Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dilla’s saying Schobert to the Steelers

(08-13-2021, 09:11 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 08:49 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: It's not Whining but it's horrible giving up a starter or at the very least a good depth guy for a 6th round pick.  We still have plenty of unused cap space so  it makes no sense to be a cap casualty.  Bad move but it is what it is.

Arrived on cue!

Sorry but some of us have a brain and don't just go with the status quo.  You were probably on Dave Caldwell's jock too.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-13-2021, 08:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1426295515180847104

Unfortunately, this is the kinda crap move, I expected from Trent Baalke. No one is gonna ever convince me that he couldn't have gotten at least a 5th round pick for Schobert. Only getting a 6th rounder makes this a dumb move. Even if he was riding the bench behind the starters, (which he should be behind Jack and Wilson,) he would have provided good depth along with Shaquille Quarterman. Now Quarterman is our only decent backup ILB with Dylan Moses out. I'd rather have Schobert as an extremely overpaid backup rather that giving him away like we did. This move was all done for optics. They didn't want a guy making that much money in a backup role, even if it meant costing us valuable depth and getting robbed in the process. We are now an injury or two away from disaster at the ILB position and all we got for it was a 6th rounder who probably won't even make the team. 

We all know Dave Caldwell couldn't draft or get along with players worth a crap, but what he did excel at was getting value back in trades. Apparently, Baalke learned nothing from him in this regard. I hate this move. I don't think we shopped Schobert at all. I bet the Steelers made an offer out of the blue and Baalke took the first thing he got offered. He probably pays sticker price for his cars.

(08-14-2021, 12:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 08:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1426295515180847104

Unfortunately, this is the kinda crap move, I expected from Trent Baalke. No one is gonna ever convince me that he couldn't have gotten at least a 5th round pick for Schobert. Only getting a 6th rounder makes this a dumb move. Even if he was riding the bench behind the starters, (which he should be behind Jack and Wilson,) he would have provided good depth along with Shaquille Quarterman. Now Quarterman is our only decent backup ILB with Dylan Moses out. I'd rather have Schobert as an extremely overpaid backup rather that giving him away like we did. This move was all done for optics. They didn't want a guy making that much money in a backup role, even if it meant costing us valuable depth and getting robbed in the process. We are now an injury or two away from disaster at the ILB position and all we got for it was a 6th rounder who probably won't even make the team. 

We all know Dave Caldwell couldn't draft or get along with players worth a crap, but what he did excel at was getting value back in trades. Apparently, Baalke learned nothing from him in this regard. I hate this move. I don't think we shopped Schobert at all. I bet the Steelers made an offer out of the blue and Baalke took the first thing he got offered. He probably pays sticker price for his cars.
It's funny to me that you're whining about the difference between a 5th and 6th rounder. It was a salary dump, the fact we got anything was surprising

(08-14-2021, 02:19 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 12:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Unfortunately, this is the kinda crap move, I expected from Trent Baalke. No one is gonna ever convince me that he couldn't have gotten at least a 5th round pick for Schobert. Only getting a 6th rounder makes this a dumb move. Even if he was riding the bench behind the starters, (which he should be behind Jack and Wilson,) he would have provided good depth along with Shaquille Quarterman. Now Quarterman is our only decent backup ILB with Dylan Moses out. I'd rather have Schobert as an extremely overpaid backup rather that giving him away like we did. This move was all done for optics. They didn't want a guy making that much money in a backup role, even if it meant costing us valuable depth and getting robbed in the process. We are now an injury or two away from disaster at the ILB position and all we got for it was a 6th rounder who probably won't even make the team. 

It's funny to me that you're whining about the difference between a 5th and 6th rounder. It was a salary dump, the fact we got anything was surprising

It was a salary dump and it was stupid, since we are way under the cap anyway and didn't need the cap relief. It also only leaves us with Quarterman as a capable backup at ILB. Not to mention that 5th rounders normally make the roster 81.1% of the time. That drops to 70% for 6th round picks. That is a steep drop off.

(08-13-2021, 09:33 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I am very iffy on Baalke but to get a 6th for a LB with that contract... like it.

Yeah you could be right. My initial reaction was surprise but if it turned out the guy might not have been starting after all anyway (or so I’ve seen speculated) then why not trade the guy and get some comp rather than carry that salary for a backup.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 06:04 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

If you get rid of a player that you signed in free agency, but in the process you gain enough salary cap space to sign an identical player in free agency at some point in the future, what have you lost?  Nothing, really.  It's dumping an asset (Schobert) and a liability (his contract) at the same time.   If the liability is equal to the asset, then eliminating both of them does not generate any loss.  

It's like if you have a car that worth $20,000 on the open market, but you have a car loan in the amount of $20,000.  So you sell it to someone for zero as long as they take over the payments.  There's no loss there.  

There will be plenty of backup-quality ILBs after the preseason cuts that depth won't be a problem.

I don't believe Schobert's trade was purely a salary cap dump. I think the new coaching staff reviewed the tape from last year and saw issues in his play, likely in the run game where they have been targeting improvement. Wilson was brought in as a thumping veteran with experience, and was determined to be outplaying him. The staff has been impressed also with the developing 23 year old Quarterman, also known as a thumper and in a rookie deal. Letting Schobert go and picking up whatever draft compensation could be had makes sense, and the cap savings, although not needed or imperative, is the icing on the decision.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 07:59 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-14-2021, 02:40 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 02:19 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: It's funny to me that you're whining about the difference between a 5th and 6th rounder. It was a salary dump, the fact we got anything was surprising

It was a salary dump and it was stupid, since we are way under the cap anyway and didn't need the cap relief. It also only leaves us with Quarterman as a capable backup at ILB. Not to mention that 5th rounders normally make the roster 81.1% of the time. That drops to 70% for 6th round picks. That is a steep drop off.

So, he was part of the future plans?  His trade is going to cost us the playoffs this year?  Even if he is on the team THIS year, he was gonna get cut next year.  Give the young guys playing time.  They got SOMETHING for him.  He was not part of this regime's plans.  The outrage is a tad ridiculous.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 08:15 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-14-2021, 07:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 02:40 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It was a salary dump and it was stupid, since we are way under the cap anyway and didn't need the cap relief. It also only leaves us with Quarterman as a capable backup at ILB. Not to mention that 5th rounders normally make the roster 81.1% of the time. That drops to 70% for 6th round picks. That is a steep drop off.

So, he was part of the future plans?  His trade is going to cost us the playoffs this year?  Even if he is on the team THIS year, he was gonna get cut next year.  Give the young guys playing time.  They got SOMETHING for him.  He was not part of this regime's plans.  The outrage is a tad ridiculous.

We were never in the playoff discussion. Being realistic, this is year 1 of a 2-3 year rebuild, no matter what Urban Meyer says. If Schobert was gonna get cut next year, then you trade him next year when we will presumably have Jack, Wilson (I'm assuming he plays well enough to get a contract extension if the coaching staff likes him this much), Quarterman and a healthy Dylan Moses. We'll also have a full batch of draft picks where we can add players at positions of need. You don't give him away now, when we only have one good backup ILB. Some of you guys are just assuming we can go out and get a decent ILB after roster cuts. That's not always the case. If guys were decent players, they most likely won't get cut. I'm just being prepared. We always suffer key injuries at a variety of positions and we should carry at least 2 decent backup ILB's. I was no fan of Schobert by any means, but he provided depth at ILB which is something we rarely have at any position. Why give away depth?

(08-14-2021, 02:40 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 02:19 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: It's funny to me that you're whining about the difference between a 5th and 6th rounder. It was a salary dump, the fact we got anything was surprising

It's never too early to start managing your salary cap wisely.   Savings can be carried over from one year to the next.   And in the very near future, we're going to have to give contract extensions to players at the end of their rookie contracts.   So even though we "didn't need the cap relief" (right now), that doesn't mean we ought to pay that kind of salary to a guy who isn't quite worth it and might wind up splitting time with Wilson.  

The Bills traded us Marcel Darius for a conditional 6th round pick.  He was a very good player, but he had a huge contract and he didn't fit their future plans.  I thought they were crazy at the time, but it worked out for them.  They cleared a ton of cap space and used the money elsewhere.   You can't hold onto guys with big contracts if the don't fit your overall plan.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 08:20 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-14-2021, 08:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 07:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote: So, he was part of the future plans?  His trade is going to cost us the playoffs this year?  Even if he is on the team THIS year, he was gonna get cut next year.  Give the young guys playing time.  They got SOMETHING for him.  He was not part of this regime's plans.  The outrage is a tad ridiculous.

We were never in the playoff discussion. Being realistic, this is year 1 of a 2-3 year rebuild, no matter what Urban Meyer says. If Schobert was gonna get cut next year, then you trade him next year when we will presumably have Jack, Wilson (I'm assuming he plays well enough to get a contract extension if the coaching staff likes him this much), Quarterman and a healthy Dylan Moses. We'll also have a full batch of draft picks where we can add players at positions of need. You don't give him away now, when we only have one good backup ILB. Some of you guys are just assuming we can go out and get a decent ILB after roster cuts. That's not always the case. If guys were decent players, they most likely won't get cut. I'm just being prepared. We always suffer key injuries at a variety of positions and we should carry at least 2 decent backup ILB's. I was no fan of Schobert by any means, but he provided depth at ILB which is something we rarely have at any position. Why give away depth?

And so what if we suffer injuries at LB?  So what?  You said yourself we are not in the playoff discussion.  What is it costing  not having him as 'a high priced backup'?  Zero.  Nada.  Zilch.  As I said, the outrage is ridiculous.  Some people just look for things to be pissed about.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 08:30 AM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-14-2021, 08:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 02:40 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It was a salary dump and it was stupid, since we are way under the cap anyway and didn't need the cap relief. It also only leaves us with Quarterman as a capable backup at ILB. Not to mention that 5th rounders normally make the roster 81.1% of the time. That drops to 70% for 6th round picks. That is a steep drop off.

It's never too early to start managing your salary cap wisely.   Savings can be carried over from one year to the next.   And in the very near future, we're going to have to give contract extensions to players at the end of their rookie contracts.   So even though we "didn't need the cap relief" (right now), that doesn't mean we ought to pay that kind of salary to a guy who isn't quite worth it and might wind up splitting time with Wilson.  

The Bills traded us Marcel Darius for a conditional 6th round pick.  He was a very good player, but he had a huge contract and he didn't fit their future plans.  I thought they were crazy at the time, but it worked out for them.  They cleared a ton of cap space and used the money elsewhere.   You can't hold onto guys with big contracts if the don't fit your overall plan.

But we currently have tons of cap space. Cap space is not an issue at this point. I agree, once important players start coming up for contract extensions, you have to be very frugal. Especially since I believe Lawrence is gonna command one of those $200+ million contracts in about 3 years. Right now, we are in very good shape though. Right now, we should be worried about getting Lawrence comfortable on the field and that means putting the best team around him on offense and defense. Depth is a big part of that equation. I don't care if Schobert was gonna be the 3rd ILB. You need to keep 4 decent ones in a 3-4 scheme. 

So because the Bills made a blunder getting nearly nothing for Darius, we should repeat their mistake? That makes no sense. They got "hosed" on that deal, which was good for us. I'd rather have depth now, and trade Schobert next year. We probably could've probably gotten more for him after the season as none of his contract would have been fully guaranteed in 2022. That would have been a lot easier for other teams to absorb and there would presumably have been more interest.

(08-14-2021, 08:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's never too early to start managing your salary cap wisely.   Savings can be carried over from one year to the next.   And in the very near future, we're going to have to give contract extensions to players at the end of their rookie contracts.   So even though we "didn't need the cap relief" (right now), that doesn't mean we ought to pay that kind of salary to a guy who isn't quite worth it and might wind up splitting time with Wilson.  

But we currently have tons of cap space. Cap space is not an issue at this point. I agree, once important players start coming up for contract extensions, you have to be very frugal. Especially since I believe Lawrence is gonna command one of those $200+ million contracts in about 3 years. Right now, we are in very good shape though. Right now, we should be worried about getting Lawrence comfortable on the field and that means putting the best team around him on offense and defense. Depth is a big part of that equation. I don't care if Schobert was gonna be the 3rd ILB. You need to keep 4 decent ones in a 3-4 scheme. 

So because the Bills made a blunder getting nearly nothing for Darius, we should repeat their mistake? That makes no sense. They got "hosed" on that deal, which was good for us. I'd rather have depth now, and trade Schobert next year. We probably could've probably gotten more for him after the season as none of his contract would have been fully guaranteed in 2022. That would have been a lot easier for other teams to absorb and there would presumably have been more interest.

I disagree with your stance on cap space.   We can say with 100% certainty that at some point in the next few years, we will be over the cap and have to rearrange things to get back under it.  So the time to start saving cap space is now.   A $10 million savings (or whatever Schobert's contract is) right now can be carried into the future.  And I guarantee you, at some point in the future, we will be glad we saved that money.   Because that will be one less guy we will have to cut in the future when we really need him.   

You should NEVER carry a bad contract just because you have cap space.  Because that wasted money will come back to bite you in the future.

(08-14-2021, 08:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:15 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: It's never too early to start managing your salary cap wisely.   Savings can be carried over from one year to the next.   And in the very near future, we're going to have to give contract extensions to players at the end of their rookie contracts.   So even though we "didn't need the cap relief" (right now), that doesn't mean we ought to pay that kind of salary to a guy who isn't quite worth it and might wind up splitting time with Wilson.  

But we currently have tons of cap space. 

Yeah but we still have a Chark contract and a Josh Allen contract on the horizon.
And you never know how aggressive they wanna me in free agency next year.
Or perhaps a Thomas trade... (Not that I'm hoping for that really)

All I remember is that there were plenty of people whining about signing Schobert last year. Said it was expensive, it was chasing need, said the guy was overpaid, used it as proof Caldwell was worthless. Now getting at least something for the guy who was about to be the most overpaid player on the team is somehow a bad move. Sent out of the division to a team we don't play this year.

I think we all agree the guy was overpaid, and would then be overpaid to ride the pine if he stayed. Guys, it may not seem that way, but we got market price. We'll know later this year if it was us or the Steelers that got the better end of the deal. I haven't visited the Pittsburgh site, but I would guess they aren't jumping up and down over this trade.

I wish Schobert luck with his new team and still hope the Steelers implode.

(08-14-2021, 09:29 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: But we currently have tons of cap space. 

Yeah but we still have a Chark contract and a Josh Allen contract on the horizon.

Absolutely.  We shouldn't just blow money because we have it.  People who do that wind up poor.  Same deal with NFL teams.

(08-14-2021, 08:19 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We were never in the playoff discussion. Being realistic, this is year 1 of a 2-3 year rebuild, no matter what Urban Meyer says. If Schobert was gonna get cut next year, then you trade him next year when we will presumably have Jack, Wilson (I'm assuming he plays well enough to get a contract extension if the coaching staff likes him this much), Quarterman and a healthy Dylan Moses. We'll also have a full batch of draft picks where we can add players at positions of need. You don't give him away now, when we only have one good backup ILB. Some of you guys are just assuming we can go out and get a decent ILB after roster cuts. That's not always the case. If guys were decent players, they most likely won't get cut. I'm just being prepared. We always suffer key injuries at a variety of positions and we should carry at least 2 decent backup ILB's. I was no fan of Schobert by any means, but he provided depth at ILB which is something we rarely have at any position. Why give away depth?

And so what if we suffer injuries at LB?  So what?  You said yourself we are not in the playoff discussion.  What is it costing  not having him as 'a high priced backup'?  Zero.  Nada.  Zilch.  As I said, the outrage is ridiculous.  Some people just look for things to be pissed about.

The better team we have around Trevor now both on offense and defense, the quicker his progression will be. I don't wanna see a rookie QB come in and have to play from behind every week. I wanna see him progress in a natural manner and not have to throw 35-50 times a game, because we are always down by 20+ points due to injuries on the defense and lack of depth. Think.

It's now evident that we simply wanted to get rid of his contract due to the Jaguars favoring other MLBs on the roster.

NH3...

https://twitter.com/TheJaguarsWire/statu...21668?s=20
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 10:25 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-14-2021, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: But we currently have tons of cap space. Cap space is not an issue at this point. I agree, once important players start coming up for contract extensions, you have to be very frugal. Especially since I believe Lawrence is gonna command one of those $200+ million contracts in about 3 years. Right now, we are in very good shape though. Right now, we should be worried about getting Lawrence comfortable on the field and that means putting the best team around him on offense and defense. Depth is a big part of that equation. I don't care if Schobert was gonna be the 3rd ILB. You need to keep 4 decent ones in a 3-4 scheme. 

I disagree with your stance on cap space.   We can say with 100% certainty that at some point in the next few years, we will be over the cap and have to rearrange things to get back under it.  So the time to start saving cap space is now.   A $10 million savings (or whatever Schobert's contract is) right now can be carried into the future.  And I guarantee you, at some point in the future, we will be glad we saved that money.   Because that will be one less guy we will have to cut in the future when we really need him.   

You should NEVER carry a bad contract just because you have cap space.  Because that wasted money will come back to bite you in the future.

What is the difference if we would have kept him this season and moved him next season? I never insinuated keeping him beyond this year. We still would have saved money by moving him in 2022, but we would have retained depth at the position for this year. Not to mention with none of his money guaranteed in 2022, we probably would have gotten more in a trade had we waited.

(08-14-2021, 09:29 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:28 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: But we currently have tons of cap space. 

Dude, I was all for trading Schobert next season. I never once said I would've kept him beyond this season. I just didn't want to give him away right now when our depth is so thin at ILB. We could've still moved him next season, gotten a better return in a trade since none of his contract would have been guaranteed and the contract negotiations with Chark and Allen wouldn't have been effected at all.

(08-14-2021, 09:33 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: All I remember is that there were plenty of people whining about signing Schobert last year.  Said it was expensive, it was chasing need, said the guy was overpaid, used it as proof Caldwell was worthless.  Now getting at least something for the guy who was about to be the most overpaid player on the team is somehow a bad move.  Sent out of the division to a team we don't play this year. 

I think we all agree the guy was overpaid, and would then be overpaid to ride the pine if he stayed.  Guys, it may not seem that way, but we got market price.  We'll know later this year if it was us or the Steelers that got the better end of the deal.  I haven't visited the Pittsburgh site, but I would guess they aren't jumping up and down over this trade.

I wish Schobert luck with his new team and still hope the Steelers implode.

I didn't like the Schobert signing at all. That doesn't impact my argument for giving him away now, when we lack depth at ILB. As bad as Schobert was as a starter, he still would have been one of the better backups in the league.