Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What should we do with Henne?
Release him if we can't get a trade
Trade him if we can get atleast a 6th rounder
Keep him
Re-sign Todd Bouman for the 7th time as our new backup if 1 and 2 come to fruition
Corn
*Todd Bouman Tractor Signal*
[Show Results]

Should we keep Henne?

Henne is bad... but unless there's an upgrade out there, there's no reason to cut ties with him.  Trade him?  Maybe if some team offered a 5th.  Maybe if some team offered a player of equal or greater ability.  Henne is bad, but at least we know what we've got there.  No worries about QB controversy if Bortles slips.  Unlike Mark Sanchez.  Controversy is the last thing we need.  Bring in someone who is OBVIOUSLY a backup, but only if they're an upgrade to Henne.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Henne is bad... but unless there's an upgrade out there, there's no reason to cut ties with him.  Trade him?  Maybe if some team offered a 5th.  Maybe if some team offered a player of equal or greater ability.  Henne is bad, but at least we know what we've got there.  No worries about QB controversy if Bortles slips.  Unlike Mark Sanchez.  Controversy is the last thing we need.  Bring in someone who is OBVIOUSLY a backup, but only if they're an upgrade to Henne.

Actually there is a reason to cut ties with him, it's his contract.

There isn't any need to pay a backup around 3 million more dollars than a league minimum player would get.

The Jaguars talk a lot about money and market viability, cutting unnecessary players with overvalued contracts is a great way to create de facto income.

Quote:Actually there is a reason to cut ties with him, it's his contract.

There isn't any need to pay a backup around 3 million more dollars than a league minimum player would get.

The Jaguars talk a lot about money and market viability, cutting unnecessary players with overvalued contracts is a great way to create de facto income.

We're not doing bad with the cap, so again... why cut ties with him, unless we find someone better?  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:We're not doing bad with the cap, so again... why cut ties with him, unless we find someone better?  

Did you actually read my post?

I didn't say anything about the cap. I'm talking about spending in ways that optimize value.

Quote:We're not doing bad with the cap, so again... why cut ties with him, unless we find someone better?  
Finding someone better shouldn't be very hard to do...

I'm thinking they'll find someone that's sort of in the Jason Campbell/Charlie Whitehurst mold to bring on as a better back-up. 

Quote:THE FUTURE

[Image: wCZhIhW.png]
Almost wet myself.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I think if Brett Hundley is available in the 4th, then draft him and release Henne. Hey, you never know..

Sure. Who else would we blame for bad play :teehee:.

Henne is a capable back up QB. With this Swiss cheese oline we better have insurance at the QB position

We should trade him to get ??? Yeah not much we could get for him but maybe at best a 5th rd or vet WR but who? What about Jimmy Smith or McCardell.  As far as back-up QB I say Tebow. I say again Tebow. He can learn the new system just the same and he brings the same can do, will do attitude. I think we need a little more depth at LB though. The new OC better have some aggressive plays to get down the field fast. Spread the field to keep the D honest. Can we get Ed Reed. Help teach these boys.  

Quote:Finding someone better shouldn't be very hard to do...

Might be harder than you think.  There are a few names that would be a better player as a QB but those options will cost even more money to sign on the FA market.  Henne is experienced and understands the game even he has some athletic limitations.  Once the line is settled and rest of the team comes together, he can get you through a couple of games in absolutely necessary conditions.  The only way to get cheaper is going young which is possible but you lose the experience as well as the knowledge of the system.  I don't see the benefit.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Ok, I understand this mentality with a lot of the players we have.  But just because we have cap space now, doesn't mean we will 3 years from now.  

What happens if Blake turns into the franchise guy we all hope him to be and we have to resign him to his second contract?  According to the market as of this year that means around $15-$18 mil per year.  What happens in that situation if the team is still paying guarantees from the end of contracts like Poz's and Henne's where they are grossly overpaid at the back end?  

That's why you cut ties with them before they become too expensive.  Henne is already paid too much money to be a backup QB.  Poz is paid waaaayyy too much to be an OK 2 down LB.  Need to cut ties with guys like that before the good cap situation we have now turns into a bad cap situation 3-4 years from now.

Quote:Henne is a capable back up QB. With this Swiss cheese oline we better have insurance at the QB position

So you think the Jaguars are winning games if Henne goes in behind that offensive line?

If you don't think that's going to be the case then why bother paying millions for a backup that won't accomplish anything different than any other league minimum backup.

THINK, MCFLY!

Quote:Bingo the last thing we need is to cut a veteran without a replacement. That's how we end up with rookies backing up 2nd year guys a recipe for disaster.
EXACTLY! I'm all for getting rid of players that under produce, but you can't just blindly cut players and then search for a replacement...What would happen if they cut Henne today and they could find no one better to take his place? Granted we aren't losing much, but we gain even less by just cutting him to get rid of him...I would suspect, they keep him at least through camp and most likely through next year until they find a better option

Cut Henne and sign Blaine Gabbert.

Quote:Given that Henne is already paid for, at this point there is no urgent need to go out and replace him. Since Fisch is gone, I would have to say that one of, perhaps the only, substantial reason for keeping Henne also departed. I don't know how much help Henne actually was with bringing BB2 along as a starting quarterback, so it's hard to say how much value Chad has from that angle.

The only thing that can be said about Chad is that with Fisch gone, his value as a quarterback here is diminished. Still, the man is paid for, so from a practical point of view there is no urgent need to replace him this season.

Henne hasn't been paid for yet. He's been paid for past performances and his bonuses, however, there's much in the way of base salary as of yet not paid. Releasing Henne would save the team $3.5 mil in 2015. Considering their chances of winning with Henne starting, I'd rather see someone clearly beat him out for the role.

'02

Quote:Cut Henne and sign Blaine Gabbert.

Sick

Now cut that out!

'02

I don't want to see Chad Henne play another down for the Jacksonville Jaguars.  

Good guy but I don't want him on the field for the Jaguars ever again.

Do you wanna sign Todd Bouman?
Come on just let him play
I never see much yield
From Henne on the field
Let's make him go away-
Todd was our backup quarterback
And now he's not
I wish you would tell me why!-
It doesn't have to be Todd Bouman.
Just some guy...

We've surely got the means!
I think some offense might be overdue
Or I might end up
supporting New Orleans-
(Hang in there, Drew!)
It gets a little boring
All these three and outs,

Just watching the downs fly by-
(Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock, Tic-Tock)

(Orchestral)

Caldwell?
Please, I know you're in there,
People are asking where you've been
They say "trust Dave", and I'm trying to
I'm right out here for you, just get Todd in
We passed on Roethlisberger
And Rodgers too
What are we trying to do?