Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue are top 10 rookies

Quote:The scary part too is that, by all accounts. It SHOULD be even easier going forward for these two to put up more numbers. We've played Rivers, Rodgers & Flacco. Once you get past that you're starting to look at turnover prone QB's like Cutler, Luck (One more time), Stafford, Mariota (Twice) and Osweiler (Twice). So they have a shot at getting into the backfield and piling up sacks and creating tipped passes.

The bad news is those two guys (and the rest of our defense) will be playing against Hoyer, not Cutler.

The good news is we also will play against Alex Smith and either Trevor Siemian or Paxton Lynch.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The bad news is those two guys (and the rest of our defense) will be playing against Hoyer, not Cutler.

The good news is we also will play against Alex Smith and either Trevor Siemian or Paxton Lynch.

This is now the 2nd season where the Jags find themselves with a pretty favorable/ mostly cupcake schedule .. I'd hate to blow the opportunity in consecutive years to get into the playoffs.

Quote:This is now the 2nd season where the Jags find themselves with a pretty favorable/ mostly cupcake schedule .. I'd hate to blow the opportunity in consecutive years to get into the playoffs.

Only a fan who knows nothing about the AFC West and NFC North would say we have a favorable/cupcake schedule.

Quote:This is now the 2nd season where the Jags find themselves with a pretty favorable/ mostly cupcake schedule .. I'd hate to blow the opportunity in consecutive years to get into the playoffs.

Not calling you out...but nothing in the NFL is cupcake. It's any given Sunday.

Schedule difficulty completely aside, the Jags control their own destiny this season in my opinion because they are beating themselves in these losses much more than the opponent is "winning" them. 

Outside of that great pass and catch to end the first half by Rodgers/Adams and a few well executed plays by Rivers, this team has lost three games by shooting itself in the foot repeatedly.  (they even did it in their sole victory quite a bit)

This team would be 4-0 or at least 3-1with better discipline and consistent execution of the more basic plays and coverages. 

If they don't find themselves in wildcard contention, it's on the coaches and players.  It's no longer the talent level losing these games. It's unforced errors, poor execution, and lack of consistency. 

Gonna go out on a limb and say this is where Fowler has a break out game

Quote:Schedule difficulty completely aside, the Jags control their own destiny this season in my opinion because they are beating themselves in these losses much mores than the opponent is "winning" them.

Outside of that great pass and catch to end the second half by Rodgers/Adams and a few well executed plays by Rivers, this team has lost three games by shooting itself in the foot repeatedly. (they even did it in their sole victory quite a bit)

This team would be 4-0 or at least 3-1with better discipline and consistent execution of the more basic plays and coverages.

If they don't find themselves in wildcard contention, it's on the coaches and players. It's no longer the talent level losing these games. It's unforced errors, poor execution, and lack of consistency.

Totally agree. If the running game emerges, I think our opponents will find their offensive drives to be fewer and less fruitful.

Considering the participation of 1 year players and newly acquired free agents, I thought we would have seen more growing pains up to this point. Now we have Colvin back. Nickel just became a little less susceptible to the run. We've discussed what he brings in coverage and in rushing the passer, but he's more than willing in run support and able. If it's not base, it's nickel. Everything else is situational.

Quote:Surely you can understand any hesitation on giving credit to coaching after what we've seen this year. I hope it keeps up. I really do. But aside from winning 8-10 of the remainder of the games I don't think Gus should stick around. Which is what posed my question. Is it simply the talent or is it coaching. If the jags pulled off the victory in wk 1 and 3 and didn't get blown out wk 2 I'd say it would be both talent and that the coaching was as bad as we thought. But Gus is going to have to win a lot to be changing people's mind that the team can win despite him.

I don't see why this team should have to win 8 to 10 games to save Gus' job. Winning 7 more games would mean a non-losing record, and that's going to say plenty that Gus can win. With that said, looking at this schedule it's tough to find 6 games that you can say the Jaguars should win.

'02

Quote:I don't see why this team should have to win 8 to 10 games to save Gus' job. Winning 7 more games would mean a non-losing record, and that's going to say plenty that Gus can win. With that said, looking at this schedule it's tough to find 6 games that you can say the Jaguars should win.

The probability of winning never changes no matter who is coaching a team. It is always 50 percent. How do I know? Three words: Any Given Sunday.

Quote:I don't see why this team should have to win 8 to 10 games to save Gus' job. Winning 7 more games would mean a non-losing record, and that's going to say plenty that Gus can win. With that said, looking at this schedule it's tough to find 6 games that you can say the Jaguars should win.

Should or could?

The Jags could Win every game left on the schedule except Denver and Minnesota.

I just voted for Ngakoue on my pro bowl ballot. When you look at his stats, he actually deserves it. I wasn't even being a homer.

Quote:Should or could?

The Jags could win every game left on the schedule except Denver and Minnesota.

Definitely could, not should. "Any given Sunday, anything can happen." As unlikely as it seems now, that includes Minnesota and Denver,  Right now it is Week 6 so I will only worry about Week 6.

Quote:Ahh i see. Yes when house was benched before he came back a new player so maybe thats what he needs. I just feel colvins value is overinflated due to racking up sacks. I recall seeing him get beat often when he was on the field, so i guess we'll see

According to some geniuses on this board, benching House to motivate him was just Gus being dumb.

Quote:According to some geniuses on this board, benching House to motivate him was just Gus being dumb.

I remember everyone was mad at Gus Bradley for benching Davon House after one bad game because the guy who torched him was DeAndre Hopkins. This year all of the same fans want him benched LOL.

Quote:I remember everyone was mad at Gus Bradley for benching Davon House after one bad game because the guy who torched him was DeAndre Hopkins. This year all of the same fans want him benched LOL.

You're leaving out a few things, such as they didn't have Ramsey and Prince on the roster, and the fact that they just cut the guy who replaced House on the field.

'02

Quote:I know you were never a Fowler fan to begin with, but every time he's brought up you say the same thing man. "Only because of scheme and cleaning up plays". Since when is effort plays a bad thing and since when is coaches scheming their players into good positions a bad thing? Is that the whole point? To scheme your players into the best possible outcome, regardless?

It is rather telling that this team fits players to their scheme as opposed to teams that work to fit their scheme around their players' talents. This isn't necessarily a problems, but most football experts will tell you the latter method is preferred. Here's another example as explained by Malik...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">“That’s the hardest part, to try to do the skills they want you to do,” Jackson said. “In Denver, I could do things with my eyes closed. Now, when I get tired I can’t resort to the things I knew. I have to do the things they taught me here. It’s getting there. Game by game, it’s getting better.<em>”</em>

'02

Quote:I wasn't 'never a Fowler fan'. I believe I had him 7th after the 2 QBs, Beasley, Amari, Leonard Williams, and Bud Dupree. That's hardly hating on someone.

Effort plays aren't a bad thing, nor is being schemed into production. It's just not what you expect out of the first non QB taken in the draft. You can't stunt him every play, heck you can't do it more than just a few plays a game...which they have been doing successfully. 

At the end of the day he's gotta line up across from his man and beat him from time to time and he just hasn't done that, not even at UF. He just doesn't have the speed or bend to beat an NFL quality OT consistently. Hence why the comment that if we pretend he was a day 2 pick it would be more proper to what he is delivering. Yannick is the one delivering plays that would be indicative of an elite draft pick thus far.

I'm not sure it's fair to say he doesn't have the speed considering his 1.59 10-yard split at the combine was the fastest among DLs even beating Beasley's time.

'02

Quote:The probability of winning never changes no matter who is coaching a team. It is always 50 percent. How do I know? Three words: Any Given Sunday.

That's just dumb
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I'm not sure it's fair to say he doesn't have the speed considering his 1.59 10-yard split at the combine was the fastest among DLs even beating Beasley's time.

Fowler is plenty fast, and you can flat out see it when he plays. His biggest issue is his lack of pass rush moves, but that can improve with time.

KyJaggy doesn't care about his 10 yard split, it's all about that 3-cone drill
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Fowler is plenty fast, and you can flat out see it when he plays. His biggest issue is his lack of pass rush moves, but that can improve with time...
That's what I'm seeing too.

Better hands technique and a stronger outside move and he'll start getting home without the stunts.