Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
*** Official Live State Of the Jaguars Coverage Starts at 10:45 Today***

Quote:The one in Jacksonville is going to be 4 or 5 times bigger than that one.  The people planning the Jacksonville one have already said their project is moving forward.

The group also does not have 100 million dollars to open an aquarium. It is a nice idea but they have nowhere near the resources to make it a reality.

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Wasn't the city about to put a lot of money into the Landing?  I think its time to redirect that money and change it to this project.

Quote:Like the Prime Osbourne does?

Well if the Prime Osbourne was right next to the rest of the stuff projected in the shipyards design, it would probably be a bit more fruitful.

Quote:Wasn't the city about to put a lot of money into the Landing?  I think its time to redirect that money and change it to this project.

If this goes through, I'm guessing the city bulldozes the Landing.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:Well if the Prime Osbourne was right next to the rest of the stuff projected in the shipyards design, it would probably be a bit more fruitful.

Not only is the Prime Osbourne in a bad location for a convention center, it is a bad use of that facility.

The convention space within the Hyatt downtown is much more convenient for a convention. The Prime Osbourne has mostly been relegated to an exhibition hall for events like the Auto Show and Christmas Made in the South.

I think grand vision would be the convention center be where the old courthouse sits, adjacent to the Hyatt.

;

;

Quote:Well if the Prime Osbourne was right next to the rest of the stuff projected in the shipyards design, it would probably be a bit more fruitful.
So a convention even further away from the highway is going to attract more customers because of the Shipyards? I have a hard time believing that. All of these plans sound great and I really hope they happen, but I have my doubts. Khan undoubtedly has the money to get things done but does he have stroke? The Good Ole Boy Network that has been running downtown affairs for decades may have some resistance to some of these plans. He also has to deal with a powerful church downtown who may not have very high opinions of him. I hope it all comes to fruition but I have some doubts.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

Quote:If this goes through, I'm guessing the city bulldozes the Landing.

Agree. Much better use for that land.

;

;

Quote:So a convention even further away from the highway is going to attract more customers because of the Shipyards? I have a hard time believing that. All of these plans sound great and I really hope they happen, but I have my doubts. Khan undoubtedly has the money to get things done but does he have stroke? The Good Ole Boy Network that has been running downtown affairs for decades may have some resistance to some of these plans. He also has to deal with a powerful church downtown who may not have very high opinions of him. I hope it all comes to fruition but I have some doubts.

Proximity to the highway has nothing to do with it. The Convention Center in it's current location is a waste of space. That is why there are not many actual conventions there.

Convention centers need nearby hotel space for conventioneers to stay in. The Prime Osbourne does not. Look at the convention center in Orlando. Mutliple large hotels attached to the property. All convenient to walk short distances to.

;

;

Best place for the convention center would be where the old courthouse is. Would be in perfect proximity to the shipyards, the Landing, and Bay Street. Turn the Prime Osborne back into a train station that would eventually go with All Aboard Florida (high-speed rail being built to Miami and Orlando).

Quote:If this goes through, I'm guessing the city bulldozes the Landing.

The owner of the Landing is already trying to get support to do exactly that.  Of course, he's the bald guy in the Alvin Brown commercials gushing about what a great job our mayor is doing because Brown supports what Sleiman wants to do with the place. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Not only is the Prime Osbourne in a bad location for a convention center, it is a bad use of that facility.

The convention space within the Hyatt downtown is much more convenient for a convention. The Prime Osbourne has mostly been relegated to an exhibition hall for events like the Auto Show and Christmas Made in the South.

I think grand vision would be the convention center be where the old courthouse sits, adjacent to the Hyatt.
The problem with the convention center where it is currently is that it's got no hotels adjacent to it, or even within a few blocks.  Not very well thought out.  Add to that the fact that the place isn't big enough, or modern enough to really be a thriving convention center, and you've got a good idea as to why that business doesn't look to Jacksonville for much.  I don't think putting a convention center on the waterfront would be the best use of real estate, especially when the land where the old courthouse sits would be better served by putting a hotel or some other tax revenue generating structure there, but, the jail and JSO HQ across the street?  That could all be relocated to make room for a convention center. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:So a convention even further away from the highway is going to attract more customers because of the Shipyards? I have a hard time believing that. All of these plans sound great and I really hope they happen, but I have my doubts. Khan undoubtedly has the money to get things done but does he have stroke? The Good Ole Boy Network that has been running downtown affairs for decades may have some resistance to some of these plans. He also has to deal with a powerful church downtown who may not have very high opinions of him. I hope it all comes to fruition but I have some doubts.

You think people wouldn't drive an extra five minutes that is right in the middle of hotels, shopping, and restaurants?

There is absolutely nothing around the "convention center".

It's a terrible, desolate place.

Quote:The problem with the convention center where it is currently is that it's got no hotels adjacent to it, or even within a few blocks.  Not very well thought out.  Add to that the fact that the place isn't big enough, or modern enough to really be a thriving convention center, and you've got a good idea as to why that business doesn't look to Jacksonville for much.  I don't think putting a convention center on the waterfront would be the best use of real estate, especially when the land where the old courthouse sits would be better served by putting a hotel or some other tax revenue generating structure there, but, the jail and JSO HQ across the street?  That could all be relocated to make room for a convention center. 

Someone mentioned it earlier, but are there really any conventions held there?  Christmas Made in the South, Womens shows, and I think there's a home and patio show...that about rounds it out.

I have a feeling the hotel space in the shipyard will have more than enough usable space to have small to medium sized conventions.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Admittedly I am not as familiar with the politics involved with any downtown plans, as I haven't lived in Jacksonville since I was a teenager. I do, however, organize and plan conferences for the company I work for and I can tell you that the main two considerations of picking a place to hold a conference is:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">a) Proximity to the airport. 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Neither the Shipyards or the Prime Osbourne are close to the airport. Push.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">2) Restaurant, shopping, and lodging (if the conference doesn't take place in a hotel) within a walk-able distance from the convention venue.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">If even 5% of the projected Shipyards design comes to be, it will offer significant advantages over the Prime Osbourne's location.

"I love the smell of Maxwell House in the morning"  :teehee:

A convention center on an interstate with nothing around it for blocks besides an underutilized monorail system is hardly worth worrying about.  They could convert it into something more useful like a museum for railroad history in the state of Florida and develop it as an attraction.  With no hotels supporting it, it's about as useful as screen doors on a submarine. 

I worked for Bucky Clarkson, a guy who was determined to build a hotel adjacent to the current convention center, and filed multiple lawsuits attempting to get the city to allow him to do exactly that probably 10-15 years ago.  There was no desire at that time to build any hotels in that area.  There are already a couple of major hotels on the north bank closer to the shipyards, and another major hotel chain is already lined up to build if Khan's plan is approved and comes to fruition.  If you have a convention center, you need a hotel within walking distance, if not literally attached to the hotel itself.  The best option for that would be to build it as part of this project in the shipyards.  Otherwise, find a way to build it closer to the heart of downtown within a block or two of the existing hotels.  While that would make the old courthouse an ideal location, I'd much rather see the city get the waterfront back on the tax logs, and move the jail and other facilities in that area that would allow this to happen and help to upgrade the atmosphere in that area.

Quote:This makes me glad I'm moving back home to Jax in 3 years!

I would love to move south, if even only for the warmer weather.  High's in the single digits and windchills in the -20 to -30 degree range are far too common this winter.  If it wasn't for family (two young nieces) I'd more than likely be seriously considering getting out of here in the next 4-5 years.

Quote:Someone mentioned it earlier, but are there really any conventions held there?  Christmas Made in the South, Womens shows, and I think there's a home and patio show...that about rounds it out.

I have a feeling the hotel space in the shipyard will have more than enough usable space to have small to medium sized conventions.
No conventions.  Gun shows, car shows, home decorating shows, and things like that are pretty much the standard fare for the Prime Osborne. 

I'd love to see them come up with a plan for moving the jail and police memorial building, get rid of the old courthouse, and convert that property into something like a convention center and another hotel. 

I know many folks would love to see Maxwell House move or simply go away.  I disagree.  I think it's a facility that actually adds to the charm of the shipyard area, It could use a facelift to help it blend in with the new environment in that area, but it's been a part of that area of downtown for my entire life, and should continue.

Quote:No conventions.  Gun shows, car shows, home decorating shows, and things like that are pretty much the standard fare for the Prime Osborne. 

I'd love to see them come up with a plan for moving the jail and police memorial building, get rid of the old courthouse, and convert that property into something like a convention center and another hotel. 

I know many folks would love to see Maxwell House move or simply go away.  I disagree.  I think it's a facility that actually adds to the charm of the shipyard area, It could use a facelift to help it blend in with the new environment in that area, but it's been a part of that area of downtown for my entire life, and should continue.

The only thing with Maxwell House is the smell.  It really turns some people off.

Quote:A convention center on an interstate with nothing around it for blocks besides an underutilized monorail system is hardly worth worrying about. They could convert it into something more useful like a museum for railroad history in the state of Florida and develop it as an attraction. With no hotels supporting it, it's about as useful as screen doors on a submarine.

I worked for Bucky Clarkson, a guy who was determined to build a hotel adjacent to the current convention center, and filed multiple lawsuits attempting to get the city to allow him to do exactly that probably 10-15 years ago. There was no desire at that time to build any hotels in that area. There are already a couple of major hotels on the north bank closer to the shipyards, and another major hotel chain is already lined up to build if Khan's plan is approved and comes to fruition. If you have a convention center, you need a hotel within walking distance, if not literally attached to the hotel itself. The best option for that would be to build it as part of this project in the shipyards. Otherwise, find a way to build it closer to the heart of downtown within a block or two of the existing hotels. While that would make the old courthouse an ideal location, I'd much rather see the city get the waterfront back on the tax logs, and move the jail and other facilities in that area that would allow this to happen and help to upgrade the atmosphere in that area.
I don't think the city is moving a jail that was fairly recently built to suit the whims of a owner of a football team. They might but I haven't heard anything from the city saying they would be up to the idea. FBC is also going to fight tooth and nail to prevent a large number of new night clubs from being built (the fact that they are sitting on more than 30 liquor licenses helps their cause). If we get anything more than new practice fields I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Jaguars Fundamentalist