Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rookie Camping With FBT - 5/16/14

What I sort of gather from the films isn't so much that he doesn't understand the mechanics of good footwork as much as he just has a really superior sense of timing which overrides that desired form.  Like Big Ben.  His arm follows his mind's eye for exactly when to let the sucker fly in order to accomplish the completion.  On some highlights, it looked like he was throwing to a different receiver than the one who actually caught the ball.

He almost looks like a center-fielder throwing home to beat the runner.  Form takes a backseat to getting the ball there on time (as does a nice tight spiral).  His timing and delivery are what I like best about his skill-set.  

I'm sure his feet can be improved, but the problem is unlikely to ever go away completely.  

He really is a composite of so many outstanding Qbs.  The list of truly top-tier qualities that he brings to the table is long indeed.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:We'll since you just had to ask....

This was a write up done by Pete Prisco right after Gabbert's first rookie practice. I cringe reading this entire thing so I'll give you just a paragraph or two. Feel free to read the rest by yourself Sick

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15402181/gabbert-has-the-look-of-jacksonvilles-next-big-thing'>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15402181/gabbert-has-the-look-of-jacksonvilles-next-big-thing</a>

Sound familiar?

Disclaimer : I'm not comparing the two QBs just showing how 1 single practice means absolutely nothing in terms of a successful career.
It's part of the reason they drafted him.  He looks good in practice and fits that prototypical QB build.  He was clearly optimistic there, but I don't find anything he said was too crazy.  He had no idea that Gabbert wouldn't develop at all and that he'd crumble under the slightest bit of pressure.

Quote:What I sort of gather from the films isn't so much that he doesn't understand the mechanics of good footwork as much as he just has a really superior sense of timing which overrides that desired form.  Like Big Ben.  His arm follows his mind's eye for exactly when to let the sucker fly in order to accomplish the completion.  On some highlights, it looked like he was throwing to a different receiver than the one who actually caught the ball.

He almost looks like a center-fielder throwing home to beat the runner.  Form takes a backseat to getting the ball there on time (as does a nice tight spiral).  His timing and delivery are what I like best about his skill-set.  

I'm sure his feet can be improved, but the problem is unlikely to ever go away completely.  

He really is a composite of so many outstanding Qbs.  The list of truly top-tier qualities that he brings to the table is long indeed.  

Bortles readily admits he needs to work on quite a bit to become the QB everyone is hoping he'll become.  With proper coaching, he'll hopefully develop better habits.  I think that's one of the reasons they pushed him so much in the rookie camp.  They were coaching him through the reps, working on his footwork and other mechanics as part of the process.  He's taking extra reps after the practices to continue his improvement. 

One of the things they liked about Bortles was that he's coachable.  We'll see soon enough how right they were.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]