Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Multiple teams wanted to trade up for Fowler

Quote:According to who?

You're a riot dude.
It's not a secret...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Not really a big measurables guy. But watching the cutups Fowler does lack in winning consistantly around the edge. Hes good at inside moves, but against NFL OTs you need to scare them to set that up. I dont see it. If hes moved around though he can be very productive. I just dont think an elite player should have to be moved around though to be productive. 
You do realize pass rush moves can be coached? The reason he wasn't good at winning off the edge is because he didn't know how to counter.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:You do realize pass rush moves can be coached? The reason he wasn't good at winning off the edge is because he didn't know how to counter.
Quite the opposite to me actually. The majority of Fowler's wins came off of counters. He was good at rushing upfield, waiting for the tackle to overset, and then countering w/ an inside step or a bull rush once he got the tackle off balance. 

If you think Fowler had good counter moves then I really have to question if you watched him. He would get held up because he didn't know how to disengage and beat the tackle. He won on inside moves, but he did not have an array of pass moves to win outside. Once those are coached to him and he gets a good feel for it he should be a beast.

KY I really respect your opinion here but I gotta ask, what do you see or fail to see that causes your opinion to differ so drastically from the professionals?
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

I think he sees the same thing as the professionals just doesn't understand that those problems can be coached up and negated as Fowler develos.

Quote:KY I really respect your opinion here but I gotta ask, what do you see or fail to see that causes your opinion to differ so drastically from the professionals?

He doesn't have his own opinion. He follows a bunch of dudes on twitter who like to have differing opinions on what he or some people call "big draft" (like mayock, kiper, etc) and he absorbs those opinions and parrots them as his own.

He was so anti fowler predraft and now that we have him he's already starting to straddle the fence, leaving himself an out in case fowler does turn into a good player in almost every one of his posts.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:We got the best player in the draft.

To be determined

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I think you have to look at the film of him as an RE with the Gators since he'll play that role as a Jaguar,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...pzATHZKJiQ   at 8:55 in that link for example against East Carolina

or

http://gfycat.com/WhiteWhimsicalDogfish

He will have time to watch and learn under Chris Clemons which is a bonus to his success as a Jaguar LEO.

Drafting someone based on measurables and combine times is what gets you Matt Jones.

Fowler might not have the best stats or times but he was considered the best pass rusher my many scouts in this draft and we got him.

Quote:He doesn't have his own opinion. He follows a bunch of dudes on twitter who like to have differing opinions on what he or some people call "big draft" (like mayock, kiper, etc) and he absorbs those opinions and parrots them as his own.

He was so anti fowler predraft and now that we have him he's already starting to straddle the fence, leaving himself an out in case fowler does turn into a good player in almost every one of his posts.

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.”

Albert Einstein

Quote:All of what you are saying here start mattering only once you have that baseline athletic profile that is required for the position. Fowler is very fringe for the position. He isn't Jarvis Jones or Michael Sam (or Shane Ray), but he is closer than you'd like.

It's possible that the level of his heart and desire (I hate using those terms because they are completely incalculable and incomparable, if not completely fabricated) carries him to be a dominant player, but I will always lean toward the guy who shows a good enough baseline level of intangibles with the excellent athletic profile (like Beasley or Dupree) over the vice versa like Fowler.

And for these reasons exactly is why the "tape" is the best way to get evaluate a player, not thier combine stats. I remember the story of JJ Watt being a walk on in college. Dude played football, went to school fulltime and worked a job to help pay for school since he didn't have a scholarship at first. That level of commitment to your craft cannot me measured. That is the sole reason this guy is at the level he is cause he sure isn't the biggest and fastest.

On the flip side Matt Jones had all the measureables you wanted but had no passion for the game at all. Same goes for Harvey. Not saying desire is the only reason guys make it cause that is not true either but to think combine numbers is the predictor of success in the nfl is crazy.

If anyone has or can find video of Dante Fowler vs Georgia that would be great.
Shock the world

I got my Jaguars Jersey on mowing the yard today, so everything is green & possible in the off season.  Why not claim that Yeldon will be better than Freddy or that Fowler Jr might be better than Chris Clemons this season?

Hope is all we have as Jaguars fans, and right now hope is high.

Quote:And for these reasons exactly is why the "tape" is the best way to get evaluate a player, not thier combine stats. I remember the story of JJ Watt being a walk on in college. Dude played football, went to school fulltime and worked a job to help pay for school since he didn't have a scholarship at first. That level of commitment to your craft cannot me measured. That is the sole reason this guy is at the level he is cause he sure isn't the biggest and fastest.

On the flip side Matt Jones had all the measureables you wanted but had no passion for the game at all. Same goes for Harvey. Not saying desire is the only reason guys make it cause that is not true either but to think combine numbers is the predictor of success in the nfl is crazy.
I already posted this before, but dude, JJ Watt is absolutely the biggest and fastest. He is 5 (!!!) standard deviations from the average DL athlete. 99.999999%tile. The next JJ Watt athlete should statistically come around in about 300 years. He is every superlative adjective available. 

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 03:21 PM by Cleatwood.)

Quote:I already posted this before, but dude, JJ Watt is absolutely the biggest and fastest. He is 5 (!!!) standard deviations from the average DL athlete. 99.999999%tile. The next JJ Watt athlete should statistically come around in about 300 years. He is every superlative adjective available. 
Side note... How in the world did Watt fall to 11?!

If he is as good an athlete as you say (which he is), he definitely should have been the #1 pick right?

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 03:29 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:KY I really respect your opinion here but I gotta ask, what do you see or fail to see that causes your opinion to differ so drastically from the professionals?
I think people are overrating his across the board mediocrity (aka versatility) on cutups as "oh well when he gets proper coaching" or "oh when he gets to focus on just one thing" or "but he's only 20!". I don't think it's that easy to project him, because he is so on the razor's edge athletically. I like his aggression, motor, size, etc...

However, I worry that the main way he won in college, inside counter moves, won't work in the NFL against OTs that won't overset so often. I think Fowler won predominately by being schemed into pressure with his inside blitzes, or taking advantage of poor college OT technique. It's easy to see how Beasley's skill set is going to translate to the NFL game. I don't think it is that easy to see with Fowler. 

All of that said, I wouldn't characterize myself as being "So anti-Fowler" as that child Achilles said. All I ever said is that there were a handful of guys that would have been better picks. Fowler belonged in the middle third of the 1st round. If 10 picks lower than he went = "So anti-Fowler" then whatever. 

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 03:27 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Side note... How in the world did Watt fall to 11?!

If he is as good an athlete as you say (which he is), he definitely should have been the #1 pick right?
Maybe not #1 overall because Cam was a great QB prospect...but he should have been the #1 non QB off the board absolutely. NFL teams show frequently that they are stupid. 

Quote:Maybe not #1 overall because Cam was a great QB prospect...but he should have been the #1 non QB off the board absolutely. NFL teams show frequently that they are stupid. 
So some teams don't properly evaluate how athletic a player is?... Surely this could happen to Fowler right?

Quote:So some teams don't properly evaluate how athletic a player is?... Surely this could happen to Fowler right?
I think you're trying way too hard to connect some dots that just aren't there. Watt tested off the charts at the combine too. He showed athleticism and power every play in college. It was just oozing off of everything you watched. He would be a top tier athlete as a safety based purely on his drills.