Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gene Smith the Jaguars toughest opponent. Where is he now?

Quote:And Jack was also schitzo in that respect (your last sentence)......because, while he always liked to gamble on 4th down.....he also was in favor of some of the most conservative styles of play on both offense and defense. Jack's dream was winning every game 9-3, with 250 yards rushing and 100 passing. 

His rhetoric was always about how he wanted aggressive, wide open offense (remember his "no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust" comments??) But it was pretty much a bold faced lie, because thats exactly the kind of game that he liked. Actions spoke louder than words. 

In fairness, a coach can only use the players he has. Under Del Rio the Jags never had a great passer, nor much in the way of WRs. Even Jimmy Smith was winding down by that time, and there was no one opposite him. But he did have Fred and MJD.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'll give gene credit for 2 things:

Mjd extension (or lack of)

Tebow

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 10:50 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:In fairness, a coach can only use the players he has. Under Del Rio the Jags never had a great passer, nor much in the way of WRs. Even Jimmy Smith was winding down by that time, and there was no one opposite him. But he did have Fred and MJD.

I understand that. But with Jack - it was his philosophies. Conservative both on offense AND defense. Base vanilla 4-3 soft zone cover 2 defense.....and if you can't get pressure with the front 4?.....don't blitz or get creative with exotic looks....just stay the course and continue to be picked apart - how many QB wound up getting their best completion pct ever vs Jack's D? I know it was several. Brady set the NFL record vs us with 24-26.....and I know a few others over his years got relatively close to that. Wasn't Kurt Warner another?....

Quote:I'll give gene credit for 2 things:

Mjd extension (or lack of)

Tebow

I think Gene's 1st draft wasn't bad at all. 

It pretty much was downhill from there, though. 

His FA weren't too much better. But Poz has been decent.  

Quote:What was really terrible was the move to give up a future second rounder for Cox. 
And Gene said on the draft day conference, Cox is second round talent for his size , arm length etc and we just gave the next year's second meaning we get one year of production for a player for what they have given. What a Bull-[Bleep] ?

He himself didn't trust his philosophy. He wants to build from the draft and he always throws away future draft picks etc. In this way I give Dave credit (whether it works or not), he stayed the course and got Marquise Lee without moving up, being patient and stayed true to his draft philosophy. For the second round trade he did moveup for Robinson, he negotiated well to give only one late round pick. Dave has a great draft acumen manipulating the draft board moving up when needed without giving too much and getting the value. That's a  trait good GM will have.  Gene is very poor in that regard, he maybe a good scout when it comes to draft day his emotions probably get over him and he probably was not true to his scouting skills, i don't know. His drafts were so awful, if i have used ESPN's top 100 or NFL's top 100 prospect, I might have a better draft than Gene.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The Ironic thing about all of this, is that everyone here actually thought about 4 years ago that Gene Smith was building us up to be Superbowl contenders by 2012. And the whole "In Gene We Trust" thing, was way, way, over the top...

Sadly, I too bought into that propaganda, but this time I won't be fooled by Shad Khan.
I think things were already getting shaky with Gene for me in 2010, but I don't recall fully disliking him till after about 6 games of Gabbert. That was the worst time for this board. Mods were all behind Gene spouting 'In Gene We Trust' and bashing anyone who disagreed with the direction of the team. Del Rio was run off. Mularky was hired, which was an obvious bad hire at the time... Ugh you know what...I am so glad that 2012 is gone too. Shad changed this whole franchise for the better. I mean it is apparently obvious that we don't do things we used too. We draft what appear to be decent players (even if half bust, which just seem to be how it goes), at least we don't draft punters in the 3rd and Linemen no one knows in the 1st. Man, even if Dave is just average, it is so much better than what we had.

I am glad Weaver brought the Jags to Jacksonville, but he was a terrible owner for his last decade. Just kept making worse and worse decisions, and getting rid of bad personnel and replacing them with even worse personnel.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:And Gene said on the draft day conference, Cox is second round talent for his size , arm length etc and we just gave the next year's second meaning we get one year of production for a player for what they have given. What a Bull-[Bleep] ?

He himself didn't trust his philosophy. He wants to build from the draft and he always throws away future draft picks etc. In this way I give Dave credit (whether it works or not), he stayed the course and got Marquise Lee without moving up, being patient and stayed true to his draft philosophy. For the second round trade he did moveup for Robinson, he negotiated well to give only one late round pick. Dave has a great draft acumen manipulating the draft board moving up when needed without giving too much and getting the value. That's a  trait good GM will have.  Gene is very poor in that regard, he maybe a good scout when it comes to draft day his emotions probably get over him and he probably was not true to his scouting skills, i don't know. His drafts were so awful, if i have used ESPN's top 100 or NFL's top 100 prospect, I might have a better draft than Gene.

It is certain that you would, not might.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.