Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What tier of QB would Blake have to end up as make him worth the 3rd pick?
Brady, Manning, Rogers and Breese
Rivers, Luck, Flaco, E. Manning
Wilson, Big Ben, Stafford, Romo, Kaepernick
Foles, RGIII, Cutler, Smith, Dalton
All the Rest
Blank #2
[Show Results]

What tier of QB would Blake have to end up in to make him worth the 3rd pick?

Quote:History shows us that you do not need a top tier QB to win superbowls.  You just need a QB who is good enough.

Examples

Terry Bradshaw has 4 rings

Russel Wilson

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

Joe Nameth

Jim McMahon

Doug Williams

Mark Rypien

None of those Qb's were amoung the elite in their day and they still have a ring.  Build a great Defense and have an offense thats good enough. 
I think Dilfer and Brad Johnson type guys are more exceptions to the rule.  For the most part, the winning team typically has a stud QB.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It will be very hard for BB to live up to the hype and expectations of being the #3 pick in the draft.

Anything short of getting to the SB or maybe the AFC championship game and people will be disappointed.

Football is the ultimate team game and it's been proven over and over that 1 great player can't do it alone.

If he can lead the Jags back to the playoffs and win some playoff games I would consider that a successful pick.

He is the Jags highest ever drafted QB and there's a lot of excitement building around here, but remember he's just a rookie and there's a good chance he will sit for most of this year. When he finally gets his chance he

will undoubtedly make many rookie mistakes, but as long as he learns from them and continues to improve, that's about all we can ask of him.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I think Dilfer and Brad Johnson type guys are more exceptions to the rule.  For the most part, the winning team typically has a stud QB.
He just listed about a quarter of the SB winning qb's.Hardly an exception.

Blake will be worth a 3rd round pick if he becomes a solid, stable and consistent quarterback.  The "top tier" in this pole didn't win Super Bowls or become great on their own.  They had a lot of "top tier" talent as a supporting cast.

Put Peyton Manning or Tom Brady (during their best years) on our last season's offense, and I don't think we make the playoffs.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2014, 10:17 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:History shows us that you do not need a top tier QB to win superbowls.  You just need a QB who is good enough.

Examples

Terry Bradshaw has 4 rings

Russel Wilson

Trent Dilfer

Brad Johnson

Joe Nameth

Jim McMahon

Doug Williams

Mark Rypien

None of those Qb's were amoung the elite in their day and they still have a ring.  Build a great Defense and have an offense thats good enough.
Bradshaw was one of the best QBs in the 70s.

Quote:I don't think I said anything about Brady or manning
you stated big ben was surrounded by great players. I illustrated brady and manning probably had more talented players during their SB wins.

Quote:He just listed about a quarter of the SB winning qb's.Hardly an exception.
Okay.  Bradshaw was one of the better QBs in his era.  7 QBs out of 48 Super Bowls sounds like an exception to me rather than a rule.  Basically, unless you have the best defense in the NFL, you're not going to win a Super Bowl without a good QB.  Do you disagree?

Quote:you stated big ben won because he had great players. I think Manning and Brady had more great players supporting them.Bradshaw was one of the best QBs in the 70s.
Maybe you should do your homework before you come to school

Look at these: Bradshaw has a career rating of 70.  Yes 70

His best rating ever in a season was 88 in 1975.  He has thrown for 212 tds and 210 ints. 

He was by no means a great QB.  He was good enough to win with the steel curtain

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Maybe you should do your homework before you come to school

His best rating ever in a season was 88 in 1975.  He has thrown for 212 tds and 210 ints. 

He was by no means a great QB.  He was good enough to win with the steel curtain

I never realized that Terry Bradshaw was the 1st pick overall in the draft.

Would Jags fans be happy or disappointed if BB had a career with #'s similar to Bradshaw?

I don't mean all the SB's b/c of course we would just love that, I mean just similar #'s which basically aren't really great, but it was a less passing league back then and they only played 14 games a season.

Like MVP said, he was plenty good enough to win with the steel curtain.

If only the Jags could get a teal curtain like the Steelers had back in the day, how much easier would BB's job be.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Big Ben Tier!

I'm assuming you didn't watch football in the 70s.  It was a different game back then.  The DBs could hit the WR 15 yards down the field.....    There were about 5 elite QBs back in the 70s and Bradshaw was one of them.   (Staubach, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, Stabler, and Greise.

For his time period, Bradshaw was one of the best.  Oh, did I mention he has 2 SB MVPs to his name.  Even if you are too young to have been part of that decade, perhaps when you can afford cable tv you can watch Bradshaw when the broadcast America's Greatest Teams.... you'll see Bradshaw was clutch.   Click the link !!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07...id=3199634

Bradshaw played the bulk of his career before the 1978 rules changes that liberalized pass blocking and instituted the "one chuck rule," which prohibited DBs & LBs from bumping a receiver beyond 5 yards of the LOS. 

Football was a VASTLY different game THEN than it is NOW, and to judge Bradshaw based upon today's passer rating standards is folly.  Very few of the great QBs of that era would measure up in this era of West coast offense, 5 WR sets and specialization.

Judge Bradshaw based upon how he played in the biggest games.

As much as I hated those results, he performed basically lights out in those Super Bowls.

They beat Dallas 35-31 in Super Bowl XIII and the Rams 31-19 the next year.

The Steel Curtain did not play a significant role in those games.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Furthermore, you responded to my statement that "Bradshaw was one of the best QBs in the 70s"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07...id=3199634

http://shareranks.com/8712,Best-NFL-Quarterbacks-1970s

http://www.footballnation.com/content/to...0-1/22772/

Quote:I never realized that Terry Bradshaw was the 1st pick overall in the draft.

Would Jags fans be happy or disappointed if BB had a career with #'s similar to Bradshaw?

I don't mean all the SB's b/c of course we would just love that, I mean just similar #'s which basically aren't really great, but it was a less passing league back then and they only played 14 games a season.

Like MVP said, he was plenty good enough to win with the steel curtain.

If only the Jags could get a teal curtain like the Steelers had back in the day, how much easier would BB's job be.

It depends upon which numbers we are talking about?

If we are talking Super Bowl wins/appearances, pro Bowls, HOF?  I'd be deliriously happy.

If we are talking about things like completion percentage, yards, TDs, etc.-numbers Bradshaw compiled when the league was a run first league vs. today's game-then yes I'd be disappointed.

If you are somehow adjusting the numbers to reflect the current environment, it would depend upon the team's success with him.  If he put up "pedestrian" numbers and his performance causes the team to not win, I would not be happy.  If, on the other hand, the team has a run first offense that suppresses his numbers compared to his peers that have more of a wide open approach, and the team wins with him (see Aikman, Troy), I'll be deliriously happy.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!