Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
BREAKING: Court rules against Redskins

Quote:And the n-word has been around longer than any of us also, and for a very long time it didn't seem to "offend" many, and I would wager that many of those who were offended probably didn't have a drop of black blood in them. 

Or are you still using it? If not, is that an example of PC getting out of control?

Everything that changes is not political correctness. Everything doesn't have to remain as it was in 1955. 

You know, my life is a bit different.

I grew up in an environment where there were no blacks around.  The first time that I ever heard the "n-word" was when I watched the Roots series on television.  I was appalled and taken aback about what had happened back in history.

When I went to high school, I could probably count on my two hands the number of blacks in the school.

It wasn't until later in life when I joined the military that I was actually around "other people" that not only included blacks, but Filipinos, Puerto Ricans and southern white guys.  I did for a period of time use the racial slur after a particular group of people (the blacks) were hostile to me socially.

Contrary to what some may believe, the military was not "totally united" at the time, mainly on a social basis.  If you went into a mess hall, all of the different racial groups were sitting together (blacks at a table, whites at a table, Hispanics at a table etc.).  Of course, when it came to our jobs we worked together, but there was most certainly a racial divide.

It wasn't until I had made my way up the ranks that I realized that "people are people" and I stopped using the term, and dis-associated myself with anyone that would use the term.  I became good friends (and still remain) with people from all walks of life and a variety of ethnic cultures.

So to answer your questions, no I do not use that term and don't approve of it.  It is also not an example of PC getting out of control.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You have a very narrow and flawed view of what fascism actually is. 

Yea, thanks for the insight and contribution.

Oh wait.. you didn't actually say anything.

That's what fascism is when you get down to it. There is nothing convoluted or deep about it. It's as simple as forcing everyone to live by what the fascist wants them to live by.

Quote:Yea, thanks for the insight and contribution.

Oh wait.. you didn't actually say anything.

That's what fascism is when you get down to it. There is nothing convoluted or deep about it. It's as simple as forcing everyone to live by what the fascist wants them to live by.
I didn't have to say anything. The mere fact you compared a movement that is against racism and bigotry with fascism, a movement that thrives on bigotry and that makes racism official public policy speaks volumes about your understanding of the subject at hand. There's a lot of things one can call the PC crowd, fascists is very much not one of them. 

Quote:I didn't have to say anything. The mere fact you compared a movement that is against racism and bigotry with fascism, a movement that thrives on bigotry and that makes racism official public policy speaks volumes about your understanding of the subject at hand. There's a lot of things one can call the PC crowd, fascists is very much not one of them. 

What you described is not fascism, it's Nazi Germany, which, while modeled on fascism, went in a different direction.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:You know, my life is a bit different.

I grew up in an environment where there were no blacks around.  The first time that I ever heard the "n-word" was when I watched the Roots series on television.  I was appalled and taken aback about what had happened back in history.

When I went to high school, I could probably count on my two hands the number of blacks in the school.

It wasn't until later in life when I joined the military that I was actually around "other people" that not only included blacks, but Filipinos, Puerto Ricans and southern white guys.  I did for a period of time use the racial slur after a particular group of people (the blacks) were hostile to me socially.

Contrary to what some may believe, the military was not "totally united" at the time, mainly on a social basis.  If you went into a mess hall, all of the different racial groups were sitting together (blacks at a table, whites at a table, Hispanics at a table etc.).  Of course, when it came to our jobs we worked together, but there was most certainly a racial divide.

It wasn't until I had made my way up the ranks that I realized that "people are people" and I stopped using the term, and dis-associated myself with anyone that would use the term.  I became good friends (and still remain) with people from all walks of life and a variety of ethnic cultures.

So to answer your questions, no I do not use that term and don't approve of it.  It is also not an example of PC getting out of control.

I wish others saw the issue as you do and acted accordingly. It is not "political correctness" to treat others with dignity and respect.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

DragonFury its pretty clear that as a European you have no idea what it means to be an American.

It means you are allowed to be a bigot, you're allowed to be a racist, you're allowed to be whatever you want as long as you don't physically hurt anyone.

It means that no matter how much you and I find those opinions distasteful, no matter how much we don't like

them, they are allowed to be that way.

Thank you for proving that you are in fact a fascist.

As long as no one is being hurt physically, I don't care what morons think, I don't care what opinions they have - its their right as Americans to have them. I will never infringe upon them.

Quote:DragonFury its pretty clear that as a European you have no idea what it means to be an American.

It means you are allowed to be a bigot, you're allowed to be a racist, you're allowed to be whatever you want as long as you don't physically hurt anyone.

It means that no matter how much you and I find those opinions distasteful, no matter how much we don't like

them, they are allowed to be that way.

Thank you for proving that you are in fact a fascist.

As long as no one is being hurt physically, I don't care what morons think, I don't care what opinions they have - its their right as Americans to have them. I will never infringe upon them.
Thank you for further proofing the fact you have no clue what you're talking about. Not once did I prevent you or anyone else on this forum from expressing their opinions nor I or any of the other staff punish you for expressing an opinion. I am well aware of what freedom of speech is and what it entails but unlike you I also know that freedom of speech does not mean freedom of criticism or consequences. Any opinion can be openly questioned, refuted or outright mocked and I, like anyone else on this forum, can openly say your idea of what fascism is and what it means is miles off from what fascism actually is. 

agree

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015, 01:00 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

Quote:When did this happen and why was it "OK" for so many years earlier, and then all of a sudden, someone decides they are offended by a team name, and then there is a controversy about said name?

Liberals
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Why does Dragonfury even post?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:Why does Dragonfury even post?
Because it's his right to do so. Come on, why would a good American like yourself even need to ask stuck a question?

Isn't this the same argument as the confederate flag? Since the American Indians are a defeated enemy, shouldn't they suck it up and roll over about this, just like the left expects from southerners?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015, 02:23 PM by TJBender.)

Quote:Isn't this the same argument as the confederate flag? Since the American Indians are a defeated enemy, shouldn't they suck it up and roll over about this, just like the left expects from southerners?
You've never studied Native American history, have you?

Native Americans are not a "defeated enemy". They were here first, and Americans (and British colonists) spent centuries pushing them out of the way of imperialist expansion.

Quote:You've never studied Native American history, have you?

Native Americans are not a "defeated enemy". They were here first, and Americans (and British colonists) spent centuries pushing them out of the way of imperialist expansion.

Sooooo... they weren't defeated then?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

To keep busy until anime comes on..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Sooooo... they weren't defeated then?
Comparing Native Americans to Confederates is like (but not quite the same as) comparing Jews to Nazis. You're not talking about people who picked a fight and lost. You're talking about people who were systematically marginalized, oppressed and sometimes slaughtered.

Because when someone calls me a fascist I'd like a chance to respond, especially when they clearly have no idea what fascism actually is. Additionally, despite being European, I seem to have a better understanding of the US constitution than most Americans. 

Quote:Comparing Native Americans to Confederates is like (but not quite the same as) comparing Jews to Nazis. You're not talking about people who picked a fight and lost. You're talking about people who were systematically marginalized, oppressed and sometimes slaughtered.

We're talking about people who lost a war. It happens all the time.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Comparing Native Americans to Confederates is like (but not quite the same as) comparing Jews to Nazis. You're not talking about people who picked a fight and lost. You're talking about people who were systematically marginalized, oppressed and sometimes slaughtered.

This is very much the same. The Confederacy were established humans on their land. The US army attacked them, and forced them to live by different rules. How is that any different from what the American Indians went through? The North fired the first shots in the Civil War.

The Indians lost. Time for them to suck it up and stop whining. At least the NFL isn't demanding that they desecrate their burial grounds.

Quote:This is very much the same. The Confederacy were established humans on their land. The US army attacked them, and forced them to live by different rules. How is that any different from what the American Indians went through? The North fired the first shots in the Civil War.

The Indians lost. Time for them to suck it up and stop whining. At least the NFL isn't demanding that they desecrate their burial grounds.
I'll argue your whole post later, but the Union absolutely did not fire the first shot. The Union forced the Confederates' hand into doing so, but the rebels shot first.
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/fort-sumter.html'>http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/fort-sumter.html</a>