Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Pros and Cons of firing Gus Bradley

Quote:Bradley isn't incompetent as a coach.  The defense is good.  The problem is the offense that is lacking good blocking, guys who can catch, and experience at QB.  We ride or die with the offensive staff we have.  They can adjust their strategy and get results or be gone at year end.

He's not a bad coach. He's a bad head coach. Most guys that reach the level of NFL head coach are not bad coaches. They got to that level for a reason.

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's like being in a kayak headed for a waterfall. You can say "well lets see what happens" or you can look at the waterfall and know what's going to happen.

Throwing somebody out of the boat does not magically stop the current.

Quote:No, at the end of the year you can look at the big picture.

You're assumption is that the last 2 years don't matter and you're ignoring them altogether.  I'm not saying fire GB right now, but he is 7-26 and the 1st game of the REGULAR season gave no real indication of improvement.

Quote:He's not a bad coach. He's a bad head coach. Most guys that reach the level of NFL head coach are not bad coaches. They got to that level for a reason.

Maybe he is a bad head coach.  That does not mean firing him at this point mid season does anything except placate fans.

Quote:Maybe he is a bad head coach.  That does not mean firing him at this point mid season does anything except placate fans.

I think most fans would be happy to see him fired mid-season if the Jags don't show any life.  At least it'll show that Khan is not going to tolerate the same crap he has for the last 3 years.

Ugh, just can't stand that joke of an offense though. How quick was that 3 and out on that first posession we had? It's like you just blinked and next thing you know, we're already punting

Quote:Throwing somebody out of the boat does not magically stop the current.

Oh please. We all know what's going to happen if Gus hangs around beyond this year. We will drown in another embarrassing season. The coaching has been horrendous. I think he's the worst we've ever had, coaching acumen and record wise.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:You're assumption is that the last 2 years don't matter and you're ignoring them altogether.  I'm not saying fire GB right now, but he is 7-26 and the 1st game of the REGULAR season gave no real indication of improvement.

At this point, it is irrelevant.  When the season is over (or at least near over), it becomes relevant again.

Quote:So you give Bradley a new lease on life every year (i.e. new players from the draft, FA or new coaches)?

No, but firing a coach one game into the 3rd year of a rebuild is nonsensical.

Quote:Maybe he is a bad head coach.  That does not mean firing him at this point mid season does anything except placate fans.

You have a guy on the staff with NFL head coaching experience. You give him half a season to see what he can do. Marrone is highly thought of around the league. Sports Illustrated had an article this offseason about guys most likely to become a head coach in 2016. Marrone was in the top ten, even the top choice among one front office person.

The team could easily play better with Marrone as head coach. 

;

;

Quote:Oh please. We all know what's going to happen if Gus hangs around beyond this year. We will drown in another embarrassing season. The coaching has been horrendous. I think he's the worst we've ever had, coaching acumen and record wise.

I never said we HAVE to keep him beyond this year.  Sure go ahead and fire him after the year.  Real growth can occur with a full offseason.

Quote:You aren't revealing any shocking revelations.  Everybody knows the next few games are against better teams.  That doesn't mean firing a defensive head coach is going to suddenly open the offense up or whatever you think is going to happen.

This teams problem right now is as mental as anything

Their execution ( lack of ), their sloppiness.. it's all because of the mentality imo of their head coach and the mentality he brings both to the game and to his players

Quote:You have a guy on the staff with NFL head coaching experience. You give him half a season to see what he can do. Marrone is highly thought of around the league. Sports Illustrated had an article this offseason about guys most likely to become a head coach in 2016. Marrone was in the top ten, even the top choice among one front office person.

The team could easily play better with Marrone as head coach. 

The offensive staff is already given free reign to do whatever they can on offense.  What do you think is going to happen when Bradley leaves?

As much as i hate yesterday, the defense played okay. Its up to blake. If blake was playing at a top 15 level we win that game. Its an oversimplification but its the reality of the league

Quote:The offensive staff is already given free reign to do whatever they can on offense.  What do you think is going to happen when Bradley leaves?

You're right, overall there would be no change but the big message would be that a losing culture is unacceptable.  I think some more games need to be played before pulling the trigger but it almost seems inevitable at this point.

Quote:This teams problem right now is as mental as anything

Their execution ( lack of ), their sloppiness.. it's all because of the mentality imo of their head coach and the mentality he brings both to the game and to his players

i think it's as physical as anything.  You have guys who cant catch, cant block, and cant throw.  Not sure what a good pep talk is supposed to do about that.  All we can do is hope they get better.

Quote:The offensive staff is already given free reign to do whatever they can on offense.  What do you think is going to happen when Bradley leaves?

The game has been continually mismanaged by Bradley. Bad use of timeouts, bad use of challenges, terrible second half adjustments. Since he got here. Nothing has changed.

;

;

Quote:

You're assumption is that the last 2 years don't matter
and you're ignoring them altogether. I'm not saying fire GB right now, but he is 7-26 and the 1st game of the REGULAR season gave no real indication of improvement.

They don't according to the facts.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:i think it's as physical as anything.  You have guys who cant catch, cant block, and cant throw.  Not sure what a good pep talk is supposed to do about that.  All we can do is hope they get better.

31 other teams have issues just as we do, so how do you explain that we constantly find ourselves near the bottom?  How do the good teams constantly develop guys out of nowhere who step up every year?

This isn't a leadership issue. If anything it needs to be looked at from a management perspective. Do you think Gus is walking around to each meeting room and controlling everything? There all individual coordinators and position coaches that are responsible for the players development. The HC is a figure head. So why aren't we talking about firing Sullivan and Nathaniel Hackett if someones head needs to put on a spike to appease the masses?

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]