Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles the next Justin Blackmon?

Quote:Can I take a moment to point out that basically everyone has assumed Blake is an alcoholic based on rumors and hearsay? We literally got a post that is basically "a friend of a friend told me."

Woah DF, stop letting facts ruin a perfectly good rumour mill!!

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Can I take a moment to point out that basically everyone has assumed Blake is an alcoholic based on rumors and hearsay? We literally got a post that is basically "a friend of a friend told me."

That's crazy, I have already come up with nicknames for him!

Quote:That's crazy, I have already come up with nicknames for him!

I'd already designed a T-Shirt print that says '99 Bortles of Beer on the wall...'

I suppose I'll just wait for facts now... THANKS!

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Quote:Everything is what it is. If you think Blake, our supposed franchise QB possibly having a drinking problem is ho-hum than so be it. I think it is a pretty big story and a pretty big deal. If true it could mean another rebuild and another draft trying to find a franchise QB setting us back another 3 to 4 years, but it is what it is.
I never said that it's "ho hum".  It's also not confirmed that he has a drinking problem.  Maturity problem?  I would buy that more.  He's a 24 year old kid with a lot of money.

I would wager that many of the young players on the team probably do similar things.

How do you fix/avoid "problems" like this?  Institute a system similar to what Tom Coughlin did with the team when he was here.  For home games the team would report to a local hotel and there was a bed check at a certain hour.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I'd already designed a T-Shirt print that says '99 Bortles of Beer on the wall...'

I suppose I'll just wait for facts now... THANKS!

That's good!

You can.

I think the dots are starting to connect though.

Quote:I think the dots are starting to connect though.
That's the same kind of thinking Jaguar Warrior uses in the political forum.

Quote:That's the same kind of thinking Jaguar Warrior uses in the political forum.

It seems that, while the OP appears a bit unreliable on its surface, several other reliable posters seemingly confirm that the OP has said.

It may only be hearsay, but sometimes hearsay is correct. If Bortles is spending too many nights at bars, it would explain his drastic decrease in performance after a promising sophomore year. 

Quote:That's the same kind of thinking Jaguar Warrior uses in the political forum.

I think that is a lot different, but I understand the skepticism.

I personally don't believe he is an alcoholic but what do I know.  I just know he is a struggling NFL player.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Being a professional athlete as your occupation is no different than being an accountant.

Wow...  I'm not even sure your argument is coherent, much less logical.

As a professional that isn't unionized, let me tell you that I don't do anything that may make me less sharp on a day I have important work to do.  Like most professionals there are days that I know will be less intense.  On those days, I may be more inclined to hang out later in the evening, or maybe even have a few drinks and pick arguments with fellow Jungle posters.

However, there is no way that I would "close down a bar" or even have a drink before a "big day".  BB5's big days are on Sunday - 16 times a year.  The guy is a professional, he should know when to blow off some steam and when he needs to get some rest for the next day's task.

Your inability to recognize this simplistic fact is typical, but still quite embarrassing...

So this is why auto correct fixes his name to Bottles. It all makes sense now.
No commercial messages in sigs

When will these guys realize.....there's not a one of them that can't be replaced.

Might be inconvenient in some cases.

All up to them.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:It seems that, while the OP appears a bit unreliable on its surface, several other reliable posters seemingly confirm that the OP has said.

It may only be hearsay, but sometimes hearsay is correct. If Bortles is spending too many nights at bars, it would explain his drastic decrease in performance after a promising sophomore year.

Sometimes. A broken clock is right two times as well but I'm not going to use it to tell the time. And I'm not going to judge the character of someone based on hearsay from people on the internet who I've never even met.

A guy I work with lives out at the beach.  He says Bortles is known around the bar(s) there.  This idea about "hearsay" as a reason not to believe is naïve.  Like JT said, if enough people see it/hear about it, conclusions can start to be drawn.  He is a young dude so I can see how he'd be out there partying a lot.  When it interferes with work though changes should be made.  It's part of the maturity process.

Huh

I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, but this conversation wouldn't have happened back in the day.  It was pretty commonplace, and documented, for star professional athletes to be out boozing until all hours of the morning.  I just find it interesting, if nothing else.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2016, 08:45 AM by jtmoney.)

Quote:I'm not saying anything is right or wrong, but this conversation wouldn't have happened back in the day. It was pretty commonplace, and documented, for star professional athletes to be out boozing until all hours of the morning. I just find it interesting, if nothing else.

Probably not. Internet, our societies focus on health (or the idea of it), players DUI's being headine news, etc... have led to that. Internet though is the driving force. Locally though we just went through an awful roller coaster of Justin Blackmon and he was also known at the beach bar scene.

Quote:Probably not. Internet, our societies focus on health (or the idea of it), players DUI's being headine news, etc... have led to that. Internet though is the driving force. Locally though we just went through an awful roller coaster of Justin Blackmon and he was also known at the beach bar scene.

And on that same token, Blackmon would probably still be playing.  Being 61, I was brought up in a time when Mickey Mantle, and Whitey Ford, Greg Luzinski, Sonny Jurgenson and countless others were known to be out all night and at times show up for games hung over or drunk and it was pretty much laughed off.  I guess it's just a change in the way society views these things over the ages.   Like I said, I just find it kind of fascinating.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I myself live at Jax. Bch. We frequent the bars every so often. Mainly Hoptinger because their food is excellent, but also Casa, The Pier and the Ritz. Hell all of them, yeah I drink a lot. I have never seen BB5 at either of them.Did see Odrick at Ritz one time.

Just saying like everyone else's observations.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:I've been on this board for a while and I have never made a thread based on a source so take that for what it is worth.  A little birdie told me that Blake Bortles may be an alcoholic.  This isn't based on someone being at the beach bars and seeing Blake Bortles wasted which many of us have heard reports of.  This is first hand knowledge over a period of time.  I don't want to give too much detail as I would like to keep the source from being outed.  The source stated that almost (and to be clear, they did specifically state almost) every night, whether at the house or at the beach bars, Blake Bortles was getting wasted.  This was the response after I asked how many drinks it was per day/night.  The source did not know an exact count, but was clear on the "getting wasted" ALMOST every day/night.  I don't like airing someone's dirty laundry as we all have skeletons in our closet and went back and forth on whether to make this thread.  The reason I shared it though is this will be exposed at some point and we might as well come to terms with this now rather than later.  Can I say 100% without a shadow of a doubt that this is true?  No.  But I can say I trust the person I'm getting this information from.  I'm sure others will share stories as well and from my limited investigation which was basically talking to people who live at the beach, I got confirmation that this wasn't out of left field.  Would any of us care if he was playing well?  Probably not which speaks more to our selfishness and desperation of wanting a winning team, but we keep asking why is Blake regressing?  This may explain why.

[Image: WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg]

And FWIW Jim Kelly was an alcoholic and a coke head (how do you think he got sinus cancer) and he did pretty good

[Image: V9hW2kPAQr8S1Jxg.jpg]