays.  Defenders were taking horrific angles, not wrapping up tackles, and getting caught completely out of position way too much yesterday.  We got almost no QB pressure when it mattered.  I'm convinced a team could have 3rd and 99 and they'd be able to convert.  3rd and long is usually a time when defenses pin their ears back and go after the QB.  Not our guys.  They fall asleep after rolling out the red carpet.

The defense is a concern, but some of the issues should be resolved with injured players like Fowler and Marks returning next year.  Still, the team needs more talent on that line because our depth is not good enough right now.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I just wanted to say Spider 2 Y Banana

Saying " We tried everything" after giving up over 40 points to an offensive bottom feeder says it all.

Talent is one thing, but when you compare both games against these two teams, one can see coaching..whether head coach, def coordinator,etc is an issue.

There is hope for the team, but 4 wins so far? A shot at playoffs, especially after Clots and Texans lose and the NFLs easiest remaining schedule.. Something just ain't shaken out.
Blakes Life Matters