Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sidney Jones Traded?

Herndon is a good 4th CB/depth, but if he was our best CB in camp then it's going to be a really long year for that Secondary lol..

Campbell has all the physical tools you want in a CB, but his inability to find the football in the air is a big problem. You don't just develop that ability over night. It was the biggest knock on him in College and instantly showed up in the preseason. Teams are going to pick on him all year long.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-31-2021, 10:15 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 09:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: We had a better guy ahead of Minshew, and arguably a better guy behind Minshew.  I can't think of anyone saying Minshew should start over Trevor Lawrence because he was the better player.  Some felt as long as the OL could not pass protect, Minshew should start to take the abuse until the OL could get it together enough to not get TL killed, but nobody thought he should start over TL on the pure merits.

Even with his bad game against New Orleans, there are plenty who see Jones is a better alternative than Herndon or even Campbell, and he's likely to be better than any 6th rounder we could get.

That's the difference.
Jones isn't a better alternative than Herndon.  Herndon has shown he is decent at nickel and was the best corner in camp before the injury, and Campbell hasn't even played in a regular season game yet.  Campbell got beat a couple times in Preseason but at least he was there and didn't get his head around.  Jones has just been getting roasted all preseason and likely at practice
What....bro Herndon has to show me something. Last thing I saw was him playing decent with ramsey n bouye here. After that he looked like hot garbage and was getting burnt himself. When did he become decent at any position.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 07:19 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(08-31-2021, 06:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Herndon is a good 4th CB/depth, but if he was our best CB in camp then it's going to be a really long year for that Secondary lol..

Campbell has all the physical tools you want in a CB, but his inability to find the football in the air is a big problem. You don't just develop that ability over night. It was the biggest knock on him in College and instantly showed up in the preseason. Teams are going to pick on him all year long.
Exactly. Ppl on here talking like Herndon looking better than our Starting CBs is a good thing confuse me. The man has been nothing short of a head scratcher as to why he's even still here after being healthy and garbage. The only 2 Ws over Jones is health and camp this year. I didn't expect playoffs so let's see who baalke trades for.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(08-31-2021, 07:18 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 06:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Herndon is a good 4th CB/depth, but if he was our best CB in camp then it's going to be a really long year for that Secondary lol..

Exactly.  Ppl on here talking like Herndon looking better than our Starting CBs is a good thing confuse me.  The man has been nothing short of a head scratcher as to why he's even still here after being healthy and garbage.  The only 2 Ws over Jones is health and camp this year.  I didn't expect playoffs so let's see who baalke trades for.

Did you watch the last 3 games?  He was torched every game

(08-31-2021, 07:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:18 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Exactly.  Ppl on here talking like Herndon looking better than our Starting CBs is a good thing confuse me.  The man has been nothing short of a head scratcher as to why he's even still here after being healthy and garbage.  The only 2 Ws over Jones is health and camp this year.  I didn't expect playoffs so let's see who baalke trades for.

Did you watch the last 3 games?  He was torched every game

Lets not act like Griffin didn't get worked multiple times in both the Browns and Saints game. Marquez Callaway flat out made him look silly.

(08-31-2021, 07:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did you watch the last 3 games?  He was torched every game

Lets not act like Griffin didn't get worked multiple times in both the Browns and Saints game. Marquez Callaway flat out made him look silly.

He gave up a couple bomb TDs that were great passes and catches by Jamies.  They were moving Jones in the slot and to the outside, he got roasted in every game and he just looked silly lol, a little different.  Griffin is a proven starter in this league, Jones not so much and I liked him when he was coming out of the draft.  Also his injury history doesnt help but his play alone has declined more than any player on this team

(08-31-2021, 07:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did you watch the last 3 games?  He was torched every game

Agreed. I'm not thrilled with our entire CB situation to be honest. I really hope Henderson pans out. We'll need him.

(08-31-2021, 08:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 07:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Lets not act like Griffin didn't get worked multiple times in both the Browns and Saints game. Marquez Callaway flat out made him look silly.

He gave up a couple bomb TDs that were great passes and catches by Jamies.  They were moving Jones in the slot and to the outside, he got roasted in every game and he just looked silly lol, a little different.  Griffin is a proven starter in this league, Jones not so much and I liked him when he was coming out of the draft.  Also his injury history doesnt help but his play alone has declined more than any player on this team

I'm just saying if Griffin wasn't the high priced FA signing and guaranteed starter on this Defense, people would be calling him out also. He was getting beat by the Brown's back up WRs/QB in the 1st game as well.

We just haven't gotten to watch Herndon get abused in a while because he only played 11 snaps in the Browns game before injuring his knee. They called it an MCL sprain and he hasn't did anything since.

(08-31-2021, 08:10 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 08:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He gave up a couple bomb TDs that were great passes and catches by Jamies.  They were moving Jones in the slot and to the outside, he got roasted in every game and he just looked silly lol, a little different.  Griffin is a proven starter in this league, Jones not so much and I liked him when he was coming out of the draft.  Also his injury history doesnt help but his play alone has declined more than any player on this team

I'm just saying if Griffin wasn't the high priced FA signing and guaranteed starter on this Defense, people would be calling him out also. He was getting beat by the Brown's back up WRs/QB in the 1st game as well.

We just haven't gotten to watch Herndon get abused in a while because he only played 11 snaps in the Browns game before injuring his knee. They called it an MCL sprain and he hasn't did anything since.

Yeah, Griffin didn't play well either, a number of us mentioned it during the game thread.  The whole team played poorly the first few games.  Herndon has played since

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 09:34 PM by Eric1. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-31-2021, 08:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 08:10 PM)Eric1 Wrote: I'm just saying if Griffin wasn't the high priced FA signing and guaranteed starter on this Defense, people would be calling him out also. He was getting beat by the Brown's back up WRs/QB in the 1st game as well.

Yeah, Griffin didn't play well either, a number of us mentioned it during the game thread.  The whole team played poorly the first few games.  Herndon has played since

No he hasn't. Herndon has been inactive for both the Saints and Cowboys game after only playing 11 snaps in game 1.

Quote:With the Jaguars (0-1) looking to find more success on Monday than they did against the Cleveland Browns a week ago, the Jaguars announced the following five players won't dress for the game.

WR DJ Chark
C Brandon Linder
DE/OLB Josh Allen
CB Tre Herndon
LG Andrew Norwell

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/gameday/j...-inactives

Quote:The Jacksonville Jaguars will be without nine players today versus the Dallas Cowboys. The full list is as follows:

Wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr.
Wide receiver DJ Chark Jr.
Cornerback Tyson Campbell
Wide receiver Tavon Austin
Cornerback Tre Herndon
Defensive end/linebacker Josh Allen
Offensive lineman A.J. Cann
Offensive lineman Brandon Linder
Offensive lineman Andrew Norwell

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/gameday/j...ee-linemen

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2021, 09:49 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I meant hasn't* played since

Well Griffin may not just not be the QB not as a starter. But on that over in the even backup. Just saying
Summertime Is Coming!

(08-31-2021, 09:51 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Well Griffin may not just not be the QB not as a starter. But on that over in the even backup. Just saying

I don't know what you're saying

(08-31-2021, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 10:15 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jones isn't a better alternative than Herndon.  Herndon has shown he is decent at nickel and was the best corner in camp before the injury, and Campbell hasn't even played in a regular season game yet.  Campbell got beat a couple times in Preseason but at least he was there and didn't get his head around.  Jones has just been getting roasted all preseason and likely at practice

That's laughable.

It proves Campbell is not ready. Throwing him out there now, means he will be a huge liability.

this is kinda the point. Part of the cost of keeping Jones is delaying your chance to evaluate or develop a guy like Campbell, Claybrooks etc. I think a lot of folks think we are in the middle of a playoff run or something. We are not.  Now is exactly the time you want to bring the young talent in, give them reps and see if they grow, or play themselves off the roster.

I'm not say cut everyone old, but if they're not vastly superior to current talent or inhibiting your ability to develop that talent, it's ok to move on. The truth is Jones wasn't looking much better IN THE CURRENT SYSTEM than the guy you (justifiably) say isn't ready. We all know who the current regime invested in, though, and that makes it difficult to be perplexed at this move.

(08-31-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 10:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Did you watch him in camp or did you miss the reports?  

Neither is Jones, it's clear you haven't watched him play if you are upset about getting a pick for him lol.  He was torched more than any corner on this team in the preseason against guys that likely won't make this team.

I don't care about camp or the preseason. In actual games, Jones has been much, much better than Herndon. For years I have watched Herndon give up big play after big play. He should be nowhere near the starting rotation. Now, we have a huge liability (Herndon) and a guy who is nowhere near ready to see the field (Campbell.) If we don't develop some kind of pass rush, (which we didn't have last year and so far, I have yet to see in preseason,) this is gonna be a horrible year for the pass defense.

Football fandom is so much less stressful when you stop falling in love with players. Jones wasn't anything special. Keeping him wasn't going to magically get us to 10 wins. Trading him away wasn't going to tank our season. 

We'll be ok.

(08-31-2021, 03:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 02:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jones was getting beat like a drum last year after his 2 good games.  Herndon never really got destroyed in the slot, it was when he was playing outside against the other teams starters.  Jones is getting destroyed against players that won't even make those teams.   It's funny you think Jones is automatically gonna go out here and not be a liability against teams starters lol, not to mention the injury history lol.  Campbell hasn't even played a game yet so how do you know?  It's just practice remember.

Jones has consistently been less of a liability than Herndon has over the years. I've seen all the games and that is exactly what I've witnessed. Neither Jones or Herndon are ideal, which is why they aren't starters, but given the choice between the two, I'd take Jones 10 times out of 10. I would've cut Herndon a year or two ago. As far as Campbell, it's not even about his poor preseason. He couldn't track a ball in college either which is why that was on all of his scouting reports. He wasn't even the best CB on his college team. Eric Stokes was. I stand by what I said. This kid is not ready to see the field, until he proves he can track the ball in the air.

I disagree on Campbell not being the best corner on Georgia, Stokes has the Ints but Campbell was their number 1 corner and the guy they liked to put on the other teams best WR.  I'm taking Campbell over Stokes

"Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell place well in 2021 NFL draft CB rankings" https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2021/04/15/...kings/amp/

(08-31-2021, 08:10 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-31-2021, 08:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He gave up a couple bomb TDs that were great passes and catches by Jamies.  They were moving Jones in the slot and to the outside, he got roasted in every game and he just looked silly lol, a little different.  Griffin is a proven starter in this league, Jones not so much and I liked him when he was coming out of the draft.  Also his injury history doesnt help but his play alone has declined more than any player on this team

Griffin let up a few catches but fwiw he made the tackle each time and was never "burnt". It's also really hard when you can't get pressure on the opposite QB. Once we have Josh Allen back I suspect Griffin will look a little better; Griffin is CB2 right now and I think Henderson is our best shot at locking up opposing team's top option outside the numbers.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

I'm not tripping over this trade.
  • CJ has played well in preseason and seems more bought in than many had surmised. CB#1 IMO

• Griffin is overpaid but brings some experience, leadership and solid+ play to the room. CB#2 IMO

• Campbell has some of the smoothest hip movement I've seen and can stick with some fast receivers - needs technique on ball tracking -he'll be a starter next year IMO - may see work at nickel this season - probably the most gifted athlete behind CJ in this group - good depth for now

• Herndon - he's your de facto nickel until Campbell moves into a starter role somewhere - I like his skill set at the spot he's just a bit inconsistent - this is better than using him outside - *Remember - we'll see safeties (Cisco) lined up at "big nickel" in Cullen's scheme so Herndon won't always be there.

• Claybrooks is young and fast and represents the backup at KR/PR - still in development as a DB but not the worst depth

(09-01-2021, 10:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm not tripping over this trade.
  • CJ has played well in preseason and seems more bought in than many had surmised. CB#1 IMO

• Griffin is overpaid but brings some experience, leadership and solid+ play to the room. CB#2 IMO

• Campbell has some of the smoothest hip movement I've seen and can stick with some fast receivers - needs technique on ball tracking -he'll be a starter next year IMO - may see work at nickel this season - probably the most gifted athlete behind CJ in this group - good depth for now

• Herndon - he's your de facto nickel until Campbell moves into a starter role somewhere - I like his skill set at the spot he's just a bit inconsistent - this is better than using him outside -  *Remember - we'll see safeties (Cisco) lined up at "big nickel" in Cullen's scheme so Herndon won't always be there.

• Claybrooks is young and fast and represents the backup at KR/PR - still in development as a DB but not the worst depth

You think it'll be Cisco coming in as the big nickle?

I'm more in the lines of thinking it'll be Jenkins and Cisco as the two starting Safeties with Ford coming in as the big nickle.

(09-01-2021, 05:04 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 10:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm not tripping over this trade.

• Herndon - he's your de facto nickel until Campbell moves into a starter role somewhere - I like his skill set at the spot he's just a bit inconsistent - this is better than using him outside -  *Remember - we'll see safeties (Cisco) lined up at "big nickel" in Cullen's scheme so Herndon won't always be there.

You think it'll be Cisco coming in as the big nickle?

I'm more in the lines of thinking it'll be Jenkins and Cisco as the two starting Safeties with Ford coming in as the big nickle.

I think I saw Cisco lined up there on a few snaps in preseason, but you know Cullen moves the safeties around a lot and where they line up isn't always indicative of their assignment after the snap, so...  Your guess is as good as mine, probably better.
 It'll actually be fun to dissect Cullen's coverages and blitz schemes this year. Looking forward to that.