Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2016 Free Agency Wishlist

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016, 12:47 AM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:I think Vernon and Jackson both go for just a little bit over 10 mill per year and Osemele goes for 8ish.  
You're low on all 3.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You're low on all 3.

Home town discounts call those low...
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:IMO, that would be significantly overpaying Vernon and Jackson and underpaying Osemele.  I think Vernon and Jackson both go for just a little bit over 10 mill per year and Osemele goes for 8ish.  

I'd up each of those by $2-3 million.

Quote:I'd up each of those by $2-3 million.
As would I

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016, 02:47 AM by FreeAgent01.)

I guess you guys are entitled to your opinions, but even with the projected increase in spending, I don't see Olivier Vernon and Malik Jackson becoming the 2nd and 3rd highest paid defensive ends in the league behind JJ Watt this offseason.  Eight million would make Osemele the highest paid guard in the league, 2nd highest paid RT, and close to the top 10 at LT.  $14 million for a LDE who's career high sack total is 6 is absurd... That's like giving Jared Odrick 14 million last year instead of the 8.5 that he got...

IMO, you'll see Vernon sign something like 5 years 55 million and Malik like 5 years 50 million.  Jerry Hughes only got 9 million per year last season so I don't expect similarly valued players to make 60% more than him in just 1 year.  Derek Wolfe got 4/36 last month so I assume Malik will see a modest bump above that.

Malik got offered 5 years 50 million from Denver and declined......I think he will get 13 a year

Quote:I guess you guys are entitled to your opinions, but even with the projected increase in spending, I don't see Olivier Vernon and Malik Jackson becoming the 2nd and 3rd highest paid defensive ends in the league behind JJ Watt this offseason. Eight million would make Osemele the highest paid guard in the league, 2nd highest paid RT, and close to the top 10 at LT. $14 million for a LDE who's career high sack total is 6 is absurd... That's like giving Jared Odrick 14 million last year instead of the 8.5 that he got...

IMO, you'll see Vernon sign something like 5 years 55 million and Malik like 5 years 50 million. Jerry Hughes only got 9 million per year last season so I don't expect similarly valued players to make 60% more than him in just 1 year. Derek Wolfe got 4/36 last month so I assume Malik will see a modest bump above that.

This is the reason why guys like Vernon and Jackson are going to see significantly more than what you've proposed:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14701089/vinny-curry-philadelphia-eagles-agree-5-year-4725-million-contract'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14701089/vinny-curry-philadelphia-eagles-agree-5-year-4725-million-contract</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Malik got offered 5 years 50 million from Denver and declined......I think he will get 13 a year

Not really declined.  They offered it and it hasn't been accepted.  They are in negotiations. Ultimately, I think it'll be 10.5 - 11 million or a player friendly contract.  The only way Jackson sees 13-14 million per year is if the Jags and Raiders got into a bidding war for him and got I hope not.  He's a good player, but he's not even worth 10 million, let alone 14.  I'm not making him the 6th or 7th highest paid non QB in football.  How does this guy make Julio Jones or AJ Green money again?

Quote:This is the reason why guys like Vernon and Jackson are going to see significantly more than what you've proposed:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14701089/vinny-curry-philadelphia-eagles-agree-5-year-4725-million-contract'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14701089/vinny-curry-philadelphia-eagles-agree-5-year-4725-million-contract</a>

That's a 9.5 million dollar contract for a comparable player... If anything it reinforces 10-11 million.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016, 03:13 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:That's a 9.5 million dollar contract for a comparable player... If anything it reinforces 10-11 million.

If Jackson was already offered 50 mill do you think he'll be offered about the same on the open market? Of course not. If Curry signed a 47 mill contract BEFORE Free Agency do you think this year's top available pass rusher will sign a contract similar to one that wasn't inflated on the open market? That number will climb significantly in Free agency because that is what Free Agency is...especially this year where half the league has 30 million or more in cap space to use.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:If Jackson was already offered 50 mill do you think he'll be offered the same on the open market? Of course not. That number will climb significantly in Free agency because that is what Free Agency is.

First off, it was just a rumor. Secondly, I don't think there is any team in the league [BLEEP] enough to offer an above average player at a non premium position more money than Julio Jones or AJ Green.  Its just not going to happen.

Quote:...especially this year where half the league has 30 million or more in cap space to use.

Do you know what happens the day after teams start giving lesser players superstar money?  Every player in the league begins demanding these huge contracts.  Teams aren't so naive to think that since we have this sudden influx of money that they can pay pieces like superstars and then not expect their superstars to start asking for 25 million and every starter to ask for 10 million.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016, 03:19 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:First off, it was just a rumor. Secondly, I don't think there is any team in the league [BLEEP] enough to offer an above average player at a non premium position more money than Julio Jones or AJ Green. Its just not going to happen.
Quote:Do you know what happens the day after teams start giving lesser players superstar money? Every player in the league begins demanding these huge contracts. Teams aren't so naive to think that since we have this sudden influx of money that they can pay pieces like superstars and then not expect their superstars to start asking for 25 million and every starter to ask for 10 million.

WR isn't a premium position either. And every year someone gets paid more that the guy from last year. It's the nature of Free Agency. This is happening by design of the new CBA and it will continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

Quote:WR isn't a premium position either. And every year someone gets paid more that the guy from last year. It's the nature of Free Agency. This is happening by design of the new CBA and it will continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

I beg to differ that WR isn't a premium position.  It's the second highest paid position in the NFL behind only QB.  The new CBA will allow all the players to see a relative proportional increase in pay with the stars seeing maybe a slightly higher percentage increase... Not a 40% spike overnight...

Quote:I beg to differ that WR isn't a premium position. It's the second highest paid position in the NFL behind only QB. The new CBA will allow all the players to see a relative proportional increase in pay with the stars seeing maybe a slightly higher percentage increase... Not a 40% spike overnight...

We shall soon see won't we?

Quote:We shall soon see won't we?

Yessir.  <3 free agency and the draft.

I mean the cap is constantly rising so every year the contracts get bigger and bigger didn't it raise by 12 mil this year? That's Jackson right there,as we know the actual value of the player normally never meets the market value in FA unless you find gems such as Marks

Quote:I beg to differ that WR isn't a premium position.  It's the second highest paid position in the NFL behind only QB.  The new CBA will allow all the players to see a relative proportional increase in pay with the stars seeing maybe a slightly higher percentage increase... Not a 40% spike overnight...
WR premium position? Panthers made the SB with.... the elite Ginn. Broncos got absolutely nothing out of their WRs pretty much the entire playoffs. Patriots have pretty much never had an elite WR outside of Moss (Edelman is good but he got absolutely smoked in the AFC championship game)

Out of the top 10 in receiving yards this year, 4 made the playoffs. WR is important but its always QB and pass rusher. Thats the big ones.

Quote:I beg to differ that WR isn't a premium position.  It's the second highest paid position in the NFL behind only QB.  The new CBA will allow all the players to see a relative proportional increase in pay with the stars seeing maybe a slightly higher percentage increase... Not a 40% spike overnight...

Per Spotrac:

Top Non-QB Contracts for 2016:

Ndamukong Suh   DT    - $19.062mil

Justin Houston      LB    - $16.833mil

JJ Watt                  DE    - $16.667mil

Calvin Johnson     WR   - $16.207mil (Likely to retire)

Marcell Dareus     DE    - $16.095mil

Mario Williams      DE    - $16.000mil

Gerald McCoy      DT    - $15.866mil

AJ Green              WR   - $15.000mil

Robert Quinn       DE    - $14.253mil

Julio Jones           WR   - $14.251mil

Then players like Revis, Peterson and Sherman at CB show up with Demaryius Thomas in the mix.

Point is, DE and DTs are already getting paid, and in the Top 10 non-QB list, there are currently 3 WRs, 2 DTs and 4 DEs (I see you Justin Houston!).

Jackson and Vernon will get PAID.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Quote:WR premium position? Panthers made the SB with.... the elite Ginn. Broncos got absolutely nothing out of their WRs pretty much the entire playoffs. Patriots have pretty much never had an elite WR outside of Moss (Edelman is good but he got absolutely smoked in the AFC championship game)

Out of the top 10 in receiving yards this year, 4 made the playoffs. WR is important but its always QB and pass rusher. Thats the big ones.

And Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl so does that mean QB isn't a premium position either?  Wes Welker was pretty darn good and Rob Gronkowski is essentially their number one receiver.  He also had Aaron Hernandez for a few years.  Let's not act like Tom Brady hasn't had anybody around him.