Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Important Is A Top Draft Pick?

Quote:Needs drafting and BAP drafting become more blended the further in the draft you go, based upon his 1st and 2nd round selections I'd consider Caldwell more BAP then he wants to admit. When we drafted Joeckel we didn't have a need at LT, so that was a BAP selection not a need selection.

David Caldwell knew Eugene Monroe had only one year left on his contract. Maybe (just guessing here) Monroe had already indicated somehow he would rather test the market than sign an extension after four years of losing. We will never know what Caldwell was thinking. But one thing we do know is the five defensive backs were not BAP picks because we needed all of them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:David Caldwell knew Eugene Monroe had only one year left on his contract. Maybe (just guessing here) Monroe had already indicated somehow he would rather test the market than sign an extension after four years of losing. We will never know what Caldwell was thinking. But one thing we do know is the five defensive backs were not BAP picks because we needed all of them.

I don't know if we where really a needs team I think we'd have drafted a DE, G or C in the draft. Especially with the over whelming options at #2 for a DE/LEO this year, we opted to take another LT while still having Monroe under contract. I'm not saying the move was good or bad, just pointing out how the first selection of this new front office kind of defines BAP.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I don't know if we where really a needs team I think we'd have drafted a DE, G or C in the draft. Especially with the over whelming options at #2 for a DE/LEO this year, we opted to take another LT while still having Monroe under contract. I'm not saying the move was good or bad, just pointing out how the first selection of this new front office kind of defines BAP.

And I am pointing out Caldwell was a needs drafter after that pick. I think he went both needs and BAP in the same draft.

I hope this year caldwell drafts linemen on both sides of the ball

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I hope this year Caldwell drafts linemen on both sides of the ball.

After the quarterback, of course.

Caldwell said he was considering drafting Josh Evans in the 3rd round if they didnt pick Cyp, he then passed over him in the 4th and 5th to select positions of a greater need. 

In reality it is neither strictly BAP or needs drafting, its when the value meets the need. 

Quote:Caldwell said he was considering drafting Josh Evans in the 3rd round if they didnt pick Cyp, he then passed over him in the 4th and 5th to select positions of a greater need. 

In reality it is neither strictly BAP or needs drafting, its when the value meets the need. 

I didn't know that about Evans, wonder why he was there so late in the draft if Caldwell considered him in the 3rd? That's a little concerning we could've severely over drafted the kid.

Quote:I didn't know that about Evans, wonder why he was there so late in the draft if Caldwell considered him in the 3rd? That's a little concerning we could've severely over drafted the kid.

Or, he was underdrafted ...

Quote:Or, he was underdrafted ...

NO, only works in negative ways.

Quote:NO, only works in negative ways.

time will tell, he wouldn't be the first to be under drafted, I'm just wondering out loud why a guy that was there in the 6th our GM thought about taking in the 3rd?

Quote:time will tell, he wouldn't be the first to be under drafted, I'm just wondering out loud why a guy that was there in the 6th our GM thought about taking in the 3rd?

Scheme fit most likely.

Quote:Scheme fit most likely.

but does that mean our need drafting is going to have us over evaluating guys because they fit a specific scheme? In theory I hate the idea of needs drafting for that reason, you're limiting the player pool causing us to over draft. I'm not saying that's the case just a worry I have about the new approach. I will say this last draft seems to be working out well and I'm happy with the results of who we've brought in so far.

Quote:but does that mean our need drafting is going to have us over evaluating guys because they fit a specific scheme? In theory I hate the idea of needs drafting for that reason, you're limiting the player pool causing us to over draft. I'm not saying that's the case just a worry I have about the new approach. I will say this last draft seems to be working out well and I'm happy with the results of who we've brought in so far.

Some yes some no. I'm fine drafting bap or need. You just have to evaluate correctly. Just have to hope Caldwell can do that

Quote:Some yes some no. I'm fine drafting bap or need. You just have to evaluate correctly. Just have to hope Caldwell can do that

I agree with that, either way works best if you evaluate correctly.

Quote:but does that mean our need drafting is going to have us over evaluating guys because they fit a specific scheme? In theory I hate the idea of needs drafting for that reason, you're limiting the player pool causing us to over draft. I'm not saying that's the case just a worry I have about the new approach. I will say this last draft seems to be working out well and I'm happy with the results of who we've brought in so far.

Every single in the team in the NFL evaluates based on their scheme. Some not as much as others, but they all do. This is why big press corners are undervalued to many teams who play a lot of off coverage. 

When the Cowboys draft board was leaked they had Gratz as a 3rd round safety I believe. Every team values players differently based on what they would ask them to do in their scheme. 

it doesnt matter as long as u hit on the pick

Quote:Some yes some no. I'm fine drafting bap or need. You just have to evaluate correctly. Just have to hope Caldwell can do that

I can see Caldwell drafting BAP in the first round again.......then need after that. Hopefully the O-line. Maybe even a RB.

Quote:I can see Caldwell drafting BAP in the first round again.......then need after that. Hopefully the O-line. Maybe even a RB.

If he picks Teddy Bridgewater, it will be because we need a better quarterback. If he picks Jadaveon Clowney, it is because we need a better defensive end. But both guys can easily be the BAP at the time we are on the clock. That is what I consider the ideal pick: the BAP fills a need.

Quote:If he picks Teddy Bridgewater, it will be because we need a better quarterback. If he picks Jadaveon Clowney, it is because we need a better defensive end. But both guys can easily be the BAP at the time we are on the clock. That is what I consider the ideal pick: the BAP fills a need.
If we have the 5th pick who do you recommend we take?

Quote:If we have the 5th pick who do you recommend we take?

I don't worry about that until after the Super Bowl.