Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Does everyone want to go to the playoffs and why

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 12:07 PM by Legal American.)

Quote:The tanking idea sure is working well for the 76ers......
And the Kings, Suns, Jazz, etc...

I used to be a huge Jazz fan for 25 years of my life but when the entire Jazz fanbase wanted to lose to draft Dante Exum, I was done.  Now he's out this whole year.  Kinda like the Jaguars first round pick.  Intentionally losing to get a higher pick is such an amateur move.  It paid off for maybe two or three organizations in each sport all-time, so people think it's a winning (losing?) strategy.  Yeah, the Spurs tanked and got Duncan.  The Knicks tanked and got Patrick Ewing.  

Compare that to all the times that tanking hasn't worked.  More often, teams play to win and then get lucky drafting in the middle like the Jazz did in the 80's when they got Karl Malone and John Stockton in the middle of the first round.  Both of them are voted as being in the 50 greatest players of all time.  I do not believe in losing to try to better your spot in the draft so you can get Ryan Leaf or Sam Bowie. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Make the playoffs and then make some noise.  Even if we made the playoffs and lost in the first round, who cares?  It's valuable experience.

Quote:Make the playoffs and then make some noise.  Even if we made the playoffs and lost in the first round, who cares?  It's valuable experience.
If we win the division and host a playoff game, I'll be there.

Quote:If we win the division and host a playoff game, I'll be there.

Of course, that place should be on fire.

Quote:What's an empty playoff appearance?

I want to win games.

Screw draft position.
As a season ticket holder, I agree.  I have no problem paying for one more game should we manage to win the division and have an opportunity to host a game.  There's nothing empty about being in the playoffs.  It's actually a good indication of where the team is headed should that happen.  At some point the rebuild has to reap results.  Those who think we should be tanking are just looking for the ability to continue their never-ending complaining about this team. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:As a season ticket holder, I agree.  I have no problem paying for one more game should we manage to win the division and have an opportunity to host a game.  There's nothing empty about being in the playoffs.  It's actually a good indication of where the team is headed should that happen.  At some point the rebuild has to reap results.  Those who think we should be tanking are just looking for the ability to continue their never-ending complaining about this team. 

The Usual Suspects

Jags Lose: Why aren't they winning?!?!

Jags Win: Why aren't they losing?!?!

;

;

Why would a fan want to see their team play more games?

:mellow:

Quote:I think everyone can acknowledge were not good enough to actually compete with most of these playoff teams?

Does anyone really want an empty playoff appearance at the cost of a potential defensive stud just so they can say "hey we made the playoffs!!"

Leave ur thoughts in the comments below Smile

You are grossly overestimating quality of play in the league currently. Average is the new elite. Jags can and have competed...
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

You play to try to win superbowls. No matter how you make the playoffs, you can only make it to the superbowl by the team getting into the playoffs. They may not do much there but every team strives to be in that position.

Next year it gives a young team confidence that they can make the step up and get to the playoffs and compete.

Good goobley gook, what the hell kinda question is this. Playoffs? Of course, Why? because it's the playoffs. Good Lawd.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Yes.

Playoffs are cool.

Winning is fun.

Top draft picks guarantee nothing.

Quote:Yes.

Playoffs are cool.

Winning is fun.

Top draft picks guarantee nothing.
Signed, the jags over the past nearly decade.

Quote:Signed, the jags over the past nearly decade.
Aye.

The goal is always to get into the playoffs, hopefully by winning the division. 

It's a good question,. I'n most cases squeezing into the playoffs its going to be overall more efficient for the team. When drafting a player, especially one in the top 10,  presumably you should better not only the immediate position but the subgroup as well. That in turn trickles out to the rest of the group (offense or defense).

Just getting in to the playoffs builds team confidence and chemistry. It would have the effect of proving it to yourself that its possible, seeing the results and coming back next year with a higher degree of intensity. This could prove extremely useful for a young, talented team that's still growing into the league and there positions, over a high talent pick in the draft that may not have a big impact, if any impact on the team as a whole. 

On the other side if you are in a situation where your team is completely void of any talent and the stars aligned and you get into the playoffs at 6-10 or 7-9 cause your division drank the wrong cool-aid and died in travel accidents, then no i wouldn't want the win for the playoffs and would much prefer to get the highest possible pick and trade out as many times as possible.  

Anyone who says they'd rather tank than make the playoffs this year is ignorant.  There's no guarantee that if we tank we get some all-pro super stud either.  We picked 2nd overall in 2013, how did that draft work out for us?

Quote:Make the playoffs and then make some noise.  Even if we made the playoffs and lost in the first round, who cares?  It's valuable experience.

This.

Especially for a hungry young team.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Why is this thread not locked yet?

Quote:I think everyone can acknowledge were not good enough to actually compete with most of these playoff teams?

Does anyone really want an empty playoff appearance at the cost of a potential defensive stud just so they can say "hey we made the playoffs!!"

Leave ur thoughts in the comments below Smile
Yes because winning is contagious.  This year to me was for this team to learn how to win again.  This applies to both the fans and the team.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Playoffs - because playoffs = winning

Tanking = higher draft pick.  That doesn't mean as much if you have your QB.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus