Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What should we do with Henne?
Release him if we can't get a trade
Trade him if we can get atleast a 6th rounder
Keep him
Re-sign Todd Bouman for the 7th time as our new backup if 1 and 2 come to fruition
Corn
*Todd Bouman Tractor Signal*
[Show Results]

Should we keep Henne?

The problems are mostly with the Offensive Line protecting the QB, and the man is already paid as a backup why cut him if you dont have any other backup there?

He certaintly isnt the answer as a starting QB which many teams only want a backup that has the potential of being a starter eventually which most feel Chad will never be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Cut Henne and sign Blaine Gabbert.

The only difference would be how much the message board whiners cry about a guy that should never be counted on to help the team to a win.

Trade down.

Take a QB in the 3rd-4th with extra pick gained from trade, like Jacoby Brissett, Garrett Grayson or something.

???????????????

Success.

If they ask why I act this way..just tell'em I'm from..

[Image: below-model-jax-2013.jpg]

DUUUUUUUVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

Henne will stay unless the new OC has a guy in mind. Look at the league. Nearly all QB got hurt and then you have teams like the Texans and the Titans that were on 3rd and 4th string guys.

Point is you better have someone with experience on your roster.

Quote:Henne will stay unless the new OC has a guy in mind. Look at the league. Nearly all QB got hurt and then you have teams like the Texans and the Titans that were on 3rd and 4th string guys.

Point is you better have someone with experience on your roster.

I imagine there will be a conversation with any new OC that goes something like this:

Dave Caldwell - "Hello, we currently have a third string level QB on the roster who is using about 3% of the salary cap and making about 5% of our current payroll. Do you know of any other backup candidates that can lose games for us by 30-40 points and get paid less than 3.5 million dollars per year?"

New OC - "Wow, you morons are paying that guy more than you're paying me? I think I signed with the wrong team, any chance you could let me out of that contract I signed?"

I remember in the offseason how much better Henne got amongst the short memories around here when it was announced Bortles would sit all season. Then when Henne was actually in the games he was horrendous again. Now it seems Henne is getting better again since he hasn't played. <SMH>

Let him go, we are only a knee injury away from the backup taking over again and we know how that will play out with Henne at the helm.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Quote:I remember in the offseason how much better Henne got amongst the short memories around here when it was announced Bortles would sit all season. Then when Henne was actually in the games he was horrendous again. Now it seems Henne is getting better again since he hasn't played. <SMH>

Let him go, we are only a knee injury away from the backup taking over again and we know how that will play out with Henne at the helm.

Regards......................the Chiefjag
But replace him with who? We can't just shove him out the door and not replace him...Is there anyone available that is an upgrade to him? If not, we should keep him...People want rid of players, yet don't have anyone in mind to fill the hole created when they can them...Sure we could pick up a project QB out of the later rounds in the draft, but is that who you want to back up Bortles? As you mentioned, we are only one injury away from needing a suitable backup/starter, besides Henne, who would you want that is or will be available to be the starting QB if Bortles goes down for the season?

Quote:But replace him with who? We can't just shove him out the door and not replace him...Is there anyone available that is an upgrade to him? If not, we should keep him...People want rid of players, yet don't have anyone in mind to fill the hole created when they can them...Sure we could pick up a project QB out of the later rounds in the draft, but is that who you want to back up Bortles? As you mentioned, we are only one injury away from needing a suitable backup/starter, besides Henne, who would you want that is or will be available to be the starting QB if Bortles goes down for the season?

Let the new OC bring in someone that he feels has a grasp of his offense already.

There is no reasonable expectation that Henne would deliver anything for the team other than cashing a check as the 53rd guy on the roster. If the new OC really feels like Henne is his guy then so be it, but keeping Henne just for the sake of continuity doesn't apply at this point.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:Let the new OC bring in someone that he feels has a grasp of his offense already.

There is no reasonable expectation that Henne would deliver anything for the team other than cashing a check as the 53rd guy on the roster. If the new OC really feels like Henne is his guy then so be it, but keeping Henne just for the sake of continuity doesn't apply at this point.
But the question is WHO is or will be available? Quality QBs or good enough QBs to be a successful starter are pretty rare to find on the street unless they are old...I suppose we could bring back Garrard? Who is out there that would be an upgrade? I'm not advocating continuity, I'm saying is there really a better option available? A late round rookie from the draft or a veteran QB that is on the street (quaility QBs generally aren't on the street) is a better option than Henne? Or just get rid of him and and don't worry about replacing him with someone better, just get rid of him? We are only ONE injury away from needing our backup to be the starter...I don't think Henne is the answer, but I'm not seeing anyone who is or will be available to be an upgrade...I'd like to see him gone, but not until there is someone better to replace him with...

Quote:But the question is WHO is or will be available? Quality QBs or good enough QBs to be a successful starter are pretty rare to find on the street unless they are old...I suppose we could bring back Garrard? Who is out there that would be an upgrade? I'm not advocating continuity, I'm saying is there really a better option available? A late round rookie from the draft or a veteran QB that is on the street (quaility QBs generally aren't on the street) is a better option than Henne? Or just get rid of him and and don't worry about replacing him with someone better, just get rid of him?

The Jaguars don't need a successful starter. They need a backup, and if you're measuring someone against Henne then you don't even need a backup that's capable of helping the team to any wins, because you know that Henne won't be doing that much, anyway.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 03:34 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:The Jaguars don't need a successful starter. They need a backup, and if you're measuring someone against Henne then you don't even need a backup that's capable of helping the team to any wins, because you know that Henne won't be doing that much, anyway.
they only need a backup if Bortles doesn't go down...If Bortles goes down, then they need a starter...Your backup should be a capable starter in case your starter gets injured and it only takes one play to have a season ending injury

Quote:they only need a backup if Bortles doesn't go down...If that happens, then they need a starter
No, they'd still need a backup, they'd just need that backup to be in the game.

Like I said, you can't expect anything positive out of Henne anyway, so I expect whenever they bring in a new OC he'll tell Dave and Gus who he feels comfortable with as his backup QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see Henne released this off season. He just has an awfully big salary for a guy who doesn't really bring any benefit other than, "good locker room guy."

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:No, they'd still need a backup, they'd just need that backup to be in the game.

Like I said, you can't expect anything positive out of Henne anyway, so I expect whenever they bring in a new OC he'll tell Dave and Gus who he feels comfortable with as his backup QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see Henne released this off season. He just has an awfully big salary for a guy who doesn't really bring any benefit other than, "good locker room guy."
I said Henne isn't the answer, but WHO is a better option? If Bortles gets injured and out for weeks/season, you no longer need your backup to be a backup, your backup is now the starter...Now who is a better option that is or will be available? the backup is only one play away from becoming the starter...you don't just get rid of players for the sake of getting them gone...If there is no better option for a backup qb, then you keep him

Quote:I said Henne isn't the answer, but WHO is a better option? If Bortles gets injured and out for weeks, you no longer need your back up to be a back up, your back up is now the starter...Now who is a better option that is or will be available? the backup is only one play away from becoming the starter

If the starter is seriously injured it's already beyond worrying about wins from the backup.

The Jaguars don't have a strong enough roster at this point to carry a backup for any significant period.

If the time comes that they need a long term backup they can throw out the new OC's equivalent of the tracktor signal and sign someone short term as the second backup who already has experience with the new OC.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 03:45 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:If the starter is seriously injured it's already beyond worrying about wins from the backup.

The Jaguars don't have a strong enough roster at this point to carry a backup for any significant period.

If the time comes that they need a long term backup they can throw out the new OC's equivalent of the tracktor signal and sign someone short term as the second backup who already has experience with the new OC.
Ok so lets's just [BLEEP] can Henne, draft a 7th round QB and call our qb situation SET! :yucky:  Keep Henne until something better is available to replace him with

Quote:Trade down.

Take a QB in the 3rd-4th with extra pick gained from trade, like Jacoby Brissett, Garrett Grayson or something.

???????????????

Success.

Quote:I said Henne isn't the answer, but WHO is a better option? If Bortles gets injured and out for weeks/season, you no longer need your backup to be a backup, your backup is now the starter...Now who is a better option that is or will be available? the backup is only one play away from becoming the starter...you don't just get rid of players for the sake of getting them gone...If there is no better option for a backup qb, then you keep him

I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a guy in the 4th round honestly.  We've seen rookies in the past come in the middle of the season and do decent jobs when the starter is out.  The whole thing about the "experienced" backup is a bit flawed because they could still end up being just as terrible as a rookie.

Quote:Ok so lets's just [BAD WORD REMOVED] can Henne, draft a 7th round QB and call our qb situation SET! :yucky:  Keep Henne until something better is available to replace him with

If the new OC thinks Henne is the guy that knows his system best and would make the best backup I'd be concerned because that would mean the Jaguars signed a bad OC, but if that's what happens then so be it.

That said I don't have a name on my mind because I'm not thinking about specific QBs, I'm thinking about letting the OC advocate his own guy.

Also as someone else said I'd feel more comfortable going with a later draft pick as a backup because at least maybe you catch lightening in a bottle like with Rob Johnson and manage to turn a 4th or later round pick into Fred Taylor.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 03:50 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a guy in the 4th round honestly.  We've seen rookies in the past come in the middle of the season and do decent jobs when the starter is out.  The whole thing about the "experienced" backup is a bit flawed because they could still end up being just as terrible as a rookie.
That's very true...I wouldn't mind drafting a qb every few years, but the question still remains...Is he going to be an upgrade? If yes, do it, if not then keep Henne until something better comes along...I would be more comfortable ( still sick to my stomach) with Henne at QB than a 4th round rookie...Either way more than likely wouldn't be pretty

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:If the new OC thinks Henne is the guy that knows his system best and would make the best backup I'd be concerned because that would mean the Jaguars signed a bad OC, but if that's what happens then so be it.

That said I don't have a name on my mind because I'm not thinking about specific QBs, I'm thinking about letting the OC advocate his own guy.

Also as someone else said I'd feel more comfortable going with a later draft pick as a backup because at least maybe you catch lightening in a bottle like with Rob Johnson and manage to turn a 4th or later round pick into Fred Taylor.
so in other words you are just arguing to be arguing because you hate Henne...if you have no better player to replace your back up qb with, keep your backup

Quote:so in other words you are just arguing to be arguing because you hate Henne...if you have no better player to replace your back up qb with, keep your backup

Riiiiight.