Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dilla’s saying Schobert to the Steelers

He was not very good.
No Fun

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-14-2021, 10:17 AM)NH3 Wrote: It's now evident that we simply wanted to get rid of his contract due to the Jaguars favoring other MLBs on the roster.

NH3...

https://twitter.com/TheJaguarsWire/statu...21668?s=20

No one is saying Jack and Wilson aren't superior ILB's. They are, but you need to carry 4 decent ones into the regular season. Injuries do happen, unfortunately.

I am just glad we got rid of that contract tbh.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 11:32 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-14-2021, 10:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I disagree with your stance on cap space.   We can say with 100% certainty that at some point in the next few years, we will be over the cap and have to rearrange things to get back under it.  So the time to start saving cap space is now.   A $10 million savings (or whatever Schobert's contract is) right now can be carried into the future.  And I guarantee you, at some point in the future, we will be glad we saved that money.   Because that will be one less guy we will have to cut in the future when we really need him.   

You should NEVER carry a bad contract just because you have cap space.  Because that wasted money will come back to bite you in the future.

What is the difference if we would have kept him this season and moved him next season? 

Simple question... simple answer: $7 million.   That's $7 million worth of cap space we will absolutely, certainly need down the road.

(08-14-2021, 11:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 10:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What is the difference if we would have kept him this season and moved him next season? 

Simple question... simple answer: $7 million.   That's $7 million worth of cap space we will absolutely, certainly need down the road.

You betcha.

[Image: 1430b9ca4da0007f956add5d61bca516.gif]

(08-14-2021, 11:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 10:21 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What is the difference if we would have kept him this season and moved him next season? 

Exactly instead of 7 mil sitting on the bench and plus the dead cap we would of ate if we cut him next year

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 12:50 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I'm confident in Quarteman also

(08-14-2021, 10:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 09:33 AM)anonymous2112 Wrote: All I remember is that there were plenty of people whining about signing Schobert last year.  Said it was expensive, it was chasing need, said the guy was overpaid, used it as proof Caldwell was worthless.  Now getting at least something for the guy who was about to be the most overpaid player on the team is somehow a bad move.  Sent out of the division to a team we don't play this year. 

I think we all agree the guy was overpaid, and would then be overpaid to ride the pine if he stayed.  Guys, it may not seem that way, but we got market price.  We'll know later this year if it was us or the Steelers that got the better end of the deal.  I haven't visited the Pittsburgh site, but I would guess they aren't jumping up and down over this trade.

I wish Schobert luck with his new team and still hope the Steelers implode.

I didn't like the Schobert signing at all. That doesn't impact my argument for giving him away now, when we lack depth at ILB. As bad as Schobert was as a starter, he still would have been one of the better backups in the league.
You don't pay 7-10 mil for a backup MLB

I guess so. If you think the jags would have been stuck with the contract and impossible to trade him later on.

This is a really good analysis, inclusive of many factual stats, summarizing Schobert's on the field play

https://www.draftace.com/2019/01/13/joe-...-run-game/

(08-13-2021, 10:08 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 09:11 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Arrived on cue!

Sorry but some of us have a brain and don't just go with the status quo.  You were probably on Dave Caldwell's jock too.
That “brain” of yours doesn’t understand the cap.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 02:57 PM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-14-2021, 10:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 08:19 AM)RicoTx Wrote: And so what if we suffer injuries at LB?  So what?  You said yourself we are not in the playoff discussion.  What is it costing  not having him as 'a high priced backup'?  Zero.  Nada.  Zilch.  As I said, the outrage is ridiculous.  Some people just look for things to be pissed about.

The better team we have around Trevor now both on offense and defense, the quicker his progression will be. I don't wanna see a rookie QB come in and have to play from behind every week. I wanna see him progress in a natural manner and not have to throw 35-50 times a game, because we are always down by 20+ points due to injuries on the defense and lack of depth. Think.

LOL.  Whatever.  So Schobert would have been keeping us from playing behind every week.  Man, I'd like to live in your fantasy world.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-14-2021, 02:57 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 10:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The better team we have around Trevor now both on offense and defense, the quicker his progression will be. I don't wanna see a rookie QB come in and have to play from behind every week. I wanna see him progress in a natural manner and not have to throw 35-50 times a game, because we are always down by 20+ points due to injuries on the defense and lack of depth. Think.

LOL.  Whatever.  So Schobert would have been keeping us from playing behind every week.  Man, I'd like to live in your fantasy world.

Yeah, Schobert wasn't gonna make a difference.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(08-14-2021, 12:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 11:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Simple question... simple answer: $7 million.   That's $7 million worth of cap space we will absolutely, certainly need down the road.

Exactly instead of 7 mil sitting on the bench and plus the dead cap we would of ate if we cut him next year

We could have cut him after this season with a zero deap cap hit. There's an out in his contract after 2021.

(08-14-2021, 04:02 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 12:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Exactly instead of 7 mil sitting on the bench and plus the dead cap we would of ate if we cut him next year

We could have cut him after this season with a zero deap cap hit. There's an out in his contract after 2021.

Um, no - that's not how the cap works.  The Jags would have still been on the hook for the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus.

(08-14-2021, 04:09 PM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 04:02 PM)Eric1 Wrote: We could have cut him after this season with a zero deap cap hit. There's an out in his contract after 2021.

Um, no - that's not how the cap works.  The Jags would have still been on the hook for the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-s...ert-19053/

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 04:52 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-14-2021, 12:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 11:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Simple question... simple answer: $7 million.   That's $7 million worth of cap space we will absolutely, certainly need down the road.

We would have traded him next year, not cut him, so there would be no dead money.

(08-14-2021, 02:57 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 10:16 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The better team we have around Trevor now both on offense and defense, the quicker his progression will be. I don't wanna see a rookie QB come in and have to play from behind every week. I wanna see him progress in a natural manner and not have to throw 35-50 times a game, because we are always down by 20+ points due to injuries on the defense and lack of depth. Think.

Maybe, if we had some injuries on defense. You never know what will happen. After Quarterman, our ILB depth is pure trash.

lageman and boselli both said that didn't like it for what it's worth.

(08-14-2021, 06:07 PM)Jag88 Wrote: lageman and boselli both said that didn't like it for what it's worth.

I love Boselli.. But I stopped listening to what he had to say years ago.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2021, 06:37 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(08-14-2021, 02:53 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 10:08 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Sorry but some of us have a brain and don't just go with the status quo.  You were probably on Dave Caldwell's jock too.
That “brain” of yours doesn’t understand the cap.
Look at our open cap right now.  Last I looked we are #1 in the league right now.  We will be #1 in the league going into next year Shobert or not.  A 17 game season can be rough on linebackers.  An injury or two or three Shobert could be missed.  Yes it's a ton to pay for a backup but it isn't like we are spending to the cap anyway.  Who cares if we have $100million dollars in cap space when we are only spending $75 million for metaphoric purposes.

(08-14-2021, 03:15 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 02:57 PM)RicoTx Wrote: LOL.  Whatever.  So Schobert would have been keeping us from playing behind every week.  Man, I'd like to live in your fantasy world.

Yeah, Schobert wasn't gonna make a difference.

He was one of the team leaders in tackles last year.  Despite people saying he sucked he was productive.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(08-14-2021, 06:35 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 02:53 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: That “brain” of yours doesn’t understand the cap.
Look at our open cap right now.  Last I looked we are #1 in the league right now.  We will be #1 in the league going into next year Shobert or not.  A 17 game season can be rough on linebackers.  An injury or two or three Shobert could be missed.  Yes it's a ton to pay for a backup but it isn't like we are spending to the cap anyway.  Who cares if we have $100million dollars in cap space when we are only spending $75 million for metaphoric purposes.

(08-14-2021, 03:15 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Yeah, Schobert wasn't gonna make a difference.

He was one of the team leaders in tackles last year.  Despite people saying he sucked he was productive.

And we won how many games?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]