Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Details on new practice facility, and other stadium upgrades

Quote:Khan is the one with the determination and vision to get this city out of it's primitive, "goody-goody" shackles chaining down Jacksonville's potential.

With regards to the Weavers, I highly respect them and give them the highest praise imaginable but WE (as a franchise and city) needed someone with the go big or go home philosophy. That type of mindset is one that will keep you down in mediocrity and content with it. 

This city has the potential to thrive even further and I, along with many others, am jubilated by Khan and his forward-thinking mentality and what he gets accomplished for this city.

Also, why not praise him for making positive business moves that would benefit the city and the team in the short and long term? He didn't become a billionaire for no reason and he clearly he knows what he is doing.

I support Khan and his ideas to the fullest extent. 

I bleed teal and black. Duval till we die. Go Jags!
DDDDDDdddddddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Well this taxpayer is cool with his money being spent on this.

In regards to the money being spent on libraries and schools and police. I am a huge supporter of all 3, BUT, if they city doesn't pick up its proposed portion it is not as if the schools, libraries and police will get the money.

On a side note, regardless of the cost, if it's built I am sure Khan will make it a top notch facility.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Well this taxpayer is cool with his money being spent on this.
Yep.

What I am not happy with is when I have to pay for the clear mismanagement of the Police/Fire Pension Fund by the respective departments for years. Lenny wants to push the issue for JEA to shell out its own money to compensate for the pension fund that has gone awry. I can delve further into the deep-rooted issues regarding this subject and how it would affect us but I will not derail the thread. 

I'm fine with my money going towards the aforementioned projects proposed by Khan and his team. Ultimately, it will benefit the team and the city as a whole.

It's a much needed paradigm shift for the leaders in the city. 

The city better chase the money guys like keane have screwed the police and fire fighters out of.......the rabbit hole goes deep.

You're talking millions. Now the feds are involved you're going to find out a lot more.

Khan has a vision for the city and the riverfront.....and we're dang lucky to have him as an owner. :yes:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

As stated, the funding is coming out of the hotel bed tax. That tax has to be used on 'tourist' type features. It by law can't be used for infrastructure, firefighters, schools, libraries, etc...

I'm not even from Jacksonville and I've seen it explained so many times that local people should know by second nature.

I'm curious how the team will relocate ticket holders with club seats...I have four that appear to be eliminated in proposed drawings I've seen.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Aside from the fact the city can not afford this, the elephant in the room is that these are renderings of a really ugly facility.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Aside from the fact the city can not afford this, the elephant in the room is that these are renderings of a really ugly facility.
Honest question since I'm not from Jax so I can't really say, but since the bed tax cannot be used for schools/libraries/infrastructure/etc. by law, what other 'tourist' type attractions would be better to use the tax on instead of stadium/sports complex upgrades?

Also, if there has been a change in the bed tax usage rules since Curry was elected then please correct me so I know going forward. Thanks.

Quote:As stated, the funding is coming out of the hotel bed tax. That tax has to be used on 'tourist' type features. It by law can't be used for infrastructure, firefighters, schools, libraries, etc...

I'm not even from Jacksonville and I've seen it explained so many times that local people should know by second nature.

Unless I'm missing something the lodging tax (hotel bed tax) net $15.4 million in 2013. Of that, only 1/3 can be used for upgrades to the sports complex. Which mean they would need to increase the loan used to initially finance the stadium and which has been increased to fund any prior upgrades to the facility. 1/3 of the tax is used to pay back the loan. 

I get that bringing events can bring money, but do you really think they will get all those events that people are talking about Jacksonville. Wasn't part of the issue with the Superbowl the fact that there were not enough Hotels in the region, much less near downtown?

Yes that was 10 years ago, but has this city's infrastructure really improved to host that level of event? We are talking about a city that closed a major highway/bridge to downtown the weekend of hosting NCAA tournament games. One that has no public transportation and not enough taxi's for a mass visitors.

You could argue events like One Spark have helped this city prepare, but that is comparing 260,000 downtown visitors who are a majority of a younger generation (teens to young adults) who can get by without all the niceties. The 2015 Superbowl had estimates of 1 million people visiting Scottsdale. That is 4 times of the people, now with a higher percentage of the families and fans of all ages. You really need the Shipyards development done. 

Don't get me wrong. I agree with having a vision and for Jacksonville to strive for that goal.

I'm just not sure this plan gets us those level events, will solve the major issue for this city not netting those events, and erase any of the general media and Northeastern based corporate conglomerates current opinion that Jacksonville won't simply repeat what happened in 2005.

http://jax.s3.amazonaws.com/4601/jackson...n_2014.pdf

http://www.coj.net/city-council/tourist-...uncil.aspx

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sto...uperblog/3 (I know. I hate Simmons too, you can take your pick of articles about that Superbowl being one of the worst, and he actually gives credit where it is due in this blog.)

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loca.../70980462/

Quote:Unless I'm missing something the lodging tax (hotel bed tax) net $15.4 million in 2013. Of that, only 1/3 can be used for upgrades to the sports complex. Which mean they would need to increase the loan used to initially finance the stadium and which has been increased to fund any prior upgrades to the facility. 1/3 of the tax is used to pay back the loan. 

Right, the bed tax is 6%...and the Jags said they would use 2% of that for however long until it was paid off so your statement sounds true. If it stays at roughly $15 million (it should have gone up some w/ scoreboards/cabana/pools plus this amphitheater) then it would take just under 10 years of bed tax usage to get it paid off, I believe.

I'm not seeing the need for a $45 million amphitheater.  I get the indoor practice facility.  I get the desire to redo the Club Seats (and to remove even more seating overall).  But the stadium itself is already an "amphitheater" for large events and concerts. 

Quote:I'm not seeing the need for a $45 million amphitheater. I get the indoor practice facility. I get the desire to redo the Club Seats (and to remove even more seating overall). But the stadium itself is already an "amphitheater" for large events and concerts.

Uh, no. The stadium is not an amphitheater.

Quote:We don't need all this mumbo jumbo at the expense of the tax payers. Boston doesn't have these extravagant infrastructures, swimming pools and the biggest video screen in the world, yet the Patriots keep winning.

Aww, you poor tang. You mad bwo? Here, have some puddin'.....puddin'

Quote:I'm not seeing the need for a $45 million amphitheater.  I get the indoor practice facility.  I get the desire to redo the Club Seats (and to remove even more seating overall).  But the stadium itself is already an "amphitheater" for large events and concerts. 

I think the amphitheater would be used for the Jazz Festival, and also for pre- GA-FLA game festivities, pre- Gator Bowl festivities, and so forth.   I think it's a wonderful idea that ties in all sorts of entertainment options with the football stadium.  

I think the whole plan as presented is absolutely fantastic, and the kicker is that Khan is willing to fund half of it.   That's amazing.   I know he gets some operational revenues that pay back his investment, but still, he's making another huge money commitment to the city.  

Right now, knowing what I know so far, I feel extremely enthusiastic about this project.  

^^^^^^ NICE POST....What is being overlooked by many, is that Khan is going in 'haffers'

Which is going to give all of us a nicer place to go to some concerts and other stuff.

More revenue for this city.

Khan has done more in a few years than Weaver did in all of his combined.

Quote:^^^^^^ NICE POST....What is being overlooked by many, is that Khan is going in 'haffers'

Which is going to give all of us a nicer place to go to some concerts and other stuff.

More revenue for this city.

Khan has done more in a few years than Weaver did in all of his combined.
i agree and its not even close

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 08:13 AM by David4499.)

Libraries..?. Libraries.?...who needs libraries when you get all of you information over your phone now.

What this city needs is a bigger jail and more police officers. :yes:

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

But they're moving to London!

Quote:Why doesn't Khan pick up the bill for this?  The city of Jacksonville has to pick up part of the tab that will cost us $45 Million.  When they are cutting budgets to JSO and other important aspects to our city, this seems frivolous.  If he pays it all, I could care less, but having the tax payer pay it as well?

Because technically, the stadium and the surrounding area isn't Khan's personal property.  It's a city owned and operated facility. Everything the team does with the facilities must be done in conjunction with the city, especially when we're talking about major renovations like this or the scoreboards. 

Budget cutting at the JSO and "other important aspects to our city" have nothing to do with the money that will be allocated to this project or any other involving the sports complex.  As has already been pointed out multiple times, the tax money we're talking about is specifically designated for the sports complex.  It can't go anywhere else.

Quote:I agree, and the theater goes without saying...concerts and other things, but what does the city get out of the club level upgrades and indoor practice facility?

Edit:

You should also not buy something you do not have the money for.  They are talking about decades of repayment.  That doesn't seem smart IMO.

The city shares in the revenue generated by the stadium, both for Jaguars games, and for every other event that's hosted there.  If you read the article, the practice facility is a multi-use venue that can be allocated for all sorts of events the city would like to host, all of which would generate income to the city.

Do you own a house?  Did you pay cash for it up front?  Do you own a car?  Did  you pay cash for that?  If so, good for you. 

Quote:In regards to the money being spent on libraries and schools and police. I am a huge supporter of all 3, BUT, if they city doesn't pick up its proposed portion it is not as if the schools, libraries and police will get the money.

On a side note, regardless of the cost, if it's built I am sure Khan will make it a top notch facility.

Schools, police, and libraries are funded differently from the sports complex which gets it's tax dollars from those bed taxes.  You're absolutely right.  This has zero impact on any essential services the city provides.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]