Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Babin Wants to Stay- Would Be Willing to Take A Paycut

I'd take him back at a paycut. He gives decent production but makes way more mental errors than a vet should.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd let him walk. We're getting Clowney anyways.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

He already has said he wants to be here, and at least the feeling is that he is willing to re-negotiate the deal. If that's the case, it may be worth keeping him around. Last I checked, nobody else has beaten his production the past couple seasons.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

He's the best pass rusher on a team desperate for a pass rush and he's willing to take a pay cut. Absolutely keep him around until we find someone better.

I think he could put up similar numbers next year as a rotational guy. His numbers seemed to take off once the offense started going and he has more chances to rush the passer. If he can come back at a modest salary I'd say bring him back

Too expensive

Too old.

Too many stupid penalties.

He's history!

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

At first, I thought Babin was going to bring jersey shore to Jacksonville and I wanted to punch him in the mouth. Since then, he's surprised me a lot and I think he's a good leader to have on this defense as it continues to develop and bring in younger players. I'd like him to stay at least one more season. 

I don't see him back.

He's due a lot of money, more money than he's worth.

If he comes back, it will be at a steep discount and solely as a safety net in case they don't feel they could reasonably find pass rushers this offseason.  So, I don't think he's likely to be back.  He doesn't fit the youth movement, and we've got a lot of picks this year.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Old and overpriced.  Time to move on and draft and develop players.  

Get rid of Babin and Lewis and you free up $12 M - plenty of money to get a real impact player. 

Babin placed 20 th among the D-Ends in sacks this year. If he would have had one more sack he would have been in 14 th place. Not bad.... Jags should bring him back next year for around 4 million.

His proneness for penalties did seem to taper off in the second half of the season.  Looks to me like he's adapting to the coaching regime and defensive schemes.  If he's willing to renegotiate, bring him back.

From the homepage:

The 10-year veteran defensive end said Monday he wants to return and that he has told Caldwell and Bradley as much. He can exercise a clause in his contract to become a free agent, but said he would be open to reaching a deal to return. "It's hard to express sometimes to people on the outside looking in is how great it is here, and what's being built – and what a privilege it is to be a part of the foundation, setting those early bricks," he said

I like him. I'd like to see him return as well. Branch showed flashes here and there but he still has to show consistency. Babin is at least somewhat consistent off the edge. And he has a certain presence and attitude that he carries very well and I think it fits Bradley's style of defense. Once our secondary improves with age and we start getting to the QB more from the OLB position I think this defense is going to return to the old Mike Smith like days of defense.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We are rebuilding.  As others as said unless it's at a steep discount as a rotational guy he is a goner.  The Jags can take that same money and use it towards someone younger and better in free agency/draft. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

He had 7.5 sacks, which is decent production and warrants sticking around, especially if we draft Clowney.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:He had 7.5 sacks, which is decent production and warrants sticking around, especially if we draft Clowney.

If he's willing to take a pay cut to stay, I think its a good idea to keep him Clowney or no Clowney. 

Like him or not, Babin led our team in QB sacks last year with 7.5

Less pay = likely more efficiency out of the deal, meaning better pay per production. 

I'm fine with a one or two year deal that pays under $2 million per year and no guarantees. Anything other than that, it's time to move on.