Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
L.A. Rams

Quote:From St. Louis, live in St. Louis and fan of Rams.. Got [BAD WORD REMOVED] off and decided to follow the Jags (Kahn and his roots) this past summer.

Now that it's official, I feel disgusted.. There are a lot of facts people from out of St. Louis don't know..

We were used and ignored..

Only city with a proposal. Denied money by Goodell, only to be given to OAK.

SD is now given an additional year..

What s joke..

You guys have a great owner..

It's a weird feeling losing a franchise.. I'm 29. Can remember watching Tony Banks Mis throw Issac Bruce..

Some people pray for the Jags to move... I love your city, would never wish this feeling on any other fan base..

All my childhood memories gone.. Over a stadium.
Thank you for the well wishes and the new support.

Unfortunately for you guys in St. Louis, Cleveland, etc., NFL relocations are almost always due to stadium issues.

The thing is, this isn't NEW to St. Louis.  I remember a time, before you were born, when the Cardinals were in St. Louis.  Bidwill was the owner, and he repeatedly asked St. Louis for a new stadium because he wasn't happy in Busch Stadium.  St. Louis balked, even after Bidwill threatened to move the Cards to Jacksonville.  They eventually lost the Cards.

They had a first hand lesson about the link between stadiums and relocation of NFL teams.

In their effort to lure the Rams to St. Louis from Los Angeles, they put in a provision they would provide the Rams with a stadium in the top 25% in the NFL.  They let the dome become obsolete. 

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What we still don't know is why NFL owners voted for the Rams. Five members of the relocation committee voted for Carson. Why did they change their minds and vote for Inglewood later?

Quote:What we still don't know is why NFL owners voted for the Rams. Five members of the relocation committee voted for Carson. Why did they change their minds and vote for Inglewood later?
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/12/los-a...adium-vote

My mom always told me, never trust a man with a fake tan and a mustache. It's true.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/01/12/los-a...relocation

Quote: 

Many have asked why such a push to L.A. since there hasn’t seemed to be any clamor from L.A. residents for a team. Well, it wasn’t about the fans: follow the money.

NFL stadiums were once buildings that housed 10 NFL games a year (two preseason, eight regular season), until it became clear that these facilities needed to be revenue positive for more than 10 days a year. Thus, over the past two decades stadium economics have become an increasingly important component for owners to throw off revenue from a variety of sources beyond NFL games.

As vice president of the Packers, I remember facing this necessity. While the idea of tearing down or replacing Lambeau Field was blasphemous, a renovation was vital for financial preservation; our rank in league revenues was plummeting as newer stadiums—with added revenue sources—were coming online. We were able to modernize and monetize (with a year-round restaurant, new Packer Hall of Fame, expanded pro shop, etc.) while keeping the traditional feel of Lambeau.

The $2 billion stadium proposal from Inglewood (Rams) presented the NFL and its owners an irresistible package of multiple uses beyond hosting NFL games. In what L.A. Committee member and Texans owner Robert McNair called an “NFL Campus,” the stadium’s other NFL-related uses would include future Super Bowls, Pro Bowls, drafts and combines, as well as potentially housing west wings for the NFL and Pro Football Hall of Fame. Non-NFL uses could include college football games—bowls and otherwise—as well as NCAA Final Fours, international soccer matches, concerts and other events. The building would immerse into the L.A. sports and entertainment scene, attracting all of the ancillary revenue from naming rights deals, exclusive sponsorships, local media deals, parking and concessions, etc.

As the relocation applications point out, the existing markets pale in comparison to revenue possibilities. When it was announced in December that National Car Rental would provide naming rights for a proposed stadium in St. Louis for $158 million, Jerry Jones commented, <i>That would buy a lobby in Los Angeles.</i> That statement was telling.
This is why the Shipyards needs to be done.

This is the sort of thinking that needs to keep happening here in Jacksonville.

http://www.theonion.com/article/nfl-to-a...ille-34393
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Chris Everett? Jim Rome on line 1.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Is the LA stadium a dome?

Ill buy an NFL franchise if i win the powerball tonight.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

..and when LA proves for a third time they won't sustain a franchise?
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016, 11:25 AM by MoJagFan.)

Quote:But I think that plan was advanced too little too late.

I think by the time the current proposal was revealed, Kroenke had already purchased the land in Los Angeles for his stadium.

If St. Louis wanted to keep the Rams, they never should have let it get to that point.
Bullseye I lived in STL during the whole start of the Kroenke affair.  That guy is a cold hearted snake.  He never ever came out in support of keeping the Rams in STL.  His silence was super super creepy and off putting.  Them hiring and sticking with Jeff as coach because of his experience with relocating a team are another obvious sign.

There were years and years of stadium plans and deals put forth to the Rams and the citizens because of the revenue clause in the lease.  The dome does a lot of convention business and the renovation plans would have emptied the coffers from the convention center to placate the RAMS.  The city did enough.  It is tough times in STL because the corporate base has eroded.  Going to work downtown was only busy on Cardinal game days.

Flip to now, I live in the Dallas area.  Texas is taking California headquarters relocations all the time.  The Discount Double check project in Richardson is out of this world.  Liberty Mutual is building a huge complex in West Plano.  The Toyota North American head quarters is a huge property and project.  San Antonio for any of these teams wouldn't be a stretch.  The amount of relocated people living here is staggering.  Cowboys fans know that Jerry Jones built the stadium to part visiting fans money from their wallets.  That stadium is a huge visiting fan destination.  Oh and they had a movie premiere at the stadium last night as well.

Fans pointing out in this thread that the Shipyards project needs to get done is absolutely spot on true.  You have to integrate non-football days and activities to your team's location.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Bullseye I lived in STL during the whole start of the Kroenke affair.  That guy is a cold hearted snake.  He never ever came out in support of keeping the Rams in STL.  His silence was super super creepy and off putting.  Them hiring and sticking with Jeff as coach because of his experience with relocating a team are another obvious sign.

There were years and years of stadium plans and deals put forth to the Rams and the citizens because of the revenue clause in the lease.  The dome does a lot of convention business and the renovation plans would have emptied the coffers from the convention center to placate the RAMS.  The city did enough.  It is tough times in STL because the corporate base has eroded.  Going to work downtown was only busy on Cardinal game days.

Flip to now, I live in the Dallas area.  Texas is taking California headquarters relocations all the time.  The Discount Double check project in Richardson is out of this world.  Liberty Mutual is building a huge complex in West Plano.  The Toyota North American head quarters is a huge property and project.  San Antonio for any of these teams wouldn't be a stretch.  The amount of relocated people living here is staggering.  Cowboys fans know that Jerry Jones built the stadium to part visiting fans money from their wallets.  That stadium is a huge visiting fan destination.  Oh and they had a movie premiere at the stadium last night as well.

Fans pointing out in this thread that the Shipyards project needs to get done is absolutely spot on true.  You have to integrate non-football days and activities to your team's location.

Also, isn't Kroenke also from St. Louis? He went to school there, made his money there. And at the first opportunity to leave for something better, he's gone.

Quote:Also, isn't Kroenke also from St. Louis? He went to school there, made his money there. And at the first opportunity to leave for something better, he's gone.

I was an outsider one of the few that actual moved into the area.  And let me tell you the townspeople were sure quick to point it out to me over and  over and over again.  Oh yeah and they sure were so welcoming to my kids.  Yeah Kroenke maybe from Missouri but his wallet was anywhere but there Big Grin

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:What we still don't know is why NFL owners voted for the Rams. Five members of the relocation committee voted for Carson. Why did they change their minds and vote for Inglewood later?
Is it really that hard to put two and two together? Kroenke has spent the last few years quietly building up an airtight "let me into LA or else" scenario. If the owners had blocked him, either explicitly by saying no or implicitly by allowed the Raiders and Chargers to move, he could have gone to court and slaughtered the league. That's in both a legal sense by exposing the NFL to anti-trust laws and in a PR sense by forcing the NFL to open its books.

Quote:..and when LA proves for a third time they won't sustain a franchise?
Up until whoever owns the Rams at that point decides that they want a new stadium and LA won't approve public funds--I don't think Kroenke really intends to be around for the long haul---they could have an official attendance of two people per game and no one in the league office would care. LA isn't about butts in seats. It's about appeasing the NFL's broadcast partners, who've wanted a team in LA since 1995.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:My mom always told me, never trust a man with a fake tan and a mustache. It's true.

He'll never be able to show his face in St Louis again:

[Image: kroenke-e1452694821291.jpg?w=824]
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:The Raiders apparently are expected to get the stadium they want in Oakland.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621671/article/whats-next-for-the-raiders-in-oakland'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621671/article/whats-next-for-the-raiders-in-oakland</a>

Does thus mean we are now allowed to keep calling then the Oakland Raiders since they will be likely staying?

I like it all.

I grew up with:

Oakland Raiders

L.A. Rams

S.D. Chargers

It sux for cities and fans that lose a franchise. But like others stated, St. Louis wasn't exactly in "full-on" support.

The L.A. move makes the NFCW geographically accurate again. So that's cool.

Did anyone else find it very difficult to watch Rams games due to the odd multi-colored turf?

It wasn't always that way (during their good years) but they did something different a few years ago to blend in light green.

Rams vs Vikings in the 1970's used to be pretty good.

Steelers vs Rams SB back in 1980 (1979 season) with Vince Ferragamo at QB was pretty good as well.

I sucks to lose your team

But the St Louis did take the Rams from LA but they did lose the Cardinals

Rams will prob be out of LA in 20 years 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Rams vs Vikings in the 1970's used to be pretty good.

Steelers vs Rams SB back in 1980 (1979 season) with Vince Ferragamo at QB was pretty good as well.
Yes....Chuck Foreman and Lawrence McCutcheon.

As for that Super Bowl, that Stallworth catch over Rod Perry was one of the best SI covers (though I despise the Steelers).  I'm still trying to add that SB to the collection.  I will add SB I this Friday.