Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles the next Justin Blackmon?

Quote:If Bortles was really out the night before the Raiders game drinking then he should be benched for that alone. That isn't a leader thinking about his team. That's just being selfish, man.

Didn't you know? Ice cream with sprinkles is a cure for a hangover.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM by Caldrac.)

That's what I find funny about some of these comments where "some of the fans probably go out and drink the night before work", etc. It's one thing to be an average joe that has a [BAD WORD REMOVED] desk job for a living and does the same paper pushing routine day in and day out. But you don't want to see a franchise QB out the night before a game closing a bar down. It'd be one thing if it was the night AFTER a Sunday game or a Monday practice. But to literally be out drinking and dehydrating yourself less than 12 hours before a game is just selfish and immature. That's not what a leader does. And, here's the other thing. If his late night adventures before game days ARE effecting his performances. Unlike the average Joe, he still gets to maintain his job for [BAD WORD REMOVED] poor performances for the time being at a much higher premium. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Is this a fact he was our drinking?
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:Is this a fact he was our drinking?

No, it's a rumor. But then again, FBT doesnt strike me as the type that would come on here and make something like that up.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Going out every night is too much. It will start to carry over into other parts of your life. Having a beer or two daily won't hurt you. Getting "wasted" will hurt you in more than one way.

Being a Jags player causes alcoholism/drug addiction.

Huh

Quote:Being a Jags player causes alcoholism/drug addiction.
Not to mention what it does the fans...

If I had to watch film of this team all week every week I'd get plastered every night too.

All jokes aside, I am an alcoholic, and I hope for Bortles' sake he doesn't choose the path that I did, and suffer the consequences I have.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016, 05:27 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:Blackmon's drinking issues weren't unknown to us when we drafted him. He had a DUI history coming out of college. We trusted that when he said the drinking wasn't a problem, he meant it.

Back to the stories, I think most of us have heard things about Blake's extracurricular activities. I have a good friend whose daughter is part of the ROAR. She hears all sorts of stories from her daughter that are indicative of a 24 year old single millionaire looking for a good time. Apparently, he's had a "special" relationship with at least one cheerleader, and has had his friends text another one who is engaged to see if she wanted to hook up for a late night booty call.

He's a 24 year old kid with no wife and extensive resources. He's not a saint by any means. Partying is something that wasn't an issue back in the day when guys like Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, or a host of other Jag players would host epic parties that became a thing of legends. I don't have a problem with the guys occasionally partying to blow off steam. What I hear quite a bit about Bortles is that he's a fixture at a few bars out at the beach, and was actually closing down a bar on Saturday night before the Raiders game.

Apparently he decided on Sunday night not to indulge because he was the first player in the stadium yesterday morning before 7:00 AM when the players weren't expected to report until 11.
I think drinking the night before an NFL game is alarming (if true) as a fan. And to the extent he is closing down the bar. That is pretty brash as well considering people can take pics and how things spread on social media. And I think, from what we can see, it's effecting his play.

As far as partying, that is fine and dandy. It was what I heard over a period of time and the consistency along with him either being unaware or not caring how public he is making it.

FBT, are you concerned? Do you think it is an issue? Was this the first you heard of him drinking like that before a game? Do you think local media is protecting him? Everyone is trying to figure out what is wrong with him. I'd wager this would be a big reason why.

Quote:This doesn't surprise me in the least bit. As I said earlier, my son worked at an establishment that Josh Scobee used to frequent, and he described him as drinking quite a bit a day (night) before a game. I've heard other stories of other players doing similar things.

People often forget that playing football at the professional level is a JOB. There are many people that will go out and party the night before having to go to work the following day.

Yeah, I disagree here. This is bigger than just a job. Him doing well directly effects others in the organization, not just himself. He is also supposed to be the leader of his team. Do you really think it is a good idea to close down a bar the night before a football game as the starting QB of an NFL team? I just can't imagine anyone thinking that's a good idea. Especially when you are playing like crap.

IF him closing down the bar the night before a game is true, that is a giant red flag and DC needs to address that immediately. If he was out having a beer relaxing that's different. But to be drunk the night before/morning of a big game shows that Bortles isn't the guy.

Quote:Agreed. It is just a job, and some of those who are most bothered by this probably indulge after work even on a work night.

For some reason, they seem to take the behavior of pro athletes more personally than they do their own.

I'm bothered by it because I want the team to win and have spent a lot of time, money and energy to see a really, really bad team. I can't imagine Dave Caldwell would be happy about it. Or Khan.

If he was playing well than even if someone brought it up no one would care. But he isn't and I can't imagine that is helping. He has more responsibility as an NFL starting QB than probably anyone on this message board. Is that fair? I'm sure people could argue that both ways, but it is reality. He also gets paid way more than any of us (unless there are some multimillionaire business owners on here which there maybe).

Quote:Yeah, I disagree here. This is bigger than just a job. Him doing well directly effects others in the organization, not just himself. He is also supposed to be the leader of his team. Do you really think it is a good idea to close down a bar the night before a football game as the starting QB of an NFL team? I just can't imagine anyone thinking that's a good idea. Especially when you are playing like crap.

I'm not really sure what you disagree with regarding my comment.

I never said that it was a good idea for a player to be drinking and/or closing down a bar the night before the game.  All I pointed out was the fact that my son happened to see it himself.  I also pointed out the fact that for a professional football player, playing is their JOB.  Contrary to what most fans think, going to practice and/or playing a game is "work" to them.  It's no different than the guy/gal in the office that goes out to the club the night before a big meeting.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

BB's job is also extremely physical and mental. Being hungover would diminish his ability to perform.

Most of us probably sit at desk all day and can still perform our jobs if we had 1 too many adult beverages the night before.

Quote:I'm bothered by it because I want the team to win and have spent a lot of time, money and energy to see a really, really bad team. I can't imagine Dave Caldwell would be happy about it. Or Khan.

If he was playing well than even if someone brought it up no one would care. But he isn't and I can't imagine that is helping. He has more responsibility as an NFL starting QB than probably anyone on this message board. Is that fair? I'm sure people could argue that both ways, but it is reality. He also gets paid way more than any of us (unless there are some multimillionaire business owners on here which there maybe).

I can understand people that are fans being upset, but it is what it is.

Regarding the first part in bold, no.

Regarding the second part in bold, what he gets paid is not relevant.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I'm not really sure what you disagree with regarding my comment.

I never said that it was a good idea for a player to be drinking and/or closing down a bar the night before the game. All I pointed out was the fact that my son happened to see it himself. I also pointed out the fact that for a professional football player, playing is their JOB. Contrary to what most fans think, going to practice and/or playing a game is "work" to them. It's no different than the guy/gal in the office that goes out to the club the night before a big meeting.

It is different. I'm not sure how you don't see the difference and in what manner they are the same.

Quote:I can understand people that are fans being upset, but it is what it is.

Regarding the first part in bold, no.

Regarding the second part in bold, what he gets paid is not relevant.

Everything is what it is. If you think Blake, our supposed franchise QB possibly having a drinking problem is ho-hum than so be it. I think it is a pretty big story and a pretty big deal. If true it could mean another rebuild and another draft trying to find a franchise QB setting us back another 3 to 4 years, but it is what it is.

Blake "Boozer" Bortles. For those that like alliteration.

If he continues playing poorly, Blake "Boozer Loser" Bortles. For those that like rhyming.

Quote:It is different. I'm not sure how you don't see the difference and in what manner they are the same.

Being a professional athlete as your occupation is no different than being an accountant.

Can I take a moment to point out that basically everyone has assumed Blake is an alcoholic based on rumors and hearsay? We literally got a post that is basically "a friend of a friend told me."