Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags decline to pick up Dante Fowler's fifth-year option

(05-04-2018, 10:58 AM)Markulous Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is the price to pay for bringing in so many expensive free agents. Yes, we get better immediately, but it also forces us to make tough decisions regarding other really good players. This was no surprise at all. We probably aren't going to re-sign him, because it's just too expensive. We certainly won't tag him, because that's even more costly. The only real decision is whether to trade him and try to get a first or second round pick or to let him walk, and receiver a 3rd rounder as compensation. To me, this is a no-brainer. It would take a miracle for him to be back in a Jags uniform after the 2018 season.

Yeah, big FAs that continue at a high level will pretty much bump up a team quickly.  It's up to them drafting well to sustain this success, which outside of 2013 and 2015, our drafts have looked pretty solid so far, so there's that.

The problem is once those drafted players reach some success, their contractual demands will reach a level where you just can't keep everybody. It's a double edged sword. You feel positive about drafting well, but it also hurts to see us have to let go of guys that have reached that success, because you just know they're going to go to another team and possibly become a star. I can't remember another time in the history of the franchise, when we were faced with the possibility of having to let a guy walk, when he was just beginning to reach his peak potential.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don’t see a way they don’t restructure or release Dareus. He gots his payday when he was hitting the QB much more often. I don’t see him taking less than 10 mil a year, but a couple other restructures may allow us to keep the core group of players together for another season or two.

I don’t want to spend whatever money we have on Fowler. He had a couple really nice games, but I’m worried that it’s from being an OK player taking advantage of playing around great players. Those kind of players are more easily replaceable.

(05-04-2018, 02:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:58 AM)Markulous Wrote: Yeah, big FAs that continue at a high level will pretty much bump up a team quickly.  It's up to them drafting well to sustain this success, which outside of 2013 and 2015, our drafts have looked pretty solid so far, so there's that.

The problem is once those drafted players reach some success, their contractual demands will reach a level where you just can't keep everybody. It's a double edged sword. You feel positive about drafting well, but it also hurts to see us have to let go of guys that have reached that success, because you just know they're going to go to another team and possibly become a star. I can't remember another time in the history of the franchise, when we were faced with the possibility of having to let a guy walk, when he was just beginning to reach his peak potential.

You never want to do let a guy walk when he's peaking. I recall back in the day how Bill Walsh would ride out players to always get their best. While they were peaking they were on the 49ers, but then he always knew right when to let them walk. Time and time again they'd let guys walk, or trade guys, to another team who would watch the player as his skills started to decline. He just knew right when the players were going to start their downhill regression, and poof they were gone.

'02

(05-04-2018, 02:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:58 AM)Markulous Wrote: Yeah, big FAs that continue at a high level will pretty much bump up a team quickly.  It's up to them drafting well to sustain this success, which outside of 2013 and 2015, our drafts have looked pretty solid so far, so there's that.

It's a good problem to have but it's not very typical. GMs aren't so awesome they hit on that many picks. You also don't have to have all pro players at every position. This is probably the first year in our franchise where we are drafting well, picking up quality free agents, and are looking at a pass rusher that MAY be really good that could walk.

(05-04-2018, 10:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is the price to pay for bringing in so many expensive free agents. Yes, we get better immediately, but it also forces us to make tough decisions regarding other really good players.

I have no doubt we will be able to keep our really good players. Ramsey, Yannick, Jack...have zero doubts we'll keep them. We're talking about Fowler here though.

Fowler will never reach his potential as long as Campbell is playing LDE.
I wish they would let him play SAM/DE combo depending on whether they are in base 4-3 or nickel.

(05-04-2018, 05:11 PM)Upper Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is the price to pay for bringing in so many expensive free agents. Yes, we get better immediately, but it also forces us to make tough decisions regarding other really good players.

I have no doubt we will be able to keep our really good players. Ramsey, Yannick, Jack...have zero doubts we'll keep them. We're talking about Fowler here though.

Absolutely. Fowler still has a lot of improving to do before I'd be at all concerned with not retaining him.

(05-04-2018, 09:00 PM)wg171 Wrote: Fowler will never reach his potential as long as Campbell is playing LDE.
I wish they would let him play SAM/DE combo depending on whether they are in base 4-3 or nickel.

I dont remember Campbell playing LDE

(05-04-2018, 09:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 09:00 PM)wg171 Wrote: Fowler will never reach his potential as long as Campbell is playing LDE.

I dont remember Campbell playing LDE

Say what?  
Campbell took LOTS of snaps from the strong side end position. Is that not the same (typically) as "LDE?"

(05-04-2018, 10:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 09:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont remember Campbell playing LDE

Say what?  
Campbell took LOTS of snaps from the strong side end position. Is that not the same (typically) as "LDE?"

I always seen him play right end and kicked inside on passing downs.

(05-04-2018, 10:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:16 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Say what?  

I always seen him play right end and kicked inside on passing downs.

I've always seen RDE referred to as the weakside "finesse rusher" and the LDE referred to as the strongside "big end" rusher who is usually relied on to be more stout in run support. 

You seem to be simply calling the big end the RDE for some reason. This is why I like to use strong/weak instead of L/R.

(05-04-2018, 10:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I always seen him play right end and kicked inside on passing downs.

I've always seen RDE referred to as the weakside "finesse rusher" and the LDE referred to as the strongside "big end" rusher who is usually relied on to be more stout in run support. 

You seem to be simply calling the big end the RDE for some reason. This is why I like to use strong/weak instead of L/R.
I guess if they just line up in the strong or weak side at all times.  Gus is gone though, Campbell did play on the left side some but for the most part he was on the right side on early downs whether it was the weak side or strong side.  So you considered Bruce Smith and Reggie White " finesse rushers" and Michael Strahan the "big end"?

(05-04-2018, 11:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've always seen RDE referred to as the weakside "finesse rusher" and the LDE referred to as the strongside "big end" rusher who is usually relied on to be more stout in run support. 

I guess if they just line up in the strong or weak side at all times.  Gus is gone though, Campbell did play on the left side some but for the most part he was on the right side on early downs whether it was the weak side or strong side.  So you considered Bruce Smith and Reggie White " finesse rushers" and Michael Strahan the "big end"?

LOL

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.  There are lots of versions of similar schemes out there historically that were wisely tailored to the talent available to them. We aren't talking about those. 

In TODD WASH'S Jacksonville Jaguars defense there is a big end position. His words. Not mine.
 He still uses that term  - as recently as last week when talking about Taven Bryan's versatility. 
Campbell plays there very frequently. 
It is very often also over the strong side of the formation. 
You go ahead and call it whatever the hell you want.  I was simply trying to find out what you meant by RDE.

(05-04-2018, 11:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 11:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I guess if they just line up in the strong or weak side at all times.  Gus is gone though, Campbell did play on the left side some but for the most part he was on the right side on early downs whether it was the weak side or strong side.  So you considered Bruce Smith and Reggie White " finesse rushers" and Michael Strahan the "big end"?

LOL

Stop trying to put words in my mouth.  There are lots of versions of similar schemes out there historically that were wisely tailored to the talent available to them. We aren't talking about those. 

In TODD WASH'S Jacksonville Jaguars defense there is a big end position. His words. Not mine.
 He still uses that term  - as recently as last week when talking about Taven Bryan's versatility. 
Campbell plays there very frequently. 
It is very often also over the strong side of the formation. 
You go ahead and call it whatever the hell you want.  I was simply trying to find out what you meant by RDE.
LOL.  Asking a question isn't putting words in your mouth.  I call RDE the end on the right side.  Campbell plays on that side most of the time whether it's the strong or the weak side is what I was saying.  I know he did play on the left side some but not very often.

I dont care where he lines up as long as hes causing havoc

(05-04-2018, 11:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: ...I call RDE the end on the right side.  Campbell plays on that side most of the time whether it's the strong or the weak side is what I was saying.  I know he did play on the left side some but not very often.

I think you have the two sides confused. Yannick is typically the RDE as he squared off against the other team's LT. Campbell is typically the LDE and squared off against the other team's RT.

I'm not sure what you were thinking, but hopefully this clears it up.

I don't even recall a single play where either of the two switched sides. I'd have to see proof of that to believe Campbell ever played RDE or that Yannick ever played LDE. 
'02

(05-05-2018, 08:20 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 11:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: ...I call RDE the end on the right side.  Campbell plays on that side most of the time whether it's the strong or the weak side is what I was saying.  I know he did play on the left side some but not very often.

I think you have the two sides confused. Yannick is typically the RDE as he squared off against the other team's LT. Campbell is typically the LDE and squared off against the other team's RT.

I don't even recall a single play where either of the two switched sides. I'd have to see proof of that to believe Campbell ever played RDE or that Yannick ever played LDE. 

Sounds like he doesn't know what he was talking about haha
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2018, 08:41 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Campbell usually goes against the LT

(05-05-2018, 08:33 AM)Achilles Wrote:

Sounds like he doesn't know what he was talking about haha

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/JAX

(05-05-2018, 08:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(05-05-2018, 08:33 AM)Achilles Wrote: Sounds like he doesn't know what he was talking about haha

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/JAX

What games are you watching?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-05-2018, 08:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I think you have the two sides confused. Yannick is typically the RDE as he squared off against the other team's LT. 

Huh
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/3851918...f.gif.html
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/3851921...2.gif.html
https://www.turboimagehost.com/p/3851928...3.gif.html

I'm sure I can make you you well over 100 gifs with Campbell lined up this way.  
And yes, they absolutely did switch sides according to TE/RB formations and simply to take advantage of match-ups. 
For instance they wanted Ngakoue against the RT vs Tennessee, and they wanted Campbell against the LT in L.A. 
Of course Campbell also got lots of pressure and a number of sacks from the DT spot too, but he played LOTS of snaps versus the RT.