Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Do you approve of GM Dave Caldwell's performance?
Yes
No
Corn #3
[Show Results]

How would you rate GM Dave Caldwells performance so far?

A-

2014 draft is amazing

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Agreed, its still too early to tell but it could go down as the best draft year ever in Jaguars franchise history, especially if count undrafted Allen Hurns into it!

Quote:My only assertion is that he should have been able to make the same trade with Miami that Oakland made. What I see as Caldwell's biggest (maybe only) failing is his total passivity in any attempts to trade down. In both 2013 and 2015 the Jags would have been better off trading down. Maybe even in 2014 if Bortles would have fallen to 9th, and, if not, apparently Carr would have been a fine consolation prize. (OK, Caldwell's choice of head coach sucked too so ineptness in trading down isn't his only failing, but he's really good at picking players and reasonably good at free agency).

As far as Baltimore is concerned, I only used the Ravens because they were the team that traded for Monroe, and presumably therefore needed a LT. It didn't have to be Baltimore, I just used them as an example. Caldwell had the #2 pick in the draft as trade bait. Most GMs would be willing to trade a future 1st round pick plus some other picks for a high 1st round pick in the current draft. With the new CBA the salaries of top ten picks is no longer a concern like it used to be.
Got it.

Still have problems with your rationale on this point.  Just because the Ravens had an interest in Eugene Monroe doesn't mean they were willing to trade up to #2 overall to get him or Joeckel.  The top of that 2013 draft was bad, and did not command a lot in terms of demand for those top picks.  Miami moved up to three, but I think they paid less than optimal value to move up that high in that draft.  In another year with more talent at the top, more teams would have been willing to move up and would have paid more to do it.

Besides, if Caldwell was less than impressed with Monroe and was in a position to presumably draft his replacement, why would he get less value to trade down and miss out on him?  At least getting less than optimal value for trading away Monroe, you still have his replacement on the roster.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Yes. B. C.

Quote:Got it.

Still have problems with your rationale on this point.  Just because the Ravens had an interest in Eugene Monroe doesn't mean they were willing to trade up to #2 overall to get him or Joeckel.  The top of that 2013 draft was bad, and did not command a lot in terms of demand for those top picks.  Miami moved up to three, but I think they paid less than optimal value to move up that high in that draft.  In another year with more talent at the top, more teams would have been willing to move up and would have paid more to do it.

Besides, if Caldwell was less than impressed with Monroe and was in a position to presumably draft his replacement, why would he get less value to trade down and miss out on him?  At least getting less than optimal value for trading away Monroe, you still have his replacement on the roster.

First off, in my example it would not be trading up, it would be trading a future pick for this year's (2013) pick. Baltimore (or whoever) would get to keep their own 2013 1st round pick.

I agree that in a good draft the price for the #2 pick would be higher. But you can't claim it wouldn't have been a good deal just because the price didn't match what it could in an ideal year. Under the assumption that Monroe and Joeckel are roughly equal (at the time Monroe was coming off a solid season and Joeckel was expected to be a solid LT, since then neither has lived up to expectations), the Jags would have been better off taking the same deal Miami gave for the #3 pick. The Jags would have had Monroe instead of Joeckel (no difference) and two additional players taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Yet Caldwell didn't even try to find a trade partner.

Do you really think Caldwell was looking to replace Monroe after Monroe's fine 2012 season? It's a huge stretch to hypothesize that Caldwell foresaw the failure of Monroe to adapt to the zone blocking scheme. At the time there was no evidence that that would be the case since there was no record of Monroe in a zone blocking scheme.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Monroe, Brewster, Meester, Nwaneri, Whimper. The offensive line was a disaster when Caldwell was hired. Monroe was the only solid player on the OL. It will be much better next year with Linder back and Cann at LG. Joeckel and Parnell aren't Pro Bowlers, but they are better than what the Jags had in the entire JDR era. It's very possible the Jags sign Mack at center next year, and if not then Wiz is not a liability.

The defensive line is also better, the big problem there is with coaching. Trying to play the Seattle defense without a true LEO is idiotic. We still need a pass rusher; they don't grow on trees.

The CBs are fine (again, it's on the coaching staff that Gratz plays instead of McCray). The safeties leave a lot to be desired. I agree it was a mistake to let Lowery and Landry go.

He should have also kept Smith, Jennings, and Knighton. I'm willing to overlook some mistakes at the very beginning of his tenure, especially since he couldn't make changes to the scouting staff until after the 2013 draft. His 2014 draft was exceptional, the 2015 draft looks good, although the jury is still out on Fowler.
I agree with most of this. Smith was old and coming of an injury. Hindsight is 20/20 on that call.. .lowery/Knighton/Brandon Marshall and JT THomas were head scratchers .  This defense would most definitely be better with those players.

Quote:I agree with most of this. Smith was old and coming of an injury. Hindsight is 20/20 on that call.. .lowery/Knighton/Brandon Marshall and JT THomas were head scratchers .  This defense would most definitely be better with those players.
Marshall is better than who at LB for us?

Knighton isn't better than either of our DTs (when healthy)

Lowery? ehhh...

JT Thomas got paid... we weren't gonna pay him starter money to play back up.

And there is 0 telling if ANY of these players would have played like they did for other teams, while still here on this team.

I give Caldwell a B.  I think Caldwell should rightfully be dinged a bit for his early philosophy of wishing to blow up the entire team.  He himself admitted to this as a mistake, which I think is a very respectable thing to do.

With that said, it appears his weakest draft class will be the 2013 class, which still provided solid base hit players in a relatively weak draft.  His overall FA findings have also been pretty dog gone good as well.  

I mean, yes there are misses in there.  But that is expected from ALL General Managers.  I think he's a keeper.  

As for the Eugene Monroe discussion that we keep having:

[Image: you-amp-039-re-tearing-this-family-apart_fb_2784135.jpg]

Wait I have it figured out the Jaguars simply need to play only the 2nd QTR of every game where the team ranks 7th in the NFL with 8.7 points on average.

30th in the 1st qtr 2.9 points, 26th in the 3rd QTR with 3.3 and thanks to QB Blake Bortles come backs ranked 20th in the 4th QTR with 6.5.

--------------------------------------

The team is ranked 28th in rushing attempts with 23.2 despite being ranked 12th in Avg per rush attempt with 4.1 (mainly TJ Yeldon).

----------------------

Blake is still sacked at least 3.1 times on average (30th ranked Oline in QB Sacks), and ranked 12th in penatlies per game 6.7.

To my suprise Jaguars are ranked 17th in getting QB sacks with 2.3 on average (it counts in CB Colvins 4 sacks and blitzs) DLine still needs to improve though as the Jaguars are ranked 28th in allowing opposing QBs over a 100 rating

a lot of that is the DBs fault (sorry its just the truth).

------------------------

Jaguars are ranked 11th in Punt yardage returns thanks to R. Greene, the Punt Block was nice, Clemons FG block near the start of the season and others have the Jaguars slightly above average in STs (which is shocking).

So going into 2016 what would you want GM Dave Caldwell to do (address)?  Fire a coach or coaches, draft a particular position, free agent signing or trade of who for what?

This thread can be closed as it seems obivious that most fans approve of GM Dave Caldwell and hope for a few more years with him as the GM despite the horrible stats and record of HC Gus Bradley you can see the young players drafted have a lot of talent and are headed in the right direction.

Quote:This thread can be closed as it seems obivious that most fans approve of GM Dave Caldwell and hope for a few more years with him as the GM despite the horrible stats and record of HC Gus Bradley you can see the young players drafted have a lot of talent and are headed in the right direction.

Yeah. He's been above average and in the nfl. Above average in player personnel is good. I want to see him fix the D like he's done with the O.

The results seem fair...

Overall approval

Drafting = A-/B+

Personnel = B-/C+

'02

I'm giving Caldwell an A, given the fact of how much improvement we've seen since the Gene "Piece of Human Feces" Smith debacle of hell..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Yes, C D. He gets a yes overall only for the 2014 draft, if not for that draft and the Allens he would be Gene Smiff bad.  A lot like Indy, if Polian doesn't draft Manning his body of work isn't too great. His FA signings have been meh, below average to me. JT was supposed to be the home run and he has been what everyone outside of JAX expected. Injury prone and underperforming.

You're not the brightest bulb in the box, are you....

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

13 Draft is a D

14 Draft is an A

15 Draft is TBD without Fowler but ouside of him, C+

Not too enamored with his FA signings but admittedly, Marks was a quality signing. Hell I even like the Odrick signing.

The bottom line is that if he got us a potential franchise QB in Bortles, then he should be viewed favorably for now. Bortles was a ballsy choice in a draft class where there were other options.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2015, 09:38 PM by Sosa.)

I can't really judge this past draft class. I like to wait at least two seasons to let players develop, and Fowler didn't even get to play.

So far:

2013: F (Evans and Denard provide decent depth, but that's it.)

2014: A (Got a lot of out this class and they're only getting better. We might have three pro bowlers from it.)

2015: C (Cann is good, Yeldon and Greene are decent so far. If Fowler was playing and getting consistent pressure, i'd give it a B.)

Quote:2013: F (Evans and Denard provide decent depth, but that's it.)

Joekel isn't a total loss, and it's tough to fault Caldwell here knowing he was the consensus best player in the draft at the time and realizing that virtually every early first rounder in that draft was a bust. As for Cyp, the jury is still out. He's had his struggles developing and then hurt his arm going into this year, but over the past several weeks it looks like he's starting to come on. I agree that Gratz is looking like a bust, but McCray in the seventh as insurance is somewhat paying off. I'm not suggesting this was a good draft, but I'd give him a D as it wasn't a complete failure.

'02

The 2013 draft made a lot of general managers look lIke victims. The only good one that comes to mind from that draft is Ziggy Ansah. We were just unlucky to be #2 in one of the weakest drafts in recent memory.

Joeckel has been very mediocre, as has Cyprien. Cyp did play well against Baltimore and Tennessee, but has been pretty bad in every other game, especially against Gates and San Diego. Caldwell can right these two wrongs by bringing in good competition in the draft and/or free agency. Maybe the Joek can still turn it around with a hungry player pushing him, although I doubt it.
No commercial messages in sigs

He gets an A based on drafting the best player in Jags history Blake Bortles. Everything else has been so so