Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Whats up with Julius Thomas?

Quote:But the league average and his average last year weren't calculated after taking away good plays.

Right, I wasn't taking that away from him. I think the point was outside of that 'gimme' he didn't really do anything. I guess the stats show that much was true.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Right, I wasn't taking that away from him. I think the point was outside of that 'gimme' he didn't really do anything. I guess the stats show that much was true.
If you take away any players good plays the stats will suddenly look pedestrian too.

Quote:If you take away any players good plays the stats will suddenly look pedestrian too.

You're missing the point. He said outside of that one play, Thomas hasn't done anything. No body is taking all his good plays, its just that one gimme play happened to be the only good play he has had all year.

Not to argue but he looked FAT in the video of the jags locker room when Gus was saying his typical Gus things. Not only that, but he looked extremely unenthused like he didn't want to be there and wasn't pumped up. Infact a google search "Does Julius Thomas really want to play in Jacksonville" brought me to this forum, so what's up guys.

Granted he's coming off injuries and is walking into a young offense he's not intimate with halfway through the season, so you gotta be a little patient. I say you start giving him some more looks next week though, especially in red-zone territory, that's the big man's specialty.

Quote:To clarify, we're talking about that single play where he was completely uncovered right? Not for nothing, but it doesn't actually get any easier than that, and it is pretty much his only play this year.

What about his first game back when he got open and would have had a long gain (possibly a TD) had Blake not force-fed the ball (a mistake Blake admitted to, and further pointed out by Lags in Film Room) to a double/triple covered Lewis? (who, you guessed it, dropped the ball)

Blake makes the correct read there and we could be talking about two TDs, both for big yardage. I mean, sheesh. All this nit picking just because a guy pulled up lame, which is now confirmed to be a legit injury?

Not when he made a tremendous catch on a poorly thrown ball by a QB who didn't have his best game, negated by penalty?

Forgotten in the whole Gerhart goalline fiasco was that Thomas drew a PI that put the ball at the 1. Sure we would have liked the TD there, but if not interfered with, maybe he does haul it in (and almost did). When's the last time a Jaguar TE was able to force a PI due to them being a mismatch?

Quote:You're missing the point. He said outside of that one play, Thomas hasn't done anything. No body is taking all his good plays, its just that one gimme play happened to be the only good play he has had all year.
The guy has only played in 3 games and has 1 start. Considering the time he has missed, having 1 really good game in his only start isn't too shabby.

Quote:The guy has only played in 3 games and has 1 start. Considering the time he has missed, having 1 really good game in his only start isn't too shabby.

Okay, a 1 td game is not a "really good" game. Doubly so when that td comes from a terrible blown coverage that leaves nobody within 10 yards of the middle of the field.

I hope teams decide to completely blow a lot more coverages on him.

I know the jags forum is always chocked full of excuses for our guys, but he hasn't done anything for us yet.

Quote:Okay, a 1 td game is not a "really good" game. Doubly so when that td comes from a terrible blown coverage that leaves nobody within 10 yards of the middle of the field.

I know the jags forum is always chocked full of excuses for our guys, but he hasn't done anything for us yet.

Do you take away credit from Telvin since EJ practically threw him the ball? Or Poz?

Quote:Do you take away credit from Telvin since EJ practically threw him the ball? Or Poz?

So, poz actually made a play on that ball. It was not thrown right at him. It was also not his only good play since joining the team.

Telvin indeed did have that ball hit him square in the chest. That was surely more a screw up by EJ than anything great Telvin did, at least before the return which was good. Of course, he had five other good plays in that game alone.

Sorry if I don't think JT can count on nobody covering him as a rule. He's welcome and encouraged to make some plays. A few where he actually beats coverage are also allowed. Maybe start becoming that security blanket we paid him to be.

Quote:He's out of shape coming off of injury and probably won't look right again till next year IMO.

Bull

Quote:Okay, a 1 td game is not a "really good" game. Doubly so when that td comes from a terrible blown coverage that leaves nobody within 10 yards of the middle of the field.

Maybe your math isn't very good, but 1 TD a game would equal 16 in a season which would be all pro.

Quote:So, poz actually made a play on that ball. It was not thrown right at him. It was also not his only good play since joining the team.

Telvin indeed did have that ball hit him square in the chest. That was surely more a screw up by EJ than anything great Telvin did, at least before the return which was good. Of course, he had five other good plays in that game alone.

Sorry if I don't think JT can count on nobody covering him as a rule. He's welcome and encouraged to make some plays. A few where he actually beats coverage are also allowed. Maybe start becoming that security blanket we paid him to be.

Like the one he caught on a badly thrown ball by Blake that was called back?

Or the one that Blake missed against Tampa?

Or him getting us a PI call that put the ball at the 1?

You just seem to be harping big time on Thomas despite the fact that he was

a) limited vs. Tampa bay, the game plan didn't include him, and still should have had a TD if our QB doesn't have a habit of locking on to the #1 option

b) It was a good game. Even the miscommunication that led to pick 6, Lags and Tony have put on Blake as the "likely" bad read on option

c) It was so-so, but he would have made a highlight catch, and got the ball to the 1 on a penalty despite limited targets, and got hurt.

I mean, I'm not sure what your expectations are. Look around at TE play across the league. Even beasts like Gronk and Graham have "down" games. For most of the TEs in the NFL, Julius included, production is inconsistent from game-to-game. And for all intents and purposes, Julius have only played two games.

Quote:Maybe your math isn't very good, but 1 TD a game would equal 16 in a season which would be all pro.

I hadn't noticed, is he on pace for 1 TD a game?

Quote:I mean, I'm not sure what your expectations are. Look around at TE play across the league. Even beasts like Gronk and Graham have "down" games. For most of the TEs in the NFL, Julius included, production is inconsistent from game-to-game. And for all intents and purposes, Julius have only played two games.

My expectation is big plays from a guy being paid like one of the best TEs in the league.  So far, he has one, when he was completely uncovered to the point it was pitch and catch.  I'm ready to see him produce and be a difference maker multiple times per game.

Quote:You're missing the point. He said outside of that one play, Thomas hasn't done anything. No body is taking all his good plays, its just that one gimme play happened to be the only good play he has had all year.

Listen you dumb hick, nobody here cares about the words coming out of your chewing tobacco stained mouth. You are a tacks fan and are obviously biased. Slither on back to the tacks board where you can compare overall brands and debate Skoal vs Copenhagen.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:I hadn't noticed, is he on pace for 1 TD a game?
If he played every game like your "not a very good game" he would be on pace for 16 TDs and over 1200 yrds.

Quote:If he played every game like your "not a very good game" he would be on pace for 16 TDs and over 1200 yrds.

*If* 

Do you expect he's going to get 16 TDs by being completely uncovered?

How many TDs has he gotten while actually being covered?

How many games has he even suited up?

Exactly.

Our fans are such over the top homers.  When the guy makes some real plays, we can talk. 

As one poster said, he looked fat. I think his conditioning isn't 100%

Also he's had no time to build chemistry with Blake. Hard to do when you haven't been allowed to catch.

I expect the entire offense to be more in sync against the Jets
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:*If* 

Do you expect he's going to get 16 TDs by being completely uncovered?

How many TDs has he gotten while actually being covered?

How many games has he even suited up?

Exactly.

Our fans are such over the top homers.  When the guy makes some real plays, we can talk. 
There is no "if" about it. He had a very good game in his 1 start this season against Houston which you are desperately trying to dispute.

Quote:There is no "if" about it. He had a very good game in his 1 start this season against Houston which you are desperately trying to dispute.

Quote:If he played every game like your "not a very good game" he would be on pace for 16 TDs and over 1200 yrds.

It sure looks like your premise was predicated on a pretty big IF to me, but okay...

We're 7 games in, and his only TD was against air coverage.  You're allowed to be impressed by this greatness thus far, but I'll remain skeptical until he shows a lot more.