Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fowler Hurt at Rookie Camp - Torn ACL

I feel bad for Fowler (especially since I rep Gator Nation). But he is a good kid. He has questionable taste in suits but he is a good kid. I dont see how everyone is self destructing over this injury. He can and will comeback. But, he is only one player amongst a bunch of players. We have to continue to play ball. I hate to say it but "next man up."

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:at least well get the 1st overall pick in this upcoming draft for the new head coach... not feeling optomistic at this point..

You're not very smart if you think a LEO getting hurt is the difference this season.  This season rides on the offense's production.  Not the defense.  If the defense did what it did last year, then that's fine.  Offense will make or break this staff.

Quote:at least well get the 1st overall pick in this upcoming draft for the new head coach... not feeling optomistic at this point..
Wow. 

Yes, Fowler was going to be the difference between success and the #1 pick in the draft.

I'm always amazed at the keen intellect of some on this board. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I feel bad for Fowler (especially since I rep Gator Nation). But he is a good kid. He has questionable taste in suits but he is a good kid. I dont see how everyone is self destructing over this injury. He can and will comeback. But, he is only one player amongst a bunch of players. We have to continue to play ball. I hate to say it but "next man up."
This^^^

The season isn't a loss, and neither is his career. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sure it hurts losing you first pick, no matter what position he plays.  No…it sucks.  But this defense was not all that bad last year already.  How many games did they collapse in the second half from being on the field for so long?  Let’s also not forget that Fowler wasn’t the only piece that they added to the defense.  Plus, the outcome of this season was going to be more heavily weighted on the offensive side of the ball anyway. 

Bortles has got to improve and keep the offense on the field longer.  I think he will.  How much, remains to be seen.

I can’t believe how many people think that this kills the whole season.  It’s crazy.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote: 

Never underestimate the power of people.

[Image: kex46v.jpg]

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

[Image: panic.gif]

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:Wow. 

Yes, Fowler was going to be the difference between success and the #1 pick in the draft.

Wait a second.

Nobody was saying he was going to break the single season sack record in his first year.

For that matter, I don't recall anyone stating he was going to break double digit sacks in his rookie year.

But I think 6-8 sacks his rookie year could have represented some tangible impact.

Tony Brackens registered 7 sacks his rookie year and only started one game.

Included in those figures was a dominant 2 sack performance against Carolina, the INT against Seattle that changed the momentum, and the tackle some 20-30 yards downfield of Falcons' WR Terrance Mathis (?) that led to Morten's Miss that enabled the Jaguars to reach the playoffs during that incredible 1996 run.

Even if it was for a game or two, it wasn't unrealistic to expect a guy like Fowler to make an impact for the team.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Wait a second.

Nobody was saying he was going to break the single season sack record in his first year.

For that matter, I don't recall anyone stating he was going to break double digit sacks in his rookie year.

But I think 6-8 sacks his rookie year could have represented some tangible impact.

Included in those figures was a dominant 2 sack performance against Carolina, the INT against Seattle that changed the momentum, and the tackle some 20-30 yards downfield of Falcons' WR Terrance Mathis (?) that led to Morten's Miss that enabled the Jaguars to reach the playoffs during that incredible 1996 run.

Even if it was for a game or two, it wasn't unrealistic to expect a guy like Fowler to make an impact for the team.

that is what he was replying to....

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:that is what he was replying to....
I get that.

I get that our defense wasn't too bad last year and actually seemed to pressure QBs decently. 

I get that a rookie typically isn't supposed to be a world beater out of the gate.

I get that the team would likely improve beyond the first overall pick without Fowler.

I just don't want to exaggerate Fowler's potential impact prior to the injury-positively or negatively.

Quote:Wait a second.

I think my point was pretty clear.  Whether Fowler was able to succeed or not as a rookie, it wasn't going to have the kind of tangible impact on this team thatw was going to add multiple wins to the record.  At the end of the day, Fowler's loss does little to alter the trajectory of this team.  Lose your QB?  Then it's a season where we're talking about who the first pick in the draft is next year.

Quote:I get that.

I get that our defense wasn't too bad last year and actually seemed to pressure QBs decently. 

I get that a rookie typically isn't supposed to be a world beater out of the gate.

I get that the team would likely improve beyond the first overall pick without Fowler.

I just don't want to exaggerate Fowler's potential impact prior to the injury-positively or negatively.

The impact of Fowler's injury on the pass rush is going to be significant, but even without him last year using a rotation of guys who don't have his draft pedigree, we managed to register top 10 numbers for sacks.  There was QB pressure there.  He was going to be a difference maker for the defense in improving upon those figures, but at the end of the day, his injury, at a position where we have quality depth, is only going to impact the stat line and not have nearly the impact on the wins and losses.  The defense is still going to be improved, as will the rest of the team as long as we keep #5 healthy, and he has adequate weapons to do his job. 

Fowler's loss sucks, but it's not the end of anything for this team this year. 

True it is not the end of the world, but we fear its an omen of the upcoming Jaguars season.

We need time to heal.... this too shall pass....

man I was hoping ot see Fowler Jr just destroy QBs this season & now that sadly will not happen.

We?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:I think my point was pretty clear.  Whether Fowler was able to succeed or not as a rookie, it wasn't going to have the kind of tangible impact on this team thatw was going to add multiple wins to the record.  At the end of the day, Fowler's loss does little to alter the trajectory of this team.  Lose your QB?  Then it's a season where we're talking about who the first pick in the draft is next year.
But see that's just it.

Did anyone anticipate Brackens having a huge impact his rookie year?

No.

But he had a significant role in at least three wins on that 1996 team.

Without his impact...how would we view that 1996 team...6-10 vs. 9-7?

Without his impact...there's no Morten's miss.

No Natrone Means running wild in Rich Stadium.  No Boselli manhandling Bruce Smith.

No Brunell to Jimmy Smith or scrambling wildly in Denver.

No 40,000 in Alltel at 1 am.

Having had the injury take place, we can say Fowler will not have any tangible impact on the outcome of the season.

Prior to the injury?  I'm not sure how anyone could declare that with any degree of certainty.

I think this injury will change the way we conduct rookie mini-camps in the future. 

I doubt it.  It's not like they were out there in pads beating each other up. 

Did they change anything from Friday to Saturday?

I don't know.  I can just imagine next year around this time before practice, DC or Gus saying, "Hey, remember last year?  Lets take it easy."

Quote:I don't know.  I can just imagine next year around this time before practice, DC or Gus saying, "Hey, remember last year?  Lets take it easy."
How much easier are they going to take it on these guys?  Put cots out there and have pillow fights?  Injuries happen, and obviously even in non-contact drills like the one that cost Fowler his rookie year.  At some point you either have to decide the players should wear skirts and not prepare at all, or you accept the risk and move on.  It's football.