Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Case For Evan Neal at 1

Pickens and Ross would be cool. I’m alright that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-01-2022, 06:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Pickens and Ross would be cool. I’m alright that.

Pickens has made a name by making a few good catches, but he totally disappears in most games. He is as inconsistent as they come and Ross is a walking medical red flag. Neither of these guys are in my top 150 players.

Neal is not even working out at the combine. Already knocking him down a peg in my book.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-01-2022, 07:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 06:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Pickens and Ross would be cool. I’m alright that.

Pickens has made a name by making a few good catches, but he totally disappears in most games. He is as inconsistent as they come and Ross is a walking medical red flag. Neither of these guys are in my top 150 players.
I think Pickens goes higher than you think. He was playing on a run first team with an average QB. I think he will be good.

Ross certainly is a mystery but he’s got some skills.

Will Ross go to the combine or workout at his pro day?

(03-01-2022, 07:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 07:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Pickens has made a name by making a few good catches, but he totally disappears in most games. He is as inconsistent as they come and Ross is a walking medical red flag. Neither of these guys are in my top 150 players.
I think Pickens goes higher than you think. He was playing on a run first team with an average QB. I think he will be good.

Ross certainly is a mystery but he’s got some skills.

Will Ross go to the combine or workout at his pro day?

I think Pickens probably gets chosen in round 2 or early round 3, but personally, I wouldn't even look at him until round 6 and I wouldn't even consider drafting Ross at all.

(03-01-2022, 08:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think Pickens probably gets chosen in round 2 or early round 3, but personally, I wouldn't even look at him until round 6 and I wouldn't even consider drafting Ross at all.

It sucks that the situation with Pickens is what it is, but he also showed enough flashes that I think he could be really good and would be stoked with him at 65. I agree he likely goes round 2 though.

It's kind of sounding like how you treated Little last year predraft. If you disqualify anyone who didn't have a pristine situation you're going to be limiting yourself a lot.

(03-01-2022, 08:38 PM)Upper Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 08:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think Pickens probably gets chosen in round 2 or early round 3, but personally, I wouldn't even look at him until round 6 and I wouldn't even consider drafting Ross at all.

It sucks that the situation with Pickens is what it is, but he also showed enough flashes that I think he could be really good and would be stoked with him at 65. I agree he likely goes round 2 though.

It's kind of sounding like how you treated Little last year predraft. If you disqualify anyone who didn't have a pristine situation you're going to be limiting yourself a lot.

Absolutely not. Pickens has played enough to know what he is, which is highly inconsistent. With Little, I was against drafting him because his body of work wasn't large enough for me to even make an accurate assessment of him. I had no clue if he was gonna be good or bad, because he hadn't played in 2 years. They are very different situations. 

This is a very, very deep WR draft. Why select a guy with any major red flags when there are so many other good WR's to choose from? I'd much rather use the #33 and beyond to select Jahan Dotson, David Bell, Wan'Dale Robinson, Jalen Tolbert, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Khalil Shakir, Romeo Doubs, John Metchie, Jalen Nailor, Deven Thompkins, Calvin Austin, Charleston Rambo, Samori Toure, Dontarrio Drummond, Dai'Jean Dixon, Jaivon Heiligh, Tay Martin or Josh Johnson.

(03-01-2022, 07:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Neal is not even working out at the combine. Already knocking him down a peg in my book.

What a moron. I actually was on the draft Neal bandwagon til this. 

He needed the combine to prove he's an athletic freak - draftniks even said the combine would dis-spell any doubts about him being a consensus #1 pick. Screw that loser.. I guess he knows that he's just a fat loser that will quit when he gets his contract.

Stay far away from this fat sack of crap.

(03-01-2022, 06:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Since we're not hiring an EVP and we all know how bad Baalke is at drafting, this is how I see our draft going.......

1. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
2. Drake Jackson, DE/OLB, USC
3. George Pickens, WR, Georgia
3. Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson
4. Thayer Munford, OG, Ohio State
5 Cade Otten, TE, Washington
6. Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
6. Kana'i Mauga, ILB, USC
6. Kolby Harvey-Peel, S, Oklahoma State
6. Tyreke Smith, DE/OLB, Ohio State
7. Jaquari Roberson, WR, Wake Forest
7. Dawson Deaton, C/OG, Texas Tech

I hate these picks. I think I just threw up in my mouth.

....but did you pick these particular picks because you hate them? This is getting to TMD levels of spraying the entire board with this stink.

If you're this bitter about our outlook, take a breather. We get that you hate Neal, you hate Baalke, no need to keep reminding everyone. If everything plays out terribly, come back in May and remind us that you were visionary in your assessment. I'll be the first to applaud you.

(03-02-2022, 10:18 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 07:36 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Neal is not even working out at the combine. Already knocking him down a peg in my book.

He needed the combine to prove he's an athletic freak - draftniks even said the combine would dis-spell any doubts about him being a consensus #1 pick. Screw that loser.. I guess he knows that he's just a fat loser that will quit when he gets his contract.

This is a pretty sane reaction

(03-02-2022, 10:18 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Dude. You good?

Fat sack of crap loser? It's a 20 year old kid who it most likely listening to his team about whats the best course of action for him.

https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1...yu5ZSJccJg

(03-02-2022, 11:01 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-01-2022, 06:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Since we're not hiring an EVP and we all know how bad Baalke is at drafting, this is how I see our draft going.......

1. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
2. Drake Jackson, DE/OLB, USC
3. George Pickens, WR, Georgia
3. Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson
4. Thayer Munford, OG, Ohio State
5 Cade Otten, TE, Washington
6. Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
6. Kana'i Mauga, ILB, USC
6. Kolby Harvey-Peel, S, Oklahoma State
6. Tyreke Smith, DE/OLB, Ohio State
7. Jaquari Roberson, WR, Wake Forest
7. Dawson Deaton, C/OG, Texas Tech

I hate these picks. I think I just threw up in my mouth.

....but did you pick these particular picks because you hate them? This is getting to TMD levels of spraying the entire board with this stink.

If you're this bitter about our outlook, take a breather. We get that you hate Neal, you hate Baalke, no need to keep reminding everyone. If everything plays out terribly, come back in May and remind us that you were visionary in your assessment. I'll be the first to applaud you.

No. I think these are legitimately viable candidates that Baalke will target based on his time as GM of San Francisco. 

I wasn't this bitter when I actually thought Khan cared about winning. He manipulated fans into believing he would make major changes in order to get this team back on track for 2022. Now that that isn't happening for at least another season, I'm ticked off! It's frustrating to see fans who were just as angry during the season, now settle back into complete apathy and unwilling to hold Khan accountable for his deception. Some of the people on this board have a "Cleveland Browns" mentality. You've become so used to the abuse that this team inflicts on it's fanbase that you just lie down and take it. I've been a fan of this team since it was announced that Jacksonville was getting a franchise and it's been since 2007, that I've even thought that we've had a chance to be decent. That's entirely too long. We had one fluke year 2017 and anything good that came of that got dashed when we lost all of our top players. We have the worst franchise of any major sports team, because the owner just doesn't care. As long as he's making money, all is right in the world for him. I long for the days when Wayne Weaver owned this team. At least he gave a crap.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2022, 04:57 PM by TrivialPursuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-02-2022, 11:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 10:18 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: What a moron. I actually was on the draft Neal bandwagon til this. 

Dude. You good?

Fat sack of crap loser? It's a 20 year old kid who it most likely listening to his team about whats the best course of action for him.

No offense... I've seen old men do that... at under 6' tall.

And being a Bama fan.. I've seen all the can't-miss OT prospects that all turned out to be lazy and fat the next level.

(03-02-2022, 04:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 11:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dude. You good?

No offense... I've seen old men do that... at under 6' tall.

And being a Bama fan.. I've seen all the can't-miss OT prospects that all turned out to be lazy and fat the next level.
No offense. But that’s a 6 foot 7 300 pound tackle. That’s not something an “old man” can do at that size.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2022, 07:03 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-02-2022, 06:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 04:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: No offense... I've seen old men do that... at under 6' tall.

No offense. But that’s a 6 foot 7 300 pound tackle. That’s not something an “old man” can do at that size.

https://youtu.be/BHHcssgjARY

(03-02-2022, 07:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 06:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: No offense. But that’s a 6 foot 7 300 pound tackle. That’s not something an “old man” can do at that size.

https://youtu.be/BHHcssgjARY
Is that guy 6 foot 7 300 pounds or no? That’s the point.

Are you really trying to downplay his athleticism?

(03-02-2022, 07:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 07:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: https://youtu.be/BHHcssgjARY
Is that guy 6 foot 7 300 pounds or no? That’s the point.

The guy is 72 years old for God's sake. That trumps being tall and fat. 

I'm not trying to down play anything. I just don't know how jumping and doing splits on boxes is supposed to translate to being a good NFL player.

(03-02-2022, 07:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 07:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is that guy 6 foot 7 300 pounds or no? That’s the point.

I'm not trying to down play anything. I just don't know how jumping and doing splits on boxes is supposed to translate to being a good NFL player.
Good for the old man.

And I’m not saying that it automatically translates to being a good NFL player.

I’m just saying that what he’s doing isn’t normal and it’s very athletic someone his size.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2022, 08:20 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-02-2022, 11:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 11:01 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....but did you pick these particular picks because you hate them? This is getting to TMD levels of spraying the entire board with this stink.

No. I think these are legitimately viable candidates that Baalke will target based on his time as GM of San Francisco. 

I wasn't this bitter when I actually thought Khan cared about winning. He manipulated fans into believing he would make major changes in order to get this team back on track for 2022. Now that that isn't happening for at least another season, I'm ticked off! It's frustrating to see fans who were just as angry during the season, now settle back into complete apathy and unwilling to hold Khan accountable for his deception. Some of the people on this board have a "Cleveland Browns" mentality. You've become so used to the abuse that this team inflicts on it's fanbase that you just lie down and take it. I've been a fan of this team since it was announced that Jacksonville was getting a franchise and it's been since 2007, that I've even thought that we've had a chance to be decent. That's entirely too long. We had one fluke year 2017 and anything good that came of that got dashed when we lost all of our top players. We have the worst franchise of any major sports team, because the owner just doesn't care. As long as he's making money, all is right in the world for him. I long for the days when Wayne Weaver owned this team. At least he gave a crap.

Well, FWIW, the buzz is that the Jaguars will be aggressive in free agency...and this is coming from Pederson and Baalke themselves.

Pederson mentioned he wanted to re=sign Cam Robinson and DJ Chark.

Even though I created this very thread, I can see the wisdom in retaining Robinson.  I've long been a Chark proponent.

I've gotten the sense that whether they resign Chark and Cam or not, they will go after bigger name players, as opposed to the flaccid and disappointing approach we saw last year.

Whether this translates into actually signing any of the guys they want, much less showing improvement/Khan's desire to win remains to be seen.

But the tabling of the FVP aside, I like what I've heard thus far.

(03-02-2022, 07:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 07:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is that guy 6 foot 7 300 pounds or no? That’s the point.

I think it's supposed to be an indicia of his explosiveness, just like the vertical and broad jump in the combine.

But I'm disappointed in Neal not working out, because the drills at the combine are supposed to measure lateral quickness in linemen, among other things.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 07:06 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 9 times in total.)

(03-02-2022, 08:15 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 11:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. I think these are legitimately viable candidates that Baalke will target based on his time as GM of San Francisco. 

Well, FWIW, the buzz is that the Jaguars will be aggressive in free agency...and this is coming from Pederson and Baalke themselves.

Pederson mentioned he wanted to re=sign Cam Robinson and DJ Chark.

Even though I created this very thread, I can see the wisdom in retaining Robinson.  I've long been a Chark proponent.

I've gotten the sense that whether they resign Chark and Cam or not, they will go after bigger name players, as opposed to the flaccid and disappointing approach we saw last year.

Whether this translates into actually signing any of the guys they want, much less showing improvement/Khan's desire to win remains to be seen.

But the tabling of the FVP aside, I like what I've heard thus far.

(03-02-2022, 07:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The guy is 72 years old for God's sake. That trumps being tall and fat. 

I think it's supposed to be an indicia of his explosiveness, just like the vertical and broad jump in the combine.

But I'm disappointed in Neal not working out, because the drills at the combine are supposed to measure lateral quickness in linemen, among other things.

Grammar police on patrol here, Bullseye.  I'm only telling you this because you're obviously a very smart guy, probably the best writer on this board, unexcelled in content and composition.   But I gotta say it, because you done this quite a few times, and I think you'd like to know.  

"Indicia" is plural for "indication."  You can't have "an" indicia.  

As to your description of last year's free agency as "...flaccid and disappointing...," those are exactly the words I would use.  I was very surprised last year when we drafted Trevor and hired Meyer and then didn't try very hard in free agency, even though Meyer said he wanted to win immediately.  I remember Meyer talking about how good our roster looked, and what I think happened was, he really had no idea what an NFL roster looked like.  And since he was used to college players, he took a look at our guys and thought he could win a bunch of games (due of course to his magical coaching ability).  Meyer basically said there was no "re-building" necessary, and that it was a one-year plan, which was obviously a supreme level of overconfidence in his own abilities and a lack of understanding of what a good NFL roster should look like.

I really thought Meyer would be a good coach.  Maybe that was just my natural optimism.  Man, was I wrong.  Waaaaay wrong.