Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Wrist injury (merged threads)

Blake would of been a two time pro bowler if he he was not hurt and unable to accept the injury replacement position.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-01-2018, 07:00 PM)FBT Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 06:16 PM)Upper Wrote: Because upgrading QB is just about the only way we can get ahead by more than our opponents can at this point. Almost every team has more draft capital. Most have more cap space. Our schedule is getting a lot harder. Our division is getting much tougher. It's all but impossible to have such incredible injury luck again.

The rest of the league will be getting better by a factor larger than a decent tight end or guard will be helping us get better. Upgrading quarterback is the best way to stay ahead of the curve.

That's not even remotely true.  Putting more weapons on the field with Bortles will help this team significantly.  He got ten minutes from the Super Bowl with essentially nobody at WR that strikes fear in other teams. Add a play making tight end, help on the line, and a #1 receiver and we are talking about the Jags in the big game right now.

I didn't say it wouldn't help us significantly, I said it wouldn't help us as much as other teams are going to help themselves. Almost every team is going to be able to spend more money, almost every team is going to be able to draft players higher, and almost every team is going to get more injured players back. Of course we assume we are going to get better, and maybe we do, but if you look at it on a scale it's hard to argue that we are going to get better by a factor greater than the rest of the teams will.

QBs break the scale though, obviously. Upgrading at QB could overcome those 5 factors that are working against us.

Jaguars front office is going to have an offseason theme of "Bringing on the Heartbreak" Going to be a bunch of people disappointed this offseason. I'm sure they will do everything they can to upgrade and improve but it will be a challenge. We have a major drop in draft position and less cap money. We shall see and it will be an interesting off season.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I asked Jonn O if he had any idea of how Blake's wrist injury affected his performance during the year and John replied he never had any indication that there was a problem with it during the season.  Looking back to the Fred Taylor injury during the Coughlin coaching days when Fred had a major injury that was never addressed by the coaching staff and as a result, Fred was labeled fragile Fred.  Tom later admitted he should have made it clear that Fred's injury was far more serious than reported. During a recent interview with Doug Marrone, He stated that he was informed that Blake had no pain and was 100% ready for the upcoming season after his surgery.  Doug commented that tough players always give short answers of I'm fine and that usually means just the opposite.) It leads one to wonder how much the throwing arm injury affected Blake during the season. Certainly, If surgery was needed it was more then just a ding and his comment of no pain would indicate he had to push through it to finish the season. During the year he had his ups and downs passing and it is reasonable to assume it was aggravated during games as he was sacked and tackled.  Did this result in poor performances after the injured wrist was further aggravated from the previous week or during the game? 
So all the posters throwing Blake under the bus Might take a step back and wait to see the results this year from a healthy quarterback this year.  It's funny how his injury never seemed to come up other than him not practicing during some weekdays during the season. Leaves one to wonder if the team was downplaying Blakes injury.

(03-30-2018, 10:11 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: I asked Jonn O if he had any idea of how Blake's wrist injury affected his performance during the year and John replied he never had any indication that there was a problem with it during the season.  Looking back to the Fred Taylor injury during the Coughlin coaching days when Fred had a major injury that was never addressed by the coaching staff and as a result, Fred was labeled fragile Fred.  Tom later admitted he should have made it clear that Fred's injury was far more serious than reported. During a recent interview with Doug Marrone, He stated that he was informed that Blake had no pain and was 100% ready for the upcoming season after his surgery.  Doug commented that tough players always give short answers of I'm fine and that usually means just the opposite.) It leads one to wonder how much the throwing arm injury affected Blake during the season. Certainly, If surgery was needed it was more then just a ding and his comment of no pain would indicate he had to push through it to finish the season. During the year he had his ups and downs passing and it is reasonable to assume it was aggravated during games as he was sacked and tackled.  Did this result in poor performances after the injured wrist was further aggravated from the previous week or during the game? 
So all the posters throwing Blake under the bus Might take a step back and wait to see the results this year from a healthy quarterback this year.  It's funny how his injury never seemed to come up other than him not practicing during some weekdays during the season. Leaves one to wonder if the team was downplaying Blakes injury.

I knew this would eventually come up.

"Bortles was injured or he would have played better"

We'll see...

I do know that he often looks like he's in pain/wincing when he throws the ball. 

It's possible that the surgery could help relieve that and aid him in taking the next step with his release. Maybe even allow him to get a bit more spin/less wobble. 

Here's hoping that's the case. It could end up helping his accuracy a bit. Pure speculation here though.

(03-30-2018, 10:18 AM)Kane Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 10:11 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: I asked Jonn O if he had any idea of how Blake's wrist injury affected his performance during the year and John replied he never had any indication that there was a problem with it during the season.  Looking back to the Fred Taylor injury during the Coughlin coaching days when Fred had a major injury that was never addressed by the coaching staff and as a result, Fred was labeled fragile Fred.  Tom later admitted he should have made it clear that Fred's injury was far more serious than reported. During a recent interview with Doug Marrone, He stated that he was informed that Blake had no pain and was 100% ready for the upcoming season after his surgery.  Doug commented that tough players always give short answers of I'm fine and that usually means just the opposite.) It leads one to wonder how much the throwing arm injury affected Blake during the season. Certainly, If surgery was needed it was more then just a ding and his comment of no pain would indicate he had to push through it to finish the season. During the year he had his ups and downs passing and it is reasonable to assume it was aggravated during games as he was sacked and tackled.  Did this result in poor performances after the injured wrist was further aggravated from the previous week or during the game? 

I knew this would eventually come up.

We'll see...
It is a valid issue to consider being he needed surgery. I didn't claim it was an issue just that it merits consideration.

You can say what you want about Bortles. But he really is one tough son of a [BLEEP] for the position. I've always respected that quality about him. He probably loads up on Budlight after practice or on weekends and walks it off at the beach. Can't blame the guy. We all have our way of "self medicating" when it comes to pain. If he was injured last year it didn't seem to bother him too much. He had his best season yet here. Hopefully he can keep building off that.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM by dennisp3.)

(03-30-2018, 10:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote: You can say what you want about Bortles. But he really is one tough son of a [BLEEP] for the position. I've always respected that quality about him. He probably loads up on Budlight after practice or on weekends and walks it off at the beach. Can't blame the guy. We all have our way of "self medicating" when it comes to pain. If he was injured last year it didn't seem to bother him too much. He had his best season yet here. Hopefully he can keep building off that.
I think there was some indication of a problem as he had some very good games and some scratch you're head passes in games.

I am not trying to make excuses for Blake but as you said he is one tough bleep and we will probably never really know how much it affected him until some day after his playing days are over and he would be more inclined to address the issue.

(03-30-2018, 10:29 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(03-30-2018, 10:18 AM)Kane Wrote: I knew this would eventually come up.

We'll see...
It is a valid issue to consider being he needed surgery. I didn't claim it was an issue just that it merits consideration.

Yeah I hear ya man... I wasn't trying to be combative or argumentative. But when it was first reported I remember thinking that some people would come out and be like "see he was injured that's why he wasn't playing as well"
Yet... he had good games and bad after the wrist injury became a story. So was it bothering him more some games than others... IDK....

I'm all about giving him the benefit of the doubt, considering he played well for the most part despite whatever severity of the injury.

Is Blake going to build on last year and be our QB of the future? Idk. He's got the potential. We all know about the wrist injury and it may or may not have had a big impact. It's a wait and see.

I don't know if he's a franchise guy, but I'd go to war with him any day.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Blake started out the season ok. He threw a lot in the Bears game and was doing ok that game, but after that game, his arm was shot. I even pondered if he might have whacked his arm right at the tail end of the game. The next several games he looked really bad, and he said himself that he then injured his arm in the Titans game. For several weeks after that, he couldn't do much at all, and I don't really think he started looking like himself passing until December. 
'02

I thought Oesher answered a question like this right after the season where he said that the injury did not have any significant affect on Bortles ability to throw. Does anyone else remember that?
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(03-30-2018, 12:18 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: I thought Oesher answered a question like this right after the season where he said that the injury did not have any significant affect on Bortles ability to throw.  Does anyone else remember that?

I can neither confirm or deny that statement.
Huh

(03-30-2018, 12:18 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: I thought Oesher answered a question like this right after the season where he said that the injury did not have any significant affect on Bortles ability to throw.  Does anyone else remember that?

I vaguely remember that.
But fresh on my brain is the fact that often Johnny O talks out of his bottom. And without being on the coach staff or being Bortles he really wouldn't know anything more than what he was told. And of course coaches and players downplay the crap out of stuff like that.

(03-30-2018, 01:57 PM)Kane Wrote:

I vaguely remember that.
But fresh on my brain is the fact that often Johnny O talks out of his bottom. And without being on the coach staff or being Bortles he really wouldn't know anything more than what he was told. And of course coaches and players downplay the crap out of stuff like that.

I remember thinking, "open your eyes Johnny O." 
'02

(03-30-2018, 10:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote: You can say what you want about Bortles. But he really is one tough son of a [BLEEP] for the position. I've always respected that quality about him. He probably loads up on Budlight after practice or on weekends and walks it off at the beach. Can't blame the guy. We all have our way of "self medicating" when it comes to pain. If he was injured last year it didn't seem to bother him too much. He had his best season yet here. Hopefully he can keep building off that.

Budlight? Do you think he really drinks that trash beer?

I think it may have had a minor effect. But in his poor games a lot of times he makes mental errors not easily attributed to a physical injury. Nobody really knows the extent of any pain he played through other than Blake.

(03-30-2018, 10:20 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I do know that he often looks like he's in pain/wincing when he throws the ball. 

It's possible that the surgery could help relieve that and aid him in taking the next step with his release. Maybe even allow him to get a bit more spin/less wobble. 

Here's hoping that's the case. It could end up helping his accuracy a bit. Pure speculation here though.

No, we look like we are in pain/wincing when Bortles throws the ball.  Laughing

01-30-2018, 03:26 PM

Is this surgery thread a composite of the bb5 injury thread
“You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
“If you find a way to motivate an idiot you have a motivated idiot”