Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***The official head coach search thread***

Quote:I don't have time to read 49 pages...who has actually been interviewed other than Coughlin?

The link provided by J-Mizzal earlier today in this thread is a good way to keep up with the happenings of the Jaguars HC search and the overall NFL HC search landscape.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...news-moves

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Surely Smith's defense in Tampa played disciplined this year: only 34 defensive penalties (on par with Giants and only 3 teams had less penalties).  Jaguars had 61.

The season before Smith's arrival Tampa Bay had 58 penalties (7h most in the league).

Not bothering to even attempt to judge either Patricia or McDaniels on their own merits rather than just assuming they are Belichick puppets seems awfully lazy to me.

I'm not crazy about McDaniels or Patricia because I think they'd each require a big home run hire at coordinator on the opposite side of the ball from their experience respectively (and because Patricia just doesn't have the experience yet - and we just went through that scenario.)

But   --  I have zero doubts that we'll see a coach come from the Belichick tree and have great success as a HC at some point.

It seems almost foolish to think one of his assistants will never be bright enough to learn from BB's methods and apply his version of them elsewhere successfully. 

Quote:Something tells me if we hire Mike Smith our team will be as mediocre as his name. Another uninspiring hire.

Mediocre would be a huge turnaround
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I'm not saying he runs things the same, but coordinators who ascend to head coaching positions don't normally deviate from what got them to this point since it appears to have worked for them. Gus was a players coach. So was Del Rio. When Jack attempted to deviate from that, the results were terrible.
I will disagree and it is still Marrones job to lose. Khan is a business man. And his change provided positive lucrative results. And to ignore that in the business sense be silly. However I will agree the rest will be changed sides maybe Hackett.  But still he may not be our oc.   If Marrone feels there is a better coach out there. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:I'm not saying he runs things the same, but coordinators who ascend to head coaching positions don't normally deviate from what got them to this point since it appears to have worked for them. Gus was a players coach. So was Del Rio. When Jack attempted to deviate from that, the results were terrible.

I don't mind a player's coach as long as the players are ultimately held accountable for mistakes. As long as it is instilled in them that winning is all that matters. And that the coach has the ability to utilize the talent on the roster correctly, indentify and exploit weaknesses of the opponent, make adjustments on the fly, etc.

In short, we need somebody that preaches WINNING, and has the ability to back that message up by effectively devising a winning strategy each week. Players aren't dumb, they know when the game plan is horse [BLEEP], or when the scheme is ineffective. I'm sure the players will respond well to a coach that puts them in position to win, whether he is laid back or a disciplinarian.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Ok, but again, if he's a laid back players coach how does he get an entire locker room focused when it was under all the scrutiny it was in his first season at HC with a rookie QB? He turned them from 4-12 to 11-5 with everything that was happening.

Player friendly coaches can accomplish this if they have enough veteran leadership in the locker room. It helps that he had guys like Roddy White, John Abraham, Michael Turner, and Michael Jenkins to provide that veteran leadership, along with a very talented rookie QB.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2017, 02:26 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

Khan can not afford to make another mistake. If hires Smih and lets Marrone walk.  And Smith does not produce Khan looks like a fool to the other owners.  For letting a guy already there walk who has (though limited) proven results.  For another sales pitch. 

#Gojags

Quote:I will disagree and it is still Marrones job to lose. Khan is a business man. And his change provided positive lucrative results. And to ignore that in the business sense be silly. However I will agree the rest will be changed sides maybe Hackett.  But still he may not be our oc.   If Marrone feels there is a better coach out there.

Marrone is an afterthought at this point. If he gets the job, it's because we couldn't land better options.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Khan can not afford to make another mistake. If hires Smih and lets Marrone walk.  And Smith does not produce Khan looks like a fool to the other owners.  For letting a guy already there walk who has (though limited) proven results.  For another sales pitch. 

I don't think this is Khans hire. This is Dave going down in the blaze of glory.

Quote:I will disagree and it is still Marrones job to lose. Khan is a business man. And his change provided positive lucrative results. And to ignore that in the business sense be silly. However I will agree the rest will be changed sides maybe Hackett. But still he may not be our oc. If Marrone feels there is a better coach out there.

I'm sure Khan is a smart enough business man to understand sample sizes. You think 1 win in 2 games at the end of a lost season is enough to make this multi-million dollar decision a no-brainer?
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Marrone is an afterthought at this point. If he gets the job, it's because we couldn't land better options.
What?  I doubt that.  And if that is your ploy for when Marrone stays.  Good luck with that. 

#Gojags

Quote:Not bothering to even attempt to judge either Patricia or McDaniels on their own merits rather than just assuming they are Belichick puppets seems awfully lazy to me.

I'm not crazy about McDaniels or Patricia because I think they'd each require a big home run hire at coordinator on the opposite side of the ball from their experience respectively (and because Patricia just doesn't have the experience yet - and we just went through that scenario.)

I have zero doubts that we'll see a coach come from the Belichick tree and have great success as a HC at some point.

It seems almost foolish to think one of his assistants will never be bright enough to learn from BB's methods and apply his version of them elsewhere successfully.

It hasn't happened yet, and he's seen a lot of coordinators move on to head coaching gigs with not so great results. I'll take my lazy analysis of the track record so far over the hope that maybe we get the coordinator who finally breaks out only to be disappointed.

Quote:Player friendly coaches can accomplish this if they have enough veteran leadership in the locker room. It helps that he had guys like Roddy White, John Abraham, Michael Turner, and Michael Jenkins to provide that veteran leadership, along with a very talented rookie QB.
Come in here and he has Malik Jackson, Marcedes Lewis, Kelvin Beachum, Paul Posluszny, Tashaun Gipson, etc.

Honestly though, this wasn't as much of an argument that he is a players coach. I honestly think a players coach is great. As long as they are held accountable then who cares like someone mentioned above? Like really? Not all players work well with a guy that's a hard [BLEEP].

If Doug gets hired it will be because we had no other options.

Go read Von Miller's article about Kubiak when he came in. Gary Kubiak is very well known as a player coach. A lot of players do much better with someone like that. No problem at all. Gus Bradley is a totally different animal than most player coaches.

Quote:I'm sure Khan is a smart enough business man to understand sample sizes. You think 1 win in 2 games at the end of a lost season is enough to make this multi-million dollar decision a no-brainer?
No he will look at the fact he turned buffalo around and shown potential here.  Your acting like he was a failure at other places.  Which is not the case. And division rivalry games are anything but meaningless. That the chance of 6 wins a season.   That is a chunk not meaning less.  And the last thing MM wants to hear is he has to play against this guy two times a year.  That spanked him.  In less then a weeks preparation. 

#Gojags

Quote:What?  I doubt that.  And if that is your ploy for when Marrone stays.  Good luck with that.

My "ploy" is to see them hire a coach with a track record of winning. Marrone isn't the best option to accomplish that.

Quote:The teams would normally make?

Caldwell picked Gus Bradley who was a highly touted coordinator that this fanbase wanted. It didn't work out. No idea how one failure of a HC means we'll go with one of them. If anything, ownership/GM has showed we'll get the highly touted guy that will BOMB big time instead of a more proven candidate. Gus Bradley was the splash candidate last time.

We all see how that worked out. Who the hell cares if it's exciting or not. Like I said, we were all pumped for Seattle South in 2013.
About a year ago I stopped feeling bad for this guy, but his continual use of stupid logic and fake tweets just makes me laugh. Can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped. He wants to stay the negative Nancy whiny guy so we should just accept that.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:Marrone is an afterthought at this point. If he gets the job, it's because we couldn't land better options.

Opinion stated as fact?
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."