Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tom Coughlin Hired!

I feel a little better but what the hell is his job going to be.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I feel pretty good about how the decision making will work in case like this. Dave and Doug still run their operations.  But they meet periodically with Tom. Tom is there to give a different perspective. "Have you thought about this?".

Rarely, vary rarely, when Tom thinks a major mistake is about to be made he has over-ride decision making.  

In addition.... When Khan had a firing decision to be made, the only people he could consult were those that were possibly part of the problem.  In the future, Khan now has a football guy to consult with. 

Quote:I feel pretty good about how the decision making will work in case like this. Dave and Doug still run their operations.  But they meet periodically with Tom. Tom is there to give a different perspective. "Have you thought about this?".

Rarely, vary rarely, when Tom thinks a major mistake is about to be made he has over-ride decision making.  

In addition.... When Khan had a firing decision to be made, the only people he could consult were those that were possibly part of the problem.  In the future, Khan now has a football guy to consult with. 

Tom Coughlin is a coach.  His strength is leading men onto the field.  His strength is preparing men to be their best on Sundays.

I'm happy for the hire.  But the position he's taking with the organization is not going to be a position that maximizes his strengths.

Good news is Coughlin has an eye for running backs. Dalvin Cook in teal is going to look real good next year.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 07:04 PM by GingerJag.)

Hicken saying on Action Sports that Dave and Doug will report to Coighlin. Wow..
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 07:09 PM by jvillejagsn1.)

Quote:Hicken saying on Action Sports that Dave and Doug will report to Coighlin. Wow..
This was in my eyes a definite Khan move. So we all know who to blame going forward if we continue to suck.......

Edit: No intent on making it sound like anyone else could have lol Just saying we know who to blame lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:Good news is Coughlin has an eye for running backs. Dalvin Cook in teal is going to look real good next year.

That is a positive.  He has a track record of hitting on talent...  Just wish he was roaming the sidelines, not just stalking the halls...

"Coughlin interviewed as a head coach. That is what he wanted to do," Rapoport explained. "He was very clear. He did not want to come in as an executive, he wanted to be the man on the sidelines. And then they decided to hire Doug Marrone and ... Coughlin reversed course a little bit and decided to come on as an executive."

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:"Coughlin interviewed as a head coach. That is what he wanted to do," Rapoport explained. "He was very clear. He did not want to come in as an executive, he wanted to be the man on the sidelines. And then they decided to hire Doug Marrone and ... Coughlin reversed course a little bit and decided to come on as an executive."

So according to Rappoport...  Coughlin didn't hire Marrone...  do you have a link to confirm?  

Quote:"Coughlin interviewed as a head coach. That is what he wanted to do," Rapoport explained. "He was very clear. He did not want to come in as an executive, he wanted to be the man on the sidelines. And then they decided to hire Doug Marrone and ... Coughlin reversed course a little bit and decided to come on as an executive."
I dont know what to believe, nobody want Tom as a head coach, so maybe thats why he decided to change his position? 

So Basically he will fire Marrone and Caldwell with the staff and hire himself as head coach. Seems like a good plan. I don't think he likes Bortles. 

Quote:Trying to think of his history of his first round picks  Boselli. Donovan Darius, Fred Taylor, Aaron Beasley, Wynn, RJ Soward.

Most of those players were pretty good.  Wynn was meh. Soward a total bust.  I think Tom was so stung by our devestating AFC Conference loss that he lost his mind and picked Soward.
Beasley was a third round pick.

Quote:][Image: 1hd7r3.jpg]

I hope Tom beats some [BLEEP] around here..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Ryan O'Halloran – Verified account ‏@ryanohalloran

Source on Coughlin's duties: "Would think he has the final say on everything." #Jaguars

3:38 PM - 9 Jan 2017

Quote:Ryan O'Halloran – Verified account ‏@ryanohalloran

Source on Coughlin's duties: "Would think he has the final say on everything." #Jaguars

3:38 PM - 9 Jan 2017
so if Dave wants to draft say Malik Hooker, he now needs Coughlins permission to do so? If thats the case why not just fire dave and put Coughlin in his spot?

What does an Executive Vice President of Football Operations do?  IS he above Caldwell and is he final say on draft and free agent signings?

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I feel a little better but what the hell is his job going to be.

Making the Jaguars great again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Would like to know this as well.

He will do what Parcells did and what Elway is doing.

He pretty much is the GM.

From what I can tell he has final say on the roster which mean Dave is just a lap dog who comes up with ideas to be shot down.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]