Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Etienne out for season

(08-24-2021, 11:44 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 02:43 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Essentially the second flushed pick of the two we got for Ramsey.

Making guys like Meyer your GM is how you waste a generational talent at QB.

I thought it was a mistake pick from the beggining. A Trevor friend pick.

Urban probably panicked when he couldn't get Najee Harris one pick before. Should have had the forsight to trade up for Najee instead of making a panic pick.

(08-24-2021, 11:06 PM)Firesky Wrote: It's unfortunate, but it's a part of the game and out of anyones control. The reaction of this board you'd think that Trevor Lawrence had suffered a season ending injury not Etienne.

We still have James Robinson, it's not like we're now devoid of talent at RB to take pressure off Lawrence. Etienne will be back next season; Linsfranc injuries are bad news but Brian Westbrook, Leveon Bell, & Julio Jones all went on to have career years immediately following a Lisfranc injury the season prior.

I figured at BEST if several things went right we might compete for the last wildcard spot, or injuries to Derrick Henry, other QB's etc. make an easy path for us to contend in the division. As long as Trevor develops and stays healthy this season is a win.

I'm reserving judgement on the Etienne pick until I actually get to see him play next year. As much as people hate RB's in the first, guys like Rashard Mendenhall & Chris Johnson went back to back late in the first round and they worked out just fine. If Chris "CJ2K" Johnson were to have suffered a similar circumstance in that he missed his rookie year and came back 100% the next year, and went on to have the same success I think every Tacks fan would be very cool with that. I think Etienne has the homerun hitting potential to be a "budlight version" of what Chis Johnson was for those late 2000's Tacks teams. Let the kid play before we go to the Modis building, he really doesn't deserve this amount of hate and backlash and i'll bet he feels just as torn up as most on this board do.

Chris Johnson 4.3 40.
Etieene 4.45. 40. Not even in the same ballpark.

(08-24-2021, 07:08 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Of all the players to get a lisfranc, it’s the one whose game is elite speed. Definitely #becausejaguars.

He only runs a 4.45 40, so not elite speed at the NFL level although he did rely on speed to excel against college level players.

There's a reason I said "budlight version" of, Etienne has gamespeed and burst in a similar fashion; definitely was not suggesting he had the speed of the fastest combine 40 time rb of all time.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-24-2021, 11:06 PM)Firesky Wrote: It's unfortunate, but it's a part of the game and out of anyones control. The reaction of this board you'd think that Trevor Lawrence had suffered a season ending injury not Etienne.

We still have James Robinson, it's not like we're now devoid of talent at RB to take pressure off Lawrence. Etienne will be back next season; Linsfranc injuries are bad news but Brian Westbrook, Leveon Bell, & Julio Jones all went on to have career years immediately following a Lisfranc injury the season prior.

I figured at BEST if several things went right we might compete for the last wildcard spot, or injuries to Derrick Henry, other QB's etc. make an easy path for us to contend in the division. As long as Trevor develops and stays healthy this season is a win.

I'm reserving judgement on the Etienne pick until I actually get to see him play next year. As much as people hate RB's in the first, guys like Rashard Mendenhall & Chris Johnson went back to back late in the first round and they worked out just fine. If Chris "CJ2K" Johnson were to have suffered a similar circumstance in that he missed his rookie year and came back 100% the next year, and went on to have the same success I think every Tacks fan would be very cool with that. I think Etienne has the homerun hitting potential to be a "budlight version" of what Chis Johnson was for those late 2000's Tacks teams. Let the kid play before we go to the Modis building, he really doesn't deserve this amount of hate and backlash and i'll bet he feels just as torn up as most on this board do.

Would you just stop making sense.  Its panic time or did you not get the memo!

(08-24-2021, 02:58 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: the worst thing about the injury is this happens every year it seems. Jags lead the nfl in injurys to key players.   sad thing is if you won the super bowl by that jags would be nfl champs for the last serveal years.  unforttanttly we don't. 

Myer should keep  trevor on the bench until they get a better offenssive liine.

Tank for Evan Neal!!!

(08-24-2021, 03:00 PM)Brett Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 02:58 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote: the worst thing about the injury is this happens every year it seems. Jags lead the nfl in injurys to key players.   sad thing is if you won the super bowl by that jags would be nfl champs for the last serveal years.  unforttanttly we don't. 

Interesting stat Wolfie! Would love to see your source, sounds like a fascinating read.

Football Outsiders actually has created a method to calculate this out:

Just as some examples. They have done it every year for awhile.

Jags were about middle of the pack last year if you exclude COVID, but faired well with that included.
They were snakebitten in 2018 and 2019.
Of course, 2017 was the golden year.
In 2016, they were middle of the pack.

(08-24-2021, 03:35 PM)Mikey Wrote:

do they? who was the key players we lost last season?

Are we honestly going back to Foles to cry poor us? Judging by how he played afterward both here and at other places we weren't missing much while he was out .

Let's not fool ourselves and make like we just lost a McCaffrey or Barkley. Etienne played limited snaps so far this preseason and wasn't really lighting things up when his number was called.

As on opposing argument, Ameer Abdullah looked like the next Barry Sanders in his first preseason and turned out to be nothing. Having a good/bad rookie preseason has no significant predictive value.

(08-25-2021, 02:05 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Tank for Evan Neal!!!

(08-24-2021, 03:00 PM)Brett Wrote: Interesting stat Wolfie! Would love to see your source, sounds like a fascinating read.

Football Outsiders actually has created a method to calculate this out:

Just as some examples. They have done it every year for awhile.

Jags were about middle of the pack last year if you exclude COVID, but faired well with that included.
They were snakebitten in 2018 and 2019.
Of course, 2017 was the golden year.
In 2016, they were middle of the pack.

(08-24-2021, 03:35 PM)Mikey Wrote: do they? who was the key players we lost last season?

Are we honestly going back to Foles to cry poor us? Judging by how he played afterward both here and at other places we weren't missing much while he was out .

Let's not fool ourselves and make like we just lost a McCaffrey or Barkley. Etienne played limited snaps so far this preseason and wasn't really lighting things up when his number was called.

As on opposing argument, Ameer Abdullah looked like the next Barry Sanders in his first preseason and turned out to be nothing. Having a good/bad rookie preseason has no significant predictive value.

Hopefully, history won't repeat itself. In game # 2 of Ameer Abdullah's 2nd season vs. Tennessee, it looked like he was going to have an impactful season. He then suffered a season ending foot injury. I don't think Abdullah regained his pre-injury skills.  Much like Kevin Jones didn't the previous decade after suffering a career altering foot injury.  

Every injury is different. But it's more than understandable to be concerned about Travis Etienne being able to get back to his pre-injury form.

(08-24-2021, 03:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 03:12 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Do we really forget that quickly how needs bases reaches have crippled this franchise before?

I don't care, a first round RB at this stage in this franchise's life is a bad pick. I would rather have another big body on either side of the ball at 25 than ETN. If you can't find one big guy worthy of the 25th pick in this draft then you should fire your scouts.

You mean like when we got Jawan Taylor at the top of the 2nd round, tons of people had us mocked to take him at like #7 or wherever we picked.. lol just cause they play the position we need don't mean their good.

I’ll admit I knew nothing about Agnew before he signed for the jags so excuse me if this is a ridiculous idea, but following Twitter through training camp it seems he’s taken handoffs and been used a bit running routes, is it realistic to hope he could potentially fill etiennes role in the offence

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 08:00 AM by ATLjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

Rams just completed a trade with the Patriots for Sony Michel, for 5th and 6th round picks. The Rams needed to replace Cam Akers. It would have been an interesting move for the Jags to replace Etienne on the roster. Michel does not have Etienne's speed, but is versatile.

(08-25-2021, 07:59 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Rams just completed a trade with the Patriots for Sony Michel, for 5th and 6th round picks.  The Rams needed to replace Cam Akers.  It would have been an interesting move for the Jags to replace Etienne on the roster.  Michel does not have Etienne's speed, but is versatile.

Great deal for both teams. Pats had a surplus of RB's with the emergence of Rhamondre Stevenson and the Rams needed the depth. I think Michel will be a major contributor for the Rams. He was really misused in New England.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 09:26 AM by Upper.)

The fact that some of y'all can just shrug off the injury as if we'll be just fine cause we have Robinson and whatever else just proves how bad of a pick it was in the first place. We were NOT in the position to be taking luxury picks at any point in the draft, much less the first round.

(08-25-2021, 09:26 AM)Upper Wrote: The fact that some of y'all can just shrug off the injury as if we'll be just fine cause we have Robinson and whatever else just proves how bad of a pick it was in the first place. We were NOT in the position to be taking luxury picks at any point in the draft, much less the first round.

I still think it was a good pick, and I also reject the notion that him getting injured in preseason has any bearing on whether it was a good pick or not.  I also reject the assertion you made, that just because some people say stupid stuff, that makes it a bad pick.

(08-24-2021, 06:41 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 06:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Should have played Etienne at WR after all.

I don't even think he's hurt.  This is all part of the Urban Master Plan to have players rested for the playoffs.

AP: Jags re-sign Tebow after tryout at running back

you shut your mouth. you shut it right now.

Smile

(08-25-2021, 07:59 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Rams just completed a trade with the Patriots for Sony Michel, for 5th and 6th round picks.  The Rams needed to replace Cam Akers.  It would have been an interesting move for the Jags to replace Etienne on the roster.  Michel does not have Etienne's speed, but is versatile.

no, we don't need to throw picks at a bandaid for a guy who probably was gonna get a handful of touches a game.

If you're concerned about speed and versatility, just keep Tavon Austin on a one year deal or look to the final cuts next weekend and someone in the same mold.

(08-25-2021, 09:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 09:26 AM)Upper Wrote: The fact that some of y'all can just shrug off the injury as if we'll be just fine cause we have Robinson and whatever else just proves how bad of a pick it was in the first place. We were NOT in the position to be taking luxury picks at any point in the draft, much less the first round.

I still think it was a good pick, and I also reject the notion that him getting injured in preseason has any bearing on whether it was a good pick or not.  I also reject the assertion you made, that just because some people say stupid stuff, that makes it a bad pick.

It was a bad pick before the injury, taking running backs in the first round that aren't Hall of fame type candidates going by their measurables (Fred Taylor types) are bad picks based on value. Now that he's injured it's a bad pick that may not even contribute like a high tier running back, which is what the hope would be.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2021, 10:04 AM by TLawIsEnforced.)

Time to get really serious about the Jaguars going 0-17!!!!

(08-25-2021, 10:03 AM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote: Time to get really serious about the Jaguars going 0-17!!!!

How often do people tell you to shut up?

(08-25-2021, 09:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 09:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I still think it was a good pick, and I also reject the notion that him getting injured in preseason has any bearing on whether it was a good pick or not.  I also reject the assertion you made, that just because some people say stupid stuff, that makes it a bad pick.

It was a bad pick before the injury, taking running backs in the first round that aren't Hall of fame type candidates going by their measurables (Fred Taylor types) are bad picks based on value. Now that he's injured it's a bad pick that may not even contribute like a high tier running back, which is what the hope would be.

Agreed.  Especially ones that are supposed to be small speed backs but only run 4.45 40s. Which is fast but not elite at the NFL level.

Looking like another first round bust.

(08-25-2021, 11:06 AM)cincyjacket Wrote: Looking like another first round bust.

This was a Trevor Lawrence Friends & Family pick by Urban

(08-25-2021, 11:10 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 11:06 AM)cincyjacket Wrote: Looking like another first round bust.

This was a Trevor Lawrence Friends & Family pick by Urban

He would have still been around in the 2nd round though. Didn't need to draft him in the first.

I am now starting to see why Jags fans get one of the worst reputations for fan bases in the league. Not because we don’t go to games, but because we have so many hot stupid takes.