Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade deadline

Quote:I can see using 6 or 7th rounders on temp players for secondary and pass rush

Quote:Why on earth would you consider this on a team clearly building for the future.  Makes zero sense.

Giving up a 6th or 7th rounder for a decent pass rusher is a good idea. When was the last time we got a SOLID player in the 6th or 7th? Someone of Curry's ability for example? and don't say Hurns because he was undrafted. I would take a proven player over an unproven very late round player any day. Why risk a long shot maybe over a sure thing? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The onl way I would trade late pick at this time, would be for a younger guy. I wouldn't give up a pick for a guy who is pushing or is over 30. However, I would easily give up a late round pick for a Barkevious Mingo in hopes that he could turn around his career here.

Quote:Giving up a 6th or 7th rounder for a decent pass rusher is a good idea. When was the last time we got a SOLID player in the 6th or 7th? Someone of Curry's ability for example? and don't say Hurns because he was undrafted. I would take a proven player over an unproven very late round player any day. Why risk a long shot maybe over a sure thing?

I'm a proponent of trading for Curry but he's going to cost a lot more than a 6th or 7th round pick. Philly could let him walk and they'll get at least that in a compensatory pick for him.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The onl way I would trade late pick at this time, would be for a younger guy. I wouldn't give up a pick for a guy who is pushing or is over 30. However, I would easily give up a late round pick for a Barkevious Mingo in hopes that he could turn around his career here.

There you go, your coming around now. Like a Vinny Curry that i have been saying in a previous thread.

Quote:I'm a proponent of trading for Curry but he's going to cost a lot more than a 6th or 7th round pick. Philly could let him walk and they'll get at least that in a compensatory pick for him.

I know I was just using him as an example, we wouldn't get quite as high quality of a player but would still be able to secure a talent that could help us. Jared Allen for example went for what is believed to be a 6th rounder. I get hes older but still better than a practice squad player in the 6th or 7th. We have a shot at the playoffs for the first time since 2007, who cares if we aren't going to the super bowl this year the Panthers went into the playoff with a losing record and won a game. 

Quote:Giving up a 6th or 7th rounder for a decent pass rusher is a good idea. When was the last time we got a SOLID player in the 6th or 7th? Someone of Curry's ability for example? and don't say Hurns because he was undrafted. I would take a proven player over an unproven very late round player any day. Why risk a long shot maybe over a sure thing? 

And this is short-sighted thinking that has been covered already.  A late pick isn’t always just a late pick.  You can use them to package and move up spots.  Perhaps you’ve heard of Allen Robinson?

I'd rather have the choices and draft a long-term fixture or just wait until free agency when these guys will be available anyway.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I know I was just using him as an example, we wouldn't get quite as high quality of a player but would still be able to secure a talent that could help us. Jared Allen for example went for what is believed to be a 6th rounder. I get hes older but still better than a practice squad player in the 6th or 7th. We have a shot at the playoffs for the first time since 2007, who cares if we aren't going to the super bowl this year the Panthers went into the playoff with a losing record and won a game.

Good points.

Quote:And this is short-sighted thinking that has been covered already. A late pick isn’t always just a late pick. You can use them to package and move up spots. Perhaps you’ve heard of Allen Robinson?

I'd rather have the choices and draft a long-term fixture or just wait until free agency when these guys will be available anyway.

Not alot of free agents are dying to come to play for the Jaguars with a possibility of a coaching change.

Quote:Not alot of free agents are dying to come to play for the Jaguars with a possibility of a coaching change.

So you've talked to a lot of them?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Eric Weddle, Tashaun Gipson 

Willie Young and Mingo 

guys I would go after

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:And this is short-sighted thinking that has been covered already.  A late pick isn’t always just a late pick.  You can use them to package and move up spots.  Perhaps you’ve heard of Allen Robinson?

Yup.

Quote:Weddle for a late round pick would make sense although he's coming off a groin injury, and I'd hate to think the Chargers know something about the injury the rest of us don't.
He would have to pass a physical anyways 

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015, 11:29 AM by Jags32250.)

Every year this board wants to go nuts in FA, and trade away picks for names they are familiar with near the deadline.  History shows, not the best idea.  Keep your picks, build thru the draft.

I can't wait until 4 PM so the speculation stops from the couch GMs.

Quote:Every year this board want's to go nuts in FA and trade away picks for names they are familiar with near the deadline. History shows, not the best idea. Keep your picks, build thru the draft.

This theory doesn't always work. Look at Oakland this year, they spent alot this year and improving big time.

Quote:I would gladly take a handful of magic beans for Gerhart right now.

Imagine what we could do with a handful of magic beans and some of Del Rio's fairy dust...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:But that's the thing, we have an opportunity to claim the division this year and some of these players on the trade block could help us do that.
Yes, because blowing draft picks on stopgap players so that we can go 6-10, win the division, lose 41-14 in the wild card round and be missing draft picks next year is such a great idea. I'd rather go 4-12, lose the division and have those picks on hand for (hopefully) the next coach to use.

Quote:Not alot of free agents are dying to come to play for the Jaguars with a possibility of a coaching change.
Aside from Joe Gibbs' second tenure, every Washington coach in the last decade and a half has been essentially a dead man walking on a yearly basis. That's never stopped free agents from signing there. Ditto the Raiders, who continue to land talent despite changing coaches like Al Davis changed underpants. If you pay them, they will come, and the Jaguars have the ability to pay them.

Quote:This theory doesn't always work. Look at Oakland this year, they spent alot this year and improving big time.

Fairy dust.  Keep choppin'.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM by J-Mizzal.)

Quote:Every year this board wants to go nuts in FA, and trade away picks for names they are familiar with near the deadline.  History shows, not the best idea.  Keep your picks, build thru the draft.

We have a shot at winning this division, Caldwell has build a nice young offense for us, giving up 5th, 6th or 7th round pick would not be a bad idea, we have two 6 round picks right now.

I wouldnt give up a high pick, but we need some pass rush help and defensive play makers, if we can get Weddle for a 5th I would do that in a heart beat. 

Quote:This theory doesn't always work. Look at Oakland this year, they spent alot this year and improving big time.
Look at why Oakland is winning.  They are drafting very well.

I'm not saying ignore FA, i'm saying be wise and supplement.  Draft should be #1.  Don't trade picks unless you are in that category of being "a player away" and have legitimate superbowl chances.

Trade for Barkevious Mingo. He's young and fast. 4.5 in the forty.  He will live up to his potentinal as the 6th overall pick under Gus.  I guarantee it.