Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Claim Jeff Tuel

Quote:Ever heard of Doug Marrone?
That got him a shot at the practice squad.  I guess Tuel is really benefiting from that relationship.  Having familiarity with Jedd Fisch's playbook got Stephen Morris a job last year.  So what?  Where did he wind up? 

BTW, Gus wasn't exactly gushing about Morris yesterday with the press.  They played the audio on 1010XL this morning.  After confirming that they would most likely keep 3 QBs with 2 on the roster and one on the PS, he was asked about Stephen Morris, and the way Gus framed his comments about how the QB was doing, it sounded like there was a lot of room for improvement.  That presents Tuel with an opportunity.  He could wind up that PS QB. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That got him a shot at the practice squad.  I guess Tuel is really benefiting from that relationship.  Having familiarity with Jedd Fisch's playbook got Stephen Morris a job last year.  So what?  Where did he wind up? 

BTW, Gus wasn't exactly gushing about Morris yesterday with the press.  They played the audio on 1010XL this morning.  After confirming that they would most likely keep 3 QBs with 2 on the roster and one on the PS, he was asked about Stephen Morris, and the way Gus framed his comments about how the QB was doing, it sounded like there was a lot of room for improvement.  That presents Tuel with an opportunity.  He could wind up that PS QB. 
I guess you're misinterpreting my comment as an endorsement for Tuel.  It is not.  Just pointing out the obvious, which eluded the poster i commented on.  Relax a bit my friend.

Quote:I guess you're misinterpreting my comment as an endorsement for Tuel.  It is not.  Just pointing out the obvious, which eluded the poster i commented on.  Relax a bit my friend.

I didn't really see it as an endorsement on your part, but that mindset will certainly be the case for some in this discussion.  Read some of the comments in this thread and you'll understand my point.  There are people who think Tuel is better than Henne based on, well, nothing other than the fact that he's a relative unknown. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I didn't really see it as an endorsement on your part, but that mindset will certainly be the case for some in this discussion.  Read some of the comments in this thread and you'll understand my point.  There are people who think Tuel is better than Henne based on, well, nothing other than the fact that he's a relative unknown. 
Admittedly, i've just scanned through the thread, due to lack of real interest.  I've have interest in 1 QB on this roster. 

Just building on the bottom of the roster here.

Tuel > Morris
Shock the world

Quote:Just building on the bottom of the roster here.

Tuel > Morris

Henne>Tuel>Morris

fify

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Gabbert was named the starter to begin the season.  Henne replaced him when Blaine was injured.  Blaine didn't end the season as the starter, and he was healthy.  Last time I checked, that's a pretty good indication Henne won the job because he outperformed Gabbert.  Not sure what you were watching.  Gabbert may have begun that season the starter, but he lost the job.  Twist it any way you need to in order to continue this agenda of yours to portray Henne as the most incompetent QB in the league.  He's not.  But you keep telling yourself otherwise if it makes you feel better.

Yes, Gabbert lost the starting job, but it was only because of an injury, not because Henne actually beat him out of it. Had Gabbert not gotten injured, there's a good chance he would have remained the starter for the entire season, although we will never really know. I still remember that even though Gabbert played badly each week, Gus kept on saying "Blaine is the Jaguars starting QB". I fully understand they were giving him every opportunity to play because he was such a high draft pick, but it was also because Henne was the back up QB.

I don't twist anything, I just call it like I see it. I don't have any agenda to "portray Henne as the most incompetent QB in the league". Those are your words, not mine.

I don't have anything against Henne, and fully understand with a young QB like Bortles, the Jags really do need a veteran on the roster to help him out. It's just that when Henne is on the field, he just looks absolutely, dreadfully awful at times, and as a 7yr veteran, that shouldn't be the case. I'm not saying I expect Henne to come in and win games for the Jags, but as a 7yr vet, he should look a lot better then he does out there. That's all I'm saying.

I just feel that the Jags should really try to find a back up veteran QB who at least gives them a chance to win a game if he is in there, or at the very least, sustain some good drives and get in FG range.

I actually have to give some credit to Henne for being able to stick around as long as he has with his limited, or should I say inconsistent, talent at the QB position.

Quote:Yes, Gabbert lost the starting job, but it was only because of an injury, not because Henne actually beat him out of it. Had Gabbert not gotten injured, there's a good chance he would have remained the starter for the entire season, although we will never really know. I still remember that even though Gabbert played badly each week, Gus kept on saying "Blaine is the Jaguars starting QB". I fully understand they were giving him every opportunity to play because he was such a high draft pick, but it was also because Henne was the back up QB.

I don't twist anything, I just call it like I see it. I don't have any agenda to "portray Henne as the most incompetent QB in the league". Those are your words, not mine.

I don't have anything against Henne, and fully understand with a young QB like Bortles, the Jags really do need a veteran on the roster to help him out. It's just that when Henne is on the field, he just looks absolutely, dreadfully awful at times, and as a 7yr veteran, that shouldn't be the case. I'm not saying I expect Henne to come in and win games for the Jags, but as a 7yr vet, he should look a lot better then he does out there. That's all I'm saying.

I just feel that the Jags should really try to find a back up veteran QB who at least gives them a chance to win a game if he is in there, or at the very least, sustain some good drives and get in FG range.

I actually have to give some credit to Henne for being able to stick around as long as he has with his limited, or should I say inconsistent, talent at the QB position.

Again, you simply can't admit that Henne "won" the job over Blaine Gabbert.  The injury to Gabbert only accelerated the issue.

Did Henne look "bad" when he was in?  Of course.  What do you expect with the cast of players around him?  At best he was/can "manage the game".  With a better O-line and better receivers he most likely would be successful.  You have to be fair when you judge the guy.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Again, you simply can't admit that Henne "won" the job over Blaine Gabbert.  The injury to Gabbert only accelerated the issue.

Did Henne look "bad" when he was in?  Of course.  What do you expect with the cast of players around him?  At best he was/can "manage the game".  With a better O-line and better receivers he most likely would be successful.  You have to be fair when you judge the guy.

Henne took over the starting job because of an injury to Gabbert. Would Henne have "won" the job over Gabbert had he not gotten injured? We have no way of knowing that, but the coaching staff/front office was going to give Gabbert every chance to be the Jags starting QB, so who knows how long they would have kept saying "Gabbert is the starting QB" even after he played poorly the week before.

Did Henne remain the starter, even after Gabbert was healed (I don't remember what game they actually activated Gabbert to playing status)?  YES, Henne did remain the starter, but they started the season 0-8, so whatever game it was, they were o-fer at the time (unless of course it was game #10 when they were 1-9, I don't remember it being that late in the season though)

Did the offense show more life under Henne then under Gabbert? Again, Yes they did. Is this what you consider Henne beating out Gabbert as the starter, because Gabbert was healthy by this time, but Henne remained the starter? They were both pretty bad, but Gabbert was definitely worse then Henne if you compare the two while both leading the same bad team.

Henne did go on to win 3 out of 4 games, and 4 for the season, which was a bit of a miracle in itself, but something that I just don't think Gabbert would have done.

so if that's what you mean, then yes, Henne's play did keep Gabbert on the bench, even though he was healthy enough to start at QB. Actually Gabbert NEVER started another game for the Jags and Henne was named the starter for the next full NFL season.

Anybody remember how that worked out for the 7 yr vet Henne?

Quote:Henne took over the starting job because of an injury to Gabbert. Would Henne have "won" the job over Gabbert had he not gotten injured? We have no way of knowing that, but the coaching staff/front office was going to give Gabbert every chance to be the Jags starting QB, so who knows how long they would have kept saying "Gabbert is the starting QB" even after he played poorly the week before.

Did Henne remain the starter, even after Gabbert was healed (I don't remember what game they actually activated Gabbert to playing status)?  YES, Henne did remain the starter, but they started the season 0-8, so whatever game it was, they were o-fer at the time (unless of course it was game #10 when they were 1-9, I don't remember it being that late in the season though)

Did the offense show more life under Henne then under Gabbert? Again, Yes they did. Is this what you consider Henne beating out Gabbert as the starter, because Gabbert was healthy by this time, but Henne remained the starter? They were both pretty bad, but Gabbert was definitely worse then Henne if you compare the two while both leading the same bad team.

Henne did go on to win 3 out of 4 games, and 4 for the season, which was a bit of a miracle in itself, but something that I just don't think Gabbert would have done.

so if that's what you mean, then yes, Henne's play did keep Gabbert on the bench, even though he was healthy enough to start at QB. Actually Gabbert NEVER started another game for the Jags and Henne was named the starter for the next full NFL season.

How did it work out for Henne? He still is the #2 QB on this team, the exact role they paid him to take.

Quote:Henne took over the starting job because of an injury to Gabbert. Would Henne have "won" the job over Gabbert had he not gotten injured? We have no way of knowing that, but the coaching staff/front office was going to give Gabbert every chance to be the Jags starting QB, so who knows how long they would have kept saying "Gabbert is the starting QB" even after he played poorly the week before.

The fact is, Henne did indeed win the job based on his production while Gabbert was injured.  Gabbert was healthy long before that season ended, but he never got the starting gig back.  Not really that difficult to grasp for some folks, but I guess there are always exceptions. 

Considering the fact that Henne was signed with the intention of being the backup QB when he came to Jax, and that's precisely the job he's been doing since he arrived here, I'm not sure what your expectations were.  Not many backup QBs in the league are going to set the world on fire, especially when they're asked to play in a situation like we've had in Jacksonville the past few years.  Despite that, Henne has continued to be a solid roster guy who will do what is asked and you never ever hear the guy complain one bit.  He has very little control over the roster that surrounded him, so to put the blame strictly on his back for the offensive struggles during his time on the field is pretty narrow minded, but probably more agenda driven on your part than anything.  Fans like you have a need to fixate on one thing to focus your anger on.

Well NOW I'm excited about the season.

Softens the blow of Fowler's injury.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015, 05:16 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Quote:The fact is, Henne did indeed win the job based on his production while Gabbert was injured.  Gabbert was healthy long before that season ended, but he never got the starting gig back.  Not really that difficult to grasp for some folks, but I guess there are always exceptions. 

Considering the fact that Henne was signed with the intention of being the backup QB when he came to Jax, and that's precisely the job he's been doing since he arrived here, I'm not sure what your expectations were. Not many backup QBs are going to set th Not many backup QBs in the leaguee world on fire, especially when they're asked to play in a situation like we've had in Jacksonville the past few years.  Despite that, Henne has continued to be a solid roster guy who will do what is asked and you never ever hear the guy complain one bit.  He has very little control over the roster that surrounded him, so to put the blame strictly on his back for the offensive struggles during his time on the field is pretty narrow minded, but probably more agenda driven on your part than anything.  Fans like you have a need to fixate on one thing to focus your anger on.

I don't expect ex-starter Henne to set the world on fire, especially with as bad as the Jags team has been while he has been here, but I would expect him as a 7yr vet, and now a back up, to look better then what he has while he has been on the field. While there have been very short stretches that he has looked good, there have been far too many times when he has looked absolutely, dreadfully awful. He gets balls batted down at the line of scrimmage and throws balls into the dirt to many times. I would like to think a 7 yr vet would be able to avoid those bad plays more then Henne does, especially on 3rd downs.

I realize you are a big Henne fan, but is it too much to expect better play from a guy who has been in the league 7 years and actually started for several of those years? Or is it just that Henne is really just very inconsistent and those bad plays that happen when he is on the field are really the rest of the teams fault because they are young and inexperienced?

When the QBR rankings for the QBs who play come out, Henne is consistently at the bottom of the pack around 28,29 or 30. That's below some rookie and 2nd yr QBs.

Is it too much to ask for him to either find a way to raise that extremely low QBR ranking or for the Jags to find a veteran QB who can perform better then Henne when he gets on the field?

I just don't see a problem trying to upgrade the back up QB position, but it sounds like you are happy with Henne as Blake's back up.

I'm not an angry fan, but I am tired of watching Henne look nearly as bad as Gabbert out there for a lot more plays then he looks like a legitimate back up QB with 7 yrs of NFL experience.

Maybe this will be the year Henne actually plays better on the field because the team around him is better then what it has been for the past several years. We'll see.

Quote:Can't see how Peter King ranks us 30th now.  This move right here is what separates the men from the boys.

I'm a little late to the party but response to the initial post was funny.

Quote: 

<p style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">Jaguars claim QB Jeff Tuel off waivers from Buffalo. Release QB Jake Waters.

Jeff Tuel is as Thick as a Brick.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015, 05:47 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Quote:Jeff Tuel is as Thick as a Brick.

Jeff Tuel is a Bridge Over Troubled Waters.

Quote:Jeff Tuel is a bridge over troubled waters.

Jeff Tuel is Back in the New York Groove

Quote:I don't expect ex-starter Henne to set the world on fire, especially with as bad as the Jags team has been while he has been here, but I would expect him as a 7yr vet, and now a back up, to look better then what he has while he has been on the field. While there have been very short stretches that he has looked good, there have been far too many times when he has looked absolutely, dreadfully awful. He gets balls batted down at the line of scrimmage and throws balls into the dirt to many times. I would like to think a 7 yr vet would be able to avoid those bad plays more then Henne does, especially on 3rd downs.

I realize you are a big Henne fan, but is it too much to expect better play from a guy who has been in the league 7 years and actually started for several of those years? Or is it just that Henne is really just very inconsistent and those bad plays that happen when he is on the field are really the rest of the teams fault because they are young and inexperienced?

When the QBR rankings for the QBs who play come out, Henne is consistently at the bottom of the pack around 28,29 or 30. That's below some rookie and 2nd yr QBs.

Is it too much to ask for him to either find a way to raise that extremely low QBR ranking or for the Jags to find a veteran QB who can perform better then Henne when he gets on the field?

I just don't see a problem trying to upgrade the back up QB position, but it sounds like you are happy with Henne as Blake's back up.

I'm not an angry fan, but I am tired of watching Henne look nearly as bad as Gabbert out there for a lot more plays then he looks like a legitimate back up QB with 7 yrs of NFL experience.

Maybe this will be the year Henne actually plays better on the field because the team around him is better then what it has been for the past several years. We'll see.
So you don't expect him to look all that good because of the line, lack of running game, and inexperienced receivers, but you expect him to raise all boats because he's a 7 year veteran, and he should be able to overcome the lousy line, lack of running game, and young receiving corps.  I hope you don't hurt yourself as you straddle that fence.  Groin injuries can linger and be quite painful. 

The fact that you think I'm a "big Henne fan" shows just how completely ignorant you are.  Not once have I ever, in the years he's been here, declared myself a big fan of Henne.  I saw him as nothing more than a bridge to the future, and that's exactly what he's been.  If you can't comprehend where I stand on Henne, I pity you because the mental horsepower you've got moving  you around this planet would rival a Yugo. 

Last time I checked, you're not watching Henne.  He's a backup.  Unless you're one of those fans who spends more time staring at the sideline wondering what's on his clipboard and not much time actually watching the game, you're rarely seeing him. 

Quote:No, but we have computers in here now.

Ah snaps...250 hours free of AOL on the canteen...good ole' Murica!
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

My biggest beef with Henne is his check-down nature. I understand the check-down when needed, but that's all he does unless a guy is streaking down the field wide open. Henne is as dink-and-dunk as it gets, and that's only going to win occasional low-scoring games. It would not at all surprise me if Tuel flat beats Henne out as Bortles primary back-up. I wouldn't bat an eye if Chad was cut.

'02