Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
To all you tankers...

Quote:But what if you do the highlighted and you win a few games?

Well, most would say "bonus". But I think we should all understand it's a clear sign the team is shifting to playing with the future in mind.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Exactly! 

Sometimes the criticisms are unwarranted.

Sometimes, the criticisms are irrelevant.

Sometimes, the talent has to trump.
2010, squeaky clean Alu Alu at 10 while character issue laden JPP sat there. Yeah that really worked out.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:2010, squeaky clean Alu Alu at 10 while character issue laden JPP sat there. Yeah that really worked out.

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Clowney has a good shot at being successful.  He's got the talent.  But ultimately if I put my place in a General Manager's spot: I have to think really long and hard when QB's are basically career makers and breakers.  If Blaine Gabbert had been successful, Gene Smith would have still been here.  If Alualu had been successful, I think we'd still be calling Dave our New GM.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2013, 01:09 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD.)

Quote:2010, squeaky clean Alu Alu at 10 while character issue laden JPP sat there. Yeah that really worked out.
I'd take him over Alu Alu, but JPP is so ridiculously over rated.

Quote:Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Clowney has a good shot at being successful.  He's got the talent.  But ultimately if I put my place in a General Manager's spot: I have to think really long and hard when QB's are basically career makers and breakers.  If Blaine Gabbert had been successful, Gene Smith would have still been here.  If Alualu had been successful, I think we'd still be calling Dave our New GM.
You can't draft scared, Doc.

Quote:Right, and you don't rest your starters to save yourself for the playoffs, while also throwing a win at an undeserving team and affecting the playoff slotting. Oh wait, this happens every single year.

And you don't start playing less talented but younger guys to get them experience after it's clear the season is lost. No, no getting a head start on the future, you play for right now! Oh wait, this also happens every single year.

You can play in the league as you wish it was, but I'm for playing in the one that is.
Teams rest their players after they have already earned their playoff spots. They aren't taking anything from anybody. How the brackets line up outside of their earned position has been under the control of other teams the entire season. They can't blame not winning enough games to control their fate on some one else.

Nothing wrong with playing young guys, but the whole point of doing that is in hopes of them being successful.

We just played one of our less talented young LBs Sunday and all he did was go out and win the game for us with a spectacular play. Am I supposed to be sad over this development?

This whole tanking thing is a self defeating scenario that requires you to throw away any gains or development on your NFL roster for a player who is still an unknown quantity in the NFL.

After listening to Gus's comments. its possible Gabbert could still be successfull. He is doing what he was drafted to do sit behind a QB and learn and mature. It would not suprise me if Gabbert is still here next year as he knows the system and is already under contract. And who knows maybe sitting and learning he can improve and become successfull.

Quote:Right, and you don't rest your starters to save yourself for the playoffs, while also throwing a win at an undeserving team and affecting the playoff slotting. Oh wait, this happens every single year.

And you don't start playing less talented but younger guys to get them experience after it's clear the season is lost. No, no getting a head start on the future, you play for right now! Oh wait, this also happens every single year.

You can play in the league as you wish it was, but I'm for playing in the one that is.

slow golf clap :thumbsup: 

Quote:Your baseless moral condescension aside, your post raises questions.

1.  You sure that winning in the division is the first step to playoff contention?  What about...I dunno...accumulating the talent that actually enables you to win in the division?

2.  You have no idea about who I am or anything about my personal integrity.  While you flail wildly in message board speculation, I notice you remained silent on a post I made earlier about fans who have moral problems with things like drug use who are fans of teams who have had drug users on their Super Bowl winning rosters.  Should those fans end their allegiances to their various teams because they derived on field benefit from having a known rule breaker/law breaker on the team?  Should those teams somehow renounce their championships?   Should the NFL, which has a long standing drug policy in place, vacate those titles won by those teams?  What about teams with players who sleep around with multiple women?  What about teams with guys who don't support any non custodial children?  Do those things offend your moral sensibilities to the point you would cease to support your team?

good points as usual

Quote:Well...at least we agree it isn't an ability issue with Clowney, right? 

Yes. Agreed. 

Quote:I'd take him over Alu Alu, but JPP is so ridiculously over rated.

No he's not. He simply hasn't been the same player since injuries have messed him up. 

What if Alu Alu is JPP instead? Maybe Gabbert would not have been playing from behind all the time Lot of variables to consider.

I guess I just don't rate any QB in this years draft to be close enough to a franchise player that I would take them over Clowney. I'm sure Caldwell will indeed think long and hard about the decision. I hope he makes a good one.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2013, 01:19 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:After listening to Gus's comments. its possible Gabbert could still be successfull. He is doing what he was drafted to do sit behind a QB and learn and mature. It would not suprise me if Gabbert is still here next year as he knows the system and is already under contract. And who knows maybe sitting and learning he can improve and become successfull.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd rather have Gabbert here than Henne. At the very least Gabberts age gives the hope that something can still be salvaged, even if its just a solid backup QB. 

Henne at his age, is what he is. His ceiling has been hit.

Quote:Well, most would say "bonus". But I think we should all understand it's a clear sign the team is shifting to playing with the future in mind.

So is that not what the Jaguars are doing?

Quote:What if Alu Alu is JPP instead? Maybe Gabbert would not have been playing from behind all the time Lot of variables to consider.

I guess I just don't rate any QB in this years draft to be close enough to a franchise player that I would take them over Clowney. I'm sure Caldwell will indeed think long and hard about the decision. I hope he makes a good one.

If we take JPP instead, I imagine that Gene Smith still wouldn't be here.  The team would still need rebuilding.  We'd just have one more piece already, instead of what we have.

If Gabbert on the other hand was... Cam Newton, you'd likely see Gene Smith still here.  

And I guess I just don't rate Clowney so high that I'd pass on a potential franchise QB for him.  Thankfully neither of us have to be the one to make that decision.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Teams rest their players after they have already earned their playoff spots. They aren't taking anything from anybody. How the brackets line up outside of their earned position has been under the control of other teams the entire season. They can't blame not winning enough games to control their fate on some one else.

Nothing wrong with playing young guys, but the whole point of doing that is in hopes of them being successful.

So "intentionally losing is cheating and you should lose all your picks" unless you have locked up a playoff spot and are throwing a game to manipulate playoff seeding. That's a pretty water tight position you have there.

Quote:If we take JPP instead, I imagine that Gene Smith still wouldn't be here.  The team would still need rebuilding.  We'd just have one more piece already, instead of what we have.

If Gabbert on the other hand was... Cam Newton, you'd likely see Gene Smith still here.  

And I guess I just don't rate Clowney so high that I'd pass on a potential franchise QB for him.  Thankfully neither of us have to be the one to make that decision.

Franchise QB >>> top rated DE prospect ALWAYS. 

Quote:So "intentionally losing is cheating and you should lose all your picks" unless you have locked up a playoff spot and are throwing a game to manipulate playoff seeding. That's a pretty water tight position you have there.

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Quote: 

No he's not. He simply hasn't been the same player since injuries have messed him up. 

You can make that excuse for a lot of players. Bottom line is he had one big season when he had a ton of sack opportunities because teams were trying to keep up with Eli having a career. 

Quote:You know, for someone like the mad mutt to constantly whine about the degradation of society and the lack of honesty and integrity in today's youth and all that, the clown has posted close to 200 times in this thread advocating for a team and or gm or coach to cheat, manipulate, lie ,cast away their integrity and perform  player maneuvers that fly in the face of all the attributes he claims to possess that society does not anymore. All for the unknown quantity that is a college QB. Absolutely freakin' pathetic. Those of you that agree with him are as well. You are all embarrassments to honest people everywhere. What kind of a loser accepts the trophy after they knowingly cheated and lied to attain it? I"ll tell you, the likes of tmd and any other fool that agrees with the cheater.
Well said.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:So is that not what the Jaguars are doing?

In some cases, yes. In some cases, their young inexperienced players really are just the best we have. When you see Toddman or Robinson start getting more snaps than MJD, or anyone other than Henne/Gabbert get a shot (even though I don't expect much), I'll believe they've switched to playing for the future. Just my opinion though.

Quote:Your baseless moral condescension aside, your post raises questions.

1.  You sure that winning in the division is the first step to playoff contention?  What about...I dunno...accumulating the talent that actually enables you to win in the division?

2.  You have no idea about who I am or anything about my personal integrity.  While you flail wildly in message board speculation, I notice you remained silent on a post I made earlier about fans who have moral problems with things like drug use who are fans of teams who have had drug users on their Super Bowl winning rosters.  Should those fans end their allegiances to their various teams because they derived on field benefit from having a known rule breaker/law breaker on the team?  Should those teams somehow renounce their championships?   Should the NFL, which has a long standing drug policy in place, vacate those titles won by those teams?  What about teams with players who sleep around with multiple women?  What about teams with guys who don't support any non custodial children?  Do those things offend your moral sensibilities to the point you would cease to support your team?
1. Winning 5 out of 6 games in your division would be...I dunno.... a pretty good sign you can win games in your division.

2. What does drug use have to do with an NFL team cheating? This isn't a morality issue, it is an integrity issue. Don't confuse the two. Poor morality gives you a bad reputation, poor integrity gets you fired.

I don't have to know you to know that you advocate cheating, therefore it is pretty easy infer that you lack integrity.

There is an old saying, "There ain't nothing worse than a liar or a thief". Actually there is. It's a cheater because he is both.

I don't know we're yelling about!